Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman810i View Post
    Is it even possible to trace your ancestors back to like 1400?
    My family has several books that trace our ancestry back far, mine even goes to the 800's.

It has a lot of names but few stories, one notable one is a rather tall guy Egil Skalurgrimsson that axed a kid when he was 8.

More on my ancestry:

My family originally came from the Baranya region in Hungary. I'm also 1/16 German, so I have some German ancestors

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

Indefinitely Banned

My family has some roots in Livonia. So perhaps I might have connections to the livonian order, and so to the teutonic order But atleast I am a finn.
    Last edited by The Kybrothilian; May 23, 2011 at 04:51 AM.

diez's Avatar Biarchus

guys,i ve seen some of u tracing ancestors into the middle-ages...how da u found em?u have an animus or something?
    Last edited by Meneth; May 25, 2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Censor bypass

Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post
    guys,i ve seen some of u tracing ancestors into the middle-ages...how da fu.ck u found em?u have an animus or something?
    I got it from genealogy websites, church records and some from my family

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by diez View Post
    guys,i ve seen some of u tracing ancestors into the middle-ages...how da fu.ck u found em?u have an animus or something?
    Church records and wishful thinking. Also genghis khan

Half of my family comes from Germany.. And we actually managed to trace our family back to Philipp Melanchthon, that helped Martin Luther translate the bible. Besides we also got a lot of Nazist in the german part of our family, one of the being Wernher von Braun, who invented the V-2 rocket (not very cool lol)
    The danish part of my family were nothing special.. farmers i guess
    Last edited by StratApple; May 25, 2011 at 08:05 AM.

And BTW my grandparents escaped from Hungary to Subotica in Titoist Yugoslavia after the 1956 revolution, So that's why i'm born in Serbia
    Last edited by Hunyadi Mátyás; May 25, 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Takezō Kensei's Avatar Laetus
    Adelaide, Australia / Melbourne, Australia

It's sort of stigmatising to talk about heritage and all of this. I mean for most of the European countries ... Christianity has more or less erased our original cultures anyway, so what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Takezō Kensei View Post
    It's sort of stigmatising to talk about heritage and all of this. I mean for most of the European countries ... Christianity has more or less erased our original cultures anyway, so what's the point?

Personally, my interest is academic as I'm (and I'd imagine many of the other people on this forum, considering the subject matter) a history fan, and any personal connection to a bit of history just makes it that much more exciting. Whether you think there is practical value to learning more about your heritage is up to you.

Anyways, I don't know a lot about my heritage in the medieval period, but the earliest ancestors of mine that I know of were Alemanni (funny as I'm a Roman fanboy). My great grandparent's last name was actually Alemann (spelling may be slightly off, but the meaning is clear enough), and I also have some Alsace heritage. Primarily German heritage for me on both sides of my family, though I do have some Native American blood (1/16th I believe, though I'm not sure what tribe). On a more recent note Jesse James was in my extended family tree.

Either Iberian Jews/Muslim that lived through the Portuguese Inquisition (I expected that one), or people who lived in small woods alot... Probably the first one. (Silveira means small wood, and after all the cool tree names were given to Inquistitorial survivors, they named the rest of them Silveira. Cool, I've always been a left over.)
    Last edited by Cae; May 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And don't Call me Shirley!

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Takezō Kensei View Post
    Christianity has more or less erased our original cultures anyway,
    THat is justcompletely wrong. The cultures of europe are still as diverse as they was before(or nearly) Christianity belneded in already existing culture, it didnt destroy them. just loo how different scandinavians and iberians are

My English side were probably communistic peasants and working-class heroes. No, nothing special.

My grandma made a family tree so i could se who i was related to and it goes all the way back to year 800. my ancestor was Harald Hairfair, the first king of norway, we still only have like 5 million inhabitants in Norway this very day so few are related to him i think. He was king during 872–930 though.. maybe thats a bit early, dont really know when the start date in this mod is My other grandmother is german but i dont know anything about her heritage, only that she was born in a german bunker during the second world war haha

Quote Originally Posted by The Awesome Boy View Post
    My family has managed Research my family history back to the late Middle Ages, on both my mother and my father's side. From my mother's side only from Smĺland in Sweden, and my father's side from Västergötland, and Ĺland.
    My ancestors have mostly just been farmers and fishermen, but there've been exceptions.
    cool vastergotland, isnt that where the fictional character Arn the knight templar came from? loved that movie

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Most people can, if the records are complete enough, trace their direct (fathers/mothers only) ancestry to several royal families due to the law of probability.
    For example, I descend from, to make a short list:
    Harald Hĺrfagre, the first king of Norway (and most of his ancestors)
    The first king of Sweden (can't remember his name) (and most of his ancestors)
    Charlemagne, the first holy roman emperor. (and some of the emperors after him)
    Claudius, some Roman emperor.
    Several French kings.
    Odin, through one ancient (around year 200 or so) Norse king who claimed to be the son of Odin (it was pretty popular at the time)

My point is, having royalty as your ancestors, unless very recent, isn't at all rare.
    is Harald Hĺrfagre your ancestor? thats actually pretty rare, i have an extremely detailed family tree and it is only 20 people who have passed his blood on. when the children are added, only about 100 people are truly related to him, unless you count in his cousins, stepbrothers etc. but that doesent really count because its not his blood.

do you have a weaponshield/arms as well?
    Last edited by Meneth; July 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Merge

Harđurāđaz's Avatar Senator

Most of my ancestors were farmers, soldiers or tailors from Hjälmseryd parish, Smĺland

One of my oldest known ancestor, Troelius Olai Choraeus(1613-1699) was a vicar.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Tophesnack View Post
    is Harald Hĺrfagre your ancestor? thats actually pretty rare, i have an extremely detailed family tree and it is only 20 people who have passed his blood on. when the children are added, only about 100 people are truly related to him, unless you count in his cousins, stepbrothers etc. but that doesent really count because its not his blood.

do you have a weaponshield/arms as well?
    Most ethnic Norwegians are likely directly related to Harald Hĺrfagre merely due to the number of generations that have passed.
    For example:
    Someone has 3 children. He now has 3 direct descendants.
    Those children have 3 children each. He now has 9 direct descendants in the latest generation.
    Those 9 ancestors have 3 more children each. He now has 27 direct descendants in the latest generation.

As this continues over over a thousand years, most of Norway ends up as direct ancestors to Harald Hĺrfagre, and any other person at the time who managed to pass on his genes.

According to the genealogies at least, I'm a direct descendant of Harald Hĺrfagre.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Most ethnic Norwegians are likely directly related to Harald Hĺrfagre merely due to the number of generations that have passed.
    For example:
    Someone has 3 children. He now has 3 direct descendants.
    Those children have 3 children each. He now has 9 direct descendants in the latest generation.
    Those 9 ancestors have 3 more children each. He now has 27 direct descendants in the latest generation.

As this continues over over a thousand years, most of Norway ends up as direct ancestors to Harald Hĺrfagre, and any other person at the time who managed to pass on his genes.

According to the genealogies at least, I'm a direct descendant of Harald Hĺrfagre.
    well on the family tree, which goes to the most distant relatives, it says that like 90 % of his descendants only had one child, except for a few who had 2 - 4.

It doesent matter anyways, i guess we are all brothers! I can probably post the family tree here if you would like to? maybe you can find yourself there if your not too distant!

My father is a Dulkadirli Turkoman from Afyonkarahisar.He says that they came to Anatolia in 1700 from western turkistan.And my mother is Yörük(still nomadic Turkoman) and they are from Konya(In M2TW it's name is Iconium).Hell yeah!

New info- Portuguese side once owned a huge tract of land Brazil- soon lost it to infighting and gambling. English side now located to Isle of Man.