Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The legend of Korra

Corvis's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Avatar: The legend of Korra

They were fantastic because they weren't ALL filler. The characters almost always grew themselves at the end of them. "The Beach" is a good example, but with the villains instead of Team Avatar. That, and a lot of that episode was all hilarious because it was sorta parodying "beach" episodes from a lot of anime and cartoons. Like Zuko flinging off his shirt and a flock of doves outta nowhere taking off.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well personally i expect to see alot more "enter the inferno" and "sozins comet" than say "the painted lady" not to say that it was bad, because it wasnt, but well sozins comet was pretty high quality.

The Painted Lady was a weird episode for me, because it was probably the most anvilicious out of all episodes. What with,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Katara outright telling all the village people that they needed to stop just hoping and actually work for their future.
    There wasn't much subtlety in that one. She didn't look that bad in the costume, though. But yeah, more episodes of the same quality as the finale would be amazing, even with the show's already very-high animation quality. Part of the reason why I enjoy it so much.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

I loved how they managed to put every aspect, every genre in one series: comedy, drama, war,...even that bit of thriller ("The Puppet Master")

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

I just hated how soft they made all the good guys. if I could bend and someone killed my mother or the peaceful monks that raised me, I would make them die a long, slow death they would beg for death before I was done.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post

Thoughts?
    Heard about this a few months ago. Very excited. I never watched Avatar when it was first on, but I've seen the entire series (plus Avatar Extras) on Nicktoons channel this past summer.
    Looking forward to new action, new characters, and new shipping opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by knight of virtue and valor View Post
    I just hated how soft they made all the good guys. if I could bend and someone killed my mother or the peaceful monks that raised me, I would make them die a long, slow death they would beg for death before I was done.
    Well, then you'd be no better than the bad guys. Actually, in the 3rd season they had an episode where they dealt specifically with Katara's rage and anger.
    Zuko helps Katara find the man who killed her mother; right when she's about to kill him in cold blood, she stops. She pretty much has an epiphany: this is not the way to find closure, and it would be pulling her down to their level. Aang felt much the same way, what with how he held back and refused to kill Ozai at the end of Sozin's Comet.

That's hardly "soft". They display courage and moral virtue, which requires far more strength then merely killing people in your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvis View Post
    The Painted Lady was a weird episode for me, because it was probably the most anvilicious out of all episodes. What with,
    Katara outright telling all the village people that they needed to stop just hoping and actually work for their future.
    There wasn't much subtlety in that one.
    True, but you have to remember: some anvils need to be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Heard about this a few months ago. Very excited. I never watched Avatar when it was first on, but I've seen the entire series (plus Avatar Extras) on Nicktoons channel this past summer.
    Looking forward to new action, new characters, and new shipping opportunities.

Well, then you'd be no better than the bad guys. Actually, in the 3rd season they had an episode where they dealt specifically with Katara's rage and anger.
    Zuko helps Katara find the man who killed her mother; right when she's about to kill him in cold blood, she stops. She pretty much has an epiphany: this is not the way to find closure, and it would be pulling her down to their level. Aang felt much the same way, what with how he held back and refused to kill Ozai at the end of Sozin's Comet.

That's hardly "soft". They display courage and moral virtue, which requires far more strength then merely killing people in your way.

True, but you have to remember: some anvils need to be dropped.
    no war was ever won in the history of man by such things as mercy towards an enemy who massacres entire nations. you scare a man and he will be sorry for the innocents he killed for a day. you kill him in a sufficiently painful and impressive way, and do the same with as many others of his kind you can find, it will make others think twice before they do stuff like that again. Ozai was responsible for the deaths of thousands, he should have been publicly executed in an exemplary way.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ozai though going from a god,having a huge empire and trying to take over the world. To what happened to him, I thought was a nice touch.
    Because there was alot of build up to that, with Aang having conflicting feelings on what he has to do to save the world.

Such a good show. Good main and supporting char.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

no war was ever won in the history of man by such things as mercy towards an enemy who massacres entire nations. you scare a man and he will be sorry for the innocents he killed for a day. you kill him in a sufficiently painful and impressive way, and do the same with as many others of his kind you can find, it will make others think twice before they do stuff like that again. Ozai was responsible for the deaths of thousands, he should have been publicly executed in an exemplary way.
    The thing is that they arent soldiers, the closest person to a soldier is sokka, but when they decided to travel the world they became adventurers not soldiers, not only that but they travel with the avatar, which is supposed to set the example of a hero, he cant go around killing as he pleases unless he cant do anything about it, otherwise how can the people trust the avatar? of then and later? he needs to be imparcial, the execution of Ozai would have only pissed off the people of the fire nation, they would hate anyform of avatar later on.

The setting seems very interesting and promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by knight of virtue and valor View Post
    Ozai was responsible for the deaths of thousands, he should have been publicly executed in an exemplary way.
    And if you do that, you're stooping to his level. The whole 3rd season was pretty much building up to the aesop that vengeance is not justice, and that mercy and temperance are the signs of a mature, responsible person; not just for leaders and warriors, but for everyone.

If you want a merciless character, you got plenty of villains to choose from.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    And if you do that, you're stooping to his level. The whole 3rd season was pretty much building up to the aesop that vengeance is not justice, and that mercy and temperance are the signs of a mature, responsible person; not just for leaders and warriors, but for everyone.

If you want a merciless character, you got plenty of villains to choose from.
    Wha? Executing a genocidal dictator isn't stooping to his level. Especially considering Avatar represents a medieval level world.

I wouldn't torture Ozai or anything, but I'd certainly execute him.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I look at it this way: if Aang just killed Ozai, it would've just been "meh" to me. Whether he killed him outright, or if Ozai did the whole "rawr your back is turned now I will attempt to stab you with this knife I conveniently hid in my pocket" letting Aang kill him guiltlessly. It's been done so many times before I was really expecting him to, but of course, in keeping with Aang's character, he learned to be decisive but to not compromise his ideals. Besides, this way Ozai gets to witness all that he and his tyrannical forefathers built up, fall with Zuko's more progressive and benevolent rule. Ozai and Azula's defeats are cruel, cruel mercy. Also the creators said that Azula was sent to a mental asylum on an island in the Fire Nation. Possibly with a room full of mirrors so she can claw at hallucinations of her mother.

Anyway, Aang torturing and executing Ozai probably wouldn't have been able to get past the execs no matter what. It did air on a kid's show, regardless how unimportant that demographic is today.

Also, watching the show while keeping in mind that each people are slight caricatures of the Zodiac makes it a bit more intriguing. Earth= stubborn, proud, immovable; Water= emotional, idealistic, caring, maternalistic; Air= independent, aloof and detached, intellectual, humanitarian; Fire= aggressive, dominating, passionate, very loyal.

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

i thought the title for a sec was the legend of Korea lol

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Quote Originally Posted by Corvis View Post
    I look at it this way: if Aang just killed Ozai, it would've just been "meh" to me. Whether he killed him outright, or if Ozai did the whole "rawr your back is turned now I will attempt to stab you with this knife I conveniently hid in my pocket" letting Aang kill him guiltlessly. It's been done so many times before I was really expecting him to, but of course, in keeping with Aang's character, he learned to be decisive but to not compromise his ideals. Besides, this way Ozai gets to witness all that he and his tyrannical forefathers built up, fall with Zuko's more progressive and benevolent rule. Ozai and Azula's defeats are cruel, cruel mercy. Also the creators said that Azula was sent to a mental asylum on an island in the Fire Nation. Possibly with a room full of mirrors so she can claw at hallucinations of her mother.

Anyway, Aang torturing and executing Ozai probably wouldn't have been able to get past the execs no matter what. It did air on a kid's show, regardless how unimportant that demographic is today.

Also, watching the show while keeping in mind that each people are slight caricatures of the Zodiac makes it a bit more intriguing. Earth= stubborn, proud, immovable; Water= emotional, idealistic, caring, maternalistic; Air= independent, aloof and detached, intellectual, humanitarian; Fire= aggressive, dominating, passionate, very loyal.
    the torture part is only what I would do. a qoick death would suffioce. but your right the "rawr your back is turned now I will attempt to stab you with this knife I conveniently hid in my pocket" is overdone.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

I thought the 3rd season was a bit uneven, there were these little personal side quests and vacations that weren't very good but the important episodes were among the best. I hope that with a more focused storyline a even better result will ensue.

But even if the new show is garbage it's still the avatar world and it will be great returning to it.

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

While where on the topic, what was your guys' favorite element? I liked earth the most in the original series, they seemed cool.

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    I thought the 3rd season was a bit uneven, there were these little personal side quests and vacations that weren't very good but the important episodes were among the best.
    I disagree. Most of the "filler" episodes were necessary in establishing that the Fire Nation wasn't made up of cruel monsters, just people like everyone else. Albeit led by cruel monsters all the same. Other shows would simply make a light-hearted episode that didn't really accomplish anything for either the characters, or the setting itself. Whereas Avatar the characters continued to grow and learn more about the places they were in at the time. That, and they brought levity to the show. I don't think I would've loved Avatar as much as I did if it were more of a drama like Cowboy Bebop. It works for that anime, but Avatar's setting and characters are more than just objects to drive through the plot. They seemed more like regular people (whether or not they were realistic in the actual type of era they were in is another matter) than instruments for the writers to help push the narrative along.

Quote Originally Posted by mp0295
    While where on the topic, what was your guys' favorite element? I liked earth the most in the original series, they seemed cool.
    Firebending was my favorite as a martial art, with earthbending a close second. What with the explosive nature, and firebenders having to move in closer than the other elements made for very exciting duels. Zuko and Azula's agni kai was my favorite fight in the show.

But, being a libra and all, I like the airbending and air tribes' the best. Purely more evasive than the other styles and it made enemies look like idiots a lot. Aang only really used true offensive attacks when he was angry or in the Avatar state. And he benefited a lot from his heritage to be able to mediate and reconcile opposing groups of people and arguments. Throughout the show he acted more detached and was able to see both sides' of the conflict. This was a detriment with Hama, though, since Katara and himself were blinded by their bias while Sokka didn't let that cloud his suspicions of her.

And, he was incredibly indecisive and lethargic about the entire "killing Ozai" thing. Zuko helped the group tremendously with more than just training Aang, he helped drive everyone to the task at hand while they were content with lounging at the beach.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

My elements are Fire, Earth, Air then Water. I like this because Fire not only fits my personality but you can shoot lightning and fly at the same time.

Fiyah.