Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

I've skipped Alpha Zeke's turn in rivoli since it's been over 48 hours since it first became his turn. I did email him. I'll probably do this in the future as well if it waits that long for one person. The game must go on.

He did get his money and a random plot.

Edit:

The game has come almost full circle since I skipped alpha's turn, it's Senshi's turn now.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 15, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

My bad! I took ill, but I'm glad you went on without me as, the show must go on

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zeke View Post
    My bad! I took ill, but I'm glad you went on without me as, the show must go on
    No worries, hope you are feeling better. Will be your turn again soon.

Retired moderator of TWC

Albath's Avatar Civis

Is there an open spot?
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

Just played my turn, but the game crashed as soon as the "sending email notification to Great Britain player" message popped up again. Savegame was sent successfully, I hope.
    Tired of annoying filehosters and corrupted downloads when grabbing DMUC?
    Check out my easy and fast torrents HERE!
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

Senshi, yes it did send properly, it is Alpha's turn again. Alpha please let us know if you will be able to play your turns now, if you still can't I can continue to pass your turn so we can keep going. I'll try to figure out what's causing that crash.

Albath, France is open (as well as many minor nations, but france is most in need of a player, and would be most fun). PM me an email address and I'll add you if you want to play them.

Retired moderator of TWC

Also, the France AI is full of WTFPWN currently and kind of steamrolls Western Europe. Quite scary, those expansions. Really, I have no idea how the hell the AI managed to kill of Brittany, Switzerland and Savoy that quick and now even expand into Spain, while also taking the first German territories.

EDIT: A "Back to Main Menu" function would also be cool for the ingame menu . It's kinda annoying having to restart the game every time you go to a new game.
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

Looks like France's neighbors are not doing their job quelling them. They're all humans, I blame it on that. Usually the British and Spanish AI will be invading france making this not possible.

The menu thing hopefully will come but it will take me a lot of time to do.

Retired moderator of TWC

Some minor "usability" nuisances I just noticed (just conquered 92 regions with GB, my first victory ever! yay!):

Can you do something about the northernmost regions? They are difficult to control (especially Finland and the thing next to it) because they are small and are cluttered by the menu&buttons.
    Is it possible to include a small "block" upon hitting the "Next" button? I sometimes accidently click it twice (dunno if my hand is just that shaky or my mouse is screwed up), advancing me to the next phase without my will (happens especially during assault phases when I conquer a region and then have to "accept" the movement changes.) . Alternatively, would it be possible to use two seperate buttons, one for accepting in-phase-changes (like moving during attack phase or moving during movement phase) and one button exclusively for switching through the phases?

If moving troops along routes that are not linearly connected (well, actually that's only the case for the Ireland-Southern France connection I think) the crossed swords symboling the connection is not along the painted connection, but oddly in the middle of nowhere. Probably not easy to fix, though...

It is not incredibly well visible to what provinces Palatinate is connected to. The first time I had to use the neighbours-view to make sure.

Is it possible to add the "continent : xxx" line to the regular view? I often want to check what continent one specific province belongs to and don't want to have to cycle through all the screen modes for that.

I like the new economy system, however. Adds much flavour.

One thing I'd like to see changed gameplay-wise: The building of forts currently is a bit too strong. Simply because managing to hold a region for a single turn allows you to immediately stack a fort worth 30 bataillons on it, increasing its defensibility largely. I think making the fort being build slowly would be better. Something like x fort-strength per turn. There should be an inidicator however, showing that the fort is in construction so people can separate forts in construction from forts that are just damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
    Some minor "usability" nuisances I just noticed
    Can you do something about the northernmost regions? They are difficult to control (especially Finland and the thing next to it) because they are small and are cluttered by the menu&buttons.
    I need to make some "table" space off the map so you can scroll off the edge. I need a good repeatable texture to use off here, and then I need to code that. Not a simple change, but I intend to do so. An alternative would be to have this built into the map, but then the map images would be bigger which I don't like.

Is it possible to include a small "block" upon hitting the "Next" button? I sometimes accidently click it twice (dunno if my hand is just that shaky or my mouse is screwed up), advancing me to the next phase without my will (happens especially during assault phases when I conquer a region and then have to "accept" the movement changes.) . Alternatively, would it be possible to use two seperate buttons, one for accepting in-phase-changes (like moving during attack phase or moving during movement phase) and one button exclusively for switching through the phases?
    I probably should do this. Any way I do it involves making more graphics which is my weak point, but I can see why it's annoying and it ought to be changed.

If moving troops along routes that are not linearly connected (well, actually that's only the case for the Ireland-Southern France connection I think) the crossed swords symboling the connection is not along the painted connection, but oddly in the middle of nowhere. Probably not easy to fix, though...
    I wanted to do this but never found it at the top of the list. Right now the swords are located on the midpoint of the line connecting the centers of the two regions. This is easier than having the map maker set the points by hand, but I can do a mix (let the map maker specify some of them). Not a priority though.

It is not incredibly well visible to what provinces Palatinate is connected to. The first time I had to use the neighbours-view to make sure.
    Maybe a new map version someday will fix that, but regenerating the map images is something I avoid, since it takes me 15 minutes and also means everyone has to download 20MB update next time they play.

Is it possible to add the "continent : xxx" line to the regular view? I often want to check what continent one specific province belongs to and don't want to have to cycle through all the screen modes for that.
    Better, I should add buttons somewhere to switch between map views, rather than using F1. These won't be hard to add but I'll need to make graphics for them, again.

I like the new economy system, however. Adds much flavour.
    Yeah I like it too. Could use a lot of improvement, but it's fun meanwhile.

One thing I'd like to see changed gameplay-wise: The building of forts currently is a bit too strong. Simply because managing to hold a region for a single turn allows you to immediately stack a fort worth 30 bataillons on it, increasing its defensibility largely. I think making the fort being build slowly would be better. Something like x fort-strength per turn. There should be an inidicator however, showing that the fort is in construction so people can separate forts in construction from forts that are just damaged.
    Yes I want to do this, again it needs a graphic, perhaps a scaffold overlay on the fort, and it's not a really simply change. Eventually.

So in short, all the things you ask for I want to do, when I have time. Thank you for all this feedback, there were some good ideas I hadn't yet thought of, and these make it easier for me to decide what to do.

Retired moderator of TWC

Yeah, as I'm a mod developer myself I know that feedback often is rare, so I like to be quite elaborate with handing it out on projects I like. Sometimes maybe too much, though...it's just I start writing it up on the spot and suddenly it's a wall of text with dozens of issues .

It is never too much.

Retired moderator of TWC

Could you enlighten on the combat system? Are there penalties invoked for naval landings? How extensive are they? Are there special penalties when fighting forts? Aside the 30 bataillon strength? Or is the fort "garrison" just added to the main army in the sector in combat?

Albath's Avatar Civis

How about we all declare a truce and go fight the true enemy at hand (the AI) ?
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
    Could you enlighten on the combat system? Are there penalties invoked for naval landings? How extensive are they? Are there special penalties when fighting forts? Aside the 30 bataillon strength? Or is the fort "garrison" just added to the main army in the sector in combat?
    Currently, there is no penalty for naval landings, and no penalty for attacking forts (its just +30 troops). Of course your attack does get stopped after you take the fort since you can't keep going, so they slow down invasions.

I do intend to make naval landings have a penalty (and a way to "develop a navy" to have a stronger defense against naval landings, which England for instance would start with), but that's not in yet.

How about we all declare a truce and go fight the true enemy at hand (the AI) ?
    Good luck convincing me!

Albath, from the status report, it looks like your game is not up to date. When you start the game does it say there is a new update available?
    Last edited by Garnier; September 18, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

How hard would it be for me to convert the map to a LOTR map?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    How hard would it be for me to convert the map to a LOTR map?
    Not hard at all once I release the gimp scripts used to generate the different map images and flag images. You could do it by hand any way you want but the scripts make it much, much easier, especially if you want to change it later.

Middle Earth map is something I'd love to see, but I just don't have time to do anything but work on the game itself.

The main task would be to get a big map image, and in a separate layer in GIMP draw single-pixel single-color not antialiased lines for the region borders. This you can do without the scripts. The scripts are used to combine the borders with the map background image to create the final images used by the game. This is the part that would be tedious to do by hand.

Then you'd want region names, and I have a tool for opening your map and plopping region names down on the regions. You don't edit a text file by hand for this.

For making the factions, you have several things to make:

1. Flags, you get a set of BMPs. For rectangular flags, you have images that are 500px * 333px. For square flags they can be any size but must be square. You put these in a folder, run a gimp script, which generates a .dds file with the flags all in it, shaped and shadowed just like the ones in the game. Then you run a python script if you want, which creates the specifications for these graphics that you put in the spreadsheet for the game to use. It might take 10 minutes to figure out the first time, but after that it's really fast.

2. Generals names
    You make lists of names and assign a list to each faction. Factions can share lists and have more than one list. Names are randomly chosen from the faction's lists each time a new one is needed. Generals that start in a scenario can be named on the spot without the name being in any list.

3. Faction color, faction name. these are really simple.

4. Making scenarios for your map is easy, you do it in game and just click on things to change factions, troops, forts, generals. If you know where you want stuff, it takes barely any time to put it where you want it.

The graphics for generals and forts can also be customized for each map, and different factions can have different graphics for these, I just made one set.

I will post here once I release these scripts and also when I begin a modding guide on the P&C wiki. I would love to see people make maps.

Retired moderator of TWC

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Sounds pretty fun to do. I was wanting to make a mod for this so that saxdude and I can have our epic fight over who gets to rule the thema devia

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

I am still happy to do make scenarios or maps for this game. So please ask it if you can use my help and if you release your gimp stuff. I haven't had time to play these last days, but I surely want to help..
    LOTR map would be awesome to make. I can base it off my own submod for tatw called divide and conquer

edit. If you want music or sounds. Download them here: http://www.rejenorst.com/music/music.html
    All legal and pretty good. He is a nice guy so he will be happy that you use his music. Also a big choice
    Last edited by Eöl; September 18, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

I get a 404 error when I try to go to the site.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast