Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Religion and Short Skirts

Default Religion and Short Skirts

Well, this is mostly aim at the Religious people in the forums.

What do you think about the fashion of using short skirts? Is such fashion immoral for you religious people?

I would imagine that in Christianity wearing short skirts would be a sin, since one would be tempting other people in having immoral thoughts, or in commiting sins...
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

It's just a skirt that shows their legs. Oh my god, legs! Are we going to go back to the Victorian ideas about legs? Symbols which must be covered in heavy embroidery? Victorians even covered table legs so people wouldn't think unclean thoughts.

Sex is too much a part of culture to try to cover it up. Sure, don't dress like sluts, but if the very sight of a short skirt sends you into maddening lust and you have to pray for three hours to "cleanse" yourself, you should rethink your position.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Immoral, no. In some circumstances, very pleasant. Everyday, all the same, it can become boring.

solid's Avatar Civitate

Well I thought Eve was naked, so in Christianity short skirts shouldn't be really immoral.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Well I thought Eve was naked, so in Christianity short skirts shouldn't be really immoral.
    Not really :

Quote Originally Posted by N.I.V.
    6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

I always get a kick out of people who think it's so terrible that women wear revealing clothes, but then turn around and blast the Middle East for covering up their women in burkhas. Do they not even realize that they're just pushing a less extreme version of the same mentality?

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

BMV's Avatar Civis

what is Christianity so special i'm christian but i dont know how it could efect my mind about enything so why is it so special not to believe at enything...
    o and just wonder why girls always says that its so cold everywhere and when you tell them to dressup (sp???dk...) they get madd at you , girls...

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Most of the people here are what I call Sunday Morning Christians. There are two types of Sunday Morning Christians:

1. Those that go to church on Sunday to look good socially, but aren't Christian at any other time, and don't even really believe in Jesus or God.

2. Those that preach Fire and Brimstone and are self-righteous and always say people are going to Hell. If you ever read Grapes of Wrath, Miss Sandry is an example. Those people use Christianity to make themselves look better than anyone else.

Note: I personally don't think it is wrong if the girl looks good doing it. I am in favor in laws regulating bikini wearing. (Just kidding about that.)
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    It's just a skirt that shows their legs. Oh my god, legs! Are we going to go back to the Victorian ideas about legs? Symbols which must be covered in heavy embroidery? Victorians even covered table legs so people wouldn't think unclean thoughts.
    Its not the fact that they are wearing skirts. Its the why they are wearing the short skirt.

Sex is too much a part of culture to try to cover it up. Sure, don't dress like sluts, but if the very sight of a short skirt sends you into maddening lust and you have to pray for three hours to "cleanse" yourself, you should rethink your position.
    Its a matter of trying to improve one's spirituality. And sex is not bad, but vulgar sex is something else...

Something to think about; You have a daughter, and she is about sixteen year old, would you want her wearing a short skirt? And, more importantly, what would be the effects of wearing a short skirt, for your daughter? Not only subtle effects, but profound effects in the human psyche, or, rather said, her mind...

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    Its not the fact that they are wearing skirts. Its the why they are wearing the short skirt.
    To show off, obviously. What's wrong with that? Do you feel the same way about men who wear expensive suits?
    Its a matter of trying to improve one's spirituality. And sex is not bad, but vulgar sex is something else...
    Vulgar sex is the best kind, my friend. I've been married since 1992, and my wife and I have much more vulgar sex today than we had ten years ago, now that we're so comfortable with each other.
    Something to think about; You have a daughter, and she is about sixteen year old, would you want her wearing a short skirt? And, more importantly, what would be the effects of wearing a short skirt, for your daughter? Not only subtle effects, but profound effects in the human psyche, or, rather said, her mind...
    There was a time that people said this about girls wearing skirts that went down to the knee instead of the ankle.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

If my daughter was sixteen years old I would let her wear whatever the hell she wants (to a point - no little strips of leather over her nipples, for instance). It's not going to have a "profound effect" on her psyche. If I wore different clothing it wouldn't change who I was, so why worry?

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bavarian Noble
    Not really :
    God got ****** because she was wearing clothes; he made them naked, so surely that's the natural state?

Prince Kassad

They're only bad if they produce sinful thoughts. For instance, a girl walking around naked would certainly cause sinful thoughts.

Its based on the cultural perceptions surrounding whether or not exposing certain areas of skin is provocative. For example, in Victorian society baring the legs would inevitably cause lust. But now, seeing a girl's kneecaps rarely causes lust in men. But a ridiculously short miniskirt would be provocative. So I would have to say yes, it is sinful.

Patrician

Its sinful because it causes sinful thoughts? but thoughts themselves are not sinful or we're all going to hell, thanks to the impossibility of stoppng a thought appearing.

depends on who you ask. The tradition Christan line is that thoughts are sins, which is why you can not live a sin free life and believe in god to get rid of it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth
    To show off, obviously. What's wrong with that? Do you feel the same way about men who wear expensive suits?
    Actually, yeah. Its vanity. And if I am Christian, a true Christian, not a Sunday Christian, then, surely, I would be worry about my daughter wearing a short skirt. Although, I don't see nothing wrong with it, when she is in private with her partner. But in public it is a different story.

How could I be a good Christian if I wear mini skirts in public?

There was a time that people said this about girls wearing skirts that went down to the knee instead of the ankle.
    Where do we draw the line?

Vulgar sex is the best kind, my friend. I've been married since 1992, and my wife and I have much more vulgar sex today than we had ten years ago, now that we're so comfortable with each other.
    Which makes me wonder; For a Christian, would it be right for me to make such sexual actions as making my wife eat my sperm, or, such things?

If my daughter was sixteen years old I would let her wear whatever the hell she wants (to a point - no little strips of leather over her nipples, for instance). It's not going to have a "profound effect" on her psyche. If I wore different clothing it wouldn't change who I was, so why worry?
    I think it does have effects. Not only subconciously, but also obvious, like the kind of attention she would get and the kind of boys she'll attract.

Its sinful because it causes sinful thoughts? but thoughts themselves are not sinful or we're all going to hell, thanks to the impossibility of stoppng a thought appearing.
    It is a matter of reaching a higher espirituality, and seeing a girl wearing a short skirt, or, wearing a short skirt isn't gonna help the cause.

Kurt Vonnegut

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

God got ****** because she was wearing clothes;
    ?

Can you provide scriptural evidence to back that up ?

he made them naked, so surely that's the natural state?
    The natural state before sin, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bavarian Noble
    ?

Can you provide scriptural evidence to back that up ?
    It is an obvious oversimplification and misunderstanding of that passage of Genesis. God sees that Adam and Eve are wearing clothes; he never introduced shame into their minds, which is the only reason they have to wear clothes in the supposed perfect environment of Eden, thus he realizes they have eaten of the forbidden fruit, and gets ******. It isn't because they're wearing clothes.

Patrician

Its not misunderstanding, just oversimplification... but the wearing of clothes is how he discovers they've eaten the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (so many ofs...)

JtheI: So if its a matter of us reaching higher spirituality, how can we enforce that on a girl? Surely that's somewhat immoral? And what's your opinion on the hijab then?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakus Maximus
    Its not misunderstanding, just oversimplification... but the wearing of clothes is how he discovers they've eaten the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (so many ofs...)
    Congratulations, you've just refuted your own argument.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast