Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire **COMPLETE** (With Compilation)

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 10/1)

Sorry about not commenting for such a while, this semester has been particularly busy. Anyway, great updates as always and victories. Still, the Hungarian development is troubling, as they could strike at your very heartlands. Do you have strong forces there to protect your border if that happens? +rep
    Just a few things:
    to show his more confidence
    That would probably sound better as: to show his increased confidence.
    conduct dissuading him from
    I think you meant conduct dissuaded him from.
    We were both had only a
    I think you meant: We both had only a.
    bBdouin
    Shouldn't that be: bedouin?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 10/1)

lol give him a break on the spelling and grammar; english probably isnt slantarios' first language which makes the writing and composing of this AAR and its predecessor that much more impressive

Libertus
    Nebraska, no: I DO NOT live on a friggin Farm

If we wanted even more logic we should be speaking Greek in this AAR.
    "So, you tell me that if I buy this you won't steal my limited edition Boba Fett statue?"

• Proud Fourth-German ^-^
    • Proud Fourth-Irish
    • Hater of France (Not the people, just everything about them)
    • The above is only Joke-Hatred

Awesome update! yet with the Franks defeated shortly it looks as if Europe is nearly wrapped up though Curious as to what mod and faction Pagan vengeance will be! I'm getting ahead of things though.

Hi!
    You did a great job with these AARs. Maybe the only thing I visit TWC is to read it.
    Here is an advice: How about changing your strategy a bit? I mean with Skantarios gone the age of heroes is dying. I think your empire should act like an empire, throwing horrible masses at the enemy where possible, especially France. I know you are doing a "roman style warfare" but maybe the change would add the feeling of well... change. Skantarios forged an empire out of nothing, yet your conquest in Europe feels like you're still just a little nation fighting with his one full stack.
    By the way im really lokking forward to Pagan Vengeance!

DemonLord's Avatar Miles

Hello there. I have been spending the last hours reading both this and your previous AAR and all i have to say is....KEEP IT COMING PLEASEEEEEEEEEE your a very good player and a very talented writer and story teller. One of the best AARs i have read. Congratulations
    If you want to keep contact with me outside TWC add me in skype or steam i got no problem

steam: dloriginal21

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (On Temporary Hold)

Thanks to everyone who has commented in the thread and a special thanks to those who voted for me in the last MAARC! Having your support is what keeps me coming back and posting and moving the story along.

Thank you. Thank you.

As you probably know, this AAR is temporarily paused while I am going through a transition in real life. I am having problems right now figuring out both a consistent internet connection as well as getting free time to post. I hope to have both issues figured out soon so I can get back to this AAR and start my next one.

Also, for those of you on Twitter, I have opened an account so that I can keep people updated on the latest with my AARs and my future writing projects. If you are on Twitter, you can follow me @Skantarios.

This AAR is far from finished and I have already started working on the next installment. Hope to have you reading it soon!
    Last edited by Skantarios; October 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (On Temporary Hold)

Skantarios, thank you for writing this AAR. I've finished yesterday reading I am Skantarios and I must say that I loved it. You are a genius. I have still to catch this one up though. Good luck by solving your problems.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skantarios View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has commented in the thread and a special thanks to those who voted for me in the last MAARC! Having your support is what keeps me coming back and posting and moving the story along.

Thank you. Thank you.

As you probably know, this AAR is temporarily paused while I am going through a transition in real life. I am having problems right now figuring out both a consistent internet connection as well as getting free time to post. I hope to have both issues figured out soon so I can get back to this AAR and start my next one.

Also, for those of you on Twitter, I have opened an account so that I can keep people updated on the latest with my AARs and my future writing projects. If you are on Twitter, you can follow me @Skantarios.

This AAR is far from finished and I have already started working on the next installation. Hope to have you reading it soon!
    no problems, mate
    we'll always be around, you take all the time you need to sort your affairs in order
    glad you've got a twitter feed happening

Great AAR Skantarios! I eagery avaited for the sequel of the saga about Roman Empire's rebirth, and I'm loving it. You're AAR's are classics of the genre the moment they are posted.
    Best of luck to you and I hope all of those changes in your life will be positive ones!
    P.S. my old username was Pannonius. and +rep mate, too bad I can only give one.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

ArkocentoArisen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No!!! i wont let this AAR fall off the Front page! I know it sounds like im being a Crybaby about it but i Joined TWC just because of this AAR so until Skantarios returns i will at least keep it at the front page
    Look, Some words

Indefinitely Banned

lol, front page or not, i always keep an eye out for this thread when i'm in the AAR library

Quote Originally Posted by Arkocento Prinos View Post
    No!!! i wont let this AAR fall off the Front page! I know it sounds like im being a Crybaby about it but i Joined TWC just because of this AAR so until Skantarios returns i will at least keep it at the front page
    Absolutely, both of Skantarios' AARs should be stickied or something...
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Libertus
    Nebraska, no: I DO NOT live on a friggin Farm

I agree.

Although I am sad that i caught up with the story; Waiting is evil D: But no pressure lol
    "So, you tell me that if I buy this you won't steal my limited edition Boba Fett statue?"

• Proud Fourth-German ^-^
    • Proud Fourth-Irish
    • Hater of France (Not the people, just everything about them)
    • The above is only Joke-Hatred

ArkocentoArisen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

no presure either i just really wish he came and said hello though
    Look, Some words

Default Chapter 14 - The End of the Crusade

Chapter 14 - The Crusade (1549 AD)

The situation in the East has become the talk of the Imperial Court. Everyone knows of Lords Vitos and Genessios' opposition to it and their stated position of fighting any that would oppose them in their pursuit of the Mongols.

I must confess that I, too, have thought of almost nothing else. The idea of war with the Hungarians, our kinsmen and allies for decades, has sent a shiver up the spine of everyone of us. That is, everyone except Emperor Vasileios. He sits on his throne impassive to all the worries of his courtiers. Each report from the East generates barely a grunt of acknowledgement, nothing more. In fact, the only emotion I have seen him display over this whole affair is a faint smile when the latest word reported that the Hungarians are approaching Urgench.

He is like the Sphinx, that one. What plans he has working in the recesses of his mind are hidden from all. He seeks no counsel and brooks no dissent. He is a master at this sort of political intrigue and keeps his ultimate agenda hidden.

I curse him for the impossible position he has put my husband in. Should Lord Vitos (and Genessios) accede to his demands of cooperation with the forces of the Crusade, they will be humbled before the Emperor. The perception of their autonomy will be dispelled and their prestige will plummet. However, should they defy him and make war on both the Mongols and the crusading Hungarians, then they will be break a peace treaty that has stood as the cornerstone of our security since the days of Skantarios' father, Emperor Theodoros. They will be labeled as traitors and outcasts and are too far away to do anything about it.

I have written to my husband time and again and received no reply. In desperation, I have sought the counsel of
    my mother, the dowager Empress Maria. Although she has absented herself from court since the death of Skantarios, she has kept herself apprised of the war with the Mongols and our current predicament with the Hungarians. The Hungarian King Dezso is her brother and he has also written to her asking her to intercede with Vitos and Genessios and so avert a war between our two peoples.

Couriers have been sent with all speed to convey both my latest letter and that of my mother to Genessios and Vitos. I have written to my husband and mother has written to Genessios.

Though I risk condemning myself and my mother as traitors, I have included the text of her letter to Genessios in this entry of my history.
    Spoiler for Letter of Maria

My Son,

You and I have not spoken since the funeral of your father. The blame for this rests squarely on both of our shoulders. Words have never come easily between us. I admit that our relationship has never been close and I do not pretend it is so now. I never tried to take the place of your natural mother. I did not wish to supplant her in your memories even if doing so would have lessened the grief you carry for losing her to our war with the Turks.

I admit that the day Emperor Skantarios informed me your adoption was one of the most difficult of my life. That I could not bear him a son is my life’s greatest regret. Our failure in this regards always cast a pall over our relationship. Though he never said so publicly or in private, I knew that he blamed me for the lack of a biological son. Still, you must know that though you were not borne from my womb, I have always considered you my son in every respect. I shared in the pride Skantarios lavished on you and was ever your advocate at court when it was still my place to do so.

Will you now cast aside the honor and pride of your father for some petty jealousy towards Vasileios? Will you sacrifice the safety of the Empire for your ego?

Your position as to this foolish Crusade that my brother-in-law has called can only lead you to ruin. You must see that going to war against the Hungarians will mean disaster for both of our peoples. Know, too, that doing so will simply play into Vasileios’s hands. You will be the outcast. You will be the one to blame while Vasileios reaps the benefits. If you fight the Hungarians, you give Vasileios the justification to declare war on you. He will be the hero and you the villain.

Now, let me speak even more plainly. You do not have the position or the power to challenge Vasileios at the present. Remember, he is in the capitol and you are so very far away from home. He commands the treasuries and the armies of the West and North. You have only the forces of the East and the allegiance of Vitos. You have great power at your disposal, but not enough.

Your victories against the last of the Muslims brings you the love of the people. Still, do not mistake that love for their support for civil war. Should you make war on the Hungarians, the love of the people will vanish like smoke in the wind. No matter your justification, Vasileios will control how your actions are told and perceived. Declare war on our allies and you will be hunted down without mercy.

The time is not yet right for going to war with Vasileios. Hold true to our alliance with the Hungarians, finish off the Mongols, and come home covered in glory. Do this and you may have enough power and influence to challenge him directly. Do it not and you condemn yourself, Lord Vitos, and your men to their doom.

I beseech you, my son, follow my counsel and I will stand with you when you return. Swallow your pride for now and, upon your return, I will lend the weight of my name and my influence with my native people for your bid for the throne. We need you to fight with us, not against us.

You must have a little patience if you wish to reap the rewards.

-Your loving mother, Maria.

I can only hope our letters will reach them in time. The latest reports indicate that we may have run out.

The Hungarians are already at the gates of Urgench! Both Vitos and Genessios are there with their armies and seem posed to either fight the Mongols or the Hungarians. Perhaps both.

We are on the precipice of a new war. One that none of us want.

While I await fresh word from the East, reports from the other theaters of war have started to come in. From the West, there is but little news. Both Diadohos Efthymios and General Kalamodios have spent the past few months gathering their strength for a new push into the heart of France. They have seen no trace of fresh French forces and their preparations have gone unmolested (quite a change from the past few years).

Efthymios sends that his next push will be aimed against the French capitol of Paris where he hopes to find the traitorous (new) French King Evrart and so rescue his sister from their clutches. In support of Efthymios, Kalamodios will make a push for the northern coast and, hopefully, split the French kingdom in two. I wish them well.

The only news of battle comes from the African Front. Lord Zinonas has brought fresh troops with him and secured the city of Oran while Isidoros has moved on towards the Spanish stronghold of Melilla. During Isidoros' approach to the city, he came upon a strong force and brought them to battle.

First Battle of Melilla - June, 1549 AD.
    Spoiler for First Battle of Melilla

From Battle Report Filed by Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1549 AD.

The Spanish have sallied out to meet me here in the mountainous terrain east of the city. They have substantial numbers and their strength is multiplied by the difficult terrain that has dogged our march throughout this campaign. The only flaw in the Spanish plan is that they have divided their command between two forces, one to each pass. This makes some sense as each force outnumbers our own by a substantial amount. However, if they had combined their strength and marched to meet me rather than staying in defensive positions, the situation would have been hopeless. As it was, I had the opportunity to defeat them in detail.

As soon as were within striking distance, I had us make camp in a strong position and waited for nightfall. The inexperienced Spanish captains must have assumed that we would either retreat or await further reinforcements. We did neither. Instead, as soon as night fell, I led my boys out in silence while the camp attendants stayed behind to keep the fires stoked and convince the Spanish that we remained in camp. Making use of the cover of the terrain, I made straight for the position of the first (and largest) Spanish force and made my assault.

The first Spanish army was quite strong but composed mostly of light troops and militia. The bulk of which were sword armed infantry.

They had seven full strength companies of Sword Militia, four more of Sword and Buckler Men, and one each of Halberds, Militia Spears, and Dismounted Men-at-Arms. Their cavalry arm was composed of two companies each of Feudal Knights and Mounted Jinetes. Their only real weakness besides a full contingent of spears was that they had no missile troops at all save the javelins of the Jinetes.

My army was a conglomeration of the forces brought out of Italy as well as some Roman reinforcements and a few locally raised companies.

I had three companies of Scutarii Spears, one of German Pikes (Landsknecht), one of Swiss Pikes, one of Andalusian Spears, a reduced company of the Varangian Guard, and one of the Siphonatores. My cavalry arm consisted three companies of Cavalarii horse archers, three of Stratiotae light cavalry, two of Italian mercenaries, one of Archontopoulai, and one of mounted crossbowmen.

I made my attack in the pre-dawn hours just as the first light of the day started to show the field. The Spanish were still in their blocking position but formed up for battle in surprisingly quick order once they saw our approach.

Although surprise was now lost, there would be no time for their brother army to make their way to the battle before we could strike. It wasn't much but it would have to be enough.

As soon as I noticed the lack of Spanish missile troops, I sent the Cavalarii out to the wings to find good firing positions and start to work over the enemy horsemen.

The Jinetes and the Feudal Knights made a show of trying to drive away the Cavalarii but now the terrain worked for us and they could not catch my light horse archers. Those that strayed too close paid the price for their rashness.

The French Knights saw the folly of trying to catch the horse archers and instead bore on full speed into our lines. It was an act of desperation that showed both their bravery and their foolishness.

My spears and pikes met them in a solid line and killed or drove them off in short order.

The infantry were now without cavalry or missile support and could not maintain their (formerly) strong position. They charged down through the valley that separated us and made full speed up the hill to match their iron with ours. What they found was the tight ranks of infantry...and fire.

Normally, I do not like to risk the precious Siphonatores in an open field engagement. However, the terrain and the lack of Spanish cavalry made this the ideal opportunity to put them to use.

It was hard to argue with the results.

These Spanish had never seen this kind of technology. The effects on them, and their morale, was remarkable. Dozens were burned alive where they stood. Many times that number panicked and fled.

What before been solid companies of swords and spears dissolved in a moment into a mass of disorganized and frightened men running away as fast as their tired legs would allow.

My cavalry now sprang into action and slew with abandon all those they found. My infantry were not far behind.

The result was an utter rout. Only a handful of the Spanish managed to make good their escape.

We suffered a few casualties in the initial Spanish charge but took more than twenty for each one we lost.

More than half of the Spanish army fell into our hands as prisoners.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

With the second Spanish army barely a mile away, it was a clear decision as to what to do with them. They had to be executed.

To quote an old saying, "woe to the vanquished." We certainly dispensed quite a bit of woe that morning.

- Isidoros.

This report of Isidoros was only the first that came in the same packet. No sooner had he finished dealing with the first Spanish army than he had to face the second.

Second Battle of Melilla - June, 1549 AD.
    Spoiler for Second Battle of Melilla

From Battle Report Filed by Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1549 AD.

We had barely enough time to finish off the prisoners from our first battle than we had to face down the second Spanish army. They had, as expected, moved to assist their brothers when the sounds of battle came through the mountains. However, they were slow to break camp and did not reach the field until the first battle was well over.

Now, they were in a bad position. Although we had the advantage of the heights, to retreat would be both unmanly and foolish. We would have the freedom to harass them with arrows and cut them up with our cavalry as they tried to move away. They couldn't stay put or they would be at the mercy of the horse archers. They had no option but to attack - which was exactly what I wanted them to do.

The Spanish army was somewhat smaller than the one we had just destroyed but was still a respectable force.

For infantry, they had five companies of Sword and Buckler Men, three of Militia Swords, two of Dismounted Feudal Knights, and one of Halberd Men-at-Arms. For cavalry, they had but two units of Feudal Knights and one of Mounted Men-at-Arms.

My army had suffered a few casualties in the previous engagement but were, for the most part, intact.

As I said before, the Spanish were in a bad position. In their haste to reach their comrades, they had marched through the low, flat valley. This left them vulnerable to the high ground all around.

My horse archers made good work with their cavalry and, to a lesser extent, the infantry. Even so, the overall casualties were light but they did "encourage" the Spanish infantry and cavalry to charge headlong up the hill into my infantry line.

The first to arrive were the Feudal Knights. These men have proven themselves to be brave but far too overconfident. Their armor may be impenetrable to the weapons of lesser soldiers but were quite vulnerable to the leveled pikes of my Germans and Swiss. Though their momentum was strong, they could not break our line of pikes and suffered many casualties proving that point.

One of the first to die in that ill-fated charge was the Spanish Captain.

This not only deprived Captain Dominco of his life but also deprived the Spanish of leadership.

The rest of the Spanish army could not help but notice the death of their leader but still pressed on with their attack. Still, they pressed on with remarkable bravery. Up the hill they charged and right into our lines. The impact of their assault was fierce in the extreme.

Still, my boys had the positional advantage and held the line as true Roman stalwarts. The Spanish momentum was dashed against our pikes and spears. In quick fashion, we sent out our cavalry reserves to flank the Spanish line. The Spanish saw that the battle was lost and broke back down the hill. The militia led the retreat but were followed by the rest in short order.

Just as in the last battle, my cavalry pursued without mercy. Again, only a few managed to make good their escape.

We suffered many more casualties in this battle than the last; over a third of my army lies slain on the field including the bulk of my infantry. I was late sending out the cavalry and my infantry paid the price. It was a mistake that I do not intend to repeat.

Again, I have taken many prisoners in the pursuit after the battle.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    Given how many of my men lost their lives that day, the decision was even easier than the first time. I ordered their execution.

My men took to it with quite a bit more enthusiasm this time.

Despite my losses, I will press on for Melilla. I cannot give the Spanish time to regroup.

- Isidoros.

Isidoros held true to his word and continued on his journey west. Finding no more Spanish in his way, he made his way to Melilla without incident after almost a month of marching.

Assault on Melilla - August, 1549 AD.
    Spoiler for Assault on Melilla

The march to Melilla has been long and hot and I've left almost half of my infantry behind in unmarked graves. It was in a grim mood that my army approached the gates of this city.

I could tell that the strong Spanish forces that I defeated in June composed the bulk of the forces in this area. In fact, the city was hardly defended at all.

The garrison was composed of only one company of crossbowmen. The Spanish had gambled everything on bottling me up in the passes. It was a gamble they lost.

My army had suffered terribly but we were still intact enough to take this city.

I've had to combine several of my companies of spearmen together in order to make nearly full companies. Fortunately, I have also been reinforced by two companies of Scutarii Swordmen as well as some local African mercenaries and almost a full company of veteran Scholarii cavalry. Better yet, the Imperial navy has landed three units of Bombards to help us in the attack.

This "battle" merits little in the retelling. The assault was greatly simplified by the fact that the pathetic garrison did not even attempt to contest the walls. While they cowered inside, my cannons made short work of the gate.

Once the gate was blown down, my infantry swept in quickly and were in position around the central square in only a few minutes. As soon as they were set, we attacked the Spanish troops from all sides.

Our heavy infantry smashed into the light Spanish troops and slew with great gusto.

In the blink of an eye, the Spanish garrison was reduced to barely a handful.

When the separate companies of Roman infantry could see each other clearly, we knew we had won.

The assault was brutal and quick and relatively painless.

We took about a dozen casualties and cleaned out the city of the Spanish infestation.

Since the city did not surrender immediately, I have ordered it sacked. Besides the morale boost for the men, I want the populace to know that when we leave (and leave we must), I want no trouble from them in my absence.

We come as liberators, but we also come as conquerors. They need to remember that.

The gold is nice, too.

I have heard no word from Lord Zinonas but I trust he is following by sea or road and will be here soon with more forces. As always, we have need of more men.

As soon as I can settle this city, I will press on to the West. The Spanish must be reeling from losing so many men so quickly. I have the initiative and I must keep it.

- Isidoros.

General Isidoros continues to forge a mighty reputation for himself. Some in the court have even begun referring to him as "Isidoros the Conqueror" in light of his recent accomplishments; and deservedly so. Still, he is at the end of a very long supply chain and marching through freshly conquered territory where the hope of raising local levies is small. I think he would trade all the accolades being heaped upon him for a thousand fresh troops.

At least Vasileios has seen fit to maintain the naval blockade of the Iberian peninsula.

This will prevent additional Spanish troops coming down into Africa to reinforce their comrades. It also seems to have had the effect of stranding a great deal of Catholic priests who are trying to flee our advance.

The African theater of operations continues to be a sideshow to that taking place in France and the East. Until we are in a position to take the fight into the Spanish mainland, it will continue to take a distant third place to those other fronts.

It has now been months since we heard anything from the East. Each passing day only makes my anxiety the greater. Tensions between us and the Hungarians have been at the highest level in my lifetime. I am even told that they are beginning to mass troops at our border should their king be betrayed.

We all have waited so long for a resolution to this problem that when the word comes, we can hardly believe it. A packet has arrived from Lord Vitos telling the tale of the battle.

The Battle of the Mongolian Crusade - October, 1549 AD.
    Spoiler for Battle of the Mongolian Crusade

From Battle Report Filed by Vitos Vasilidis to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1549 AD.

I have been true to my orders from Constantinople and aided the Hungarians in their assault on the Mongolian capitol of Urgench. My uncle-in-law, King Dezso, has brought a mighty host to contest for this city. The reunion between me and my kinsman was...pleasant. We agreed to join forces for this battle in light of the powerful Mongolian forces in the area.

The Hungarian Royal Army showed signs of great fatigue but were ready for battle.

King Dezso was as I remembered him but the years have not been kind nor, I am sure, his travels pleasant.

For one so advanced in age, he still cuts an imposing figure.

In addition to his own Royal Army, Dezso has his most trusted general with him, Kilian Geregye.

They had a great number of halberds in addition to one company of Crusader Knights. They also had a lot of bowmen; mostly Bosnians but I did note one company of Lithuanians in their mix. Pagan Lithuanians on a Catholic Crusade. Strange.

Kilian was a capable commander and known for his loyalty.

King Dezso had marked him to be his governor of this place should they be successful.

I brought a respectable force to the battle.

Not as many as I had in previous engagements as I left my best troops behind in Khiva to take their rest. We would not need them.

The garrison of the city was quite small considering this was the capitol of their newly conquered realm.

I noted that these were some of the same men who had fled from my last engagement with the Mongols. I don't know why, but I found that somewhat funny.

The commander of the garrison was a young nobody named Mamgis Khan.

I am told he is related to the late ruler of the Mongols and kept the surname Khan. For one so young to bear such a lofty name shows how far these people have fallen since the days of the mighty Genghis.

There were two other Mongol armies in the area and I had agreed with Dezso that it would be better to take them all at once given our overwhelming numbers. At least I thought we had agreed but Dezso decided to launch a night attack without any warning for my forces. I guess he intended to take the glory for himself.

My night patrols informed me at once when the Hungarian siege engines began their assault.

The flames of their torches light up the night. They were not hard to spot.

Soon enough, the Hungarians were fighting away at the Mongolian guards on the walls.

I would not allow the assault to happen without my forces doing their part. So, I immediately ordered my cannons to commence their own attack and not wait for our own siege engines.

As soon as the gates were down, my men charged into the city at full speed.

I will note that it was my men that first entered the city square and met the forces of the young Mongol general.

The young lad was surrounded and alone after we had killed all his retainers.

He fought bravely and well but the issue was never in any doubt.

Spoiler for Mamgis Slain
    With the Khan dead and his bodyguard slain, we owned the square.

I ordered my men to form ranks and prepare a proper welcome for the Hungarians for when they finally arrived. When at last they made their way to the square, we greeted them as brothers and allies.

The battle was over quickly and the Mongol garrison was destroyed. My men and Dezso's did all the fighting. Apparently, Kilian didn't get word that the attack was tonight, either.

Despite my men slaying the governor of the city and taking the central square, I have yielded possession of the city to the Hungarians. They had come so far, it seemed only fitting to let them keep it.

I shall continue my mission, the real mission, of destroying the Mongols. I have news that they have further strongholds to the north and that is where Lord Gennesios and I intend to go.

I fight the enemies of my Empire; wherever they might be.

- Lord Vitos Vasilidis.

At first, I could hardly believe how measured and balanced was the report of Vitos. The agents of Emperor Vasileios have confirmed that Vitos did, indeed, cede the city to the Hungarians and has fulfilled, to the letter, the terms of our alliance.

The Hungarians are now masters of Urgench and have established a satellite state far to the east of their own lands.

I know Vitos must have been disappointed just as the other Crusaders who were slow in coming must have been; such as the Danes who missed the battle by mere days.

I had no idea how disappointed was my husband until a second letter arrived just a few days later. It showed that the official report was only meant for public consumption and not indicative of his true feelings.
    Spoiler for Letter from Vitos

My Beloved Wife,

I have done as you and your mother have asked. I have bent my knee to Vasileios and your uncle and allowed the Hungarians to take the city. In fact, I even helped them. I played my part in this wretched farce for all it was worth. I have gone against my word and subordinated myself and my army for the "greater good."

To say this took all the strength of will I could muster would be an understatement. However, the logic in your's and your mother's arguments could not be denied. Lord Genessios and I concurred that this course of action was best, however much it galls me to do so.

We had them! We had them!! The Mongols were at our mercy! We could have taken this city with ease and be done with this Crusade. If it had been anyone other than Dezso, I would have destroyed them without hesitation. If he had been anyone else than the kinsman of Skantarios, his death would have brought me much joy - matched only by flaunting it in the face of Vasileios.

How Vasileios managed all this is simply beyond me. I can understand getting our pet Pope to call this crusade. But how did he manage to make sure it was the Hungarians who reached the city first?! The one and only Catholic power that I would be prevented from fighting?

I cannot stand Vasileios. I know he is the brother of Skantarios but clearly is nothing like him. Although it pains me to say so, I can only surmise that they had two different fathers. There can simply be no other explanation. Skantarios would never have pulled such a dishonorable trick. It shames me as it should shame all good men.

The only good that has come of this is that I had the opportunity to speak with King Dezso privately. He has assured me that when the time comes, he will not stand in Lord Genessios's way when we settle the question of who are the rightful rulers of the Romans.

I long for the day when I can meet Vasileios as real men. Test my mettle against his and show the Empire that he is not fit to lead it. That day cannot come too soon.

Still, I have my orders from Skantarios and I intend to fulfill them. I shall destroy the Mongols as he commanded. When I have finished with that, I will return. Let Vasileios deal with both me and Gennesios if he dares. Let this false Emperor face the "Conqueror of the East" and the "Destroyer of the Mongols."

Then, we will see who the people support. Then we will see who shall rule.

- Vitos.

Thank the heavens that my husband is alive and has held true to our alliance with my uncle. I share my husband's sentiments. I, too, am ashamed in my part in this. Although it was the right thing to do, I cannot help but feel debased for urging my husband to give up his dignity for the good of the Empire. I can only hope he will forgive me.

The court is positively jubilant at the news. The Romano-Hungarian Alliance is renewed and we have peace at home. The Crusade is over and civil war is averted (at least for now). I was there when the news was read to Vasileios. He was, as ever, impossible to read. If I had to guess, though, I would say the only emotion I could read on his face was perhaps disappointment. I think he actually hoped Vitos would fight the Hungarians and so give him leave to send out armies to destroy him. Maybe even take some land from the Hungarians as well.

That man is diabolical. There is no other adequate word to describe him. He is also clever, cunning, and ruthless and so I must tread carefully. My husband has his army to protect him. I have only my wits and my name to keep me safe. I trust it will be enough.

One last thing that I must include in this chapter. When the news of the successful Crusade reached the Pope, he sent a pathetically small donative to Vasileios in "appreciation of the assistance of the Romans."
    Vasileios passed on this money to me and Genessios's wife, Chrysi. He said it was in appreciation of the service of our husbands and their obedience to him and the Empire.

That was the only time I have seen him smile in months.

In fact, the bags of blood money sit here in my room as I write this in silent mockery of both me and my husband.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

- Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis.

The world as we know it - 1549 AD.

The world as it really is - 1549 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; November 11, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated 7 November)

YES!

Arabia, and also finish of the Kypchaks and the rest of the mongols. That will isolate the Hungarians.
    Last edited by Treize; November 07, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Miss me yet?

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated 7 November)

Well, it's been awhile.

First, I would like to say thank you for your patience with me and my lengthy absence. I still haven't gotten all the issues resolved as fas as my internet access or, more importantly, my free time to post. Still, I have started again and I intend to keep going.

Second, thanks for all the support. Those that have spoken up as to their appreciation and enjoyment of this AAR have greatly encouraged me to come back despite my current difficulties. A special thanks to those who posted in my absence: Exarch, mikalos209, Beer Money, mocsing, DemonLord, ByzantineCaesar, Gromovnik (welcome back), and Arkocento Prinos.

Third, I would like to say that I am going to do a change in my format for future updates. From now on until the end of the AAR, instead of going year-to-year, I will be grouping my posts together so that updates will come for each theater and will span multiple years/turns. I think this will do a couple of things for the betterment of the AAR. It will allow me to tell some of these stories with greater continuity for each theater. I will break them up between the East, the West, and the African/Spanish theaters. Also, it will allow me to tell it faster (I think).

Again, thanks for the support and patience. It means a great deal to me.

I'd like to respond to every comment but I just don't have the time tonight. Still, I'll make an exception for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkocento Prinos View Post
    Thank you, my friend. I'll try to take it from here.

It's good to be back.
    Last edited by Skantarios; November 08, 2010 at 01:19 AM.

Great update! Glad to have you back! I sighed a huge breath of relief when I saw what happened at Urgench. Still, tensions are high between Vasileios and Genessios/Vitos. It'll be interesting to see what comes of the succession when Skantarios' greatest generals come back from their epic campaign.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Welcome back, and good update, Interesting end to the crusade.

Also, it's Turkey here, but like all Turkeys do, I have become Concrete.