Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing the game of my life!

Adler's Avatar Libertus

Default Playing the game of my life!

This is a personal thanks LT, I have been playing TW since Shogun, cripes... how many years ago!!! Even back then I longed for a Roman one. RTW was a dream come true, then I found the RTR mod by accident one day & have been changing it back from its Selucid bent ever since... (I want my Imperial Legions!) Have gone through a heap of mods since but had never heard of this one until a chap with a Imp.Leg mod for RTR had it on his signiture.

Anyway too the point, downloaded & am playing it too death! I have never played such a great game of RTW! No embasadores to give me the build up break, attacked from all sides, no bribing cities to get what I want with out pain & endless bloodshed, it is bloody awesome! The units are really well ballanced, it is a challenge with out being overwelming & stressful & no crashes!!!, I have reverted to true Roman tactics, hell, I am even speaking latin to my staff!

Something you old campaigners might want to try for fun: I moved the Senate to Lesbos (nothing politically correct about that ) & deleted Brutti & Scipio & gave all the Senate, Scip & Brut territories units & cash (except Senate units & cash) to Julius. This gave me the "running an empire" feel plus the "I am on my own" feel to, & it added heaps to the experience. My legions get shiped around as I pummel one front for it bit, them dam it up & rush to the others to keep them in check. It really is worth a try. Especially with the Senate still giving you commands to take this & that, I try to always do waht they want for added realism & challenge. Its the best game I have ever ever ever played!

Although I love the named legions, & reading the history, I have a bit of a job working out where I got them from for reinforcements... especially when the Senate gave me one. A gameplay request would be to put in the text at the bottom of the history what SPQR region they are recruited from to aid those of us who have not been long term dedicated followers... but who want to be! Another suggestion as one who stumbled over this mod would be perhaps have a post/locked thread actually saying what SPQR is, it purpose & how it is different & a few screen shots, as I neally didnt download it until I saw the request for screen shots thread, & then was even more blown away by its features when I powered it up. I shudder at the thought that I almost missed out on this experience!

Many thanks LT, consider your hand shook, you have a dedicated fan & a capable beta tester if ever you need one. I will certainly be converting my friends!
    I have traversed Roman ruins from Israel, Egypt, Greece, Jordan & Italy.

Believe me, playing the game is more fun!

Chris

I'm glad you have such a great experiance with the game, as do I. Read the thread "Disillusioned with SPQR" if you want to see someone who is a bit..unreasonable..with SPQR.

Off Topic: I like your sig, and is that a Nazi Medal in your "avatar-photo". Note, I won't jump on you screaming Neo-Nazi, Hitler, etc. I am just curious

-Revan

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

I think its a WW1 german medal, but it could be WW2 as well.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Adler, Wow thank you for the compliments. I plan to do a better advertising campaign for 5.0 since it will be the last version of this mod, and I will mod the late republic mod for SPQR.

On the Senate, no need to move them asI plan to have a Unified Rome with the Senate still there in Rome, so you can TAKE power later, but No scipii or Brutii, so it will be more of a challenge, plus I will have the standard version with the 3 families. Its pretty easy for me to do this. I will take your suggestions on Stating more of what the mod does. Its a simple mod I shared with others, and I was never one for Glory with it. But you are right, many people may miss out because its not as well known as RTR with all that advertising the former Nowomai did. He really was good at hussling Notice of the mod.

Thanks again for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the newer version later.

Lt1956
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

I'm 99.9% sure that the medal is from Hitler's Third Reich. I see medals looking exactly like it in old photos and stuff.

-Revan

Could be a german pilots/observer badge from WWII, but then it should have a swastika and not the iron cross

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

I don't think The Wehrmact ever used Swastikas. Only Black, Iron ones, like the one in his avatar.

-Revan

Adler's Avatar Libertus

All the best LT, like I said, just yell if you need some help. I have plenty of skillz & it seems we think along similar lines.

Re my avatar, been using it for 7 years & never had a comment It is a WWII Pilots Award from my collection, de-nazified with an Iron Cross over the Swatistika. Love the period, just not the ideaology. I collect Eagles you see, hence Adler being German for Eagle.

I brought a wad of interesting stuff when I was in Rome in June & I will email you some pics LT, might be useful as the 5.0 SPQR logo, as Mussallini (sp) liked to harken back the Glory of Rome days with many of his badges etc, & blew about 4,000 Euro on all kinds of bits & pieces.

Chris

Ah, Ok I was just clearing it up because I'm interested in that sort of thing, I was in no means criticizing or villifying you by pointing out your avatar.
    -Revan

I too would like to add my appreciation for the work LT has done. It is an excellent mod and I am looking forward to SPQR 5.0. Congratulations on your well deserved Senatorii appointment.
    Warning. Make certain that the face of the mine marked "Front Toward Enemy" and the arrows on top of the mine point in the direction of the enemy.
    US Army FM 23-23 Chapter 2 (Regarding Claymores)

Adler's Avatar Libertus

Default After a few requests...

Thanks for the PM's gents, a few of you have asked for the desc_strat file... so here it is: http://www.our-world.org/images/descr_strat.txt

Chris

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Ahh, thats what threw me, the cross is a german symbol from WW1.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    Read the thread "Disillusioned with SPQR" if you want to see someone who is a bit..unreasonable..with SPQR.
    Revan, can I get a link to that thread? I would like to defend SPQR.
    "There must be no course but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man. There must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end."

-Field Marshall Douglas Haig
    April 12, 1918

The guy who orginally posted never came back after his first post, probably do to fierce resistance from the SPQR community and us showing how stupid his "points" were. I'll try to find it for you though.

Edit: Here it is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37820

-Revan

Thank you, Revan. I honestly do not understand why people attempt to bash SPQR. In my opinion, this mod has the best gameplay, units, makes the best use of the AI, and is the most entertaining of any other mod I have played. Also, I am pretty certain that SPQR is one of the highest played mods in the entire TW community, so throwing insults at it is like shooting a BB gun at a freight train.

P.S.: I have been active in the TWC community for around a year by reading forums, playing mods, etc., but have never made a name. I have only recently done so due to my purchase of an excellent PC and high speed internet. I only say this because I do not wish to be viewed as a total moron, which is what (i dont mean to generalize, but) most people with few posts are.
    "There must be no course but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man. There must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end."

-Field Marshall Douglas Haig
    April 12, 1918

Adler's Avatar Libertus

I always thought those with rediculusly high counts where the morons... spamage etc...

Or staff on the forums. lol I would hate to be listed with Spammers and Morons. ;-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

I also play with unified Rome now, with senate intact in Rome and it is quite a fun game.
    Mind you, I also saved the regular descr_strat from LT.

It is now 239 BC, 4 turns a year.
    I gave Sicilia_Romanus to the rebels who are keeping Carthage and the Greeks at bay.
    On the mainland the Gauls are at my front door with 5 full armies.
    The Greeks are owning Macedon, the Dacians are still holding out against the Germans,
    Greeks and Macedon and hasn't lost a single city yet.
    Seleucia is being overwhelmed by Pontus and Egypt.
    And I'm planning not to expand until the Marian Reforms. Only defending my borders.

Some of my cities are growing rapidly though. Some are already past 12000.
    But still, it is a fun game and this afternoon I'm going to fight my first big battle.
    One legion against +/- 6000 Gauls.

Adler's Avatar Libertus

It is an amazing change isint it Gill, for the 1st few hours of my game I was never sure from one turn to the next if I would I hold the line. I just seemed to be rushing my Legions from one front to the next to stop this bunch invading, then off to stop the next. My biggest dilema came when I had to decide to either take out Dacia to form my Danube Defence line or leave them in peace. I choose take em out & what a battle... I manage to keep one of my Legions alive with just 6 men in the Aquila cohort! I decided if I lost a Legion I would not reform it you see. If I had know how hard the Spanish where to Subdue I would have concentrated there instead. I think the fact that SPQR is so diffferent is what captivated me, it is like a new game full of unkowns... I hope it continues to be so.

Chris

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by I Nicator I
    Thank you, Revan. I honestly do not understand why people attempt to bash SPQR. In my opinion, this mod has the best gameplay, units, makes the best use of the AI, and is the most entertaining of any other mod I have played. Also, I am pretty certain that SPQR is one of the highest played mods in the entire TW community, so throwing insults at it is like shooting a BB gun at a freight train.
    Yeah it is in my opinion the absolute best mod there is to RTW. It is the first and only mod i have ever tried for rome, but ive had so much fun with SPQR this far im not going to try another for a long time.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast