Thread: Europe Total War : Aims and Goals

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Icon14 Europe Total War : Aims and Goals

Hello,

This is an essay about our mod, it was first released in our dev forum but I need to know what you you think about that.

I'm here to explain you what I'm searching in this mod and why do I need your help. We all know that TW series are only based on history and the main goal is just to overall your ennemies before they do so. On the opposite, I hope you've tested them, series like Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron, are also based on reality but the main goal is to lead a country as if you were a real ruler. So we must forget world conquest in a hundred years war and other stuff like that.

The aim of ETW will be to goes closer to these series than any other Med2 mods. You'll say that this is complicated since big mods like DLV has been out and use a very developped economic system and mods like EBII have really accurate units. But you can still make a little country as offensive as Attila was.

In ETW we will have to forget that a mod is just good unit, good scripts, good map and a good faction choice. It's all that and more in the same time. These mods lacks of something that brings all these features in a "all in one". I think, but maybe I'm wrong and correct me if I am, that this can be changed. Indeed mods forget so much about what Med2 allows so here are my suggestion to make ETW much more realistic.

1. The old ones and well none

- Make a realistic map, with correct names, factions, but in a wargame the map is just a second point of view, we can even make a "role play map" that this wouldn't be so boring for wargamers. But here we are in TW so a good eye-candy is a "must-have" (although I would like to try one day a strategic map like Medieval first on med2).

-Make a realistic unit list/faction roster. Units should be new as possible and historically correct

-Better AI that make AI faction's behaviour logical and the same for battles.

-Forget the Med2 basics like peasant spearmen etc, we will use a new base more realistic.

2. The new ones

-A system of faction choices. As like as EUIII you will be faced to decision that will impact on your kingdom. For instance the refusal of a french king to use peasant people in a war will give you new nobles army but will increase rebellion possibility in your kingdom and you won't be able to recruit peasant for some turns. Lot's of choice can be used in the game to make it more realistic.

-Then we will need to avoid that an army can catch million of towns in a few years. My idea is easy, we will stop the use of the royal treasure each year and we increase the cost of an army in a foreign country and make regions income less important. Then we will use the system of missions to give the player some gold, when a mission is reach he we'll have new coins to invest in army or in buildings. This way he won't be able to choose all the area he wants to conquer.

- A intelligent recruitment system. Indeed as explained Genava in the french topic a noble is never recruit, nobles are nobles and are warrior at their first glance. That means that you can for instance recruit nobles warriors just when you build a building that is sensed to increase the nobility growth (new castle etc...), that means it will cost nothing to hire nobles but on the contrary they will cost a lot when at war because of their equipment (horses, peasants...). Other ideas can be bound in the french topic (you google translation). Peasant will be automatically hired when a city is under siege etc.

-The better use of trade in the campaign map. Because all the factions are not true warriors, some can choose the economic way, that means we will have to search for historical ressources and to make them important in game.

If you have yourself some new good idea don't hesitate to post their, if you haven't understand this post say it too, I'm not english and I'm not really good at writing english.

If you have yourself some new good idea don't hesitate to post their, if you haven't understand this post say it too, I'm not english and I'm not really good at writing english.
    Suggest/comment/add everything you want, we need more ideas to complete this.

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Default Re: Europe Total War : Aims and Goals

This sounds like a very good remake of the game and very promising at that.

These two parts really made my jaw drop, if you manage to do them I will worship you like a God:
    - A intelligent recruitment system. Indeed as explained Genava in the french topic a noble is never recruit, nobles are nobles and are warrior at their first glance. That means that you can for instance recruit nobles warriors just when you build a building that is sensed to increase the nobility growth (new castle etc...), that means it will cost nothing to hire nobles but on the contrary they will cost a lot when at war because of their equipment (horses, peasants...). Other ideas can be bound in the french topic (you google translation). Peasant will be automatically hired when a city is under siege etc.

-The better use of trade in the campaign map. Because all the factions are not true warriors, some can choose the economic way, that means we will have to search for historical ressources and to make them important in game.
    Other than that, I would like to ask, aside from making this game more accurate both historically and more true to the feudal system (I assume that's where you're going with those) and adding a lot more strategical depth, what else do you wish to achieve with this?
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Re: Europe Total War : Aims and Goals

For now I think this is the main goals of the mod, but I have one problem and not the least : I don't have historian to help me. And I prefer doing nothing than doing bad. I want a perfect mod from concept to accuracy so I DO need help with history.

Almost 20 historians send me a pm or a mail to offer help but each time they disappeared so I think I have the Pyramids syndrome, people are dying because I spoke to them Anyway if you can help, or find someone to help me with history then the mod will be able to continue.
    Actually the mod is stopped because I don't have buildings to introduce in the game. So I can't go further.