Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Marius Legions

Default Post Marius Legions

Have any of you noticed that the Republican Cohort's statistics are only 2 points overall better than princepes?

The princepes have better impact damage with their pilum and the Republican Cohorts have 1 better melee.

Why is the difference so slight?

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

Its a balance issue. SPQR is not designed for UBER units. its based off these are the same men just better trained. The pilum doesnt change, its how it used that changes. the stats are adjusted and Early cohorts are MUCH better on the battlefield than Principes. Dont go by the Ingame stats, its the real stats that make a difference and the fact I tested out the performance of all the units.

There is other things like morale etc that make a difference, The Game just adds up all the points and shows that ingame, but it doesnt mean its acurrate. Go by how they perform in the field not some numbers in a box. lol

Test them out in custom battle Have 4 units of Gaul Chosen sword and then 4 units principes. Then do the same except with the early cohorts. You will see the difference.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Thanks very much, I was disappointed when I compared the two.

How muh better are they (I have barely played with them!)?

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

They are far far better than the earlier principes. They lose far less men in battle and from my experience heal up better after the battle (using a general who has a healer stat). I just love the reforms. They turn my otherwise killer army into a real killer grinder, able to tear through multiply enemy armys with ease.

On a side note what type formations do you all use after the reforms? Here is mine:

-----L L L L-----
    ----L L L L L----
    Sp-Sw-N-Sw-Sp
    ------A A-------
    C------G------C
    -------Sw-------

L=Legion Cohorts N=Named Legion Sp=Spear Aux Sw=Sword Aux A=Archers C=Calvery Aux G=General
    1st line is always setup in shieldwall/hold formation 3 deep, 2nd line is regular formation/hold, and 3rd is same as 2nd line formation/hold. Archers are always set to not skermish and hold. All Legions including Named get switched to fire at will when the main enemy line starts to charge.

I just swing out a Aux and drop in a Seige equip when needed.
    Last edited by mb1972; November 28, 2005 at 02:26 PM.

Shield wall should be 2 deep for fairness of its design. CA's shield wall is also 2 ranks deep.
    Lt_1956

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Thats strange wasn't the republican Legions the once who really ruled the world at first under sulla, Marius, Pompey, Caesar and Octavian. remember these were the legions who smashed the gauls, germans under caeasr command, the mitradites, the britains, spartacus, numdian and so on. The republican legions under caesar and pompey in asia were unstoppable u could say. Look at caesar's legions the ones who smash gauls, germans, britons, pompeys troops in spain, Greece and senatoral faction in africa, more troops in spain, the ones in the asia minor and the egyptians. If u think about it these legions were prehaps the most effective ones overall. and basically ruled the world.

The republican legions have to be alot stronger than for the next mod.

Hell, the Republican Legions as is rip through anything. I for one play SPQR due to it being harder than original R:TW. Doing that would just make it easier to steam roll then don't you think?

I'll switch to doing 2 deep on shield wall, LT.

Um I can already get 100 losses to 3200 kills with the republic legions. Remember they were just MEN, it was TACTICS and training that made them conquer the world!
    Lt_1956

The reason that Republican Cohorts conquered the world weren't superior soldiers, as people in fields of intelligence, physical fitness. They perhaps got that way, but what made them become better individual soldiers was simply experiance under great generals,and their success were due to great Generals commanding them. If you stuck Julius Caesar with "Imperial" Cohorts and, say, Gaius Vibius Volusianus (a very obscure emperor.) with "Republican" Cohorts, you would then claim the "Imperial" Cohorts are better, with their Lorica Segmentata instead of Lorica Hamata.

-Revan
    Last edited by Revan The Great; November 28, 2005 at 05:59 PM.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Um I can already get 100 losses to 3200 kills with the republic legions. Remember they were just MEN, it was TACTICS and training that made them conquer the world!
    Yeah well obviously they were men and the tactics and trainning made them conquer the world prehaps the greatest disaters these legions had were probably under marcus licnius Crassus in Partha. But still marian reforms these legions well to deal and to be able to withstand the barabarians especially the gauls and german and he did modifed the pila especially too and done much more. anyway the republican legions still rock and the defense of the legions is just right too it rocks. oh yeah by the way u i have the best spartans i've ever seen so far in a mod.

Are there any modifcations or changes ud think ud probably make for the next mod lt regarding the roman legions?

I have just begun to notice improvement, I just looked at the stats and they were the same. Sorry to waste everybodoy's time.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Man for man the (in real life) the imperial legion was the superior solider if you compare to a republic legionnaire from Caesar’s time. He had better armor (plate instead of chain mail), better logistics (I never heard of a roman army that went hungry), and support (medics etc), better technology (blister bolts, scorpions improved pillia design).

"Pillia"

-Revan

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great
    "Pillia"

-Revan
    Care to explain?

Freddie was right, the plural of pilum, the thing they throw at people...

No no, Singular=Pilum, Plural=Pila not Pillia.

Also, don't be an ass and butcher my signature in the quote

-Revan

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Not So Great As I Think I'am and will not complain when he see's I have changed his name in my quote
    No no, Singular=Pilum, Plural=Pila not Pillia.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Also, don't be an ass and butcher my signature in the quote

-Revan
    Ok

Honestly, be a jack-ass. You won't provoke me you're just making yourself look bad now. If you have a problem with something, just say it.

-Revan

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Um, no. Dont be a jack-ass.

Wow, impressive amount of patronage members. Also, what you said was essentially in support of me, thanks

-Revan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast