Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Merged into SSMAP!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Ideas needed!

Excellent research Radzeer, many thanks!

Actually, the Junior and Senior Druzhina ranks made me think a bit - maybe a specific military rank system for the Rus and Novgorod could work where these ranks replace the suggested Royal Court Member and War Council Member ranks.
    The offices titles you mentioned could also be nicely put in, although it's not sure that all will make the cut.

Have another deserved rep for your kind help, mate!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Ideas needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Prince View Post
    Excellent research Radzeer, many thanks!

Actually, the Junior and Senior Druzhina ranks made me think a bit - maybe a specific military rank system for the Rus and Novgorod could work where these ranks replace the suggested Royal Court Member and War Council Member ranks.
    The offices titles you mentioned could also be nicely put in, although it's not sure that all will make the cut.

Have another deserved rep for your kind help, mate!
    You are most welcome, I'm always happy to help! I'll think about these titles a bit more to see what looks feasible. Will check out some more sources too.

FP,

a few pagan priest traits, as I said I would be thinking about them.

preaches a large number of gods (can't find a better name for it now) - he believes that the gods are so many, that no one can know their number. This means that whoever imagines a new god, that god must surely exist! This gives the people the freedom to pray to whomever or whatever they want to, convinced that their prayers are listened.
    (I hope the description was right... inspired by the fact that there are or were religions with endless number of gods, and that, if two cultures had two gods of war, for instance, they understood that it is the same god, only that they call him differently).

proclaims sexual freedom - he teaches that there should be no sexual restrictions to a man: he can have sex with anyone or anything he desires. He also believes that marriagle unfaithfulness and incest cannot be punishable by gods, as the gods themselves do such things!

Agrees with violence - contrary to other faiths, violence itself is not seen as evil. He believes that as long as a man possesses another man or a woman, as a slave, or an animal, he is free to do anything to him/her/it he desires.

sorcerer - an authentic proof of the gods' existence and power is shown by the supernatural things this priest can perform. He strengthens the faith of the believers by them while others come to believe him after seeing them.

preaches the forseeing of the future - he preaches that the future can actually be forseen and teaches the people methods of finding it out.

justice is relative - unlike the hypocrite people of other religions, he admits that pure justice can never be done, because it's always on the side of the strong and the rich. Therefore, he does not seek to condemn the strong and the rich for the unrighteousness they do, but instead gains their sympathy and their benefits.

disrespects monotheism - he is not confined to preaching the teachings of the gods to his people. Actually, he never forgets to condemn and criticize the religions that preach only one God when speaking to people, so they would never think about converting to those religions.

Monotheistic inclination - this man has been thinking profoundly on the subject of monotheism, and he now tends to believe that there might be only one God.

proclaims human sacrifices - while there are usually animals burnt as offering his altar, human beings are more welcomed by the gods. This is not at all outrageous to people, because they usually bring as offerings one of their slaves or one of their children, which are, after all, their possessions.

idol crafter - he has himself a shop where he makes images of the gods, of different materials, for people to worship.

an ancillary:
    an idol (or, idol to X - if you chose the main god of the faction, or know some names of idols they used) - he keeps an idol to himself, wherever he goes. This is both for him and for any other convert who needs to pray to one of the gods.

Please give some feedback. I hope pagan priest traits are of interest to you...

-----

by the way, Fair Prince, I'm curios of something, I don't know if it's possible: is it possible to make a priest attempt to convert an imam, as a priest can attempt to denounce a heretic? It would be interesting to be able to convert priests/imams to your own religion, while failure to mean that your own priest/imam gets converted.
    Last edited by Zenith_Zenith; March 10, 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    Please give some feedback. I hope pagan priest traits are of interest to you...
    Thanks, I appreciate your ideas once again (+rep), but I won't comment on them in detail this time. Pagan priests are of a relatively low importance and any debate on their traits would be quite pointless at this stage of the project. That said, we got more important things to do.

by the way, Fair Prince, I'm curios of something, I don't know if it's possible: is it possible to make a priest attempt to convert an imam, as a priest can attempt to denounce a heretic? It would be interesting to be able to convert priests/imams to your own religion, while failure to mean that your own priest/imam gets converted.
    I'm also not sure if it's possible, but anyway, I'm gonna ask more experienced modders about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FP
    Pagan priests are of a relatively low importance and any debate on their traits would be quite pointless at this stage of the project.
    If you add any of them, that would make me happy

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

@Fair Prince
    Hey mate hows the sub mod coming along, its been a while since ive looked over here as i have been too involved in my own mod at the moment
    Its looking good from what i could see on the front page though!! Is it downloadable yet? Im itching to get me some crowns for my leaders

Blip

The Source's Avatar Senator

not to bug anyone but when will this be realesed

Quote Originally Posted by blip99 View Post
    @Fair Prince
    Hey mate hows the sub mod coming along, its been a while since ive looked over here as i have been too involved in my own mod at the moment
    Its looking good from what i could see on the front page though!! Is it downloadable yet? Im itching to get me some crowns for my leaders

Blip
    Quote Originally Posted by The Source View Post
    not to bug anyone but when will this be realesed
    Look, my favourite question! I offer you two ways to learn the answer, choose your preferred one...

Diplomatic answer
    I'm still working on it, and it's difficult to say when will I get it finished. Right now I'm examining the existing traits and modifying them when needed, the new content will only be put in after that. Our goal is to significantly improve the traits and ancillaries aspect of the game and it takes some time to achieve that - but once it's ready, you're guaranteed to be pleased with the result!
    'Fair' answer

WHEN IT'S DONE!!!

The Source's Avatar Senator

heh lol love arnie

so about 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by The Source View Post
    heh lol love arnie

so about 2 months
    Let us hope it will be enough...

Btw, I uploaded an updated Excel file into the first post which now contains the SS 6.4 ancillaries as well.
    I already inserted some comments but much more to come - from the next update on, the suggested trait and ancillary modifications will also be included.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

@FP
    Nice man haha its looking good, im glad that it is progressing well...

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

FP, have you thought about the Lord Warden for England?? For example, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, first holder was Henry d'Essex in 1150, at one time it was one of the most powerful appointments in England.

HOUSE OF HADER

By the way, Fair Prince, I forgot to say something...
    I think the islamic version of "scholar" should be "sheikh". After all, "sheikh" means "scholar":
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh
    It is commonly used to designate an elder of a tribe, a revered wise man, or an Islamic scholar"
    Islamic scholar = scholar in the science of Islam:

it seems a guy called Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah was a sheikh:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.iqrasense.com/islamic-scholars/the-wisdom-of-ibn-al-qayyim.html
    He was an accomplished scholar of Islamic science, and no one could rival him in his deep understanding of the Qur’an and prophetic sayings, and his interpretations were unique in accuracy.
    So, what do you think about changing the "scholar" to "sheikh" for muslim generals and add some piety as well?

I wonder if you could put a mentor system in.

If a boy age 10 to 23 is in the same party as a general, he should become his apprentice.

A 10 star general would give his pupil +5 command points
    8-9 +4
    7 +3
    5-6 +2
    4 +1
    2-3 +0
    0-1 -1 An idiot for a teacher probably would make even the best protege turn into a bit of a dud.

Qchongfu's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
    I wonder if you could put a mentor system in.

If a boy age 10 to 23 is in the same party as a general, he should become his apprentice.

A 10 star general would give his pupil +5 command points
    8-9 +4
    7 +3
    5-6 +2
    4 +1
    2-3 +0
    0-1 -1 An idiot for a teacher probably would make even the best protege turn into a bit of a dud.
    An interesting and appropriate idea. However, doing so would nullify the work done in SS to make getting command stars harder. Additionally, if it was implemented, it would seem to me that the amount of command stars given would have to be reduced to something like:
    0-1= -1
    2-4= 0
    5-7= 1
    8-9= 2
    10= 3

Quote Originally Posted by Qchongfu View Post
    An interesting and appropriate idea. However, doing so would nullify the work done in SS to make getting command stars harder. Additionally, if it was implemented, it would seem to me that the amount of command stars given would have to be drastically reduced to something like:
    0-1= -1
    2-4= 0
    5-6= 1
    7-9= 2
    10= 3
    I know, I'm a bit of a star-wh****. lol

Your system does seem better. Maybe a 0-1 would be something like -2 instead of just one.

No matter how great you might have the potential to be having General Custer as your mentor would be certain to ruin you.

I think that this system is realistic, but the apprentice should have to have been with the mentor-general for at least 3 years.

Idk we'll see what the Fair Prince thinks of it.

Qchongfu's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
    I know, I'm a bit of a star-wh****. lol

Your system does seem better. Maybe a 0-1 would be something like -2 instead of just one.

No matter how great you might have the potential to be having General Custer as your mentor would be certain to ruin you.

I think that this system is realistic, but the apprentice should have to have been with the mentor-general for at least 3 years.

Idk we'll see what the Fair Prince thinks of it.
    I like the idea in any event. Placing a conditional time trigger on it makes it even more feasible. +rep for you. We'll see how receptive he is to it. Who knows what else he's cooking up that may be in contravention to your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofPeverel View Post
    FP, have you thought about the Lord Warden for England?? For example, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, first holder was Henry d'Essex in 1150, at one time it was one of the most powerful appointments in England.
    I checked it, unfortunately it's creation date is too late for the early campaign. However, I found out that Henry d'Essex was also Constable of England for some time, and even though he has no place in my historical mod, but one of his predecessors, Miles de Gloucester certainly has (I think I'll insert him into the English line-up). I probably would not have find him if you didn't post that link to Henry, so have a nice rep for that, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    By the way, Fair Prince, I forgot to say something...
    I think the islamic version of "scholar" should be "sheikh". After all, "sheikh" means "scholar":
    I think you have misunderstood something: the in-game Scholar trait means that a character is willing to learn more, it has nothing to do with titles.
    However, I also read on the link you posted that Shayks did represent the various tribes during the Almohad dynasty, which could be a good way of utilizing it as a title, even though I'm not sure if it would be historically accurate - these Shayks remind me of more elder politicians, not battlefield generals.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Heres one I made to FP in private before...

instead of having just royal blood trait, we should have common blood trait as well... aka all the FM of that fation will have a particular lean.. for example...

Looking at Roma Surrectum... I think the one I like the most from them is traits based on nationality.

For example French / English / Scottish etc... have different effect like...

French : This men is a Noble of the French people; reknown as the Bastion of Chivalry... though also for their reckless ways on the battlefield

effect: -1 command +2 chivalry

Something like that ...

Likely need... (and some ideas on bonuses)

French (France and CS) (+Chivalry -command )

Norman (England and Sicily) (+to general BG valor +1 command on defense)

Scottish (+1 command to infantry +1 command on defense)

Norse (Dens and Norway) (+1 command to infantry + trade)

German (reduced squalor effect)

Italian (Venice / Genoa / Papal) (improved trade, reduced cost on mercs )

Roman / Greek (+1 on defense recuce construction cost +1 siege)

Castillian (+1 moral of all troops, +1 command on cavalry )

Catalan (+1 moral of all troops, +1 command on infantry)

Portugese (+2 moral for all)

Berber (+2 on piety, +1 on moral)

Arab (+1 chivalry +1 piety )

Turk (+1 command on cavalry +1 command archer negative trade.)

Persian (+1 command cavalry +trade)

Mongols (+2 cavarly +2 dread +additional income via loot +1 seige)

Cumans (+2 cavalry +additional income via loot)

Rus (+1 on defense +trade)

Lithuanian (+3 on ambush )

Magyar (+1 cavalry +1 offense)

Poles (+1 cavarly +1 chivarly)

Something like that, obviously most are debatable.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

@Polydamas & Qchongfu

I checked your suggestions, and even though they look promising, I'm afraid it's not feasible to put such mentor system properly into the game. The problem is that you can only link the acquisition of traits and ancillaries to battles, buildings, events, etc. (there might be some other things too), but not characters.
    Therefore, it's not possible to define such a trigger that checks other generals's presence in a settlement, the key thing that would be required in this case.