Thread: mortors underpowered

Default mortors underpowered

Anyone else finding mortors slightly underowered vs troops or are they menat for walls only, this is especially true for thoose kislev unique mortors dont really do much more than regular and i pretty sure they alot more expensive.

Default Re: mortors underpowered

How Je be doing Mon? Me Mortors be good! I be shootin at dat trup.

Gondoriangrunt's Avatar Civis

yes mortar are quite weak against troops but that might change with the new patch (at least one can hope )
    There are 3 things that make the Empire great: ridiculous large fluffy facial hair, Flashy 80's uniforms and Lunatics with a goverment licenses

Magnus the choirboy ()

Well not really , mortars are amazing versus ranged troops, in situation such as skirmish battles, for example ageinst sylvania, couple of times met army with round 6-8 troops of undead archers, whyle my crossbowmen were holding them off, 2 units of mortars gave them real hell. As well usefull to "nuke" enemy general.

Gondoriangrunt's Avatar Civis

yeah but against orcs and chaos they are quite useless
    There are 3 things that make the Empire great: ridiculous large fluffy facial hair, Flashy 80's uniforms and Lunatics with a goverment licenses

Magnus the choirboy ()

export_descr_unit , find mortars, damadge , 999 . NOW WERE TALKING!
    Last edited by c.ryo; August 26, 2010 at 07:48 AM.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Siege weapons also brake morale pretty well.. Mortars can shoot over walls/on top of walls, which is great feature, and they are good for "sniping" enemy catapults, and other siege weapons.

Siege weapons also brake morale pretty well.. Mortars can shoot over walls/on top of walls, which is great feature, and they are good for "sniping" enemy catapults, and other siege weapons.
    Good point.

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    export_descr_unit , find mortars, damadge , 999 . NOW WERE TALKING!
    Can I ignore export_descr_unit(2), export_descr_unit33 and export_descr_unit888?

They all seem to contain same line of stuff in them.

when i play dwarves i always take 3 units of mortars, 2 units of organ guns and 4 units of quarellers

come on with your 12 archer skeleton regiments baby!

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade

Werebear's Avatar For Mother Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Gaizokubanou View Post
    Can I ignore export_descr_unit(2), export_descr_unit33 and export_descr_unit888?
    it is just garbage

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Mortars has good range and don't require line of view to fire at targets. In some map cannons are hard to use effectively because of that, mortars doesn't have this kind of problems.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

this is why i ll always choose mortars over cannons, ALWAYS.

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade

It's mordor with a "d".

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

Quote Originally Posted by TWmadman View Post
    this is why i ll always choose mortars over cannons, ALWAYS.
    I tried doing this but ran into few problems since mortars have lower ammo and weaker shots than cannons, and there are some terrains where cannons are easy enough to use.

I think the two are well balanced this way, mortars are much easier to use (absolutely no terrain restriction, can hide behind infantry line for protection) but cannons, if they can be used, offer more firepower.

Yes, it's a manner of probabilities. While we can't know if we will always encounter the "right" terrain, i suggest to bring at least 1 mortar and 1 cannon togather with your "siege army".

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    Yes, it's a manner of probabilities. While we can't know if we will always encounter the "right" terrain, i suggest to bring at least 1 mortar and 1 cannon togather with your "siege army".
    I also like to have mortars in my armies, they are just so flexible in battle. One more thing they are good also, is siege defending. Other siege equipment are pretty clumsy to use in narrow settlements, but mortars can shoot anything, from anywhere. For example they can also bring down enemy siegetowers, which is every time as satisfying

Oh well, placing a cannon (maybe a multi-barreled one like the Organ Gun or the Hellblaster!) in front of a gate that will be used by the enemy is something awesome to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    Oh well, placing a cannon (maybe a multi-barreled one like the Organ Gun or the Hellblaster!) in front of a gate that will be used by the enemy is something awesome to see.
    Yeah burn baby, burn! It works pretty damn well in most times, when there is room for straight line. Never had a change to try it with Organ gun or Hellblaster tought.. That one I have to try

FakeTwin's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Yeah burn baby, burn! It works pretty damn well in most times, when there is room for straight line. Never had a change to try it with Organ gun or Hellblaster tought.. That one I have to try
    It's totally worth it, believe me. It did this once:

After conquering Marienburg in my first Reikland-campaign (which was, by the way, also the first campaign I played with this mod) I pulled nearly all of my troops out of the city and sent them back to Altdorf for retraining. Guess what happened the next turn: The dark elves attacked the city!
    The few troops left in Marienburg (a few units of halberdiers and also 2 units of Hellblaster Volley Guns) were outnumbered like 6:1 (don't really remember, but approximately). I placed one unit of halberdiers in defensive mode to protect the gate and placed one Volley Gun to the right, one to the left and set them to grapeshot mode. After the first unit of dark elves broke through the gate it was almost completely destroyed in a matter of seconds, routing the survivors!
    Well, ultimately I lost the battle, but only after my guns had massacred nearly half of the enemies' army. So retaking the city was a piece of cake.

But back to the topic: I don't think mortars are underpowered. But I think it would be cool if the different pieces of artillery were even more unique, like the mortar only firing explosive shells (instead of solid shells), Great Cannons only firing solid shells (NO grapeshot and NO explosive shells), and Hellblaster Volley Guns firing both grapeshot and solid shells (I think that's what they do allready, if my memory serves me right). Firstly this would force players of Empire factions to select the buildup of their armies more carefully BEFORE a battle, and secondly it would require more tactical planning DURING a battle.

What do you guys think about this?
    Last edited by FakeTwin; August 26, 2010 at 04:52 PM.