Thread: What if the Samnites Defeated the Romans?

Default What if the Samnites Defeated the Romans?

What if the Samnites some how defeated the Romans during their wars and came to dominate Italy?

Would the same sort of expansion happen or would the Samnites be confined to Italy?

Default Re: What if the Samnites Defeated the Romans?

unlikely roman expansion and empire came about through great mix of things and some unique roman systems.
    To get the same with the Samnites would be a very lucky roll of the dice.

They wouldn't have expanded outside of Italy for sure. I'm not sure what their stance to Carthage and the Greeks would be.
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Senator

Maybe the Gauls would have pushed further into Italy and with no rival Carthage would be the ones to influence the modern western world today since they traded far and wide, I would imagine that Carthaginian influence would take hold in places like the British isles and such. Or maybe Pyrros could expand into Italy without contest and maybe even finish something he started...

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Too many different possible outcomes. Rome more than likely wouldn't hold any territory outside Italy. So theoretically all of the powers it conquered would have remained independent. Would some other power take its place? I suppose Carthage might have expanded a bit more without having to worry about Rome, but not much. Would have the Greeks, Italian Powers, and Carthage be able to resist barbarian invasions?

If so, who knows, the world would be completely different today.

If not, then history more or less would have gone on a similar path.

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

The samnites were where the romans got the manipular formation and may have gradually created a legion like way of war. I really couldnt see them going very far though, even if they beat rome i doubt they would have incorporated it and even if they did they probably would only hold a portion of italy. I think their stance towards the greeks and romans would have been one of continued native italian hostility that had existed for centuries. To have become like rome would be a very slim to nothing chance.
    Rep me and ill rep you back. Make sure you leave your name.

g/data/thumbnails/17/usaflag.jpg[/IMG]

I think Pyrrhus would have done better in Italy and maybe captured most of Italy.

Carthage would probably dominate the region as well,since Rome wouldn't be there to put preassure on them.

Indefinitely Banned

With a diminished Rome, perhaps Carthage would have been the defining empire of the Mediterranean and Europe during classical antiquity and we would have gotten more Phoenician/Canaan culture than Greco-Roman values passed down.

And perhaps without a strong Roman Empire, the Sassanians would have expanded further and perhaps reclaimed the western borders of their Achaemenid ancestors?
    Last edited by ValkyrieQueen; September 04, 2010 at 06:55 AM.