Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash at end turn

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Default Crash at end turn

I crash frequently at hitting end turn button plaing the Romani. I am in year 239BC and no army is besiege any of my cities nor attacking me just when i hit end turn. I can manage about 1 turn the next i crash. Any ideas?

Default Re: Crash at end turn

Please make sure all of the following doesn't help you:

The game crashes as soon as I end turn / The game crashes during the AI turn.
    This is most often because of an impending rebellion. We've reduced the occurence of this quite a bit, but there remains some problems. Also some other, unidentified issues remain that cause these kinds of crashes.
    • Try to reload the game and end turn once more.
    • <requires some juggling with the installation>Try to run the game with the Barbarian Invasion or Alexander executable, they have been reported to be able to bypass some of the crashes. This requires the expansion in question, of course. See the unofficial mods subforum for how to setup EB to work with these. You should probably copy the EB folder from your RTW only folder into the BI/Alex folder, so that you have an intact RTW only EB installation.
    • <own cities only and only occasionally works>Demolish all game field buildings in rebellious cities that you own.
    • < own cities only>Magically create happiness enhancing buildings in rebellious cities that you own. add_money <amount> and process_cq <settlement> will help here. Once you've passed the impending crash, demolish the buildings you created this way and restore the money balance.
    • Reload a savegame from 2-16 turns before and play from there. Chances are that the exact same situation causing the crash won't arise again. Don't have any prior savegames? Foolish. Make sure you keep them in future campaigns.
    • Use toggle_fow to check all settlements on the map for rebellion (meaning about to rebel, not being eleutheroi!) and prevent them from doing so.
      • Check for the pitchfork icon when double-clicking each city.
      • For each city with a pitchfork, make sure it does not rebel. There are many ways to do this:
      • EITHER: Reduce the population of all rebellious settlements: add_population <settlement> -4000, where settlement is the name of the settlement.
      • OR: Install the force diplomacy mod and force them to sell you the settlement.
      • OR: Teleport over a unit and lay siege to the settlement. move_character "<character name>" <x>, <y>. The character name is complicated
        If he's named Appivs Cornelivs Blasio, for instance, his real name could be "AppivsG Romanvs", "AppivsJ Romanvs" or any other letter between A and K after his first name.

for Romans, and "Firstname Middlenamelastname" for others (make note of capitalization, hyphens and lacking space!). X and Y are the map coordinates to teleport him to.
        You may get the coordinates where you want to go to by: Write show_cursorstat in the console (don't press enter), then point the mouse where you want to go and press enter to apply the command. The console will output the coordinates.

You cannot teleport to sea, cities or impassable terrain.

• If it's not a rebellious city, or you're unable to prevent the revolt through other means, you can try to take over control of the faction in question.
      • Make a backup copy of your savegame just in case.
      • Make a backup copy of eb/data/scripts/show_me/generic_script.txt.
      • Modify eb/data/scripts/show_me/generic_script.txt to include a line console_command control <troublesome faction> between script and end script. Look up the internal name of the faction in question here:
        seleucid - Romani
        greek_cities - Koinon Hellenon
        thrace - Epeiros
        macedon - Makedonia
        numidia - Ptolemaioi
        romans_julii - Arche Seleukeia
        romans_brutii - Baktria
        romans_scipii - Hayasdan
        carthage - Pontos
        pontus - Saka Rauka
        armenia - Sauromatae
        parthia - Pahlava
        dacia - Getai
        germans - Sweboz
        scythia - Arverni
        gauls - Aedui
        britons - Casse
        spain - Lusotannan
        egypt - Qarthadastim
        saba - Saba

• Run EB and load your savegame. Activate the normal background script.
      • Activate the generic script by pressing F1 on your keyboard, then the question mark button and finally SHOW ME. You should lose control of your faction and gain control over the troublesome one.
      • Save the game at this point so you can experiment freely.
      • One thing in particular that you should try in your experimenting (below) is to destroy a bunch of buildings in all settlements that have a lot of them. Basically, if the whole building list at the bottom is filled in any settlement, start knocking them down. They may have exceeded the amount of buildings allowed and are crashing because another building is being created.
      • Do stuff to see if you can get around the problem. Make sure they don't have any revolts, check out their characters for clones (if so, endeavour to move them somewhere they can't interact with anything), cancel all construction/recruitment, destroy all governments, move all their units around and so on. Experiment without inhibitions. End turn.
      • If you do get past the crash, save and exit the game.
      • Modify the generic_script.txt to no longer switch control to the troublesome faction, but rather back to your own.
      • Run EB and load the savegame. Do the same maneuver you did when transferring control to the other faction; F1 and so on.
      • When you're back to your own faction, save the game and exit.
      • Revert the generic_script.txt to the original one.
      • Run EB and continue your campaign.

a CTD can also be caused if you destroy a port and then recruit ships...in an EB city you can have two ports, a commercial one and a military one. If you destroy the commercial one, you can still build ships, but they can't appear on the campaign map once they are done building, causing a CTD

this would explain why you can only manage one turn and then crash, because most ships take 2 turns to recruit

Razgriz101's Avatar Laetus

Icon4 Re: Crash at end turn

I'm also having a constant CTD at the same point everytime I end the current turn, I used toggle_fow and found that the game is consistantly crashing at the start of Makedonias turn. Their last settlement, Byzantion, is under seige by a Seleucid army but shows no signs of wanting to rebel (no pitchfork), any idea why it's doing this??

Edit: I also checked every other settlement on the map for revolts and found Bratosporios (Sweboz) and Alexandreia-Escate (Saka) showing signs of rebellion, I removed 8000 population from both (enough to make them managable again) but I still get the CTD at the same point. :S

I tried using the generic script trick to take control of macedon (as well as AS and Ptolemaics just to make sure) and I still have absoloutly no idea whats causing the damn thing to crash!! I've attached the save file in the hope that someone might be able to figure it out. Any help would be extremely appreciated...I worked hard on my pahlava campaign
    Last edited by Razgriz101; August 23, 2010 at 05:33 PM.

@Razgriz101
    I'll check your save-game as soon as the weekend approaches! Please post until then if you are using mini-mods and what exe you are running on.

XSamatan

Funny coincidence. I am also having ctd's at the end of a turn because Rhegion (Romani) is about to revolt, probably to my faction (Koinon Hellenon). And I thought I was so clever for my subterfuge...what a pity.

I think that I had made the right change to the generic script and clicked the right buttons in the right order, but nothing happens. Perhaps the rebel faction cannot be controlled in this way?

Game freezes at the end of the rebel turn, at least it seems that way.

IIRC this cheat only works with RTW not BI or ALX in case you are using them. If you upload it I'll give it a try on my builds, any clue where the crash can come from?

XSamatan

Hi

I've had a long look and my investigation seems to be taking me to Ebnronum and its associated rebel leaders in the background script.

I notice that there is quite a bit of experimental code there and reference to code that was planned for removal but hasn't been.

I think the code in this section explains why there was a Casse army sitting outside the town (no way it walked there at this stage in the game).

Although I am still checking, the problem seems to be related to having two or more enemy factions in proximity to the town.

Dear Sir, check your PM's!

Samariten's Avatar Senator

I belive i crashed at end turn cause i got pitchforks at two cities (Taras and Rhegion), currently changing type of goverment.

See the section in the Frequently encountered issues regarding CTD's due to rebellions, this should do the trick.

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by Samariten View Post
    I crash frequently at hitting end turn button plaing the Romani. I am in year 239BC and no army is besiege any of my cities nor attacking me just when i hit end turn. I can manage about 1 turn the next i crash. Any ideas?
    ! WOAH! I have the EXACT same problem and I was wondering why. I am on the year 239 as Romani and I control most of Southern Gaul, Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.. and one of my settlements is being besieged by an Aedui force... and each time I end my turn and it reaches the Eleutheroi faction it tells me the game has stopped responding.. What's going on!?

:- Noticed something new... the region of Byzecena says it belongs to Eleutheroi on mini-map, but it really belongs to Carthage.
    Last edited by SarouSaREN; August 09, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Sometimes when a town (not your town) rebels and turns to Eleutheroi the game crashes. The workaround is that you open the consol, find the city which is causing the crash and somehow prevent it from rebeling. The most common thing to do is to make the population of the city in question smaller, ie type the consol command for taking away population (4000 less population usualy does the job), and in that manner increase the public order which will prevent it from rebeling. I can't remmember the consol command but you can search for it.

At least that's what happened to me when in similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SarouSaREN View Post
    :- Noticed something new... the region of Byzecena says it belongs to Eleutheroi on mini-map, but it really belongs to Carthage.
    Bad...
    Try to load a game where this problem has not come yet.
    Otherwise try the hints given in the Frequently encountered issues about AI turn crashes.

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by Sting the King View Post
    Sometimes when a town (not your town) rebels and turns to Eleutheroi the game crashes. The workaround is that you open the consol, find the city which is causing the crash and somehow prevent it from rebeling. The most common thing to do is to make the population of the city in question smaller, ie type the consol command for taking away population (4000 less population usualy does the job), and in that manner increase the public order which will prevent it from rebeling. I can't remmember the consol command but you can search for it.

At least that's what happened to me when in similar situation.
    How can I check which province is rebelling? I can only see my provinces, even with FoW it doesn't tell me if they're rebelling unless I put a Spy in every city. None of my cities are rebelling but three were a couple of turns before this happened.

Press F1, select the question mark in the right upper corner and follow the directions given by the advisor, this will give you full details.
    Btw, the pitchfork symbol appears at all times, so look again (or there are no rebellions)

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    Press F1, select the question mark in the right upper corner and follow the directions given by the advisor, this will give you full details.
    Btw, the pitchfork symbol appears at all times, so look again (or there are no rebellions)

XSamatan
    Well, I found three settlements that weren't very happy. Three settlements were rioting and when I decreased the population I noticed no immediate changes, I reclicked them and it showed the population I removed but the happiness was unchanged. (Or does it take a turn to change?) Well, either way it crashed when I ended the turn. Should I give you the saved file? I have a backup but its around 39 years behind and I don't feel like repeating all those battles with Carthage again.

First try process_cq

Open the console and enter process_cq CITY ; now you'll see the changes

If that fails upload your save, note build number and used minimods so I can safely load it up here.

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    First try process_cq

Open the console and enter process_cq CITY ; now you'll see the changes

If that fails upload your save, note build number and used minimods so I can safely load it up here.

XSamatan
    Ok, going to try that now. I don't have any other minimods. (to the best of my knowledge) What's the builder number?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast