Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Eagles Fly - the 1796 IH

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Where Eagles Fly - the 1796 IH

LOL.
    But, I personally think that "Militarist" sounds more politician-ish, so I will keep the name. Unless Barry says otherwise, that is.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Agammemnon View Post
    Name: Militarist Party
    Leader: Appointed by current leader (currently: Connor Mac Athol)
    Official colors: Green and Brown
    Ideology: white supremacy but black freedom, large federal army, protectionism, all men part of militia
    Biography: This is not a real party! I just made this up, and I will make up a history if Barry says it is okay!
    OOC: Barry, can I make this up? I know that you want history, but all the people whose char.s believe in this will just be independents, and it is based on a real group: the warhawks.
    It'd be fine, though personally I'd rather have something along the lines of the real Federalist Party (protectionist, pro-Bank, pro-federal gov't, non-interventionist/pro-Britain - some combination of those) since we already have the rural Democratic-Republicans (as Whigs) and the Southern gentry (as MMM's NAP) covered.

Also, Militarist Party doesn't sound too appealing to anyone but, well, the military. I'd recommend something like the 'Nationalist Party', the 'True American/Whatever Party' or (if you're going for a highly aggressive, expansionist party) 'Continentalist Party'. Of course, it's your party and your call - just throwing suggestions out here

Also, I'm thinking of scrapping the 8 player limit and just starting Friday or Sunday, since we haven't got any new players yet and I want to get this thing off the ground before it dies.

Alright. It will be made into the Nationalist party (one of my original ideas for a name, in fact).

@Agamemnon actually, upon closer inspection & further research, the party doesn't seem to be such a good idea. Your platform would alienate practically everyone; abolition is obviously going to be hugely unpopular down south, a large federal army would be seen as federal encroachment and so breed opposition everywhere outside of New England, protectionism is also unpopular with nearly everyone besides New England's merchants - South Carolina almost seceded over an increase in tariffs in reality - and national conscription at this point in time (that's what I guess forcing everyone to be part of a national militia would be) is universally opposed.

It doesn't help that the other parties will also sharply cut into your already limited support base (the Whigs pretty much everywhere & NAP in the south) and that your supporters in New England aren't nearly numerous enough to give you a shot at being anything besides a kingmaker figure in hotly contested elections.

Also, @MMM the protectionist platform you've got going in the NAP would be unpopular in the South at this time, as I've pointed out they were all for free trade (which would encourage foreigners to buy more of their cotton) and nearly seceded over a spike in tariffs.

Lastly - national stats for 1796 US up
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; August 30, 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Name: Nestor Weatherby
    Party: Independent
    Office: Representative
    Date of Birth: August 1st, 1761
    Marital Status: Single
    Children: None
    Ethnicity: English descent
    Home State: Connecticut
    Religious Views: Catholic

Biography: Nestor Weatherby's mother died in childbirth, leaving his father, a whaler, to care for him alone. With a child at home, and no money to hire a nurse, Nestor's father decided to reestablish himself as a homestead farmer on the frontier. He was joined by his brother, a fellow whaler (they left a sister behind). Together, they experienced the usual hardships that come with frontier life - hard winters, poor harvests - but successfully planted themselves.

When he was a young boy, Nestor's father purchased a slave of similar age named Ezra from a passing trader - the boy was as much to help with farm work as he was to be Nestor's comrade (there were few friends to be had on the frontier, and his father didn't want Nestor to grow up alone and friendless). Nestor and Ezra became fast friends (perhaps out of necessity), and have become inseparable since. Ezra was freed at age 17, but elected to stay on with the Weatherbys as a member of the family.

Nestor's time in what would become the Connecticut Western Reserve gave him an appreciation of the untapped resources of the west - and he hasn't since forgotten it. While his friendship with Ezra did not affect his belief that slavery is an inevitable byproduct of the American way of life, it has shown him that slave rights need to be upheld.

Upon reaching manhood, Nestor left the frontier to return to Connecticut with Ezra to live with his aunt and find work in Hartford. After long years of work and study, he became a physician, and Ezra his assistant. One shock to his system was the new need to pay taxes regularly - in the west, it was easy for his family to avoid paying duties to anyone.

Nestor founded popularity in his new residence, and through a series of chance encounters, found himself propelled into the public eye, and was quickly elected to the US House of Representatives.

ISSUES

Taxation - In general, opposed. Nestor believes that a man should keep the money he earns. That being said, he supports "appropriate" taxes, especially when they fund projects and development that he supports (such as western expansion).
    Military - Nestor supports a standing army, as he believes it is the key to the pacification and security of the Northwest Territory.
    The Economy & Trade - In general, protectionism and expansion of industrial capacity.
    Foreign Policy - Keep our hands clean. Any involvement in Europe will earn us as many enemies as it does friends.
    Immigration - Welcome all immigrants, so long as they pass rigorous health and wellness testing.
    National Bank - In general, supports. Nestor is exploring possibilities for reform, but overall the Bank supports his industrial constituents.
    Slavery - Nestor sees no need to end slavery. However, he feels that crimes committed against slaves should be prosecuted and punished in the exact same manner as the same crime committed against a freeman of any color.
    Last edited by Kip; September 03, 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

We outta spread the word for this IH, we should make sigs for it...

I'd be happy to see what I can do with this pic
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Ah, will change.

Personally, we need a couple more pro-slavery persons here. Currently, it's only me and Kippy, and he's independent.
    Last edited by Watercress; August 30, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    Barry, before I go any deeper into the biography, would a person who lived (or at least was born in) the Connecticut Western Reserve be able to serve in Congress as a representative from Connecticut? Depending on the answer, the bio will be one of three things: Born/grew up in CWR, Born in CWR but moved to Connecticut to become a physician there, or just born in Connecticut.
    Afraid not, as the area was sparsely populated and someone starting out there will have a hard time reaching out to the people in Connecticut proper. Sorry

Also, if you're going to start a party, please make a party thread in the Diplo subforum instead of posting it here, so I won't have to read through the pages to get at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred II
    We outta spread the word for this IH, we should make sigs for it...

I'd be happy to see what I can do with this pic
    That'd be greatly appreciated

EDIT: @Kip On second thought, the area hasn't become part of the Northwest Territory yet, so nevermind - I'll allow it.

Also, regarding the National Bank - put simply, it was appreciated by the merchants and industrialists of New England and helped control the nation's economy, but opposed by Southerners who feared further taxes and were suspicious of Northern motives behind the Bank. The Bank's charter was not renewed in 1811, leading to the US suffering from inflation and having problems with funding its war effort in the War of 1812; the Second Bank, founded in 1816, was pretty much a carbon copy of the First Bank and met the same fate, and its end also led to a financial disaster (the Panic of 1837).

Since your character is from New England but lives out in the sparsely populated West, he can go either way regarding the Bank
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; August 30, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

I'll hybridize it

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    Ah, will change.

Personally, we need a couple more pro-slavery persons here. Currently, it's only me and Kippy, and he's independent.
    I'm pro-slavery, but I agree, there are far too many abolitionist "every man is equal" people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Here you go Barry
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

That's a nice temporary one. I'll have one up tonight.

Alright, Barry, I'll ditch the party and become independent. I won't make a thread for it in the diplo. forum, so the 3rd (hopefully federalist) party slot will remain open. Sorry to waste your time.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Im neutral regarding the whole negro thing...

Lets start this naaaaaao.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

I'd say we wait a little longer. What good is a congress of six people?
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Argh, I'm away from my computer that has photoshop so I can't make a sig.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Henry Kaufmann

MuttonChops's Avatar Praepositus

Am I gonna have to join this one too?

Seriously you guys, if none of you want to be the token racist white supremacist fat guy, then I'll do it....I'm fully qualified! I'm Asian after all ok!

MMM already is, but we could use more players!