Thread: 6.2 RR/RC vs. 6.3

Default 6.2 RR/RC vs. 6.3

I have both mods installed on my computer and im considering starting a new campaign and just wanted ur suggestions on which one i should play. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Seeker
    Last edited by SeekerAfterTruth; August 27, 2010 at 05:07 AM.

Proudly Editing Borissomeone's Fan Fiction (here)

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: 6.2 RR/RC vs. 6.3

6.3 with RR/RC. RC is included and RR should best be left turned on. So many things better with 6.3, I can't say it.

Except that I liked some of the artwork from RR/RC for 6.2 more, and that the diplomats for like Italian factions went back to default :/

romy's Avatar Semisalis

6.2 RR/RC (latest update) , definitely.
    SS 6.3 is really nice but I way prefer 6.2 RR/RC , though 6.3 with RR/RC.
    Why?Because the version of RR/RC in 6.3 is an old one (October's update , I believe) and IMO , SS 6.2 RR/RC (August update) is more colmplete and have more "fun" playing it.
    One thing that I hate in SS 6.3 , which is from the RR/RC October's update , is those ugly Urban Spear Militia (Grey shields for every faction).In SS 6.2 RR/RC (Aug.) , they're way better , IMO.

+ some other things , like the Sicilians in the late campaign , should be replaced by the HRE , etc. :-)
    R.I.P. Calvin

thanks for the opinions guys, bit of a shame u both went different ways so im still not sure, ill wait for some more people to reply before deciding

Proudly Editing Borissomeone's Fan Fiction (here)

romy's Avatar Semisalis

If you can't decide , you can always install the 2 versions and judge by yourself! :-)
    R.I.P. Calvin

how do you install them both at the same time? can you install them both to the same location/folder or do you have to create a new one or something?

Lemming69's Avatar Semisalis

ive got both installed. right now im playing 6.3 because of one or two new submods which have recently come out- meneths submods for 6.3. but overall at this moment in time the latest rr/rc is the most complete of the two in my opinion- unit skins/ general interface etc are more completed and theres one or two things such as the new peasant models which are present in rr/rc and not in 6.3 (unless i have a bad install of 6.3 or something). but once 6.3 has cedrics interfaces, and especially after rozanovs 6.3 mod, it wil probably be superior.... you cant go wrong with either of the mods at this moment though- theyre both very good

i just copied the medieval 2 folder to desktop and then installed it in there
    Last edited by Lemming69; August 27, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

thanks for the suggestion...will try it out, after i copy the medieval 2 folder, can i just install 6.3 over the 6.2 I have in there or do I have to remove it first?

+ rep thanks for the help

romy's Avatar Semisalis

You don't have to make 2 Med folders! :-)

Just install twice SS 6.0 + SS 6.1 (RR/RC and Byg uniticked!). :-)
    R.I.P. Calvin

JaggerMech's Avatar Foederatus

No need to copy medieval II main folder, just copied subfolder mods\Stainless_Steel. Then make it different name.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerMech View Post
    No need to copy medieval II main folder, just copied subfolder mods\Stainless_Steel. Then make it different name.
    No need to copy anything unless you want to install say 6.1 or 6.2 alongside RR/RC compilation.
    6.3 already installs into a different subfolder then 6.x or RR/RC compilation.

After another month or so I'd like to know where everybody stands on this issue now. 6.1 with RR/RC compilation or 6.3 with the fixes that have been released/other sub-mods?

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

6.2 RR/RC have a more stuff included, but 6.3 generally runs a bit smoother and obviously most new submods are based on 6.3, it would be nice if we can combine the best of both world
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

I'd go for 6.3, but then I never played RR/RC.
    Plus, all my sub-mods are for 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    I'd go for 6.3, but then I never played RR/RC.
    Plus, all my sub-mods are for 6.3
    Doesn't 6.3 have the older version of RR/RC? If so, then you have played RR/RC...

As for myself, I won't even touch 6.3 until the latest RR/RC is integrated into it. Over the past year PB made some major changes with the combat system and overall simply continues to provide the most streamlined and competent submod for SS. I've heard lots of good things about 6.3, but quite frankly PB's 6.2 RR/RC offers excellent campaign ai, the latest in his own combat changes, and overall satisfactory and stable gameplay.

6.3 looks like it has a lot of goodies, but no submod has as much refinement as those made by PB.
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Doesn't 6.3 have the older version of RR/RC? If so, then you have played RR/RC...
    What I mean is that I never played the RR/RC Compilation. Most of it's features (from an older version, though) are in 6.3, but not quite all AFAIK.
    stable gameplay.
    6.3 is pretty stable now, as my Fixes Collection has eliminated several causes of CTDs. I've only had 6.3 crash on me a couple of times, not counting crashes at the end of battles, as those disappeared after I got myself a new GPU.

6.2 compilation has 1450 campaign. Incase you intrested in late medieval warfare. See that as biggest pro of it currently.

As im big fan of 6.2 RR/RC ill add my few cents.

First of all 6.2 seemed more developed - 1450 campaign, HRE in late owning Sicily, slightly improved roster (French Archers for France etc.)

This is short list of pros, now cons:

1) 1450 campaign is hardly as good as 1220 or 1100 (not many ppl playing it so it got some mistakes). Anyway i used it later just to see what will i be able to recruit in that period for some faction

2) annoying roads development block (can be modded though) - kinda stupid seeing Cologne being Large Town and not being able to build Paved Roads (not mantioning highways as Byzies)

3) same restriction for town sizes (some would never be upgraded to huge cities)

As for 6.3:

Pros:

1) getting more and more mods - easy to fit to your needs

2) no restrictions to buildings (roads), city sizes

3) good development of AI factions - making bigger and bigger castles and cities

4) strong AI armies

5) more challenging rebels

Cons:

1) No 1450 campaign

2) reduced roster comparing to 6.2 RR/RC

To sum up i suggest 6.3 - its growing fast and as you see 6.2 RR/RC has actually stopped. Few things work a bit different but if someone didn't play both wont actually feel it. And it is so much fun to play SS

Ideally I'd like to move this compilation towards a final merge with 6.3, especially given that 6.3 is using a version of RR/RC that is over a year old. Gracul has done a huge amount of great and valuable work which I can't hope to emulate, but 6.3 RR/RC is also a bit outdated, so if we can find some way to integrate them that is the best IMHO