Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Merged into SSMAP!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Ideas needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    ABOUT THE PAGAN RELIGION:
    don't forget that the pagans cannot have heretics and can practice sorcery freely (I think their priests did such, more than others). it should be a good idea, therefore, if possible, not to have heretics and witches appear in pagan factions. well, I do agree that a pagan priest should be able to execute a diabolical (evil, evil doing, evil intended) witch. Also, don't forget that the pagans do not have a great moral standard, and they are not adepts of abstinence, self-denial, fasting, etc.

the "Astrologer" ancillary should actually add piety for a pagan general.

perhaps you can add, if it does not exist already, "high priest" for the pagan factions.

and... I don't know if it exists any longer, but in SS 6.3, if I remember well, the pagan priests had "Servant of God" traits. Anyway, the point is that the pagans should always have gods instead of God.
    I'm not sure if it possible to disable heretics for Pagans, but it's a very good idea that is surely worth a try - I think I'll ask more experienced modders about this. I'll also have a look at the High Priest rank.
    Thanks, once again!

other traits for generals:
    - inhibited
    - exhibited
    - introvert
    - extrovert
    Inhibited/Unhibited are more or less the same as the planned Unambitious/Ambitious traits.
    Introvert/Extrovert are already in the game, albeit the latter is called Gregarious.

I'll give a feedback on your long post soon!

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Traits & Ancillaries Improvement Project (SSTAIP) - Ideas needed!

read from here - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inhibition - what inhibited means and you'll see that it has nothing to do with ambition.

as an example: an inhibited person is a person that goes to a party but does not even dare to dance (he feels blocked, he can't act naturally). On the other hand, the uninhibited person is a party animal, the spirit of the party, whose feelings are not suppressed and acts very naturally.

perhaps later... when I'll have some time... I will think about some appropriate pagan priest traits (something that I consider appropriate).

First off i have to say great job to everyone who worked on SS. Play value of the game is way better now. The crown idea i read about in the first few pages of this form sounds like a good idea. I hope it came out. Id like to see more Relics that generals can capture from certant cities and hand down to others. I like to play as The Crusader States and always try to find all the relics but never do. What happens to them, and where are they?

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

I suggest "Kongens Stormenn" as Norway bodyguard name. Stormenn means "Great men" and Kongens means "King's". The Stormenn were the closest men to the king, they were eating at the same table of the king. They were excelling in battle with fighting prowess as well being excellent bodyguard.

For Denmark's bodyguard, the name will be the "Šigriųxmenn"

@Sir Golfe de Ibelin:

Welcome the TWC forum mate.

You'll find the relics randomly around the world in any settlements. You may even find them when winning a heroic victory or even against rebel armies (I've got the Holy Chalice after I defeated a rebel stack around Bucharest)
    Last edited by Polycarpe; February 16, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks Byzantium guard. Great forums Im glad to be here. I find some here and there but its hard to find them.(not saying make it EZ) But what happens to them when the enemy have them and die? are they gone forever? I always try to send spies in towns and on enemy generals to see what items they hold. Then destroy that army with a family member or general to get the item. How many items are there in SS?

preachercheeze's Avatar Biarchus

I am reading "Swedens History" right now in it's newest form (the full collection isn't finished yet) and it seems that the 'Jarl' title isn't the same as Earl in Sweden... In England Earl is it's own title, but the equivalent in Sweden after 1250 is Duke... The brother to the monarch often got the title Duke of Finland and if there where many brothers other duke titles where given (Duke of Västra Götaland und so weiter)... So the Earl title shouldn't be used in Sweden at all...

Although, I don't know if you PLAN to use earl there...

Nessun Maggior Dolores che Ricordarsi del Tempo Felice Nella Miseri

read from here - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inhibition - what inhibited means and you'll see that it has nothing to do with ambition.

as an example: an inhibited person is a person that goes to a party but does not even dare to dance (he feels blocked, he can't act naturally). On the other hand, the uninhibited person is a party animal, the spirit of the party, whose feelings are not suppressed and acts very naturally.
    My point was that ambitious men are usually uninhibited, they'll strive to reach their goals by any means possible - while unambitious ones tend to settle for less. It can have various reasons, and being inhibited is just one of them.
    On a second thought however, it might make sense to include your suggestion, but it shouldn't be a too significant trait (3 levels at most with minor effects).

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    I suggest "Kongens Stormenn" as Norway bodyguard name. Stormenn means "Great men" and Kongens means "King's". The Stormenn were the closest men to the king, they were eating at the same table of the king. They were excelling in battle with fighting prowess as well being excellent bodyguard.

For Denmark's bodyguard, the name will be the "Šigriųxmenn"
    I think I've already mentioned it, but I favor the use of English language in such cases.
    Moreover, Sivilombudsmannen suggested using Hirdmen in my other thread, and I insist on keeping that.

Quote Originally Posted by preachercheeze View Post
    I am reading "Swedens History" right now in it's newest form (the full collection isn't finished yet) and it seems that the 'Jarl' title isn't the same as Earl in Sweden... In England Earl is it's own title, but the equivalent in Sweden after 1250 is Duke... The brother to the monarch often got the title Duke of Finland and if there where many brothers other duke titles where given (Duke of Västra Götaland und so weiter)... So the Earl title shouldn't be used in Sweden at all...

Although, I don't know if you PLAN to use earl there...
    I think it's not really an issue as Sweden isn't included in SS yet, and using it for Denmark and Norway seems to be more or less historically accurate.

@Zenith_Zenith
    Here's another dose of feedback, mate!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    some more suggestions:

1. "Military Minded" is described as "able to learn more from military education" (as I remember). However, this does not work at all for the Cumans and Mongols (perhaps others as well) because they learnt war by experience only. So "Military Minded" should be for them something like chance to gain more command skills and perhaps some starting command. 'Military Minded' means the affected characters are able to gain more trait points from anything military related, including both education and battles. There's no reason to touch this trait.

2. Cumans and Mongols were relying on experience, so perhaps allow them to gain more command (and perhaps dread as well) than the rest of the factions. Perhaps this would make the cumans stronger than how they are now (currently, if you play with Poland, Hungary, or the Roman Empire, the Cumans are the weakest target - and their spread out territory and poor settlements and pagan religion are the main causes). Also, if it is possible, some traits with -upkeep for units in the army, if it is possible. You know, raiders and bandits didn't actually need too much money to fight in a war (upkeep). They will certainly have high Dread, but I don't intend to give them Command bonus based on their nationality, as there were weak generals among them as well. As for the upkeeps, I don't plan to deal with them in this mod.

3. "leader pays no attention" trait is very annoying. I don't know in what circumstances it happens, but it happens very often. Anyway, I don't think the hordes cared much about the leader's attention. (and yes, the cumans I play with currently have a Khan that pays no attention to his generals - all generals receive this trait). For other factions, perhaps you do something so that it would not happen THAT often and perhaps tell me what to do to prevent it! I'll have a look at the trigger.

new traits suggestions:
    -Hates rebels and traitors - loyalty is this man's top priority: both for himself (if he is not the king) and for his subjects. Therefore, butchery is a mild treatment to such people: + 3/4 dread, + 3 loyalty, + 3/4 authority, + command when fighting rebels/brigands (if possible). Possible, but the effects you wrote are quite exaggerated.

- brutal leader - he gives very harsh punishments, even for slighter mistakes and wrongdoings. (I don't refer to justice here, only to what the leader considers wrong and bad) +dread, +public order, -public health Unnecessary, as there're already enough similar traits around - in fact, I plan to cut them down a bit.

- intimidator - he uses terrible ways to frighten the opponents in the battlefield, besides of the fact that he tortures his prisoners afterwards. (inspired by: Timur, as I remember, burnt camels so they were running desperately towards the enemy, who had elephants. the elephants panicked and killed a lot of their own (Khwarezmian/Persian) troops; Vlad the Impaler was using terrible methods to frighten the turks, like impaling them). Maybe.

- freethinker - he believes that it is best to think for himself, no matter what others say or believe. He will never believe some things just because the others believe them, even if they were about religion: + knowledge/thinking skills, -piety, -unrest (he knows how to deal with public problems because he THINKS and he doesn't fall to anything his advisors say). Pointless, as there's already the NonAuthoritarian trait.

- Pillager (especially for mongols and cumans, probably others fit this description as well) - he loves a lot to take by force goods from settlements, and this is the main reason he goes to battle. +money when loot, + command, + building points Already included.

- Raider/horde warrior (or something - I don't know if I found the right word) - only for factions like cumans and mongols, it's about attacking chaotically any enemy faction, the thirst for war and conquest, the pleasure to fight alongside many like them, attacking as a horde, putting fear in the enemy, etc. + more command, + dread, able to get more command traits, + movement points. Sounds like a default Cuman/Mongol attribute, so I don't think it would make sense to create it.

- barbarian - (perhaps only pagans and few other factions) he hasn't any kind of sense of chivalry, culture, moral teachings, etc. He cares only for his basic needs and loves battle a lot. + command, + hitpoints + dread. Possible.

- hates the christians (for muslim factions only) - "Thou shalt find that the people most hostile to the believers to be the Jews and the polytheists." and "They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One Allah" is what the Holy Words say. And this is surely what this man has found, and therefore, he hates any blasphemer who claims that there exists any other besides the One Allah. (i.e. both the jews and the muslims regard christians as polytheists). Already included.

- hates the muslims (for the crusader states; crusading generals of any catholic - perhaps after they fight muslims; the roman empire) - this man has come to the conclusion that the muslims are not only blasphemers who deny Christ by their faith, but also that they are uncivilized barbarians! Already included.

- hates the heretics (for catholic factions) - this man hates any man or religion who has separated from the Mother Catholic Church and continues in its heretical ways, apart from It (i.e. the Catholic Church). + command when attacking an Orthodox faction (they are considered by the catholics to have separated themselves from the Catholic Church, if I remember well, and were regarded as heretics by the 4th crusaders). Already included (HatesOrthodox trait).

perhaps hates the pagans for the teutons. Already included.

(perhaps hate X religion should be also triggered if the faction is at war with a faction with that religion, though I'm not very sure of this) I think it has been already realized as well.

- loyal to the horde (for cumans & mongols, and perhaps timurids - were timurids a horder?) - he does not have any thoughts of leaving the horde for other factions or to follow his own interests separated from it. + loyalty. It's pointless to make another Loyal trait only for them.

- hates corruption - this man may accept many things, but theft, bribery and unjust money are not of them. Instead, he sees these vices so powerful and severe/grave, that is he uses even the most harsh methods to punish the unjust, so he would put fear in any of his subjects if they think about doing such things. The governors and his family members actually fear him! +authority, +population growth, + law (perhaps global if possible), reduces the corruption traits of generals, if possible, and perhaps erases some. (this trait should be rare). Sounds like a mix of the Prim and Austere traits, therefore I don't really see the point of making this.

- ignorant to corruption - this man considers loyalty of his subjects important, but what other things and methods they use is not of interest to him. He actually believes that leaving governors do what they want with their subjects (e.g. peasants) is the best thing if you want them to like you. -authority, -population growth, - law, increases the corruption traits of generals, if possible, and perhaps creates some new ones (this trait should be rare). Same as above, only with the Upright and NonAuthoritarian traits this time.

(perhaps the corruption should be more relevant to civilized factions rather than pagans or hordes).

- Glorious Khan (for cumans, mongols, and if any others are like them, for Khans, of course) - he has brought many new territories to the horde (i.e. under his rule many territories have been conquered), which makes its subject see him as highly valuable
    for the growth in number, in power and of the territory, even for the future, of the horde. Same as the VictorVirtue trait.

(perhaps also "Great Emperor", "Great Sultan", etc.)
    -------
    by the way, the gallows and other buildings... if you think about the pagans, whom did not treat christians very well, can you adapt them in such a way to place persecutions there, and therefore, to increase the conversion rate for such settlements? that would help a bit the pagans (whom are really in minority amidst christian bishops and cardinals and, for cumans, even muslims). Thinking that they were barbarians, I believe that they could have dealt more effectively with the religious 'problems'.

and... you know, about the "interested in" I was talking about some time ago... you can have interested in arts/beautifications/religion/warfare/agriculture/science/architecture/etc. but there can be more at once (e.g. if one is interested in arts, he might also be interested in religion). Let's clear things up: the main goal of this project is to create more meaningful traits for the characters and eliminating the useless ones - that's why I'm generally picky with your suggestions. In my opinion, these "interested in ..." traits would also require a lot of effort to create, but would add very little to the gameplay. That said, I clearly don't support the idea of having nice, but insignificant traits.

by the way... in game, the "heretics" do not appear only from apostate priests, right? I mean, they also appear without such cause, right? I'm not sure, but I think they might spawn randomly on the map as well.

----------
    QUESTION: is it possible for a trait to be able to cause rebellion in settlements? perhaps such addition to corruption and other worthy disloyal traits would work fine. (but this unrest should be high enough for settlements to turn rebel). Such things happened to the Roman Empire if I remember well. Yep, some unrest penalty can be added.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

removed
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 22, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Fair Prince, there is a post of mine you didn't reply to... I hope you didn't forget about it. it was about witches, etc. where I replied your feedback. I'll reply to your other feedbacks after you finish with that.

Anyway, just some things came to mind: for muslims, either an advancement from "imam" or traits: Mufti, Grand Mufti, Sheikh. seek them on dictionary.reference.com or en.wikipedia.com for their meaning if you don't know what's with them.

By the way, some possible traits: sunni muslim, shi'ite muslim - these are two great divisions/denominations of Islam, and they are discussed here:
    http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter3/1.html
    http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...slam_sunni.htm

also
    Shia Muslims believe that the Imam is sinless by nature, and that his authority is infallible as it comes directly from God. Therefore, Shia Muslims often venerate the Imams as saints and perform pilgrimages to their tombs and shrines in the hopes of divine intercession.

Sunni Muslims counter that there is no basis in Islam for a hereditary privileged class of spiritual leaders, and certainly no basis for the veneration or intercession of saints. Sunni Muslims contend that leadership of the community is not a birthright, but a trust that is earned and which may be given or taken away by the people themselves.
    perhaps for a sunni muslim add popularity (it's the majority) and perhaps chivalry while for a shi'ite add loyalty (the ruler is chosen by Allah) and piety (gives more heed to what the imams tell).
    Last edited by Zenith_Zenith; February 21, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    @FP - as you know more about traits and ancillaries than i do - have you any idea why in SS6.4 (albeit a modded one, but with little done to ancillaries and traits)
    I can get both Siege Engineer ancillary and siege attacker traits without building a single ballista range let alone a higher level siege weapon range?
    I checked them and I think I found the bug, if it is a bug at all.
    Here are triggers for GoodEngineer trait (excluding the random_birth one):
    Trigger governor_building_castlesiege
    WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted

Condition SettlementBuildingFinished = c_siege_works
    and Trait MilitaryInclination = 1

Affects Military_Edu 1 Chance 20
    Affects GoodEngineer 1 Chance 20

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger governor_building_siege

Condition SettlementBuildingFinished = siege_works

Affects Military_Edu 1 Chance 10
    Affects GoodEngineer 1 Chance 10
    And here are the triggers for the Military_Engineer and Siege_Engineer ancillaries:
    Trigger military_engineer_vnv_trigger
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition EndedInSettlement
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= city_watch
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= catapult_range
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary military_engineer chance 5

Trigger military_engineer_vnv_trigger2
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= drill_square
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= c_catapult_range
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary military_engineer chance 8

Trigger siege_engineer_vnv_trigger
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= catapult_range
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary siege_engineer chance 3

Trigger siege_engineer_vnv_trigger2
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= c_catapult_range
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary siege_engineer chance 3

Trigger siege_engineer_vnv_trigger3
    Condition SettlementBuildingFinished >= siege_works

AcquireAncillary siege_engineer chance 33

Trigger siege_engineer_vnv_trigger4
    Condition SettlementBuildingFinished >= c_siege_works

AcquireAncillary siege_engineer chance 33
    As you can see, the conditions (highlighted) say it's enough if a siege type building exists in the settlement, there's no need to build one.
    I don't think it's a problem, but maybe more conditions could be assigned to them to make their occurence less likely.

Fair Prince, there is a post of mine you didn't reply to... I hope you didn't forget about it. it was about witches, etc. where I replied your feedback. I'll reply to your other feedbacks after you finish with that.
    Yeah, I read your comments, but truth to be told, I don't intend to discuss the heretic and witch traits here any further. I appreciate your good ideas on them, but simply put, they're not significant enough to be worthy of more debate. I'll see what I can do with your suggestions, but as I said before, the focus is on revamping the general traits.

FP - Problem is that those triggers are firing when there is no siege works of any kind being built or existing in a settlement.
    It's as if it just ignores the conditions and fires anyway.
    (I've actually deleted the castle siege works in their entirety and governors still get the ancillary in 1 or 2 turns of just sitting there.)
    Maybe changing the >= to just > might help?
    (or maybe the removing of the castle siege works is confusing it -I'll remove the triggers that refer to them.)
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    Indeed it was removing the castle siege works that confused the ancillaries and character traits.
    (I normally check all those when I do an alltowns but not a selective deletion of buildings.)

so for future reference (mine if nobody else's) - if you remove buildings from the EDB that are part of conditions in the EDCT or EDA the game engine will ignore those lines (ie treat them as true.) So you have to comment those buildings out.

And here's something to check for - if you change the map, delete provinces and then add replacement ones elsewhere, you need to check the EDCT for triggers relating to
    pilgrimages /visits to particular regions. For example the trigger for Rome checks for IsRegionOneOf 111 Rome_Province - but since the map changes in the 1100 mod, 111 is Corsica.
    To check region numbers use show_cursorstat - rough guide they start top left and work their way down to bottom right.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 22, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    Indeed it was removing the castle siege works that confused the ancillaries and character traits.
    (I normally check all those when I do an alltowns but not a selective deletion of buildings.)

so for future reference (mine if nobody else's) - if you remove buildings from the EDB that are part of conditions in the EDCT or EDA the game engine will ignore those lines (ie treat them as true.) So you have to comment those buildings out.

And here's something to check for - if you change the map, delete provinces and then add replacement ones elsewhere, you need to check the EDCT for triggers relating to
    pilgrimages /visits to particular regions. For example the trigger for Rome checks for IsRegionOneOf 111 Rome_Province - but since the map changes 111 is Corsica.
    To check region numbers use show_cursorstat - rough guide they start top left and work their way down to bottom right.
    Thanks Roz, I'll keep this in mind!

Re changing map and region IDs

check this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...11#post6450611

which is annoying my Docudemons v4.00 has:
    Identifier: IsRegionOneOf
    Trigger requirements: region_id
    Parameters: list of regions given by label or number
    Sample use: IsRegionOneOf 0 Caribbean_Isles
    Description: Test is a region in given region list?
    Battle or Strat: Strat
    Class: IS_REGION_ONE_OF
    So I have to go back and check the region ID for every occurrence of where it wants a Region name
    (I deleted the numbers but now find that doesn't work - I know I just tested it, which is why I checked in Mod Workshop)

update - here's region IDs

1100 Map revision - region IDs for EDCT
    ---------------------------------------

region region ID

Acre 180
    Aleppo 150
    Antioch 158
    Baghdad 168
    Constantinople 105
    Damascus 170
    Edessa 156
    Gaza 191
    Jerusalem 183
    Leon 106
    Mecca 198
    Medina 184
    Rome 110
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; February 22, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

I also got an inspired idea on the weekend that I'd like to share here.
    First, I have to admit I was wrong with one of my previous statements that ancillary triggers can't be linked to traits. I checked it again and now I know they can, though apparently it's not working backwards (trait triggers can't be linked to ancillaries).
    And that made me think a bit about a powerful feature I always wanted to see in the game: military ranks!

Basically, these ranks would determine where does a general stands in the hierarchy, i.e. how important he is. I'm thinking about the following ones:
    Junior general
    Senior general
    Royal Court/Household member
    War Council member

Every newly spawned/trained general would start as a Junior and could earn Senior status by serving his king loyally in the course of time. It's nothing serious, basically he just has to avoid bad defeats and any rebellions to earn a promotion. However, he can speed things up by excelling on the battlefield or demonstrating great loyalty to his lord, exactly like it's going in the real life as well: you either show promise or kiss some ass.

Those who are really successful in either of these could step up and gain admission to the Royal Court, while the chosen ones could even obtain War Council membership, the top of the career ladder for generals. And that's where the ancillary triggers kick in: the various court titles (chancellor, constable, etc.) would be linked to the military ranks, meaning only Household or War Council members would have chance to acquire them, just like it should be.

As a result, no more random newbies would be promoted to marshalls just because they have some Command points - they would need to have some career (or strong support) behind them to reach that feat. If there's no suitable candidate around then the office in question would remain unfilled until one pops up. I still need to think about the court titles and the governors' prospects with these ranks, but I think now I'm on the right track with this.

Let me know what you think, chaps!

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Brillant, marvelous, what else to say. A rep is well deserved for that mate

You could also do the same but for administrative aspects. They were rankings in administration. Also, a banker trait might be a good trait for administrative ones
    Last edited by Polycarpe; February 22, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Sounds promising

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

Has anyone suggested the implementation of some ancillaries that refelect the different honours that individual knights could be awarded?
    such as the Papal orders of chivalary that were give by the pope, maybe high piety or going on crusade could be a trigger?

There were several "honours" given in England, such as the Honour of Peverel , I have already implented this in my 6.1 game and i think others like it would be good for the SS community and i am currently doing the research if you guys want it?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofPeverel View Post
    Has anyone suggested the implementation of some ancillaries that refelect the different honours that individual knights could be awarded?
    such as the Papal orders of chivalary that were give by the pope, maybe high piety or going on crusade could be a trigger?

There were several "honours" given in England, such as the Honour of Peverel , I have already implented this in my 6.1 game and i think others like it would be good for the SS community and i am currently doing the research if you guys want it?
    SoP

hope you're not confusing honours as a reward, like a medal or status of rank -
    with
    an Honour which was a medieval land-holding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour_...land_tenure%29