Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

diez's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by Diodredai View Post

Yet again Owen you struck comedic gold. I've been laughing for a good thirty seconds.
    Let me set the scene: It is an autumn night. The greek village is all but calm, save for a few loud Italians camping outside the settlement. The Italians, having come for R&R to the beautiful greek countryside having been partying hard. Ever since their arrival they have been watched by greek farmer, by the name of Diez's grandfather. The villagers got on with them quite good: they could sell their surplus goods, such as fresh vegetables and the like at an increased price to the Italians (who even in a foreign land could not go without eating pasta for even a day).

One day however, everything changed. The Italians rode into the city on their red horses, which they called "Ferrari's". They approached the village elder, demanding an audience with (due to the bad dictionary that they brought with them) translated roughly to: I wish an audience with your king!
    The elder, knowing the customs of old, decided that the descendants of the ancient kings must be brought. Unfortunatley for our Italians friends, the "village" they had camped in front of was none other than the ruins of Sparta.

The king, (who for some reason beared the name Leonidas) came forth. What is it that you want? - He asked in a furious tone.
    Yet again our Italians friends, due to the incompetence of the writers of the dictionary asked instead of: We would like some mineral water and some housing for the night, said instead:
    Earth, and water.
    Unbeknownst to the Italians, they had just signed their death warrant. The Spartans, who remembered the tales of old, believed the Persians had come back for another round of good old fighting to the death. They threw the Italians into the village well.

The next scene was nearby, in the town restaurant (named Thermopülai) where the Italians asked: (again due to the bad translation) instead of saying: Please give me a fork and spoon, they said something along the lines of: Lay down your weapons!
    To which the answer was: Molon labe! - Come and take them.

The next night the greeks descended upon the Italian encampment, armed with Haplon shields and spears, like their ancestors of old, they forced the Italians into a cave where they started killing them, however the Italians were saved when the nearby authorities, who were just putting up signs near the village: WARNING THIS VILLAGE CONTAINS DANGEROUS, VIOLENT GREEKS (EVEN MORE THAN THE ATHENIANS) found the Italians and rescued them.

Well atleast that scenario played in my head reading that comment.
    Edit: Diez has answered the question. Blast. They should seriously start making a show where they take Persian tourists to Sparta, just for the fun of it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahah!epic +reeeeeeeeeep

One of the few times I did laugh alone in front of my pc!

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

My ancestry is actually quite blue-blooded. I don't know why, but by great-grandmother on the maternal side (I think), was of noble blood. A local historian wrote a compendium about my grandfather's ancestry some years ago. The results were quite awesome. There were kings and other rulers from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, England, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Aragon, Novgorod, The Byzantine Empire and Italy (just the ones I remember). Some examples were Alexios Komnenos and Duke Leopold of Austria (the 3rd crusade one). The oldest one was King Berengar II of Italy (10th century)

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro
    Budapest, Hungary formerly Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ChivalrousKiller View Post
    My ancestry is actually quite blue-blooded. I don't know why, but by great-grandmother on the maternal side (I think), was of noble blood. A local historian wrote a compendium about my grandfather's ancestry some years ago. The results were quite awesome. There were kings and other rulers from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, England, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Aragon, Novgorod, The Byzantine Empire and Italy (just the ones I remember). Some examples were Alexios Komnenos and Duke Leopold of Austria (the 3rd crusade one). The oldest one was King Berengar II of Italy (10th century)
    Woah! Talk about royalty. I'm particularly interested in the Hungarian side, did the historian specify which ruling house? Just to cite a few: Árpád dynasty (Died out on main line), Habsburg Dynasty (Never were rightfully elected kings so I hope you are not from them ), Anjou Dynasty (From the Sicilian side not the French), Jagello dynasty (From the Lithuanian side)?

Creator of the Unoffical DotS FAQ thread
    "Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")
    Creator of the Share your musical heritage! thread in the DotS forums

I'm from almost exclusively Germanic stock. Family name derives from the area of southern Baden/northern Switzerland, and emigrated here in the late 1600s when they got kicked out of Bern for being Anabaptists. Another was from the Coburg area. I have one sliver of unknown Norwegian ancestry, and a small sliver of ancestry from Holland, some of whom were the original settlers of New York.
    La Garde recule.

Woah! Talk about royalty. I'm particularly interested in the Hungarian side, did the historian specify which ruling house? Just to cite a few: Árpád dynasty (Died out on main line), Habsburg Dynasty (Never were rightfully elected kings so I hope you are not from them ), Anjou Dynasty (From the Sicilian side not the French), Jagello dynasty (From the Lithuanian side)?
    I've got no idea, I'm not good at Hungarian history But I hit them with the marriage between Princess Piroska and John Komnenos. Thus, I'm related to her father, Lazslo I, and his father, Béla I

WoW! First of all, hello there my distant cousin! I too am partly too a member of a Hungarian noble family from Transylvania. That's a pretty colorful past . So right now you are in Egypt I presume? Which language is the "offical" household language? Turkish, or Hungarian? There must be alot of fighting on how many hours did the battle of Mohács last, was the siege of Belgrade a honorful victory or not and the like .
    Sorry for the late response my friend. Yes we are distant cousins I am living in Canada now, and my parents spend half the year in Hungary (summers) and half in Egypt (the colder periods), that way they both get to be in their homes.

Lol, the language at home (when I still lived with my parents), was a big mishmash of Hungarian, Arabic, and English...to the outsider it must have sounded crazy. Now I speak a mixture of English and Persian at home with my wife. Are you currently living in Hungary?

I have some Norwegian and German ancestors! Look in my signature for the project I am working on concerning my family

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro

I've got no idea, I'm not good at Hungarian history But I hit them with the marriage between Princess Piroska and John Komnenos. Thus, I'm related to her father, Lazslo I, and his father, Béla I
    By all that is holy.... you should immediately hold a press conference! Saint László, was one of the greatest kings in Hungarian history, he conquered Croatia. He was a member of the Árpád dynasty, meaning that you are a descendant of the Árpád dynasty, a dynasty that died out on the male side. That would, in theory mean that you have a rightful claim to the throne of Hungary. I will refer to you from now on, as Prince Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordZ View Post
    Are you currently living in Hungary?
    Yes, I live in Budapest Hungary

"Sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine" (translation: "Lord save us from the arrows of the Hungarians")

By all that is holy.... you should immediately hold a press conference! Saint László, was one of the greatest kings in Hungarian history, he conquered Croatia. He was a member of the Árpád dynasty, meaning that you are a descendant of the Árpád dynasty, a dynasty that died out on the male side. That would, in theory mean that you have a rightful claim to the throne of Hungary. I will refer to you from now on, as Prince Congratulations!
    Thanks! Then I'll claim the Hungarian throne immediately after I have restored the Roman Empire

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro

Thanks! Then I'll claim the Hungarian throne immediately after I have restored the Roman Empire
    There is an ancient legend amongst my people, that Csaba, the son of Attila and a Roman princess left the Székelys (A Hungarian speaking ethnic group in Transylvania that was present before the conquest of the basin by the Hungarians) to ask for troops from his family members in Constantinople so that he could return the Carpathian basin to it's former rulers, alas the Hadak ura (The chief diety in Szekler mythology) thought that Csaba should return only in the nations most greatest need to return the basin to it's rightful rulers. Still to this day they await Csaba Árpád, the founder of the Árpád Dynasty of Kings said he was a descendant of Attila the Hun - who knows? (then again historically it is unlikely)

Misc: The Szekler people have a saying to people who they don't like visiting their home: Goodbye, I hope we see each other next when Csaba returns from Byzantium.

Sazabi's Avatar Foederatus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Leslie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand..._Earl_of_Leven
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Leslie

But other than that, some Irish, Welsh, English, German, French, and Spanish.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Norwegian and German mainly, with a wee bit of Scots-Irish, Anglo-Saxon English and an even smaller bit of Italian.
    Although I don't know where exactly in Norway my family name came from, but I do know the name translates to "proud castle" or "proud mountain" (depending on which language and spelling you look at). In fact, I share the last name of the Prime Minister of Norway
    However, I do know that my family came from Norway to Saxony, and eventually became nobility.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Yes here my story is,

If i tell about y mother's family; They had been at Trabzon-Turkey(Trebizond) of Black sea for her grand father's grand father came from Iran.
    And my father tells, "i've been told that our family generation had always been in Karaman - Mersin for centruies, that's why we are yörüks(nomads) in Karaman village he said, Nomads means the Turcoman of Asian minor who emigrate after beglik (lordliness) era of the Anatolia to support the Anatolian Seljuks.

Unless i say this, I can't pass from the topic; We're all from earth dear friends, shall not forget this reality...Take care of yourself and your country.

Ok, so I know just about nothing about my ancestry, family last names are Mustard(Scottish or Irish), Green(English), Flack(English), Poscik(Austrian in Hungary), Richter(German), Harris(Scot-Irish), and most important, Gattuso(Calabrian/Sicilian). Anyone know anything about these names?

my ancestors are from Genoa and Pais Vasco (north Spain). On my fathers side (spainsh), my great grandmother was of aristocratic birth but married a "lower" class merchant (my great grandfather) and her family abandoned her.
    On my mothers side, my great great grandfather was from Canarias (islands in the Atlantic controled by Spain) and my great great grandmother was from Genoa, Italy - class unknown.

Not much more.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Anyone know what the term Black Dutch means? I have thought it might have referred to Spanish Dutchmen during the time of occupation, or if it meant some kind of Native American-Dutch union of some sort.

My paternal grandma was half Irish, half black Dutch and she's very dark skinned. So is my father. My dad looks almost exactly like Daniel Day Lewis from There Will Be Blood, but darker and with green eyes. Even though my paternal grandfather is almost full Scot.

My mother on the other hand has a mysterious history. One my maternal grandmother's side, she is full Prussian, Low Germanic. My maternal great grandfather has a certificate renouncing his Austro-Hungarian citizenship - but written in a currently unknown Slavic language. We've taken it to a university where a professor in linguistics was unable to decipher it.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Diodredai's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by dukewilliam View Post
    Ok, so I know just about nothing about my ancestry, family last names are Mustard(Scottish or Irish), Green(English), Flack(English), Poscik(Austrian in Hungary), Richter(German), Harris(Scot-Irish), and most important, Gattuso(Calabrian/Sicilian). Anyone know anything about these names?
    A quick search regarding Poscik as "Austrian" gives no results. A search for Poscik in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, and within that Hungarian results in the following information):
    Most likely the Pócsi Pócsik, Póczi Póczik families are decended from one ancestor.

According to the Ancient Hungarian Family Names dictionary the Pocsi name was formed of a diminutive Latin name -Paulus.
    A town called Mariapocs once was named Pocs around the town every hamlet had Pocs Street i.e. a road that lead to Pocs.
    Szabolcs and Hajdu Counties have several ancient "Pocsi" families, some had their names spelled "Pocsik".
    Of those settlements are Hajduboszormeny, Hajduhathaz, Nyirbator and vicinity.

I'd say that's pretty much proof that your ancestors are not Austrian - but in fact of a Hungarian background.

A quick search regarding Poscik as "Austrian" gives no results. A search for Poscik in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, and within that Hungarian results in the following information):
    Most likely the Pócsi Pócsik, Póczi Póczik families are decended from one ancestor.

According to the Ancient Hungarian Family Names dictionary the Pocsi name was formed of a diminutive Latin name -Paulus.
    A town called Mariapocs once was named Pocs around the town every hamlet had Pocs Street i.e. a road that lead to Pocs.
    Szabolcs and Hajdu Counties have several ancient "Pocsi" families, some had their names spelled "Pocsik".
    Of those settlements are Hajduboszormeny, Hajduhathaz, Nyirbator and vicinity.

I'd say that's pretty much proof that your ancestors are not Austrian - but in fact of a Hungarian background.
    Thank you so much Diodredai! I wasn't sure whether he was Austrian or Hungarian (hoping for the latter thought), and that is more helpful than several hours of research that I have done. Thank you again!

Welcome to the Club of Hungarians!

Dominion of the Sword - Magyar Department - Coordinator, PSF research leader
    The Great Conflicts - Magyar tribes researcher
    Heiðinn Veðr: Total War- Magyar tribes and Kingdom of Hungary researcher