Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone so bothered about god and religion?

Default Why is everyone so bothered about god and religion?

Why is everyone so bothered about god and religion?

I would be happy if every religion ended – I wonder if that day will ever come? After all before the monotheists came along, everyone did not belong to a religion! We just got on with our lives and visited the local shaman/witchdoctor when we had a headache.

Would humanity be better off in a post religious world?
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Because they like to discuss religion, its morals beliefs and some, to disprove it.

Because it imposes upon the masses a sense of duty and a willingness to obey.
    That might not always be a good thing, but I'd rather some idiot is too scared to kill me because he thinks an invisible guy in the sky will send him to hell.
    Of course religion promotes backwardness, but everything has disadvantages.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by RusskiSoldat
    Of course religion promotes backwardness, but everything has disadvantages.
    Only if you're foolish enough to take things that Literally, and not actually apply the principles to your life...

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by attila of nazareth

I would be happy if every religion ended – I wonder if that day will ever come? After all before the monotheists came along, everyone did not belong to a religion! We just got on with our lives and visited the local shaman/witchdoctor when we had a headache.

Yes, yes it would, it'd end religious strife and wars and end any negaitve influence religion has and leave us with the positive stuff because we can keep that without needing religion to codify it...

And people discusss religion because it affects everyone's lives.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by attila of nazareth

Because Relgion is built into our souls and mind. We have to explain how we got here we have to have faith. We also have to preserve history of past beliefs. You know in the Bibile the end of days there is a couple signs ALL have passed except for the declariation of world peace and the banning of all relgion. Stop thinking like that it's gonna lead to the end of the day's in (MY GUEES) less then a century

Patrician

Except people without religion survive perfectly well, and thus that's a false logic. Plus the numbr of times the end of times has been prophesyed is immense.

I didn't say anyone died or something. True it has been prohpihsed but all those were random. It was prohpoised the end of days would start on the EXCACT DAY THAT FRANZ FERNADIAN WAS ASSIANATED. Everything has come true. Mother aganst son etc. No one having respect about there bodys. Increase of disasterous wether. Wars without purpose. Relgious strife (well that's always been there). Declariation of world peace and banning of religon. When that happens god will remake the world and kill the evil ones (NOT THE UNFAITHFUL, HE WON'T DESTROY THE WORLD HE REMAKES IT). We live for ever balhlalblah. Im sure not all of that is right but it's eery the Franz Fernanad thing. It's eery that it's all coming true. I was just telling him he's one of the first of many who will start to turn aganst religion Personally If im around them I'll load up me shotgun and blow the ****ing heads off of anyone who trys to prosequte the relgious

Patrician

And that's not persecution? Can you find me where it says the end times wll begin with Franz Ferdinand dying please?

Religion brings a lot of good in many people's life, but when they try to bring it in politics, science and such things... errrr

Religion would be very good if people kept it for themselves.

Personally If im around them I'll load up me shotgun and blow the ****ing heads off of anyone who trys to prosequte the relgious
    But many islamists persecute christians, who themselves persecute islamists, who persecute buddhists, who persecute jews, etc. Will you blow the ****ing heads off of anyone who trys to prosequte [any] relgious?
    Last edited by Fenris; November 27, 2005 at 06:47 PM.

You're not living in the end of times.

Christians are not being persecuted. Period. The Religious Right (I assume that you're an American, too?) is one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the entire country. Over 80% of Americans believe in Creationism.

Professing your heart-felt Christian beliefs is a one-way ticket to political success.
    Professing your die-hard atheism is a one-way ticket to political suicide.

No one here in America is denied a job, kicked out of school, lynched, deported, or profiled/arrested due to their Christian beliefs. If Christians were truly being persecuted, I think a great deal of people would have noticed by now.

Fundamentalists freak out about not allowing school-sponsored prayer (you're kicking God out of the classroom!), the teaching of evolution in a science classroom (we have to teach the 'alternative!'), and dredge up these ridiculous Illuminati-type conspiracy theories to explain it all, for what?! About how the most populous, politically-empowered, and aggressive religious demographic is somehow being oppressed (Left Behind, anyone?)? It makes no sense.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

People are bother about it because as children they are usualy taught to fear and respect religious doctrine, some people out grow it, some people don't. And then both kinds of people tend to try and convince the other that they are right.

Religion tends to bring out the best and worst in different people, i think it serves a very necesary purpose even if it is to a large extent out of date.

See how many points i've raised, and how they can be endlessly debated? That is why people bother with religion, because we like to seem inteligent by trying to answer such impossible questions..
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Because Relgion is built into our souls and mind.
    Spirituality certainly is – religion just constrains it imho.

anyway christian evangelists are just plain wierd

hopefully humanity will not need its crotches for ever!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Also, many feel theirs is the right path, and the only path one should take, such as extremists. Also, religion affects us all in one way or another.

Umm. It doesn't say FF it says the date. I'm not a christain so no I don't know if it's chapter 34 paragraph 3 section line 8 5th word. Come on!. And what I mean't was I will shoot those who try to take away relgion. Because I belive everyone has the right to belive in relgion and in that thing it says they will take away all relgious artificats books etc and shoot you if you have it. Everyone loved bush before the war. Now they all hate him, Of course christainity goes ALOT deeper then just a Potlical Career but that show's just how quick thing's can change. It' very possibile a 100 years from now this could happen. The world is getting worse. Fast. People need something to blame. The Terroists. Why do the Terroists do it? Religion. Relgion is dieing alrdy even in America. 100 years ago it was taken far more seriously EVERYONE went to church etc. 100 years before that EVEN MORE. Now that the world is going to the ******* it's possibile that it will do a complete flop and relgion will be presceuqueted. I never said Christains were now I'm saying he has the point of view of lets just remove religion and be done with it. Which is what it says will happen. I was pointing out that alrdy there are a few who just say screw relgion. That's new. There were always people who weren't religious. But only the crazy exteremists wanted it gone completely. Clearly he isn't crazy it's a far more acceptable view now because more and more people can blame there promblems ON relgion rather then look to Relgion to HELP them. That's all I'm saying

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

I wouldn't give a damn about religion if it did not continuously try to impose its will upon others. Take, for example, Christian values about what should and shouldn't be shown on TV. It's not enough for them to have their values and simply change the channel when they see topless women or something; oh noooooo, they have to set up government agencies to hound and punish people who dare to show such a thing. They take away freedom of choice from everyone else so that they won't be tempted.

The same goes for creationism; if you don't want to learn or accept the conclusions of science, fine. It's your loss. But don't try to force scientists and science teachers to alter their conclusions to suit your religious views! And don't pretend that creationism is a legitimate science, because anyone who says that doesn't know science. If creationism were a real science, it would ask how God created Man, instead of just pointing the finger at Him and telling us not to ask any more questions. And of course, asking "how" would only force us to look for mechanisms ... like evolution.

In the end, religion is fine as long as it keeps to itself, but when it seeks to control the behaviour of people who don't believe in the religion, it oversteps its bounds.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    Umm. It doesn't say FF it says the date. I'm not a christain so no I don't know if it's chapter 34 paragraph 3 section line 8 5th word.
    Well give us a source or something, no? Unless you just heard someone saying this and you said: Oh! oh! It's true!

If the world ends (for the humans anyways) it'll be good ol' Earth who will have (well, let's say, HAS) grown tired of our mess and killed everyone, with diseases and climatic changes. Yup.

HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM BOTHERED BY RELIGION?! ARE YOU SAYING MY RELIGION IS WRONG?! YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR THAT YOU -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- -expletive- !

There's your answer attila

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris
    Well give us a source or something, no? Unless you just heard someone saying this and you said: Oh! oh! It's true!

If the world ends (for the humans anyways) it'll be good ol' Earth who will have (well, let's say, HAS) grown tired of our mess and killed everyone, with diseases and climatic changes. Yup.
    Well I was told it acctually. But I was told it by my sister who is becoming a lawyer (****in genuis) so Ya I belive her. She belives in god but doesn't have a particular relgion she alway's finds out these cool things and stuff. If you wan't I'll ask her?

There is no passage anywhere that even hints when the end time is except that the gospel will first be preached to all nations. After that then the end can come anytime. Having read the bible many times over I wouldnt have missed any prediction.

As a native american who believes in my traditional ways I am always fearful of the nonreligious elite. Its amazing how gullible christians and atheists are to believe that the elite believes in God. No one in politics adheres to religious beliefs unless it gains power and its only for power gaining.

Do you guys honestly believe that there has been devout christians running the country ever besides Jimmy Carter? This country has and probably always will be run by 2 faced atheists or deists who use God to get votes to stay in power.

Bush's christianity has always been in doubt by the religious right. Limbaugh isnot a christian.

Generally the masses always get used whether their christian, jew, muslim, atheist or whatever the masses always get pitted against one another for power.

Thats why when you look at the genealogies of the powerful 90% of the time their family has been in and around power for hundreds of years.

It shouldnt be about religion it should be about the masses versus elite.

Start any religion and if you gain enough believers the elite will switch their belief to maintain their popularity but they should never be mistaken for being part of that religion.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast