Thread: Religion and Culture

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Religion and Culture

How will you handle the religions in the game? I'd say you can use traits but idk what these traits would do such as population happiness, command, piety etc. I know that you are using culture conversion instead of religion, and thats awesome. So i was just curious what you would be doing to effectively show the different religions in action in the time period.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

Default Re: Religion and Culture

from what ive gathered bards will act like priests and spread culture... as for religion i think its mostly just based off culture like the brittania campaign

Well, Religion played a huge part in this time period. Christians hated, and absolutely hated Pagans. And Pagans hated Christians. It would make it harder for mercia/northumbria/wessex/east anglia to declare war against each other because they're christian and priests acting as advisers would condemn that. I hope some sort of religious things will be implemented into the game.

It still works out that way for the most part because those factions share the same culture.

An more in-depth religion system (based on traits) will be added later.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    It still works out that way for the most part because those factions share the same culture.

Awesome, thanks for responding

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post

as always GatorMarine1833 you continue to amaze us +rep

i would prefer religion, but i guess then they will have to design pagen priests or...?

Quote Originally Posted by nappulm View Post
    i would prefer religion, but i guess then they will have to design pagen priests or...?
    Probably. But they use cultures so they use skalds and bards The cultures is actually really nice because any mod that has cultures will show you - when there's still a certain % of a different culture, you can recruit some of the units of that culture.

Just out interest, will Mercia be pagan? Because from what I know they were the last Pagan kingdom in the world and only became Christian when they were literally surrounded by Christian kingdoms after the death of Penda.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by <> Beowulf <> View Post
    Just out interest, will Mercia be pagan? Because from what I know they were the last Pagan kingdom in the world and only became Christian when they were literally surrounded by Christian kingdoms after the death of Penda.
    Lol. Where did you hear that?

I doubt this is correct, because the last pagan kingdom I heard of was Lithuania, and they became christian in the 13-14 century, long after the kingdom of mercia ends its existence

Quote Originally Posted by diiter View Post
    I doubt this is correct, because the last pagan kingdom I heard of was Lithuania, and they became christian in the 13-14 century, long after the kingdom of mercia ends its existence
    How about native Americans, Aborigines etc. He said: in the whole world, hell, there are still pagans!

He said pagan kingdom, so no, there arent any of these today
    And first, I believe the religion of native americans and aborigines isnt called paganism, its more like pantheism or so, but I aint an expert at this^^
    Second, I wouldnt call there tribes kingdoms

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

It probably mean european paganism

Sorry I phrased it wrong

I meant in the British Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by <> Beowulf <> View Post
    Sorry I phrased it wrong

I meant in the British Isles.
    Mercia became christian long before the start of the mod. The mod starts in 865, and the mercians converted in the 600's i believe. So no, the only pagans are the Norse factions (Vestfold, Hordaland, Denmark, and the Early Norman Clans).

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Mercia became christian long before the start of the mod. The mod starts in 865, and the mercians converted in the 600's i believe. So no, the only pagans are the Norse factions (Vestfold, Hordaland, Denmark, and the Early Norman Clans).
    Yes you are right. ... but i think he thought that it was a last SAXON pagan kingdom.

Mercian religion
    Main articles: Mercian Religion, Chad of Mercia, Cedd, Wulfhere, and Merewalh
    The first kings of Mercia were pagans, and they resisted the encroachment of Christianity longer than other kingdoms in the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy.
    Mercian rulers remained resolutely pagan until the reign of Peada in 656, although this did not prevent them joining coalitions with Christian Welsh rulers to resist Northumbria. The first appearance of Christianity in Mercia, however, had come at least thirty years earlier, following the Battle of Cirencester of 628, when Penda incorporated the formerly West Saxon territories of Hwicce into his kingdom.
    The conversion of Mercia to Christianity occurred in the latter part of the 7th century, and by the time of Penda's defeat and death, Mercia was largely surrounded by Christian states. Diuma, an Irish monk and one of Oswiu's missionaries was subsequently ordained a bishop - the first to operate in Mercia. Christianity finally gained a foothold in Mercia when Oswiu supported Peada as sub-king of the Middle Angles, requiring him to marry Oswiu's daughter, Alchflaed, and to accept her religion[14].
    Decisive steps to Christianise Mercia were taken by Chad (Latinised by Bede as Ceadda), the fifth[15] bishop to operate in Mercia. This controversial figure was given land by King Wulfhere to build a monastery at Lichfield. As in other Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, the many small monasteries established by the Mercian kings allowed the political/military and ecclesiastical leadership to consolidate their unity through bonds of kingship[16].
    Wiki

I think its absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Yes you are right. ... but i think he thought that it was a last SAXON pagan kingdom.

Mercian religion
    Main articles: Mercian Religion, Chad of Mercia, Cedd, Wulfhere, and Merewalh
    The first kings of Mercia were pagans, and they resisted the encroachment of Christianity longer than other kingdoms in the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy.
    Mercian rulers remained resolutely pagan until the reign of Peada in 656, although this did not prevent them joining coalitions with Christian Welsh rulers to resist Northumbria. The first appearance of Christianity in Mercia, however, had come at least thirty years earlier, following the Battle of Cirencester of 628, when Penda incorporated the formerly West Saxon territories of Hwicce into his kingdom.
    The conversion of Mercia to Christianity occurred in the latter part of the 7th century, and by the time of Penda's defeat and death, Mercia was largely surrounded by Christian states. Diuma, an Irish monk and one of Oswiu's missionaries was subsequently ordained a bishop - the first to operate in Mercia. Christianity finally gained a foothold in Mercia when Oswiu supported Peada as sub-king of the Middle Angles, requiring him to marry Oswiu's daughter, Alchflaed, and to accept her religion[14].
    Decisive steps to Christianise Mercia were taken by Chad (Latinised by Bede as Ceadda), the fifth[15] bishop to operate in Mercia. This controversial figure was given land by King Wulfhere to build a monastery at Lichfield. As in other Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, the many small monasteries established by the Mercian kings allowed the political/military and ecclesiastical leadership to consolidate their unity through bonds of kingship[16].
    Wiki

I think its absolutely correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Thanks for the answers