Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Mods Launcher v1.0

Default Steam Mods Launcher v1.0

This tool allows you to play any mod for RTW, BI or Alex with Steam.

Installation instructions :
    If you have only RTW gold, simply unzip the file somewhere, and double-click on the exe.
    If you have the gold version and Alexander: Copy the content of the rome total war gold folder, and paste it inside the Alexander folder. Do NOT overwrite files. Then unzip the file somewhere, and double-click on the exe. This will allow you to use RTW, BI and Alex from the Alexander folder.

How to use it :
    Make sure you are logged in your Steam account.
    The first time, you'll be asked to configure the launcher. Simply enter your Steam User Name, then the name of mod folder (vi for the viking invasion mod, for instance). You can then change those settings later by clicking on the "Configure" button.
    Enter the command line options in the bar at the bottom, then save them. (ie -show_err -nm)
    Enter play.

Here is how it looks like.

The file consist of the exe, the source code plus the background image. An additional ini file should be created upon first use, and bat files in your Steam folders.

The old message
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A lot of mods have troubles with Steam, and especially with starting their mods. A few methods exist, but they can be hard to do for users.

While working on Roma Surrectum, along with PatricianS from RTR, we've developed together a launcher that automates that, allowing the user to start the mod with different options.

This tool is a massive rewrite of this launcher, which should allow it towork with every RTW mods (BI and Alex too) out there, modfoldered or not. A few functions were only edited, and the rest is brand new.

Here is how it looks like.

The first time you start it, you'll be ask to configure the launcher. It will first ask for your Steam Account name, then for the name of the modfolder to use. If you are using Viking Invasion, you'll have to type vi. (If my memory is good). If the mod is not modfoldered, just leave it empty.
    Once that done, you'll just need to select the engine you want to use (and that you have), the command line (-show_err by default), and click on start.
    If you want to change your username, or the mod to use, just click on configure.

It works with both RTW and Alex, but no with BI yet.

The file consist of the exe, plus the background image.
    Last edited by Paedric; December 23, 2010 at 06:47 AM.

Default Re: Steam Mods Launcher v0.8

Great idea, nice work!

Although I don't have Steam and therefore I don't have this kind of issues, hopefully this will help all those people who can't play RTW mods because of that stupid Steam!

Default Re: Steam Mods Launcher v0.8

cant work tried to install it but after i entered the mod folder, it just stoped te installation hlp pls

Default Re: Steam Mods Launcher v0.9

New version that works with RTW and Alex but not yet with BI.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

So, starting steam BI using the method described here didn't work?
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Well, we only managed to launch RTW with it, but we tested quickly.
    Probably something that wasn't quite right, I just need to take a hold on apple to do some more testing.

Hackworthy's Avatar Libertus

I'm not sure I understand how this launcher works... can it help me play RTRPE using Steam?
    Plus, ultra!

Default Re: Steam Mods Launcher v1.0

Updated to version 1.0.
    Should be fully functional now.

I don't quite understand this launcher. I do all that and it just wont start the mod.
    Tell me if there's a specific folder to put this or..... something.
    I tried everything and it doesn't seem to work.

Well, I'll give an example, as it probably the easiest.
    I've done all my testing with RSII, so I'm going to use the name of one of the modfolder here.

First, I started by making a back-up of both the gold and alexander folders, just to be sure.
    I then went inside the gold folder, and copied everything.
    I pasted it inside the alexander, and I said "No" when asked if I wanted to overwrite files. I've found that doing it allows you to play mods with every exe without having to install it in both folders, but it is in no way mandatory, just very convenient.
    I then installed the mod, as I would do as usual; there it really depends on the instructions given by the mod's devs.
    Once that done, I unziped the file I posted here in a folder called Modlauncher in C:\My documents. Just put it wherever you want, at long at it is outside the program files. (As an habit, I keep my games, and everything I know I will tinkered with outside of the program files, as the restrictions that are there for security reasons often can often become a pain in the back.)
    Start the exe file, and the window should appear.
    To configure it, in this instance, I put "paedric" as my steam name (as it is the name I use), then "play_rome" in the modfolder, since I wanted to start the modfolder play_rome of RSII. Just replace this last bit by the name of the folder used by the mod, if the mod is not modfoldered, just leave it empty.
    Select your exe, and start.

If this is not working, I would check 4 things first.
    -Make sure you are connected to your Steam account.
    -Make sure you put the correct Steam user name. It's the one you enter when you connect to steam (above your password)
    -Make sure you entered the correct folder name. If you are unsure of what you should enter, have a look in the main game directory, and look for a folder with a name that should be close to the mod you want to play. You should enter exactly the name of this folder when you configure.
    -Check if there is a .bat file in the main directory of the game. It should be called "LauchModSteam.bat". Please tell me if there are none.

there aint .bat file

Could you try this one please? The problem you have is because the launcher doesn't have permission to create the files. I hope it should fix it.

tried. No luck D:
    It doesn't launch it D: D: D:

Was there the uac window that poped up to ask for permission?

yep.

Big THX for this will try.

I Was looking at a bunch of great mods for RTW BI etc and alot of people where having issues with the mod and steam. May I post the link to those pages in the forum It would help alot of people out Im sure.

yea it dosent work

Having a bit of a problem here. I'm trying to use the Rise of Persia mod with this launcher and it's not working. I've followed the instructions in the first post and copied the contents of my RTW Gold folder (including the ROP folder) into my Alexander folder, but the launcher doesn't seem to interact at all with the Alexander folder. When I try to run the launcher it actually just creates a ROP folder (with a save and preference folder inside) in my RTW Gold folder and ends up launching vanilla RTW. How do I make the launcher use with Alexander and not RTW Gold?

What if you dont have Winzip ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast