Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Your Ancestors [Off Topic]

Norwegian, mostly but also some danish. ANd the old Norwegian Kings, up to Magnus Berrføtt(dont know english) So mostly farmers from there on from mostly of the ryges if that matter

Holy ! My Grandma told me we're descendants of Mordred.

I doubt it. It's not even sure he existed.

well for my family

i'm a Arab from the tribe of AlRashidah we left the hijaz in the late 18th century and went to najed and after that we went to kuwait and my family AlFaji and my tirbe AlRashidah had entered many important events in kuwait history in the late 19th century

starting of making the coup on the brothers of shikh mobark and making him the leader of kuwait and btw in that night he said that the rashidi is a sobahi and the sobahi is a rashidi

and in 1920 a famous battle happens in kuwait history and its the red palace battle and it was called red because the blood on the walls of the palace in that time and my family and my tribe fought with people of kuwait until we made peace with the Baudouin invaders

and in the 20th century 30s a rebellion happened against the ruling family of kuwait the shikh of kuwait came to my tribe for help and my tribe stooped that rebellion thats for the modern history

and for the ancient

my tribe came from a legendary tribe and its bani abbs form this tribe

the kings of the arabs and the kings of the kingdom of bani abbs

and the are

qais ibn zuher
    and zuher ibn jathima

and form my tribe

the black knight and the famous poet

antarah ibn shadad

and form my tribe

the saalok (its like robin hood who steal for the rich and give the poor ) aorwah ibn alwarrd

and one my tribe was the friend of the profit mohamed

huthifah ibn alyaman

and we had a legendary war in the time before islam and its

aldahis and gahbrah it was 40 years war

and we are the uncles of the

two islamic khalifahs

alwalid ibn abd almalik

suliman ibn abd almalik

and thats for the islamic and pre-islamic history

and i hope you like my history
    Last edited by ALFAJI; November 10, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

H.r.E.'s Avatar Ducenarius

How does it come you all count your ancestors back into middle age? I mean my family consists of traders and craftsmen. Where the last date we have is from 1806 or something like that. They like.. did nothing of interest , no nazis , no resistance fighters. No one that participated in the 1848 revolution . Atleast I couldnt recall.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

all i know is that i am a direct dissendent of the last pagan king of ireland

madrush's Avatar Senator

did a bit more research this is what i found out
    The surname of McANDREW was a baptismal name 'the son of Andrew' meaning manly. The name was originally derived from the Gaelic MacAindreis. Early records of the name mention Andrew (without surname) was a monk of Dunfermline, and became bishop of Caithness in the reign of David I. Willelmus McAnderewe, of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Thomas Andreu was the vicar of Briston in County Norfolk, in the year 1442. Malcolm MacAndree was a tenant of the bishop of Aberdeen in 1511. Thomas Fuller and Elizabeth Andrewes were married in London in the year 1619. The name was a very popular font name in the 12th century in Scotland, but it soon became widespread all over England and Europe. This Scottish and English surname is in Ireland in all the provinces since the early seventeenth century and is now numerous in Dublin and north-east Ulster. It has been sometimes used as a synonym of MacAndrew, and that name was found frequently in medieval records. Ireland was one of the earliest countries to evolve a system of hereditary surnames. They came into being fairly generally in the 11th century, and indeed a few were found before the year 1000. The Irish prefixes of Mac (son of) and O (grandson or descendant of) gave rise at an early date, to a set of fixed hereditary names in which the literal patronymic meaning was lost or obscured. These surnames originally signified membership of a clan, but with the passage of time, the clan system became less distinct, and surnames came to identify membership of what is called a 'sept' of people all living in the same locality, all bearing the same surname, but not necessarily descended from a common ancestor. Adoption of the name by people who did not otherwise have a surname and by their dependents was not uncommon. Later, nicknames were in some cases to supersede the original clan names. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884.

I've made my own research:

My father's ancestors didn't move from the area surrounding Empúries and Girona, in northern Catalonia (that's Spain for those who don't know this place) as far as I could investigate (which reaches 1497, the day a guy named Galceran de la Torre married a woman called Enriqueta Batallós / Batallosa; I couldn't follow Galceran's traces anymore). I guess they arrived at the area after the Catalan Civil War of 1470.

On mother's side, I descend from Valencian burghers, and given my partially moorish-like aspect, they probably come from Berberic families.

Of course, I'm counting those two lines only. Only looking at my grand-grandparents (all eight of them) there are two peasants, a farmer, a nobleman from Barcelona and his maid (who got pregnant and fired, in that order), a burgher couple from Castelló de la Plana, north of València, and a woman from Zaragoza.

This woman is daughter of one of King Alfonso XIII's secretaries, who went to exile along with the ex-king and there he spent all his fortune gambling and whoring (is it even a verb in English?). Then he came back to Spain and lived in Barcelona in poverty, until he became some kind of gangster. My mother's family still enjoy the fortune he made thanks to dubious means.

I could write my own series of novels. Like Ken Follett.
    "Déu és beure bé, menjar fresc i llevar-se a les deu"
    (God is to drink well, to eat fresh and to wake up at ten)
    ------ from the Catalan "Inquisition Trials Archive"

Cèsar de Quart
    Europe 1200 Team Member

Campidoctor

1. Dom Paio Soares Pinto: a dominat character in the early Portuguese Court.
    2. They lived in Anatolia and were probably thematic or pronoia levies of Rhomania.
    3. Some Italian dudes in Calabria.
    4. Christians in Syria.

Libertus

I dont know anything about my lineage and I don't care about it anyway, but a couple of months ago, I saw a chart trying to show how the prophet Muhammad was linked to the different royal families in the later kingdoms of europe. Does anyone have this? - a 1000 internets if you could post it here, or PM it to me

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    I dont know anything about my lineage and I don't care about it anyway, but a couple of months ago, I saw a chart trying to show how the prophet Muhammad was linked to the different royal families in the later kingdoms of europe. Does anyone have this? - a 1000 internets if you could post it here, or PM it to me

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Are you talking about in this forum? I've seen a few articles by historians and genealogists who have done this. Here is one genealogy that I know of which is not disputed:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Umayyah (1st cousin-once-removed of the Prophet Muhammad)
    Abu el-As
    al-Hakim
    Caliph Marwan I (Umayyid Caliph)
    Caliph Abd al-Malik (Umayyid Caliph)
    Caliph Himsham I (Umayyid Caliph)
    Mu'awiya
    Abd-ar-Rahman I (Emir of Cordoba)
    Hisham I (Emir of Cordoba)
    al-Hakim I (Emir of Cordoba)
    Abd-ar-Rahman II (Emir of Cordoba)
    Muhammed I (Emir of Cordoba)
    Abd Allah (Emir of Cordoba)
    Muhammed
    Abd-ar-Rahman III (Emir of Cordoba)
    al-Hakim II (Caliph of Cordoba)
    Mawiyah (married Gonzalo Gustaves de Lara)
    Nuño Gonsalez de Lara
    Gonsalo Nuñez de Lara
    Nuño Gonsalez de Lara
    Gonsalo Nuñez de Lara
    Rodrigo Gonzalez de Lara
    Sancha Rodriquez de Lara
    Aldonza Gonzales Giron
    Aldonza Ramirez
    Maria Fernadez de Henestrona
    Maria de Padilla (married Pedro de Castile)
    Isabella de Castile (married Edmund Plantagenet)
    Richard Plantagenet
    Richard of Conisburgh
    Richard (Duke of York)
    Edward IV (King of England)
    We had a discussion about this topic in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...83#post8316083

EDIT: I've also seen it a genealogy proving that all the European royalty are descended from the Han Chinese Emperors via a sequence of royal marriages over about 1300 years which go China to Persia to Armenia to The Eastern Roman Empire to The Holy Roman Empire to the rest of Europe.
    Last edited by sumskilz; January 16, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Libertus

I didnt remember which forum it was, and I couldnt find it, so i thought this would be the place to request it. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    EDIT: I've also seen it a genealogy proving that all the European royalty are descended from the Han Chinese Emperors via a sequence of royal marriages over about 1300 years which go China to Persia to Armenia to The Eastern Roman Empire to The Holy Roman Empire to the rest of Europe.
    Maybe this can interest you, Sean:
    http://www.losttothewest.com/?p=162

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

check my sig -funny but true, and the team can probably vouch that its a hereditary trait

Quote Originally Posted by brennas View Post
    Maybe this can interest you, Sean:
    http://www.losttothewest.com/?p=162
    Pretty tenuous...
    Last edited by Space_Ed; January 17, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post
    Pretty tenuous...
    Yeah, but it honestly presents the Melisenna/Melusine connection as tenuous. That kind of thing is still interesting as a starting point if someone should feel inclined to try to definitively prove or disprove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Yeah, but it honestly presents the Melisenna/Melusine connection as tenuous. That kind of thing is still interesting as a starting point if someone should feel inclined to try to definitively prove or disprove it.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    check my sig -funny but true, and the team can probably vouch that its a hereditary trait
    Maybe part of a dinastic ancillary.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

lol

I've been a long-time lurker on the forum. Thought this thread was interesting so I thought I'd throw in what I know of my family history.

Despite my name "Christophoros" I'm not by any means Greek. My father's family -- as far as I could trace them -- were a knighted family in Normandy. The first record is of a "Guy d'Vytienson" around 1050, and in the domesday book there was a "Guy d'Vitienson" in England. Though there's no factual proof, I'd say that someone in the family either fought in William the Conqueror's invasion, or migrated shortly afterward. Solid evidence of descendants is lacking for the next few generations until there is a strand of others: Richard d'Wittenston, and then a Guy Wittington. Knowing a bit about the changes in the English language over the years, the changes in the family name fro Vytienson to Wittington holds with the changes in English -- not to mention spelling wasn't a necessity for the average person.

From the above-mentioned, the famous Dick Wittington in British lore (Sir Richard Wittington) was the brother of one of my direct ancestors. From what else I've discovered, those sons of sons of William Wittington (Richard's brother) were all Catholic, and when the civil war broke out in England they remained Catholic. When the Catholics lost out, my family was kicked out of England -- stripped of their heraldic titles/coats -- and sent to America. My great-grandfathers lived in Maryland for a few hundred years and then traveled with Daniel Boone to Kentucky where my family is now. Up until me (and I feel a bit guilty for it) all of my forefathers have remained Catholic -- including my own father and his brothers. And it's a bit of an important thing. The current spelling of my last name is Wethington, though apparently my great-grandfather is quoted as saying: "I was born a Wittington, and I'll be damned if I don't die as one" when the rest of the family opted to change it for whatever reason. So, I suppose I can call my ancestors (on my father's side) English-Norman-and most likely even Viking -- since Vikings settled in Normandy a few decades before Williams' invasion.

On my mother's side: Her maiden name is Prather, which I couldn't find too much on other than several possibilities: it's Welsh or German, and if German is a place name marking the town of Prath in Germany. I like to pretend that it's Welsh and perhaps a mispronunciation of Praetor; I'm a Roman/Byzantine history fan, so it's nice to think that maybe someone way back when was a Roman haha. Of course, I know statistically there probably was someone. Anyway, I enjoyed reading everyone else's posts. I find family history to be fascinating; just to imagine that my ancestors were living when Caesar marched through Gaul, or when Charlemagne defended it from the Moors.
    My AARs: [EB AAR] Sons of Achilles

Like RPing? Like Imperial Rome? Check out Aeterna Roma!

So where do you all get your infos concerning your ancestry from? Would like to do some researches for myself, but I really don't know where I should start.