Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Suggestions (pre version 4 - now redundant)

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Unit Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    it can be fair to say the faustians had copied/stolen/replicated the avalon technology.
    Wait, didn't they have the avalon/chevaliers like troops before they decided to rethink their units? Why would they copy something that was already proved obsolete?

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

God damn, fine. Wow you guys just tore that up huh. @ Agamemnon: I dont know, because the rule of cool says so.

Jeez, it was just an idea.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

I think part of the issue is the nature of the mod, we all have our own conceptions as to what is right. For historical mods we a can refer to a history book to see what is actually correct. Even for TATW, one can refer back to the books to see what was or wasnt written. We dont have that, so we all mentally fill in the blanks, and obviously we all paint that picture slightly differently.

In the end no one is right or wrong, and these discussion are interesting, if nothing else.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Sorry Massive_attack,that wasn't my intention at all.
    I respect your work and your tastes in creating skins. What do you think about making the Forlorn Hope recruitable from cities?Just an idea...

Oh and TFON:don't worry about the Fasut troops not looking like the ones in Empire,that gives them something like a "steam-punkish" feeling,very appropriate in Thera IMHO.

What is steam punkish ? (again, Im soooooooo uncool,). IIRC Forlorn Hope can be recruitted from cities via royal armoury (although I know that is very high teir)

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Mmmm I don't have cities that large in my Faustian Campaign IIRC,will need to check.

As for what steam punk is...a-ehm...imagine cyber punk with steam-based technology instead of chip,cyborgs and the like. Hell,someone here is probably more capable than me at explaining...

Sorry, massive_attack, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. However, making forlorn hope recruitable earlier would be cool, and a militia zweihander would, too.

Citizen

Its fine, I lost my head. I already apologized to TFON via pm (and submitted my vashta work ), and i feel compelled to apologize here too. It just felt like you guys were ganging up on me a bit, and it hurt, thats all.

Maybe the militia zweihander unit, if it was made at all, could replace the forlorn hope's spot, and just be available sooner ? -Edit: in the city roster, i mean.

Making the Forlorn Hope available sooner from cities rather than castles could be experimented,I think. Maybe reduce their morale and upkeep cost to reflect their "militia and assorted scum" status...so it would be needed to keep the General around their spot to keep an eye on them.

It will need to be tested,but it's feasible I suppose.

And thanks for your work on the Vashta,hope it gets released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraunon View Post
    It will need to be tested,but it's feasible I suppose.
    I can promise you nothing in Thera is ever released without the most exhaustive testing, normally by myself via auto campaigns run in excess of 500 turns for balance and stability testing, and then normally by selected beta testers (who are always sworn to secrecy upon pain of death)

This is why I like to claim Thera is one of the most stable and CTD-less mods available.

( I know you didnt imply anything counter to this, but i just like to reiterate it whenever possible )

Oh don't worry TFON,some good old advertising never hurts.
    I know Thera is extensively tested,just another one of the many many things I love about it

Citizen

True, i havent crashed once playing thera, and ive been tinkering with it a ton

Edit: which either means im a better modder than i give myself credit for or this mod is amazingly stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    Edit: which either means im a better modder than i give myself credit for or this mod is amazingly stable.
    More than likely a little from column A and a little from column B

IMHO, Thera is to date THE ONLY mod I have NEVER had a crash with and I consider the most stable mod out there
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

How do you run an auto campaign, anyway? I have always wondered, since I would like to see which factions are strongest or if they are all equal in M2 and RTW.

Citizen

@Agammemnon: I assume you mean a campaing with minimal player interference ? The answer is simple: let all your territories go rebel, except for an island settlement, the more out of the way the better, then disable the FoW and observe.

Alternatively, you can have your faction be run by the computer. This way the regional power struggle isnt messed up and you can see how good your faction does under AI control. (unsure how to do this, i know its a console command)

Of course, there usually arent many repeatable patterns with regards to this or any mod, in the early-mid game perhaps, but everyones late game is unique, there are too many random variables for it to be otherwise.

(what im saying is that its unlikely that your "study" will yield much interesting information)

The exception of course is if a faction is badly imbalanced, in which case they will die or dominate in every game. I doubt there is such a faction in thera though...
    Last edited by Massive_attack; September 06, 2010 at 12:22 PM.

You need to run a hotseat campaign, you then give control of your starting faction to the AI and take control of an off map or dead until resurrected faction. This way the AI plays all the active or live factions. If you turn off FoW it is actually quite interesting to watch (well to me anyway), the results swing wildy. This is why I feel the mod has hight replayability, since there is rarely a repeated result.

During V3 testing the campaign was on several occasions left running for up to 48 continous hours (the campaign runs much quicker with FoW on), several times, screens of the strat map progress can be seen in the the threads within this forum.
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 06, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Cool. Thanks, TFON and Massive_Attack, I've always wondered.

I will dig out a few random screenies and post them here

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

test run V3 30 Nov turn 168

test run v3 23 nov turn 113

v3 test 2 turn140

test run v3 28-29 Nov turn 113

Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 06, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Cool.