Thread: How should an asymmetry in the burden of proof be defined?

Strelok's Avatar Civitate

Default How should an asymmetry in the burden of proof be defined?

Burden of Proof Scale [0-6 ; higher = more burden]

0 - I do not know if God exists or not
    1 - It is likely that God does not exist
    2 - God does not exist
    3 - It is likely that God exists
    4 - God exists
    5 - God cannot exist
    6 - God can't not exist

--Why does asserting "God exists" or "God likely exists" carry more burden?

This is because the opposite is a negative which bears less of a negative by it's nature. Asking for proof of a negative would be a logical fallacy - unless the 'positive' assertion has already been established in a scientific consensus.

--What is the burden of proof?

The burden of proofi s a concept of an obligation on a party to provide sufficient establishment for their position. All parties bear some level of the burden of proof (except for the most neutral stance possible) but there is a definable asymmetry.

------------------------------

That is how I view it. What do you think?

Default Re: How should an asymmetry in the burden of proof be defined?

Quote Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
    This is because the opposite is a negative which bears less of a negative by it's nature. Asking for proof of a negative would be a logical fallacy - unless the 'positive' assertion has already been established in a scientific consensus.
    I like very much this one. It's elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
    The burden of proof is a concept of an obligation on a party to provide sufficient establishment for their position. All parties bear some level of the burden of proof (except for the most neutral stance possible) but there is a definable asymmetry.
    My problem with this one is that all other cases but the first seem to have another quality as statement for me. You have a negation (I don't know if). The other cases would, if you complete them, start with an affirmation (I know that, etc.).

It can well be that this is irrelevant for your test schema.
    Last edited by Space Thug; August 25, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

1a There are a vast number of alternative gods and alternative explanations for everything other than God. As one possible truth among billions of possible truths the probability of God being true must be infinitesimal. So the burden of proof for ‘God exists’ is extremely high. Therefore 3, 4 and 6 are false and we should lean towards 2.
    Last edited by Vizsla; August 27, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Most of your propositions seem to be devoid of any content. And then, ultimately, despite the distortions of Scientific thought, a thing can only exist, or not exist.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)