Thread: Regarding Achaemenian Equipment

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Default Regarding Achaemenian Equipment

I have a few questions regarding the equipment used by the Achaemenian army. I've read up on this topic a bit and I find myself confused.
    1. Did they use helmets? If so What kind? Infantry and cavalry.
    2. Did achaemanid infantry, specifically immortals only use wicker shields or did they employ wood covered in bronze or other materials?
    Here is a painting I found and it seems to portray infantry using painted shields. It doesn't show really whether it is wicker or not.

3. Is this an accurate portrayal of Achaemid heavy cavalry?

With the exception of the trousers this guy looks very greek, especially the helmet and shape of the armor. It resembles companion cavalry.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; August 23, 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Default Re: Regarding Achaemenian Equipment

Did they use helmets? If so What kind? Infantry and cavalry.
    1. For the most part no. The Cavalry did wear helmets that were similar to the Pilos style Greek helmets but they featured horse hair plumes. The Infantry appear to have entirely disregarded helmets. This is something of a mystery but Xenophon appears to be certain that it was a Persian choice not to wear them (Xenophon. Anabasis. 1.8.6). This leads me to believe that there must have been some form of cultural taboo involved.

2. Did achaemanid infantry, specifically immortals only use wicker shields or did they employ wood covered in bronze or other materials?
    Here is a painting I found and it seems to portray infantry using painted shields. It doesn't show really whether it is wicker or not.
    For the most part the Persian infantry from Cyrus to Xerxes were armed with wicker work shields reinforced with leather and wood, even the Immortals. The descriptions at Platea leave that undoubtable. There were wooden shields with bronze rims and bosses but these appear to have been either reserved for the elite retainers or were perhaps a different type of shield the Immortals could switch between.

3. Is this an accurate portrayal of Achaemid heavy cavalry?
    You're right to be suspicious, the reconstruction is famously terrible. The helmet has more in common with a Montefortino than anything the Persians seem to have worn. The armoured trousers were far less common than thigh pieces for the actual horse which overlapped on the horseman's legs. The body armour however is actually accurate. The starbursts on the shoulder pads are often taken to be a reconstruction of the Argead star of Macedon's royal family but the truth is the starburst had been seen decorating Persia troops on Attic pottery for quite a long time.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

3.It almost looks like he is covered with gold... No way. Also as rez already told us, the helmet is montefortino, a roman/italian type.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

He looks like a Carthaginian infantry unit from EB, only then mounted and coverd with gold

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Rez are there any alternative reconstructions? I find it very surprising that the armor is accurate.

I found several interpretations but i think some are portraying different types of cavalry.

Last edited by Prince of Judah; August 25, 2010 at 05:54 PM.

The armour is taken from this vase, I believe.

As for the cavalry issue its a complicated question because they, obviously, evolved over the hundreds of years that they were fielded. Are you looking for an early, mid or late re-construction?

If its early you're after then look no further than Rise of Persia's reconstructions.

Well, this helmet is truly awfull, looks very "hellenic" and post-alexandrian. But this kind "linothorax type" armor, albeit not always from linen, was very common in ancient world. Also, greek equipment was popular, Greeks were well known for their craftsmanship, and Persians were very flexible. They often copied useful gear from neighbours - i.e. scythian sagaris axe, very common in achaemenid army, even famous "spara" pavise was foreign in origin.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Yup. One of the "must-haves" of a lasting empire is the ability to adapt. The Persian, the Romans, the Mongols (yes, even the Mongols), they all adapted the good parts of cultures they conquered.