Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by kiskompi View Post
    Welcome to the Club of Hungarians!
    Thank you very much

Cheezus14's Avatar Foederatus

Well i don't know anything about my ancestors. But i seem like 10% bulgar 90% slavic.I think you get the picture.Although i know that most of my family are/were soldiers.

MY Ancestor where from the Iberian peninsula a mix of Moorish-Castilian and cross the Atlantic at the age of the Colonization after the end of the Reconquista. My grandfather paid to have the test when from your blood you can find from where you came
    Last edited by Pyres Δt Varanasi; February 25, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Oli the Great View Post
    My grandfather paid to have the test when from your blood you can find from where you came
    Well it's really basic, apart from what genetic group you are from it doesn't tell you much => well in Spain it's pretty easy, there is a distincition between moors and europeans. Not so much in eastern and central europe, I for one have genes that link me to ancient european people, even though I'm part German, part Szekler (A Turkic people who were present during the Avar period of the Carpathian basin) part Hungarian. And the funny thing is all three of them originated outside Europe according to current historical evidence.

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

Turcomans who settled in Central Anatolia in several places like Afyon and Kirsehir

Babri's Avatar Miles

I am the descendant of Babur (and possibly of Genghis Khan through his maternal side ), founder of the Mughal Empire. Mughal Empire ruled most of the sub-continent at its peak & had 1/4th share of the world's GDP.

Campidoctor

Father's Side:

Grandfather: he is of Portuguese ancestry. His grandfather lived in Guimarães, northern Portugal, where the family had been living in for generations. We are descendents of Dom Paio Soares Pinto, an 11th century Portuguese knight influential in the court of the Dukes of Portugal. It's one of the oldest and most prestigious noble families, although by the 19th century we were just relatively poor commoners. Fun fact: when my great-great-grandfather came to Brazil, he brought along his brother with him. However, the brother disembarked in Rio, while my ancestor in Santos. The two branches of Pinto would not meet until the next generation. A member of the Rio branch was Minister of Justice. I still have family in Guimarães and one of my "cousins" was elected mayor some time ago.

Grandmother: We have a genealogical tree going back ten generations (17/18th century) although we have information prior to this. Accordingly, the first Abbud was a Christian living in Cappadocia. The Abbud had to leave due to political pressures of Ottoman Sultan Selim II in 1566. They went to Armenia (Cilician) and eventually went down to Homs, in Syria. The first recorded ancestor is named Butrus. He fathered several children; the eldest one called Elias. Elias named his son Butrus and he named his Elias. Then came another Butrus (who is not my ancestor anymore), but he only fathered a daughter, who he insisted on calling Elias. The record ends here, as the females don't count. The Abbuds had a Muslim and a Christian branch. The Christian family moved to Brazil in the late 19th century and Mathilde, daughter of my great-great-grandfather Liam, married an Ackel (no idea from where they are).

Mother's side:

Grandfather: Entirely Italian. My great-great-grandfather moved in from Calabria (Southwestern Italian peninsula). We were peasents, but the family were once nobles since we have a coat-of-arms.

Grandmother: Some dudes came over from Lebanon, more specifically Tyre, in the early 1900's. They didn't even now where Brazil was, but they got a ship anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope_Fred_I View Post
    I'm from almost exclusively Germanic stock. Family name derives from the area of southern Baden/northern Switzerland, and emigrated here in the late 1600s when they got kicked out of Bern for being Anabaptists. Another was from the Coburg area. I have one sliver of unknown Norwegian ancestry, and a small sliver of ancestry from Holland, some of whom were the original settlers of New York.

Paternal
    As stated before, my family name originates in Baden or northern Switzerland. My grandfather's father's family has been in America since the 17th Century after getting kicked out of Switzerland for being Anabaptists (predecessors of the Mennonites, among others). Also a branch in there from the Netherlands who were some of the original settlers of New York. My grandfather's mother's family quite literally walked out of the woods in Norway and came to America. We know nothing about them prior to that.

My grandmother's family is 100% German. Her father's father emigrated from the Coburg area in the 1880s, and her mother's father emigrated from the Leipzig area in the 1870s.

Materal
    My mother's family is a bit more complicated, and obscure. The family names both come from Germany, with a twist of Irish going on on my grandmother's mother's side of things.

Deutschland uber alles, I guess...
    La Garde recule.

Namorath's Avatar Libertus

im pretty much a western European mutt

Paternal
    grandfather was a german from lubeck so i wouldnt be surprised if i had some danish blood being so close to the border there and my grandmother from was from the lowlands of scotland

maternal
    grandfather was from the southwest of ireland and my grandmother was from good ol' london england

i tell people im a germanic celt

Indefinitely Banned

Paternal
    grandfather: Pontic Greek
    grandmother: originally from Khorasan dont know her ethnicity Persian or Turkish

Maternal
    grandfather: Pontic Greek
    grandmother: Pontic Greek

btw my Greek ancestors call themselves as Rûm (meaning Roman)

RomanGuy's Avatar Tiro

I'm your typical American mutt:

Paternal:
    Grandfather was Italian. His parents came over from Bari around the turn of the century.
    Grandmother was Irish, English, and Cherokee.

Maternal:
    Grandmother was Polish. Her parents came over from southern Poland (someplace owned by Austria, as on the papers they first wrote "Poland" then crossed it out and wrote "Austria," but we know they were Polish).
    Grandfather was half Irish and half English.
    "Veni, vidi, vici"
    "I came, I saw, I conquered"
    -Gaius Julius Caesar

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by ChivalrousKiller View Post
    My ancestry is actually quite blue-blooded. I don't know why, but by great-grandmother on the maternal side (I think), was of noble blood. A local historian wrote a compendium about my grandfather's ancestry some years ago. The results were quite awesome. There were kings and other rulers from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, England, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Aragon, Novgorod, The Byzantine Empire and Italy (just the ones I remember). Some examples were Alexios Komnenos and Duke Leopold of Austria (the 3rd crusade one). The oldest one was King Berengar II of Italy (10th century)
    i am inclined to ask if you by any chance are called christian or fredrik, with your father being named the opposite.
    also awesome being royalty, who is your oldest danish/swedish/norwegian ancestor who were a reigning king?

Miles

I'm a typical Swedish mutt:

Paternal:
    Grandfather is from Åland
    Grandmother is from Västergötland

Maternal:
    Grandmother is from Småland
    Grandfather is from Småland

CelticSlav's Avatar Tiro
    San Jose, CA, USA (I'm from Galway, Ireland)

Paternal
    Grandfather: From Lublin. Served in the Armia Krajowa, the underground Polish resistance during WW2 when he was 16, fighting both Nazis and Communists. After that, arrested by Communist authorities. Was released when Communist leader Wladyslaw Gomulka granted amnesty to the AK soldiers.

Grandmother: From Kovel (In Volhynia region, Once part of Poland, now part of Ukraine). Half Ukrainian, half Polish and Roman Catholic. When the Soviet army advanced into Kovel in 1944, she fled Ukraine and moved to Chełm. She later moved to Lublin in 1959, where she met my grandfather.

Maternal
    My mother's family has a bit complicated history, she's from Galway though.
    Last edited by CelticSlav; January 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

Paternal: Grandfather is 100% Hungarian, Grandmother is German and Danish but born in Philadelphia

Maternal: Grandfather and Grandmother Scottish, Italian, and German.

I've got some Iroquois blood in me somewhere as well, but its very low.

America makes things so complex... I recently found that my Scottish ancestors were from Argyll, and its well known that my Italian family is from Calabria circa 1915, but other than that there is nothing 100% that I know except for the countries the others were from... Hungary, Czech Republic, England, Anglo-Irish, French, and German

Quote Originally Posted by stoogeofstooges View Post
    Paternal: Grandfather is 100% Hungarian, Grandmother is German and Danish but born in Philadelphia

Maternal: Grandfather and Grandmother Scottish, Italian, and German.

I've got some Iroquois blood in me somewhere as well, but its very low.
    Welcome to the Club of Hungarians!

Hm i was mixed hungarian
    Paternal:My great great grandfather was came into Hungary from second half of IXX century he was a Train driver he come from Burgerland with my great great grandmother.
    My great grandfather was fighting in eastern front in WWI then he was captured by Russians.
    My great grandmother was Hungarian nobles descendant from middle ages they are pecheneg noble family from 1100 family name was Szomor.We have fact abou my great grandmother family have friendly conntact with Arpad dynasty and maybe relationship too.They have courts in slovakia and in norther hungaria.
    They are living a lords life.
    My grandmother was cuman.
    My grandfather was soldier in 1956 but he escaped.
    Material:My grandfather was German and Czech his anchestors came from Germany after the Ottomans was retreat from Hungary his religion is evangelist.
    My grandmother father was killed in WWII he was a courier in hungarian army .
    My grandmom was 75% German and 25% hungarian.
    That's why my religion was evangelist.
    Last edited by tibu17; January 26, 2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: update

Paternal: Nomadic Turks settled in early 20th century.

Maternal: Not clear but older relatives says we are of nomadic origin(of Karakeçili tribe) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Paternal: Nomadic Turks settled in early 20th century.

Maternal: Not clear but older relatives says we are of nomadic origin(of Karakeçili tribe) as well.
    Hello in Turks!