Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS (1 player needed for MP game)

One more player needed and then we will start the 7 player game. If you want to play, pick France or Russia, and PM me an email address so you can be alerted when it's your turn.

Today I added some things. First, it shows which side's strategy is better in a battle, by showing a number of stars on each side in the battle screen.

Also, your generals can have a reputation as daring or cautious depending on the strategies they like, and you'll know this before they actually fight. However, you still won't know the specific strategies they prefer until after you see them use them.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

It would be completely helpful for me, if someone can post a video of this game, so I can see how this game is. Or at least more pictures, before I download.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

its a 2 second download and 10 second get into a game. I recommend downloading it as a video would not do much justice

Well as we haven't got a 7th player to be France in this game, I'm starting it now anyway with the six players we have. If anyone wants to join in as France (or any of the minor nations), just let me know.

The game is named rivoli. I just have a shuffled list of Napoleonic battles and I will name games with the top battle on the list.

You can watch the status of the game here.

Alpha Zeke, it is your turn now as Britain.

Also, I've done a significant update today.

Instead of just getting troops now, you get both money and manpower. You don't get quite as much manpower as money, and your manpower has a maximum limit (based on how much land you own) so you can't save up a ton. When you recruit troops, you spend 1 manpower and 1 money. Everything else only costs money. Forts are more expensive now as well. You can also give money to other players -- this will make diplomacy a little more interesting. For instance you could pay someone to not attack you, or whatever else you can think of.

As usual old savegames will still work with the update.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 12, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Who plays Russia now?
    Tired of annoying filehosters and corrupted downloads when grabbing DMUC?
    Check out my easy and fast torrents HERE!
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

Tiberius.

Retired moderator of TWC

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

Uh, could you provide the players forum names or something? Because I can't find no Tiberius on here. Better said: I can find one, but his last activity was in 2006...same issue with some of the other players.

Would be nice to have a way of contacting them .
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

Albath's Avatar Civis

It seems to be a very well made game from my initial playtests. I can just imagine the versatility of this for users to easily mod in entire continents and period of history simultaneously.

How do/did you code for this game? And how easy would it be for a player to improve the game to their liking?
    Last edited by Albath; September 13, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I am downloading this right now!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
    Uh, could you provide the players forum names or something? Because I can't find no Tiberius on here. Better said: I can find one, but his last activity was in 2006...same issue with some of the other players.

Would be nice to have a way of contacting them .
    Tiberius, AlaskanAvenger and Pedroskivich are people I know from the Hawks forum. We communicate on MSN messenger. You can send them messages in game (click your "messages from other players"). For direct communication unless they come over here (which I would like), you'd have to get on MSN with us.

It seems to be a very well made game from my initial playtests. I can just imagine the versatility of this for users to easily mod in entire continents and period of history simultaneously.
    Yes. I only spent three or four hours making the europe map, factions and scenarios I have. I still have to post the Gimp scripts I wrote to take care of a lot of the brute force work. I'll want to make another smaller map first to be sure the scripts are good the way they are first.

How do you code this game? And how easy would it be for a player to improve the game to their liking?
    There's a lot in the data files that can be changed, and everything about the maps, scenarios, graphics and most of the text can be changed, all this outside the game. Everything is in csv files and I included the excel spreadsheet that I use to create the CSVs. If you do this I recommend you copy the Main module and paste it as a new module, edit module.txt to use your mod.

No one has started modding it yet and that may be a good thing because it's not "finished" yet if you know what I mean. I may still change core gameplay elements like I did yesterday, and mods would have trouble keeping up. (I make updates frequently, multiple times a day if I am working on it).

I intend to add python scripting and move some of the gameplay out of the code itself into python scripts, allowing each map or scenario to make its own gameplay additions as well. But not yet, I want to get a better idea of the desired gameplay before doing that.

Retired moderator of TWC

Setup.exe 677293881 1015840933

Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    13/9/2010 7:03:29

I sent it as well.
    Last edited by Hobbes; September 13, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Senshi, you're up in Rivoli

@Helvetica

The error you're getting is while loading the .NET Framework, it could not find the assembly 'System.Core' which is necessary.

Something is wrong with your .NET installation, this is not a problem with the game. I'm not sure what you should do. You could try reinstalling .NET framework, or reinstalling windows, or play the game on another computer.

Retired moderator of TWC

Game crashed during ending my turn. Sending savegame was completed, but when the "Sending E-Mail notification to GB" message came up, the game crashed to desktop with the windows-style "no longer working" error message.

Sorry for me being late on the move, but the new experimental spam filter decided that just this one was a false positive .

Albath's Avatar Civis

Did some AI playtesting and I got these results.

Mameluke Empire : 3 victories
    Ottoman Empire : 3 victories
    Spain : 2 victories
    Portugal : 1 victory
    Austria : 1 victory
    France : 2 victories
    England : 1 victory

Seems to be fairly random and well-rooted. I'll do some more testing later and see what I can do about editing some files.

Edit: If I were to add music, would it require me to change the .mp3 to .wav? And what am I supposed to add in the sounds.csv(I would presume BeginTurn=music.mp3, although that might just spit out a second or two of music and it would sound really jarring)?
    Last edited by Albath; September 14, 2010 at 07:16 AM.
    Unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem, decem! - Proof that I can count from 1-10 in Latin.

It's working!

Senshi, it appears your computer decided to save decimal numbers with a comma instead of a dot, and since the savegame is delimited by commas, it messed it up quite a bit.

I've fixed the savegame so the next player (Alpha Zeke) can go.

I think I fixed the game as well so it will save numbers the same way always, if you could try starting an online game and name it something obvious like 'senshi' I will look at it and make sure it's fixed, before you do your turn in the real game.

Also note that when the savegame gets messed up it's not the end of the world, even if I couldn't clean it myself every player gets two copies of it on their computer when they end their turn, and it backs these up for 5 turns. So we'd always be able to find a working copy. The files are tiny (5-7kb) so don't worry about space.

Edit: If I were to add music, would it require me to change the .mp3 to .wav? And what am I supposed to add in the sounds.csv(I would presume BeginTurn=music.mp3, although that might just spit out a second or two of music and it would sound really jarring)?
    The way the sounds work now, it plays a max of two of the same file at once. When one sound is playing, and it is asked to play again, the one that's playing is made quieter, and the new one starts up. If there already was an older quieted one playing, it is stopped.

For music, I'd probably want to add some music playing system, we wouldn't want it to work the same way as the sounds. Btw if anyone has public domain sound files that might fit with this game in any spot, let me know. The two sound files I have are terrible, I just put them there for placeholders. I'm no sound engineer.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 14, 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Perhaps my computer decided to use decimals because it's German Windows? German standard on numbers is to use commas for decimals and dots only for 1.000 - delimiters. And Windows respects that.

Your fix led to the game simply crashing as soon as I start a campaign. Be it off- or online. I can set up the scenario, and when I hit the final launch key, I can briefly see the map displayed, but simultaneously the game locks up and I get the windows-"doesn't work anymore"-message.

I did introduce another bug with that update which is what you just mentioned. I've fixed that now I think, try again.

Retired moderator of TWC

Done and done. Game name is senshi.

Thanks for testing, it did work.

Retired moderator of TWC

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast