Page 1 of 62 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Suggestions (pre version 4 - now redundant)

Default Unit Suggestions (pre version 4 - now redundant)

First of all, I really enjoy playing this mod, for the simple fact that I can choose to play with my favorite soldiers of all timeframes, and let them fight against each other. Good job on delivering what I wished for

Now for the reason why I made this topic. I don't see any unit suggestion thread anywhere (and I know why, because the unit cap has almost been reached, but I think some units could just be removed from the mod, as they aren't very relevant or very special). Anyway, I'd really like to see some new units in the next release.

First of all, for the Uruk Dominion, I'd love to have a specialized Uruk gunpowder unit. I know Uruks aren't really ranged warriors (more like kickass CQC units) anyway I'd REALLY love to see a Uruk sniper/commando/marksmen style unit, able to hide anywhere etc. And while I know that Uruks despise helmets, I'd love to see some high elite warriors (i.e. Uruk Bodyguards and my suggested unit) with the LotR Uruk helmets. Just my personal taste I guess.

Furthermore, I'd love to see one simple, and probably a very stupid suggestion: Romuli Legions wearing gloves. No, I'm not kidding, but imho the legions are already able to afford some of the finest armour in all Thera, so why not get it, along with some nice leather gloves.

That's all I have for now.

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Unit Suggestions

Welcome to the forum,Mr Expendable,I'm glad you like this mod.

Unfortunately,the limit cap has been reached already,what the team is trying to do is a very slow and careful assessment of what units could be removed(or at least that's what I figured out,hope I'm not really really wrong).

A lot of suggestions have already been made,but there's a big turmoil already regarding a possible merging of two factions in order to include another one,so I'd say it is unlikely that we'll see something of the like for quite some time. We'll have to wait and see.

The main factor going against your suggestion,I think,is that the Dominion is pretty much fully funcional already:TFON seems satisfied ATM,and a lot of people including myself agree with him. As a semi-gunpowder unit you get Ly Kan croosbows,they already are lethal enough I'd say...also the whole"skulking around" isn't very in line with the Dominion style...

As for the leather gloves to the Romuli...modification to the Romuli skins and models seems to be a no-no,so your legionnaires will have to stick with something else to warm their hands with.

Anyway TFON himself should give you far better answers than mine,I apologize if I said something wrong.

And now get back to Thera,there's so many factions and units to see that I wonder how you could even manage to think about something as leather gloves...!!!!!

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

I also welcome you to our little community, MrExpendable. I won't address your specific suggestions, other than to say thanks for taking the time to make them. I will say that TFON and the crew are working on some pretty amazing stuff for V4. So stay tuned!
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

The Uruk Dominion already has Ly Kan crossbows which fire rocket bolts, aswell as the reptarri gunmen. So my personal feeling is that the faction has no need of any new missle units. Given the EDU limit, I dont feel it would be the best use of a unit slot.

A Nice idea though none the less

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

A viking unit for Valhalla that uses the Viking Longsword and doesn't wear tights (the only thing the mod is missing).

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

or a Viking greatsword unit.

That is what I meant-but one-handed, using a round shield with an iron boss in the center. Also, he should be wearing either a red or fur cloak, and he should be covered in a knee-length chain-mail hauberk.
    What would be really cool would be to give him a great or longsword for primary weapon, and a greataxe for secondary or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Agammemnon View Post
    That is what I meant-but one-handed, using a round shield with an iron boss in the center. Also, he should be wearing either a red or fur cloak, and he should be covered in a knee-length chain-mail hauberk..

What would be really cool would be to give him a great or longsword for primary weapon, and a greataxe for secondary or something.
    Do you understand the mechanics of secondary weapons ?

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Well, it is possible. The CoW team have Black Orc Destroyers that carry not just a two-handed club/axe, but also two one-handed weapons as a secondary. The AI uses them quite well actually

That is the unit I want (it's already in-game, I know), but with pants instead of tights!
    And no, I don't really. Not for M2.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

In RTW, switching weapons was a lot quicker and the AI used them effectively. Sometimes I just feel that M2TW is a downgrade from RTW rather than an upgrade.

Well, when you think about all the things that are better, though, it isn't. And I wouldn't really want my Vikings to use axes in melee, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Well, it is possible. The CoW team have Black Orc Destroyers that carry not just a two-handed club/axe, but also two one-handed weapons as a secondary. The AI uses them quite well actually
    But to what use? We have viking units that use swords, and we have units that use two handed axes, so the unit would use a slot without adding of worth in my opinion. The slots are being used on factions that need them, inorder that we have more unquie factions (like the Lao Che, Romuli, Dominion are unquie). The Dracule for example are currently pretty much a chiv clone, and the Privateers a Renn clone, in V4 through best use of the available slots both these factions will become much more unquie.

Then replace the ones with tights! I'm sorry, but the tights look wierd on Vikings.

Then replace the ones with tights! I'm sorry, but the tights look wierd on Vikings.
    Your opinion is heard and noted.
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 02, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks, sorry about that.

Thanks, sorry about that.
    No apology is necessary, we are all friends here and entitled to our opinions. So long as opinions are expressed in a positive and in a civil manner (which yours were), I take no issue with them.

The players have had a huge influence on how the mod has developed from its humble beginings in V1, without hearing those opinions the mod would not of reached its present state.

Thanks.
    There really wasn't a problem, and they might just be shown having thier pants tucked into thier boots, but it looked wierd.

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Mmm so the only problem would be with pants,not weapons?Because IIRC there's a unit using 1handed axes as well...

And yes,aspecially with javelin throwing units,RTW was a lot better...

Anyway I hope the Privateers will keep at least part of their Renn feeling,i liked the duality in their roster from renn units and pirate units,it was a very important part of their character IMHO.

The slots are being used on factions that need them, inorder that we have more unquie factions (like the Lao Che, Romuli, Dominion are unquie). The Dracule for example are currently pretty much a chiv clone, and the Privateers a Renn clone, in V4 through best use of the available slots both these factions will become much more unquie.
    I'd like to see some more distinctive units for them as well. Maybe you could make some kind of vampire/bat warriors for Dracule? (could use a retextured version of those beefed up winged reptarii monsters for them.)
    And how about Blood Guards? Blood knights carrying pikes. The Dracule look like they could use some more heavy infantry.

Privateers.. Don't really know the lore behind them, but I think they should have soldiers who learned from the Indian factions (lessons in survival, hunting ect.) as they seem to keep to have some shared history/lore. Maybe use the greystroke rifleman model, merged with an Indian longbow? Like some kind of vague hunter/colonist unit, carrying an iron tomahawk as secondary weapon.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 62 12345678910112651 ... LastLast