Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 241

Thread: Your Ancestors

  1. #161

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    My luxemburgish side dates back to the 1500's. What they did for a living? I have no clue.

    The Persian side, well I don't really know.

  2. #162
    Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rouen, Françe
    Posts
    2,102

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    My Ancestors were from ancient Georgian tribe - Colchians. one of them was prist in the orthodox church, which located in west Georgia and called Ilori's st. Georges church. todayvillage Ilori is under the occupation of the Russian army and I heard, that Russian soldiers destructed some unique medieval murals !

  3. #163

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    On my mom's side I have many ancestors who were soldiers in the Ottoman Empire. My great-something grandpa was a high-ranking Janissary officer who revolted with other Janissaries against Sultan Mahmud II, the guy on the left. I also have Egyptian blood, so I guess I might be an ancestor of Narmer, the first pharaoh of Egypt. I am Palestinian as well.







    My dad is black (African-American), so I don't really know which regions of Africa his ancestors are from. So instead, here's a pic of Rihanna.




    I also have small drops of Chinese and Caucasion blood in my veins.
    Last edited by KoalaAkbar; August 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

  4. #164

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    My ancestors were uncivilized Baltic peasants and treehuggers.
    Last edited by -Shakal-; December 25, 2011 at 03:48 AM.

  5. #165

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Come from Poland. I don't know much more, but I prefer the eventuality I have perhaps a winged hussar as great-great-great... grandfather, than the possible fact that all of my ancestry is a bunch of peasants.

  6. #166
    Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quite an interesting history on my part:
    On my mother's side, I have German settlers, Bavarians to be exact, coming to settle at request of one of the Hungarians kings (it could be any one of them, however most like after the Mongol Invasion period, to repopulate areas devasted by the Mongol massacres) up to the mid 14th century. Interesting fact: many people love it if they have noble blood in them? Funny thing is, in the county where my ancestors where part of the so called 'middle noble class' (possesing a large herd, armor and weapons of their own, and a huge-to large manor) Veszprém in western Hungary, the Káli basin to be exact had an exetremely funny situation from the 12th century onward: there were NO I repeat NO peasants only nobles from the lowest class to the highest i.e Barons living there. Imagine how extremely difficult it was to go to court for some crime... 'I am a middle class noble of middle-low birth so I outrank you! You will pay for letting your herds graze on my territory!' 'Wait a second, no you're not! I'm a lower middle class noble of upper-middle birth! I outrank you!' - Kudos to any who got the John Cleese reference

    On my father's side, I have the Bornemissza's, a noble family that rose to prominence in the 15th century, they were the ones who held the fort of Eger, against the Ottoman invasion in a ratio of 500 to 1 (as some accounts say) in the 16th century, besides that, a Hungarian noble line that streches as far back as the 14th century, the heraldic emblem of the family is a mounted soldier with the head of a defeated foe on his sword, judging from that doesn't seem my ancestors were a peaceful lot nevertheless the number of relatives dying at the age of 25-30 during times of occupation, and hardship throughout the centuries, aswell as a letter from the Prince of Transylvania commeding my ancestors for leading an armed rebellion against the Austrian during the 16th century suggest a really colourful and patriotic past, one that I can be really proud of.

  7. #167
    Hengest's Avatar It's a joke
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,515

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by Jihad4Life View Post
    On my mom's side I have many ancestors who were soldiers in the Ottoman Empire. My great-something grandpa was a high-ranking Janissary officer who revolted with other Janissaries against Sultan Mahmud II
    You know janissaries were eunuchs right?

    Here's a mummified janissary missing his conical helmet:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    just joking


  8. #168
    Righteous Fury's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Well, being an American, I'm kind of a mutt... I've tried to backtrack my ancestory, but there are so many obstacles in trying to discover these things. What I've managed to figure thus far, is that, from my father's side, I am English, Irish, German and Croatian (that I know of so far). From my mother's side, I get more German, French, Austrian, Polish, Prussian and Jewish(again, that I have found thus far). I would really love to track it further, but time and money are at a premium.
    NEVER SUBMIT
    NEVER SURRENDER


  9. #169
    Dr. Croccer's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,988

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    One half are Irish peasants and fishermen from the very Western shore of Ireland, the other are more murky, but come from the east of the Netherlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.





    Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

    Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

    Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

    Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

  10. #170

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    I've always had a problem with my ancestory. My mother's side is 100% Italian. Except it stops there. For my grandfather lived in an orphanage in Italy, so the lineage stops there. Can't track parents that don't exist. My father's side is 100% German, and when my Grandfather migrated to America from Germany, they butchered his last name at, Ellis Island I believe? So I'm still attempting to find out what our original last name was, for it was "Americanized."

  11. #171
    diez's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    I can trace my ancestors from my father-father side,back to the early 19th century.At the time they were living in Central Peloponese in Greece...Later they moved to Epirus,most likely,because there was too much violence in the area at the time(not sure though).My family were mostly farmers and/or builders,stonemasons actually.A notable one,was my greatgrandfather who did manage to ambush/trap,kill some and finally make a group of about 20 Italians surrender,or something similar.
    I will try my mother's side too,her origins are from Epirus too,but they have a name of Turkish origin.

  12. #172

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post
    A notable one,was my greatgrandfather who did manage to ambush/trap,kill some and finally make a group of about 20 Italians surrender,or something similar.
    I think a bit of backstory is required before people start getting confused with this Why is this a good thing??
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

  13. #173
    diez's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    LOL,some hours after I wrote this I happened to hear the story again...My great-grandpa and a few others managed to force a group of about 30-40 Italians to retreat,and hide in cave...They did trapped them in there,and killed some of them,who tried to counter-attack until the rest surrendered.
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisowen View Post
    I think a bit of backstory is required before people start getting confused with this Why is this a good thing??
    Well,the fact that something is "notable" does not mean it is good or bad...I think is just worth mentioning(and I think it is in this case).
    Besides that,why is this so bad?He was defending his homeland from invaders...Nor they did anything gruesome to the surrendered enemy.Also,a few professional soldiers could do great harm to the nearby villages,as they did later,by burning some of them,and killing many not able to fight people.

  14. #174

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    What I mean is, what were the circumstances? When did it happen? I don't expect that your granddad went on a rampage for no reason. Was it WWII? I am partly interested and partly trying to forewarn you that some people may be like- wha?
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

  15. #175
    diez's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Yes it was during the WW2.My fault,for not mentioning from the start,but i thought you would understand when I talked about Italian invaders.It was during one of the Italian assaults in the mountainous areas of Epirus.Sorry,I don't know any more information about this.
    Last edited by diez; January 19, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

  16. #176
    Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisowen View Post
    What I mean is, what were the circumstances? When did it happen? I don't expect that your granddad went on a rampage for no reason. Was it WWII? I am partly interested and partly trying to forewarn you that some people may be like- wha?

    Yet again Owen you struck comedic gold. I've been laughing for a good thirty seconds.
    Let me set the scene: It is an autumn night. The greek village is all but calm, save for a few loud Italians camping outside the settlement. The Italians, having come for R&R to the beautiful greek countryside having been partying hard. Ever since their arrival they have been watched by greek farmer, by the name of Diez's grandfather. The villagers got on with them quite good: they could sell their surplus goods, such as fresh vegetables and the like at an increased price to the Italians (who even in a foreign land could not go without eating pasta for even a day).

    One day however, everything changed. The Italians rode into the city on their red horses, which they called "Ferrari's". They approached the village elder, demanding an audience with (due to the bad dictionary that they brought with them) translated roughly to: I wish an audience with your king!
    The elder, knowing the customs of old, decided that the descendants of the ancient kings must be brought. Unfortunatley for our Italians friends, the "village" they had camped in front of was none other than the ruins of Sparta.

    The king, (who for some reason beared the name Leonidas) came forth. What is it that you want? - He asked in a furious tone.
    Yet again our Italians friends, due to the incompetence of the writers of the dictionary asked instead of: We would like some mineral water and some housing for the night, said instead:
    Earth, and water.
    Unbeknownst to the Italians, they had just signed their death warrant. The Spartans, who remembered the tales of old, believed the Persians had come back for another round of good old fighting to the death. They threw the Italians into the village well.

    The next scene was nearby, in the town restaurant (named Thermopülai) where the Italians asked: (again due to the bad translation) instead of saying: Please give me a fork and spoon, they said something along the lines of: Lay down your weapons!
    To which the answer was: Molon labe! - Come and take them.

    The next night the greeks descended upon the Italian encampment, armed with Haplon shields and spears, like their ancestors of old, they forced the Italians into a cave where they started killing them, however the Italians were saved when the nearby authorities, who were just putting up signs near the village: WARNING THIS VILLAGE CONTAINS DANGEROUS, VIOLENT GREEKS (EVEN MORE THAN THE ATHENIANS) found the Italians and rescued them.

    Well atleast that scenario played in my head reading that comment.
    Edit: Diez has answered the question. Blast. They should seriously start making a show where they take Persian tourists to Sparta, just for the fun of it.
    Last edited by Diodredai; January 21, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

    Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

  17. #177
    Jimmy-j's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by Diodredai View Post

    Yet again Owen you struck comedic gold. I've been laughing for a good thirty seconds.
    Let me set the scene: It is an autumn night. The greek village is all but calm, save for a few loud Italians camping outside the settlement. The Italians, having come for R&R to the beautiful greek countryside having been partying hard. Ever since their arrival they have been watched by greek farmer, by the name of Diez's grandfather. The villagers got on with them quite good: they could sell their surplus goods, such as fresh vegetables and the like at an increased price to the Italians (who even in a foreign land could not go without eating pasta for even a day).

    One day however, everything changed. The Italians rode into the city on their red horses, which they called "Ferrari's". They approached the village elder, demanding an audience with (due to the bad dictionary that they brought with them) translated roughly to: I wish an audience with your king!
    The elder, knowing the customs of old, decided that the descendants of the ancient kings must be brought. Unfortunatley for our Italians friends, the "village" they had camped in front of was none other than the ruins of Sparta.

    The king, (who for some reason beared the name Leonidas) came forth. What is it that you want? - He asked in a furious tone.
    Yet again our Italians friends, due to the incompetence of the writers of the dictionary asked instead of: We would like some mineral water and some housing for the night, said instead:
    Earth, and water.
    Unbeknownst to the Italians, they had just signed their death warrant. The Spartans, who remembered the tales of old, believed the Persians had come back for another round of good old fighting to the death. They threw the Italians into the village well.

    The next scene was nearby, in the town restaurant (named Thermopülai) where the Italians asked: (again due to the bad translation) instead of saying: Please give me a fork and spoon, they said something along the lines of: Lay down your weapons!
    To which the answer was: Molon labe! - Come and take them.

    The next night the greeks descended upon the Italian encampment, armed with Haplon shields and spears, like their ancestors of old, they forced the Italians into a cave where they started killing them, however the Italians were saved when the nearby authorities, who were just putting up signs near the village: WARNING THIS VILLAGE CONTAINS DANGEROUS, VIOLENT GREEKS (EVEN MORE THAN THE ATHENIANS) found the Italians and rescued them.

    Well atleast that scenario played in my head reading that comment.
    Edit: Diez has answered the question. Blast. They should seriously start making a show where they take Persian tourists to Sparta, just for the fun of it.
    Splendid , I'd like to +rep you for that, but I can't I need to +rep someone else first. But nice story though

  18. #178

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy-j View Post
    Splendid , I'd like to +rep you for that, but I can't I need to +rep someone else first.
    Seconded,

    These posts have great laugh out loud moments

    PIPA and SOPA are “the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.” - Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian

  19. #179

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Going a ways back: from my mom's side, Hungarian my ancestors were landed nobility originally from Transylvania and later moved to Hungary. From my dad's side my ancestors were officers in the Ottoman army, they were of Circassian origin and ended up in Egypt.

  20. #180
    Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Your Ancestors

    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordZ View Post
    Going a ways back: from my mom's side, Hungarian my ancestors were landed nobility originally from Transylvania and later moved to Hungary. From my dad's side my ancestors were officers in the Ottoman army, they were of Circassian origin and ended up in Egypt.
    WoW! First of all, hello there my distant cousin! I too am partly too a member of a Hungarian noble family from Transylvania. That's a pretty colorful past . So right now you are in Egypt I presume? Which language is the "offical" household language? Turkish, or Hungarian? There must be alot of fighting on how many hours did the battle of Mohács last, was the siege of Belgrade a honorful victory or not and the like .

    Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •