Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Faction Re-textures by Massive_attack (not compatible with V4)

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Faction Re-textures by Massive_attack

Like designing all-new shiny armor?

Anyway,it's your choice,I'll just keep the black armors

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

The gold ones wouldnt replace the black armors. They would be used in conjunction with the previous ones.

You would still have the black iron stormtroopers and cuirassers and forlorn hope, etc etc etc, BUT... your kaisers bodyguards would be shining gold, as would your kaisers lancers, and your kaiser's pikemen, and thus they would stand out (as they should considering there elite status) in your armies and serve as a shining example of the reich's power... or something. I dunno, i kind of made the texture for fun since work on the tahar is... kind of boring. Not alot you can do with them really

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

The effect looks bronze or rusted (in the screenie at least) like the privateers skins. To my eye if doent look like an upgrade of your previous faust skins, I thought you had a gold look in mind.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

Citizen

I did, most of that is gold, but the normal map/gloss doesnt show it well. There are some bronze-like details, but ah well.. twas just an idea, and something i did for fun. Maybe someday ill release some kind of grand bonus pack with all the bits and bobs ive retextured thus far, probably not. -edit, because half of them wouldnt get accepted if i submitted them

It could just be me then, Im using a really poor stand in video card at the moment.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Citizen

That was mainly a proof of concept piece anyway, i could always change little things like metal tones later.

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

i like the way they look, fitting for the elite of the most powerful empire in the world, i would make them more shiny tough. great work as always Massive.

Citizen

Okay, I want to see what you guys think of the Tahar caliphate. Ive been working alot on their "tribal" units, and the AOR tribals near them, but im unsure how they look now and Id like some feedback. Red and black showed up alot more than originally thought, but I kind of like it. Its only in the Sahar troops anyway.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sahar spears/sahar boys, and some others:

NO UPGRADE-Core troops.

WITH UPGRADE, CORE TROOPS.

These seem the most complete overall imho. They will likely make it in barring some kind of major bit of lore i forgot.

Tushkans, upgraded and unupgraded (i tried to make them look unique from the sahar forces)

Tushkan forces, no upgrade

Tushkans, with upgrade:

Its hard because i know that these troops right here make up the core of the roster. I considered doing individual textures for each unit, but that would take time i do not have Im afraid.

Theres also another texture for the javilineers that is used by some sahar AND tushkan troops, but it looks bad due to a few glaring issues i need to sort out so i wont show it. TAHAR PLAYERS, does this look like an improvement/acceptable to you ? I need feedback before i move on to the rest of the roster, this is there most important troops, and if i fudge them up I will be shamed greatly !

I love the colours, very nice. My only concern would be the ability to tell Tuskan from Sahar on the battlefield. Is it possible that the Sahar say use two differnt head scarf colours (on base and upgrade) and the Tuhkan use two different colurs for the headscarves (again same on base and upg)

Your colourings are a massive (forgive the pun) improvment on the vanilla skins

Citizen

The sahar have white, black and red headwraps, the tushkan have white black and.. blackish... brown.. totally different...

I think im seeing your point here :\ Ill see what i can do.

Edit: The changes will be to the Tushkan (Tuskan ? I honestly have no idea how to spell this ) troops, ill probably go with light and bright colours to contrast the rather darker hues the Sahar get.

Also, i doubt anybody will really notice, but i was influenced in a big way by the LOTR movies, and how they portrayed those great "Haradrim" troops. Of course since the Tahar are neither evil, nor really suited to looking exactly like these guys, i only used a few influences from them (how they used black and red for example) when i was making the troops.
    -Edit, besides, they already got an awesome mod, two would be unfair

-Edit 2: Updated Tushkans, this time with more colours

No upgrades:

Upgrades:

In Battle...

At a glance, you can differentiate Sahar and Tushkan forces, even if you can only just take a quick headcount. I love how purple looks on them

Man, i love using the chevaliers as punching bag for retextured stuff
    Last edited by Massive_attack; September 21, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

nice and colourful, i never really liked the old "orange tide" the Tahar represented. i would rep you if i could Massive, but i need to spread it first.
    Last edited by Yuko; September 22, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Citizen

Its a goal of mine to purge all orange from the core troops. The Tushkan still got some though, but it works because there so vibrant.

The black and red theme will continue with the faction, with elites having more of that red (more professional).

Maybe it's just me,but in the last screens you posted some scarves have a very purplish appearance...that brings me back to vanilla R:TW,and that's a no-no for me,I'm afraid. I actually preferred the first version of the upgraded Tushkans.

Beside that,great work,the white-scarved Tushkan look great,as do the red-scarved upgraded Tahar. Personally I'd keep the orange on the Tahar troops and the Tushkan more brownish,but it's your work,I'll stick with what you have in mind.

MA, great work, but tbh the purplish does not suit my tastes...

Citizen

Can be changed my friends, can be changed. What colour would you prefer instead ?

Light blue doesnt look quite right Ive found. Red and black are out since it would look too similar to the Sahar peoples. Bright colours would be best.
    Last edited by Massive_attack; September 22, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

i like the purple...

Without overrating this: I'd say desert people would color their scarves in less bright tones; and judging from our world purple is an especially tough to produce color.

Quote Originally Posted by toluas View Post
    Without overrating this: I'd say desert people would color their scarves in less bright tones; and judging from our world purple is an especially tough to produce color.
    Also the bleaching effect from being in a bright desert sun would leave colours somewhat faded, I dont know though, I must admit Im not sure how to improve these skins.
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 22, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Maybe give them a little more rugged, worn, and weathered look. If need be, just keep them like they are, but make the scarves and turbans look of lesser quality. I would say that since purple dye was very expensive in Ancient-Classical times that the militia wouldn't be wearing such colors, but this is Thera, not Earth, so anything could happen. I'd just like to see the lower-tier units have rugged/worn down clothes and the elite having nicer, more colorful (but not brightly colored) wardrobe.

Don't get me wrong,the robes look fine,as they have a lighter shade of purple,it's the scarves that really stand out as almost cartoonish. As for other colors...have you tried with dark blue,or a darker shade of purple?What about some brown?Or some light shade of orange...

I understand you want to get rid of them,but they would look fine I suppose,and there MUST be some orange around anyway...just imagine the Faust without black.