Thread: archers + easier battles in HUGE?

Default archers + easier battles in HUGE?

before yesterday i started a campaign as julii. i remember my "large" experiences with problems with overpowered gauls and lossing 51% of battles.
    but now i wanted to start a new campaign in HUGE unit size. i did it and after 6 turns i besieged bolonia, it was a 2300 romans against 3500 gauls.. i won and guess what I ONLY HAD 100 LOSSES!!!
    my archers (while siege rams rammed the city cate and walls) killed about 300 gauls.

anyways, i was surprised...

then, two turns later they attacked me with 1 and a half stacks. they "again" had more man than i had. about 10 gauls per 7 romans.

i won... i lost about 25% of my units while they lost 85%.

this NEVER happened in my campaign with LARGE unit size.......
    is there a difference?
    and well. talking about archers, i decrease their ammo ammont (less arrows) from 90 to 70 because those archers and even slingers could kill hundreds of enemies.

I have no idea but if you are attacking early and with LOTS of missile units that may make a difference? Believe it or not Large settings is Easier. SPQR is a game that gets HARDER the farther you go into your campaign.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

yep, your fighting relatively unarmored troops with missiles. This will cause massive casualties any way you look at it. The difference is that you kill more at each volley, causing a larger morale penalty, and probibly what seems like easier battles. wait till you reach the huge high level battles, archers will seem like a godsend.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

ok. thanks.
    il continue with this "easy-so-far"

Play along, enjoy it whilst it lasts, wait until chosen swordsmen!

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

Lusius, 10 to 7 is what it's SUPPOSED to be like if you totally suck. And you say that it's a new height for you!?! Good god man, sorry for being rude, but you need to learn tactics.

Also, using archers outside walls while ram is ramming is sort of cheap. Because the AI just run around like baffoons getting their asses shot off.

-Revan

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by LuiSius_ScutaRuS
    ok. thanks.
    il continue with this "easy-so-far"

you'll find when the more elite troops start turning up that archers are fairly useless except for killing enemy missile troops, cavalry and routing troops. Velites do the job better against the more heavily armoured elites.

Although it has to be said archers are always good for seiges
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Especially defending.

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.