Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire **COMPLETE** (With Compilation)

Default Chapter 11 - The War in the West Continues

Chapter 11 – The War in the West Continues (1546)

The French are still reeling from the invasion of Diadohos Efthymios and have not been able to mount an effective army to stop him as he plunges into the heartland of their country. Our spies inform us that the bulk of the French field armies are either still involved in their war against the Germans or have foolishly departed on Crusade. Their cities are only weakly defended and the new muster of troops is taking longer than expected.

Despite their problems, they have managed to redirect one of their lesser armies from the German front and lay siege to Efthymios in Metz. Despite its large size, the army is led by no one of importance as it seems they have lost too many of their generals and nobles in the previous battles against us.

2nd Battle of Metz - March, 1546

Spoiler for 2nd Battle of Metz

From Battle Report Filed by Diadohos Efthymios to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1546 AD.

I have spent the past winter under siege here in Metz. I could have sallied out earlier but was counseled against it by Captain Maggiados. We had ample food supplies and fighting a battle in winter when it is not necessary is simply asking for trouble. Doing so would have sacrificed a great deal of our cavalry's mobility for no good purpose.

Also, he pointed out that a few months of the winter's cold shivering away in their tents and holes would be quite an ordeal on the French and "soften them up" for our attack. On the other hand, we would be afforded the comfort and shelter of the fortress and give our soldiers ample rest. It was, as ever, sound logic and we followed it in due course.

With the onset of Spring, the snows melted and the time was right for battle.

The French army besieging us was very large but consisted mostly of poorer quality troops raised from the peasants and merchants of their cities.

They had six companies of the Voulge militia, three companies of Voulgiers, and two of pikes. For missile troops, they had three companies of archers. It also seemed as though the merchants were now being conscripted as they had two companies of the deceptively strong Militia Cavalry.

They were led by a young noble named Geoffroy Gonzague.

He had some experience in battle but I believe this was the first time he had actually led troops in combat. His experience would be telling.

The French army had also detached two companies of Voulge militia and one of gunners to forage and loot the countryside surrounded the fortress.

My army was composed of those troops that had assisted in the taking of the fortress last fall.

Many of the veterans of the Imperial Army had been detached for either retraining or to recruit replacements in the losses that led up to this battle. Still, I had a varied corps of veterans consisting of one company each of Scholarii heavy cavalry, Stratiotae light cavalry, Magyar horse archers, Cavalarii horse archers, and the mercenary elephants. The only Roman infantry at hand was a depleted company of heavy spearmen. Therefore, I have been forced to make extensive use of mercenaries of late but their quality is high. We had one company of German knights, one company of Serbian Hussars, two companies of Swiss pikemen, two of Free Companies, one of Swiss halberds, one of German pikes, and one of German Zweihanders. From the previous assault, I also had three units of bombards and one of Mangonels.

Although we would be outnumbered almost two to one, I was confident given the higher quality of our troops and the stiffening of veterans in our ranks. My men were professional soldiers all and not a bunch of quickly conscripted townsfolk pressed into service.

When I gave the signal for our sally, the French abandoned their siege lines and formed ranks. They made an impressive show given their large numbers.

My men made haste through the gates to get into battle lines before the French had a chance to respond.

The French did not seem willing to come too close to the walls where the fire from the towers might have supported us. So, after deploying the men, I ordered the bombards to begin firing into their massed ranks.

Their archers took up the challenge and sent fire arrows descending on the heads of our artillerymen. The cannons switched to grape shot when the range allowed and blew holes through the ranks of the archers.

The French militia cavalry displayed some excellent initiative by sweeping around to the flanks to attack my infantry. Their charge was somewhat muted because of some farmer's fences in their way. Still, they managed to get around to the side of our formation before we could adequately respond.

This was somewhat unexpected and more aggressive than I had been led to believe about these men. My armored bodyguard responded quickly and we had the French horsemen pinned quickly and brought the bulk of them down before they managed to disengage.

Since their cavalry had left their archers exposed, my own light horse and mercenaries leapt forward and crashed into the archers.

We quickly scattered them but did not pursue too closely lest we get tangled up in the mass of pikes and pole arms of the main French lines.

Young Geoffrey tried to support his archers and horsemen by charging forward into our ranks in a display of commendable bravery but very poor common sense. We were able to quickly surround him and his men and brought them down quickly.

Geoffrey's first command would be his last.
    Spoiler for Death Card

The peasant infantry tried to come to the rescue of their commander but they were slow and disorganized. When they advanced within range, the cannons resumed firing with sickening effects.

Dozens of men simply came apart when struck by the scores of lead balls spewed forth by the cannons. Even those that were not torn apart by the barrage were splattered with the gore of their comrades. For men who had only months before been toiling away in the fields or mucking out stables, this first taste of death was too much; many simply threw down their arms and ran.

Those few that didn't run under the bombardment made their way to my waiting infantry lines. There, the professional mercenary corps under my command met them in formed ranks.

It was a rout from the start. These Frenchmen possessed little skill and even less bravery. As their lines crumbled, we surged forward in hot pursuit.

Some companies attempted to rally but my elephants now took up position on the flanks and my horsemen swept around behind them.

Pressed from all sides, the French lines completely fell apart and they all went into a full retreat.

The French foragers did not fare much better as my horse archers picked them off as they tried to join their comrades. When those men saw what had happened to the main army, they were all-too-eager to join them in the retreat. Being further away from the battle, about a third of them made good their escape. For the main French army, not one man was so lucky.

The bag of prisoners was very large. Nearly half their army was rounded up, disarmed, and put into the pig pens outside the fortress.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

I took pity on these men and offered them up to the French for ransom. Unfortunately for them, I was the only one to take pity on them. The French king did not.

It took nearly a full blood-drenched day to dispose of the nearly thousand prisoners. A poor end for this newly formed French army.

Of all the elements of war, I find this the most distasteful. Men who only months before were peacefully tending their fields now lie in orderly ranks with their throats opened and their blood pooling into the ground. I know that is necessary and a part of war but there is no honor in it. It is just butchery.

Now that the siege (such as it was) is lifted, I will move south to Dijon. My plan against the French is to deprive them of their recruiting grounds and training facilities and, thereby, their best soldiers. Their professional soldiers are the only threat to us because, as this battle showed, their militia are simply no match for our warriors.

- Efthymios.

Efthymios had dreamed of being the successor to his uncle since he was a child. In some ways, he has shown himself to be an able commander and leader. However, I think only now is he learning all the evil that father had to commit in order to win his victories. It is a sore lesson and one that I hope no more of my kinsmen will have to learn.

Not long after Efthymios's victory at Metz, his sub-commander, General Kalamodios, sallied out of Staufen to continue the campaign to the north. Along the way, he came upon another small French force trying to delay the offensive.

Third Battle of Staufen - July, 1546 AD.

Spoiler for Third Battle of Staufen

From Battle Report Filed by Kalamodios Kymineianos to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1546 AD.

The small French army was a mix of professional soldiers and city militia.

The professionals were my greatest concern with one company of Mounted Knights, one of Dismounted Knights, and one of dismounted Men-at-Arms. The other half of the army consisted of militia with one company of Merchant Cavalry, two companies of Voulgiers, and one of pikes. Noticeably absent from the French ranks were any missile troops.

The lack of missile troops in the Spanish army was the polar opposite of my own. My own force consisted almost entirely of horse archers.

I had seven companies of Magyars and four companies of Cavalarii horse archers. For shock cavalry, I had two companies of mercenary Serbians and one of Stratiotae - all of whom had once served Emperor Skantarios just a few years before and recently returned after replenishing their ranks in northern Greece. For infantry, I had but one company of mercenary Swiss halberds.

I had the French at a disadvantage from the start. We used our better mobility to take the high ground and then sent in the horse archers to pelt them with arrows from an elevated firing position.

The French struggled manfully to reach us but left a ragged trail of dead in their wake showing the effectiveness of our marksmanship.

The proud French knights would not be shot down like their infantry but charged up the hill at full speed. My Swiss halberds were waiting for them with their polearms planted. The hill took the momentum from the Frenchmen. Then, my Swiss took from them their lives.

When the French captain saw how little impression he was making against the Swiss, he tried to retreat back down the hill to rejoin his hard-pressed infantry.

My Cavalarii displayed their skill by shooting him down before he had a chance to reach his men.

Practically the entire French army was shot to pieces by my horse archers. The only company to successfully make the climb was the Dismounted Knights. Just like their mounted brothers, they too were met by the Swiss.

It was a short but brutal fight but the outcome was never in any doubt.

Not a single French soldier left the field. Most stayed where they fell with several arrows sticking out of their corpses.

The few prisoners we took joined their friends in death when the quite-small ransom was refused.

I shall try to recruit some local infantry to add to my ranks of Roman and Magyar horse archers. These horse archers are excellent in the field but virtually worthless in assaulting fortifications.

- Kalamodios.

It would seem as though the French are still struggling to put together a real army to challenge our soldiers in France. They are simply throwing whatever forces they have available against us in a piecemeal fashion and with only poor leadership. If this is the best they can do, the war in France is already won.

In Africa, Isidoros spent the previous winter with Zinonas in Beleb el Anab after he relieved the siege. He has now set off for his next stop on the drive across Northern Africa - Algiers.

We did not expect to see a report from him so soon as he had just arrived and, to the best of our knowledge, had not even begun building siege equipment. From what I have gathered, the proud Spanish did not wait for his assault but instead attacked him as soon as he arrived!

Battle of Algiers - October, 1546 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Algiers

From Battle Report Filed by General Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1546 AD.

When I disembarked with my men near Algiers, the scouts reported only a small garrison and what seemed like an easy mark. I admit that I was somewhat lazy and overconfident given their reports and did not move immediately to the attack. My delay allowed a large Spanish army to come up on my rear and attack while we were still in a temporary camp overlooking the fortress.

This army was quite powerful with a large number of professional infantry and a sizeable contingent of heavy cavalry.

The Spanish sword militia formed the bulk of their infantry with seven companies. These militia were backed by two companies of Dismounted Men-at-Arms and four companies of spearmen of various types. They only had one company of Arbalests for missiles which would prove to be a key disadvantage. Backing up the large number of infantry were three companies of mounted Feudal Knights and one of the fast Jinetes. The Spanish mounted troops were the biggest problem in all of our battles and would prove so again.

The small garrison of the fortress also sallied out to assist their brothers but were few in number with just one company of Feudal Knights and one of Sword and Buckler Men.

We were significantly outnumbered, especially in cavalry.

We had two companies of Scutarii spearmen and two of Scutarii swordsmen. The rest of our infantry consisted of one company of Varangian Guard, one of heavy swordsmen, one of German pikemen, one of Prussian spearmen, one of Swiss pikemen, and two companies of local spear mercenaries from Andalusia. We had a great disadvantage in cavalry with just one comany of the veteran Scholarii and one of the light Stratiotae to augment my own bodyguard. For missiles, I had but one company of mounted crossbowmen and one of mercenary Pavise Crossbowmen. The bombards with the army would give us a long range capability but were of dubious value given the terrain and their small number.

My one advantage in the battle was the decent terrain we occupied. The small hilltop of our camp provided a good overview of the battlefield but also limited our options. We were pinned against the ocean to our left and rear; at least the men knew there would be no escape should we lose the battle.

The Spanish main force deployed on a hilltop opposite our own. To get to us, they would have to move over open ground.

It was at this point where I keenly regretted not having more missile troops. The valley would have made a perfect killing ground.

I decided not to waste my one company of mounted archers and so sent them to harass the garrison as they moved to join their comrades. The crossbowmen did what they could but the numbers were very much against them.

The Spanish captain sent his mounted Jinete skirmishers out to send javelins into our packed ranks. There they were met by my mercenary crossbowmen and suffered greatly for their audacity.

In just a few moments, the Jinetes lost half their number while inflicting only minor casualties against us.

Given the lack of missile troops on both sides, it was a foregone conclusion that this would be decided in the old way: men hacking away at each other from close range with spear, sword, and pike. When the Spanish charge came at us, it hit like a sledgehammer against our lines.

Over two thousand infantry battled it out to in an evenly contested match of courage and steel.

The heavy Spanish cavalry swept around the flanks to smash into my infantry and missile troops. We now had to fight both the masses of Spanish infantry to our front as well as the armored horsemen to our rear.

The only forces I had to counter them were my own bodyguard and the Scholarii. Either of these units were more than a match in an even fight but we were outnumbered more than two to one and it was a close battle. Had the Spanish knights been able to break through and take the infantry in the rear, the battle would have been a disaster. Fortunately, I had kept the Varangians as a mobile reserve and pulled them back to smash into the Spanish horsemen one the momentum of their initial attack had been blunted.

The two-handed axes of the Varangians made all the difference when I combined them with the power of my bodyguard.

The Spanish fought very well but we were able to slay their captain in a lucky moment.
    Spoiler for Death Card 1

The captain of the garrison tried to charge home and add his weight to the battle but ran afoul of the Andalusian mercenaries and he, too, lost his life.

Spoiler for Death Card 2
    With both of the Spanish captains dead and their infantry not being able to push ours back, the resolve of the Spanish began to weaken.

I sent what was left of my bodyguard around the flanks where they were joined by the tired Varangians and we started to roll up the Spanish from both sides.

The militia broke first but were soon joined by the rest of the army.

The battle was a close run thing and we lost almost 40% of the army in this Pyrrhic victory.

My lack of cavalry prevented me from rounding up all of the Spanish but we still took over 700 prisoners.

Being so exposed here showed that I could not risk a ransom for their lives. With some regret, I ordered the execution of all the prisoners.

My men are blooded and exhausted. Of the nearly 3400 combatants who faced off this day, barely a 1000 lived to see the sunset. A tragic and terrible day all around.

Still, it was a victory.

The rest of the Spanish seem to have fled. My scouts report that the fortress is completely abandoned.

As soon as I have finished cleaning up here, I will move to take the now-empty fortress and soothe our wounds in its comfortable confines.

- Isidoros.

The Spanish seem to be putting up a much more spirited resistance. For all the problems with supplying our generals in France, they are magnified two-fold for getting troops to Africa. It is made even more so in that Emperor Vasileios has publicly stated that he has adopted a "France First" policy and made that theater the priority for troops and treasure.

It makes some sense. From a family perspective, he is supporting his eldest son and heir, Efthymios, at the expense of his second son, Zinonas. On a more practical level, Vasileios can obviously read a map and knows that France is the much closer and more dangerous foe being so close to our ancient home of Italy. I only hope that by doing so, he doesn't leave our fighting men in Africa completely unsupported. Their battles are costing us enormous casualties and there is precious little we can send them and even less they can raise themselves.

It has been another bloody year of conquest in the Empire.

...and there is no end in sight.

- Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis.

The world as we know it - 1546 AD.

The world as it really is - 1546 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; September 18, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/14)

Where is Ioannis and Gennessios?
    Also, I still laugh at how you consider 200 casualties (less than 1/6) of his original army, heavy casualties. I couldn't have hoped to have won that first battle with at least double the amount of casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    They would be incorrect. The only path to happiness is through Christ.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/14)

Still, many were veteran troops, and supply lines are somewhat streched that far in the east.
    Great update, loving the politics.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

The tension is growing within the empire, sometime I wonder if the true enemy of the empire may grow from within...Time will tell of course. Great update and awesome battles against the Mongols. Although I fear a hasty victory in the steppes may cause you great harm in the near future as enemy troops are deep within the empire.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

About what Karnage said, how are you going to represent those rebellions? Will you withdraw some armies from combat at crucial moments? Or are you going to roleplay against yourself in some other way?
    80% of the people on forums have things in their signature they ask you to copy. If you're sick and tired of this, copy this in your sig
    Fun things to do in Total war:
    1. Trample peasants to death with elephants (optionally with culverins)
    2. Burn peasants with greek fire
    3. Bombard peasants with mangonels
    4. Burn peasants with fire-arrows

Yes, I like my peasants...
    Fried!!!

Lunchbox's Avatar Foederatus

Hi, Haven't posted on your AAR's since mid of the first (brilliant by the way! )

How the army commanders are responding to the new emperor and the shady deals are perfect ERE as sad as it is.

I look forward to the Reconquesta of Spain as it was Romans first true major territory conquest during the republic days

Cool story, mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/18)

Post #101 has been edited to a full update finishing off the year of 1546. Please scroll back up and have a look.

I had originally intended on going through 1547 but a lot of things happened in that year and I simply ran out of time. Besides, at over 3000 words, I think it is long enough for most readers.

I will try to get the next update to carry through 1547 by the end of the weekend but no promises. I will also respond to comments at that time.

As always, thanks for reading!

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/18)

skantarios
    ur new post reflects your new skill in enhancing pics; i love the closeups in the pics where u can see the mens' eyes and the ones where the enemy soldiers exploded into a cloud of blood when u let loose the artillery on them.

an excellent update, and well worth the wait!!

a france first policy eh, guess it makes sense, especially if u can envassal the french, else after u take france you'll be exposed on 3 fronts with the english to the north

Awesome battle with the Spanish! And I'm always amazed how well you integrate the court storyline with the events.

DirtySmurf's Avatar Laetus

This gets better every week. It has become much more interesting than every history book (including the almost informal "Lost to the West" by Lars Brownworth, coincidentally the Byzantine Empire) I have ever read. I wish my textbook writers could meet you.

Keep it up man!

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

I knew you could keep the Skantarios storyline going, but I love how you've been able to shift the focus and emphasis away from the individual-hero and onto the grand stage of the Empire and its politics. Its amazing to think of everything that will happen in the time it takes to restore the Empire's old borders: Hispania!, Britain!, western Germania.

TQ

Indefinitely Banned

what i love about some AAR writing styles, is the way some writers pull off a good framing device;
    in the first skantarios, we had it as excerpts from Emperor SKantarios' diaries, including private letters and existentialist musings on the moralities of his actions. makes me wonder what emperors and kings from previous history thought about their own actions.
    in this AAR, we've got the Chronicles of a certain byzantine princess, with updates by certain Generals and their motivations and ambitions. i can think of a few other AARS which've been able to do it well and this AAR certainly stands out.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Great update as always, I believe my beloved France is in trouble And it seems Spain may be running out of steam as I doubt they can keep up this kind of campaign. But as I have suggested before, and I believe now would be the best of time. With the Emperor sending all war funds to the French front, perhaps it is time for a good old fashion "scorched earth" campaign in Iberia. It is a risky maneuver, even riskier then the one Skantarios did in the Nile, but if you do this right, you may cripple Spain ability to wage war and buy you valuable time.

Food for thought of course
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Default Chapter 12 - The End of an Old Enemy and the War in the West Continued

Chapter 12 - The End of an Old Enemy and the War in the West Continued (1547 AD)

Although the French are still reeling from the invasion of our forces out of the Alps, they have put together enough men to lay siege to the fortress of Staufen and lock General Kalamodios and his men inside.

In a somewhat surprising move, Diadohos Efthymios has not moved to support the garrison but rather departed for the west in search of further conquest. He has trusted in the defenses of the fortress and the skills of Kalamodios to defeat the besiegers without assistance.

There are some in the Council who believe it a mistake to divide our forces in the face of invasion. However, Efthymios is confident (perhaps too confident) given how little prowess the French have shown up to this point in the war. He is in charge and the plan was carried out.

Fortunately, we only had to wait a short time to see who was correct.

Defense of Staufen - February 15th, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Defense of Staufen

From Battle Report Filed by Kalamodios Kymineianos to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

I watched with some amusement over this past winter as the French scratched away in the frozen dirt outside the fortress and slowly built their trenches and siege engines. I could have taken the fight to them but thought it best to allow the elements our work for us while we enjoyed the safety, security, and warmth(!) of the buildings inside Staufen. We had ample food supplies while the French had almost none (we scoured the surrounding land clean well in advance of their siege).

The French force was rather large with mostly professional soldiers and some militia to fill out their ranks.

The French infantry was a mixed bag of dismounted Men-at-Arms, dismounted knights, halberdiers, and three companies of Voulge militia (most likely to do all the grunt work that was beneath the more "noble" warriors). The French had a respectable contingent of missile troops with two companies of the Scots Guard archers and one of armored arbalests. The large cavalry contingent consisted of two companies of Feudal Knights, two of mounted Men-at-Arms, and one of the super-heavy Lancers.

I don't think the French king gave his men much hope of actual success as the army was not led by a knight but a simple captain of no significance.

The garrison under my command was large but somewhat understrength in infantry.

We had only two companies of Scutarii swordsmen, one of mercenary dismounted German knights, and one of Swiss halberds. For missile troops, I had one company of Roman archers and one of mercenary arbalests. My cavalry consisted of one company of the heavy Pronarii, one of Cavalarii horse archers, and one of Mounted Acritae. However, the real killers of this battle would be my two units of Mangonels and the one company of Siphonatores. They would ensure the French had a very warm reception, indeed.

When the French assault came, it was not done in secret. They attacked in the full light of day to the sounds of trumpets, battle cries, and the sound of their siege towers crunching along the packed snow. They attacked in high spirits and a desperation to finish this siege. Whether this was because they were impatient to come to grips with us or they simply wanted to get out of the cold and into the warm confines of the fortress, I do not know.

When the French reached the outer walls, they were in for a surprise. At the first sight of the French advance, my men had abandoned the outer walls for the security of the inner fortifications. This was not done out of cowardice. We wanted the French to come in so that instead of attacking on a broad front, they would be clustered and packed closely as they came through the gate.

The French were only too happy to oblige.

They poured through the gates in good order and tight ranks.

Their tight ranks were exactly what we wanted. Since the French were only too eager to take this fortress and warm themselves with our fires, we would oblige them...in spades.

The Mangonels concealed just behind the inner walls opened fire with a terrifying effect. Scores of men were incinerated as the barrels of naphtha exploded in the air and rained down liquid death upon our enemy.

I don't think this is the warm embrace the French were looking for. The Mangonels could scarcely miss against the masses of Frenchmen scrambling underneath the walls.

Our men were heartened by the loud screams of the dying as men and horse were consumed in flames. The French armor may have been stout but it only served to lock those soldiers in when the fire consumed them. My archers added to the French misery by firing volley after volley onto their heads while enduring only scattered return fire.

My Mangonels and archers couldn't kill them all, though, and some managed to move both ladder and ram to the inner gates. Those with the ladders were quickest and soon made their way up the walls.

We met them there with the swordsmen and the German mercenaries. The pole arms of the French were good but they were outnumbered and pressed from all sides.

As my Mangonels continued to fire, the French ram was successful in breaching the inner gates. My Swiss mercenaries were there waiting for them.

Most of those still alive outside the gates thought better of assaulting through the entrance in the face of burning oil being poured from above and set pikemen waiting to their front. Those few that did summon the courage were then met by the fire of the Siphonatores positioned along the flanks. After only a few blasts and a couple horsemen cut up by the halberds, no other Frenchmen dared to come through.

The only real fight going on was still happening on the walls. However, after seeing most of their army incinerated below them and making no headway against our swordsmen, they thought better of it and beat a hasty retreat.

My men noted with some grim amusement the numbers of Frenchmen pushed to their deaths from the ladders by their comrades in the mad dash to get away.

We continued our fusillade on the French even as they retreated. The comings and goings of the attackers were marked by the long trail of bodies they left behind.

Most of the French were burned beyond recognition. The strong smell was horrid.

I sent the cavalry out to chase after the retreating French. We managed to round up a few dozen and slay a few dozen more. Our victory was total.

Only a few of the "noble" knights managed to make good their escape. The unfortunate infantry were not so lucky.

The prisoners we took were not numerous and so I offered them back to the French for a very reasonable sum.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

However, even this pittance was refused. The pathetic prisoners at least served some utility by clearing out the bodies of their comrades and burying them in their former siege lines. When that task was completed, I ordered them to join their brothers for all time.

Now that this siege has been defeated, I will join the reinforcements recently arrived from Skantarium and make my way north. My scouts tell me that the French are on the move against our garrison at Metz. I shall move there and see if there is any truth in their stories.

- Kalamodios.

The success of the recent victories against the French has the court buzzing. Since the defeat of the army at Staufen, the French have scrambled to put together fresh forces to oppose our armies. Our generals are now on the march and have cut communications with each other as Kalamodios moves to the north and Efthymios goes south along the Rhone River Valley. This will put more pressure on the French but also leave our men somewhat exposed.

It is not long before we hear from Efthymios. He has made his way unopposed to the French city of Dijon. The French have rallied some men together there and he has sought them out.

Battle of Dijon - March, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Dijon

From Battle Report Filed by Diadohos Efthymios Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

My scouts reported that the French have used Dijon as a staging point for troops in Central France and managed to put together a sizeable force. If I could break them here, then all of France along the Rhone would be open to me. This was an opportunity I could not miss and so I have hastened to the spot and brought them to battle.

When I arrived, I found that the reports from my scouts and spies were true. There was a large army camped just outside the city. If I could bring them to battle, then the garrison might be coaxed out as well and I could forgo a siege of the city.

The army outside the city was rather large.

For all their numbers, though, they were just militia. The army had great numbers but no real strength. It was mostly infantry with five companies each of Voulge militia and pikemen. The only cavalry outside of the bodyguard of the general was one company of Merchant Militia cavalry. These were all raw recruits which showed how poor the state of the French army was and the effects of us taking away some of their nearby training centers.

They were led by a new general named Philip of Boulogne.

He was a "new man" of the French court who had only gained his position because so many other nobles had been killed in earlier battles. Although he was an experienced soldier, I believe this was his first time to lead an army (such as it was).

The garrison of the city was fairly small.

They had but one company of professional Voulgiers and one of Feudal Knights.

The governor of the city was also named Philip. It seems the French lack imagination even when it comes to naming their children.

He was a man who had led men before but never against Romans.

My army was not what it once was but I have made good my losses by hiring some of the excellent mercenaries in the area.

I still had many of the old stalwarts of the Imperial Army which consisted of one company of Scholarii, one of Stratiotae, one of elephants, four of Cavalarii horse archers, and one of Magyar horse archers (who were recently joined by two additional companies of new recruits). I also welcomed some of Skantarios's old soldiers - two companies of heavy Serbian cavalry recently arrived from northern Greece. In addition, I had two companies of Swiss pikemen, one of German pikemen, one Free Company, one of Serbian Hussar cavalry, and one of veteran German Knights.

We were a formidable force and I was happy to finally have a full levy of soldiers - especially veteran ones.

When we came upon the French army outside the city, they were already formed up into neat ranks in the snow.

Their line stretched for well over a mile. It would have been a brave horsemen indeed who would go up against so many pikes.

As our own men formed up into their respective groupings, I noted with more than a little satisfaction that the other Philip had led his men out of the city to support his comrades.

Seeing as the garrison was now exposed and had not a single archer in their ranks, I sent a division of horse archers to harass them as they moved to join the main army.

The French horsemen proved to be especially vulnerable to our arrows and many of them fell under the first few volleys.

In accordance with our standing orders, the Cavalarii concentrated their fire on the general and his bodyguard. Our men let out a cheer when Philip (the governor) was shot off his horse.

Spoiler for Philip Dead
    While one division of horse archers was busying dealing with the garrison, the rest of them moved out to surround the main French army.

The French had no answer for this type of attack but still marched doggedly onward to reach my own infantry. One Frenchmen who did not make it was their general.
    Spoiler for Other Philip Dead
    Although both commanders were now dead, the rest of the infantry loyally followed orders and continued to press their ponderous attack despite the unending barrage descending upon them.

I don't think this was bravery so much as having no choice.

At last, what remained of the main French army made their way to my own line and a match of long pikes ensued.

My Swiss and Germans were veterans of this type of combat. Though they were greatly outnumbered, they gave not an inch and inflicted many more casualties than they took.

The freezing and arrow-bitten militia could make no impression against our mercenaries. I saw their resolve wavering and so I sent the elephants and heavy cavalry around to their rear to turn their faltering courage into a full blown panic.

The mere sight of my elephants proved too much for the French. These militia had done all they could and knew the battle was lost in spite of it. Now, it was time to try and save their own skin. The line cracked and then broke entirely.

The French flight for safety was only short-lived though as my horsemen swept through the ranks of the fleeing infantry and either killed or rounded up the entire lot.

Most of my casualties came in the brief battle of pikes although I lost another dozen or so of the Magyars when they errantly shot each other while surrounding the French. This wild arrow fire seems to be something that I cannot break them of. For some reason, they don't think this is a problem so much as simply the cost of war. Strange...

We took nearly as many prisoners as those killed outright in battle. Another lesson about the value of veterans over hastily called up militia.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    After consultations with Captain Maggiados and the other commanders, it was resolved to execute the prisoners just outside the city walls.

We were only halfway through the bloody process when a delegation, headed by the mayor, came out and offered to surrender the city to us without further bloodshed. It seemed a fair offer and one I accepted.

Since the city surrendered without a siege, I have ordered no looting. I think the men were somewhat disappointed but were still happy to be out of this terrible cold. The homes of the city were very warm indeed. There seems to be an especially large number of widows here who were only too happy to have our men and our gold.

Despite the hospitality of the city, I will not stay here long. Now that I have broken through the resistance along the Rhone, I will continue marching south when the weather permits. No sense in letting the French rest when I have them on the run.

- Efthymios.

The French are clearly in crisis and are throwing whatever forces they can cobble together in a desperate bid to stop us. It is sad to see so many armies of militia being slaughtered by our men. I know these men take their chances when they put on their armor but if the pace of this killing continues, who will be left to tend the fields and ply their trade when it is over?

I am also concerned that I have had no word from my cousin, Efsevia. She is somewhere in France and is cut off from communications. I have known her for her entire life and she was always such a gentle creature. I can only imagine the terrible things the French are doing to her after every one of our victories. I curse father for forcing her to marry that Frenchmen Evrart in the first place; thus condemning her to some terrible fate at the hands of our enemy. He should have known the French would stab us in the back. Now, Efsevia is just another casualty of war.

I am told by some second-hand sources that the French had actually offered some time back to return Efsevia and end the war. Vasileios did not even hesitate, he simply burned the letter without comment. How callous he is even towards his own children! I wonder what Efthymios would say if he learned that his own father turned his back on his sister without a second thought? Perhaps I should tell him...

While it seems our men in France have the war under control, our soldiers in Africa are still slogging it out along the desolate coast as they continue their slow advance. We have had but one report from them this year and it came from Isidoros. He has met a large Spanish army in some nameless stretch of scrub and fought a battle not far from Algiers.

Second Battle of Algiers - June, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Algiers

From Battle Report Filed by General Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

I left behind Algiers some months back. The going is slow along the coast of the Africa. The terrain is difficult, the supplies are scarce, and the sun is brutal. If not for the food and water ferried to us by our fleet, we would be in dire straits.

The Spanish have thrown up another of their veteran armies against us and I must bring them to battle to continue the advance. This army was particularly large and was well balanced with heavy cavalry, infantry, and missile troops.

Of particular concern was the large numbers of heavy cavalry. The enemy had four companies of veteran Knights as well as two companies of mounted Men-at-Arms and one of the light Jinetes. The rest of the army was composed of sword infantry and two companies of halberds. The enemy also had one company of crossbows as a counter to our mounted archers.

My army had received some reinforcements prior to my departure from Algiers. I must report that Lord Zinonas graciously loaned me some of his own forces so that I could continue while he awaits new levies in Algiers. This leaves us with only one full army but we had at least parity in numbers with the Spanish.

I was at a disadvantage to the Spanish when it came to cavalry as my four companies of Stratitotae were almost entirely new. To balance this somewhat, I still have my two companies of veteran mercenary Italians to go with my companies of Scholarii and Archontopoulai. My infantry is now a very mixed force with three companies of fresh Scutarii spearmen to go with my mercenary German pikes, Swiss pikes, Andalusian spearmen, and the precious Varangians. Critically, I now have three companies of Cavalarii horse archers and one company of mounted crossbowmen.

I came upon the Spanish as they were marching out of some hills. The bright sun made their armor glean an almost impossible white and yellow.

The Spanish responded quickly and soon turned to face our ranks.

I sent out my horse archers immediately in order to try and whittle down some of the Spanish advantage in heavy cavalry. We were aided by the broken terrain which caused the Spanish ranks to split their formation and separate out some of their companies.

The hills and my horse archers' swift ponies allowed us to get in excellent firing positions. As always, we concentrated our fire on their leadership and were rewarded when the Spanish captain went down under a hail of arrows.

Spoiler for Death Card
    The barrage of arrows "encouraged" the Spanish to leave their good position and bring the fight to us. We were now the ones on better terrain and the Spanish were the ones to advance in the blistering sun uphill to reach us.

Without their leadership, the Spanish came at us in a ragged formation and bled casualties under the constant bombardment of arrows. Even so, more than a thousand veteran soldiers were soon slamming into our lines. These were good soldiers and ones accustomed to fighting in this heat. They knew their trade and the fighting was close.

The Spanish were close to pushing us off the hill until my light cavalry completed their sweep around the flanks and came hammering into the rear of their formation.

Being attacked from both sides proved too much even for these veteran soldiers. The line came apart in moments and whole companies simply surrendered on the spot. Many others fled as fast as their feet would carry them.

My horsemen now had the bit in their teeth and surged forward in a mad pursuit of both foot soldiers and cavalry. My men rounded up hundreds of prisoners.

Even the oh-so-proud Spanish knights realized the battle was lost and made full speed for the relative safety of the same hills they had marched out of barely an hour ago.

Despite my misgivings at the start of the battle, this proved to be one of our easier tests. I lost about a tenth of my army. The Spanish lost everyone.

We took many prisoners who were worth a very tidy sum.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    As much as I would have liked to give the gold to the men, I could not risk letting the Spanish pay it. We are far too exposed and have precious little in the way of reinforcements headed our way. So, with some regret, I ordered the entire lot executed.

The men were a bit reluctant to execute these prisoners and so lose the potential bounty. In order to break the deadlock, I had to take the first few heads myself and offer a small sum from my own purse to see the rest of the deed done.

At least my men know we won't have to face these same Spaniards again.

I am sure Lord Zinonas has already voiced these concerns but we will need more men if we wish to continue this attack. Our soldiers have worked wonders up to this point but this continuous drain in casualties must be replaced (and soon) or the offensive will have to stop entirely. The Spanish are very strong and every step we take to the west brings us closer to their base of support and fresh enemies to face.

We could use a little more gold as well. These provinces are quite poor and the men have not been paid in months.

Despite all this, I am loyal to your orders and will continue west. I don't know what we will find but my men have not let me down yet. I will try to do the same for you.

Your loyal servant,
    - Isidoros.

Although I agree with the Emperor's "France First" policy, it is having a bad effect on the men in Africa. The Spanish are clearly the stronger foe and it has only been the battlefield wizardry of Isidoros that has allowed the offensive to continue at all. Something must be done to aid them, I am just not sure what it could be. They are at the very end of our supply lines and even troops raised and trained in Africa must march months along the coast to reach them. It is a difficult situation to say the least.

I will credit our Emperor on one point, though. He has finally flexed the might of our fleets and laid in blockades all along the Mediterranean side of the Spanish peninsula as well as finally stopping Spanish movement through the Pillars of Hercules.
    Spoiler for Naval Blockade

The blockades will cripple the Spanish financially and, hopefully, stymie their efforts at reinforcing from the north. At least now our men in Africa will only have to deal with those already in place and not more reinforcements from Iberia.

Now that all the reports from the Western Front have been dealt with, I can turn my attention to some of the events on the other side of our world and the campaigns in the East. The most momentous news comes from General Ioannis. It has been quite a while since the court was graced with one of his reports and he has made it worthwhile.

At long last, he's moved against the last bastion of our old enemy - the Persians. We have fought against them for decades and lost thousands in the process. Indeed, it was my father that first struck a blow against them and checked their westward advance before he finished off the Turks. Perhaps now, at long last, this particular war can be over.

Battle of Al-Mu'miniya - July, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Al-Mu-miniya

From Battle Report Filed by General Ioannis "the Conqueror" Aprinos to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

At the insistence of Lord Genessios, I have spent the past two years settling our new provinces in Persia. I will confess that this interlude in governorship was not to my liking. However, it did allow me sufficient time to gather the troops and ships necessary for the final assault against my old enemy, the Persians. After more than two decades of constant warfare, I have finally tracked them down to their last wretched holding along the southern coast of the Persian Arabian Gulf.

Taking ship across the narrow sea was a relatively easy task and we met no opposition despite the large Persian naval presence in the area. I am told that the Persian fleets have not been paid in years and have resorted to piracy and raids along the coast in order to fill their bellies and their pockets. Their preoccupation with plunder allowed us to make the crossing without incident and I established a base of operations along the coast which allowed me to make the push inland.

My delay in the former Persian territories allowed our spies to thoroughly infiltrate the city and I had detailed reports on the composition of the garrison as well as what passes for the Persian aristocracy that commands them.

The garrison was almost entirely composed of halberd militia and spearmen. They also had one company of renegade Turkish archers and a few Kurdish javilenmen.

The city was certainly not lacking in leadership. In fact, they had an overabundance of it...and what a rancid collection it was.

The garrison of the city is under the command of their latest ruler, Shah Cenab.

Cenab had no royal birth but simply held the distinction of being the most experienced of the generals left who still laid claim to the title of Persian. If this had been twenty years earlier, Cenab would have been a minor captain in the Persian army. Now, he "rules" them.

The rest of what remained of the Persian leadership were similarly ensconced in this arid hole of a city; including the garrison's second in command, Shahzade Nuh.

He was another nobody brought to this lofty title through attrition. I also understand that he was known for his exceptional abilities to torture to death commoners and prisoners.

The final "noble" in the city was named Pertev Yemeni.

This adolescent was the orphan son of some other dead Persian noble and had just begun his path into manhood. In light of his birth, he took the lofty title of Lord High Chancellor.

In addition to the garrison, there was a small detachment of mercenaries just outside the city.

They were nothing more than one unit of Saracens and some Bedouin cavalry and camel archers. I am not sure why they were camped outside of the city. Perhaps they preferred to stay outside the city to avoid the stench or maybe the Persian leadership just did not trust them to mix with the civilians?

For my own forces, I had used my time as an administrator well and recruited some excellent infantry to add to my veteran cavalry.

The veterans of my army consisted of two companies of Stratiotae, one of heavy Pronarii, one of Cavalarii, and two of Turkish horse archers. The new infantry consisted of five companies of Scutarii spearmen and two of heavy Roman spearmen. I also had a decent ranged contingent with two companies of Turkish archers to add to my one company of Roman archers. Most importantly, I had one company of Mercenary Elephants. These beasts had been my nemesis in the past and I was quite glad to have them on my side for this final battle.

I offered battle to the Persians just outside the city in some surprisingly green fields. I was very gladdened when they rose to the challenge.

The first formation that I set upon was the contingent of mercenaries who roused themselves from their camp to present formed ranks.

The garrison was soon in battle formation and moving to link up with their mercenaries.

Given the paucity of spearmen in the ranks of the mercenaries, I decided to deal with them quickly by leading the cavalry and elephants to trample them where they stood.

Their commander was one of the first to fall under the attack.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    His men quickly routed and ran as fast as their mounts would carry them. I let the Stratiotae escort them off the battlefield.

As my cavalry moved back to join the infantry, the youngest Persian general, Pertev, led what can only be described as a suicidal charge against my formed spearmen.

I think this youth had been brought up on too many stories of past Persian glory. The reality of combat was somewhat different. Here, he had to face real men and not the petty characters of his story books. After seeing his bodyguard fall in droves around him, poor Pertev's own horse was killed out from underneath him. As he wallowed in the muck trying to stand in his heavy armor, one of my men took pity on him (or lusted after his ransom) and carried the lad back to the rear as our prisoner.
    Spoiler for Pertev Captured
    Not long after Pertev was captured, I led my own bodyguard and the Pronarii against his fellow commander, Nuh. This man at least displayed some courage and died fighting.

Spoiler for Nuh Killed
    The only Persian leader still left on the field was the erstwhile Shah, Cenab. My Cavalarii did their best to end his life with arrow fire and did succeed in killing almost his entire bodyguard.

However, Cenab had much better armor than his men and he stubbornly refused to fall even under a veritable deluge of arrows.

My elephant riders had had enough of this inconclusive ranged battle and charged down on Cenab accompanied by the crack of their guns and the blare of their mounts.

Cenab died after he and his mount were crushed under the hooves of no less than five elephants. There was very little left of him except for some mangled flesh and dented armor.
    Spoiler for Cenab Killed
    The remainder of garrison put up a decent fight and did manage to inflict some casualties. Some of them were veterans and died hard. I think they knew that we would have no mercy on them should they surrender. Despite their bravery, the outcome was never in any doubt.

The rest of the militia were not so stout and surrendered after a brief fight.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    I considered for a moment about what to do with young Pertev. He was now the last noble of the Persians left alive. I could have enforced vassalage on him but what would have been the point? Their once-mighty empire was no more and, according to the dictates of my former master's will, they must be destroyed.

I informed young Pertev that he was now Shah. I let that sink in for a moment and then informed him that, as Shah, he had to answer for the many sins of his former empire. As such, I killed him myself. I thought it more than fitting that after all these years of warfare, the last ruler of the Persians should be killed by my hand.

For the rest of the prisoners, since there was no one of any rank to ransom the prisoners to, I had them all executed. I trust these will be the last Persian soldiers I have to kill.

Somewhat to my dismay, the populace of the city has taken up arms in a last ditch defense of their city and their religion. My spies say it is a motley bunch and not worthy of any note.
    Spoiler for Report

I plan to attack immediately before they can put together a real defense.

- Ioannis.
    After so many years of fighting, Ioannis has finally ended the Persian Empire once and for all. He, more than any other, is responsible for this triumph and is (finally) deserving of the praise he has always lusted after.

True to his word, Ioannis launched his attack on the now-independent city with barely a pause. It was a simple battle but one I feel duty-bound to relate.

Assault on Al-Mu'miniya - August, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Assault on Al-Mu'minya

From Battle Report Filed by General Ioannis "the Conqueror" Aprinos to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

After a short rest following the destruction of the Persian army, I turned my army on the populace of what was once the last Persian capitol. The citizens had managed to throw together some forces but as I had stated before, they did not amount to much.

They were just a collection of militia and some Bedouin nomads. The only company worthy of note was some horse archers (which, I may add, are virtually worthless in the defense of a city).

I reorganized my forces and brought in an additional three companies of Roman heavy infantry to help with the assault. In most other ways, my forces were unchanged.

Some of my Scutarii and heavy spearmen companies had suffered some losses in the last battle but all were more than up for the challenge of taking the city and reaping the rewards of conquest.

My spies had not only accurately reported the preparations of the city in the defense but had also managed to bribe the gate guards for us.
    Spoiler for Gates Opened
    I positioned the bulk of the army as well as the bombards facing the southern gates to direct the attention of the militia away from the real attack. Our main assault would utilize the compromised gates and attack from the east.

I had the cannon open fire to rally the militia to the southern gate and then personally led my cavalry and elephants through the undefended eastern portal.

We swept through unchallenged and soon were running through the abandoned streets to flank the militia. At my signal, the bombards ceased fire and my infantry charged forward to the equally compromised southern gates.

The militia soon realized their predicament and tried to rally back in the city square. However, the elephants were too fast for them and met them in the narrow streets before they could reach the square.

My spearmen were not too far behind and the militia were crushed between my infantry and my angry elephants. To say this was a short fight would be an understatement.

My light cavalry also caught a few companies of peasants and had an easy time cutting them to pieces.

By this time, the militia had but one thought - to flee as fast as they could. The Bedouins and the horse archers put up even less resistance than the militia and fell to the charge of my infantry and my own bodyguard.

In short order, virtually nothing of the garrison remained. What had just a few minutes before been formed companies were now just frightened men running in every direction.

It was a decidedly easy victory - just as I had predicted.

The city is ours and I have let my men "off the leash" in order to enjoy the spoils of this last battle in the former capitol of the Persians.

My men are overjoyed that the Persians have been destroyed and are putting on quite a party at the expense of their former subjects.

This is all well and good but I do not intend to remain. I have followed with great interest the reports coming from the West. It seems these Frenchmen and Spaniards have been giving our boys quite a fight. Since there is nothing left for me to do here, I intend to march forthwith to join our forces in the West.

I trust you will approve.

- Ioannis.

I see the past years have not taught Ioannis either humility or restraint. I find it rather presumptive that he would simply leave the East without permission, but that is in keeping with his character.

My sources in the Imperial Secretariat have informed me that this was not the only letter that Ioannis sent to Emperor Vasileios. I also hear that he has sent a letter pledging his personal loyalty to Vasileios in return for a command in the West. Ioannis always chafed under Genessios and Vitos, feeling that he was overshadowed by their accomplishments. I think this is his way of turning his back on both my brother and husband in the quest for personal glory and wealth.

I pity Efthymios trying to keep this rogue under control when he does reach them. Still, that is some ways off. Traveling from one side of the Empire to the other is no longer an easy process. I predict it will take several seasons before we hear from Ioannis again.

I can wait.

For all the relief that the end of the Persians has brought, the greatest news from the East comes not from Ioannis but from Genessios. He has joined up with Vitos at Khiva and leapfrogged forward to attack the forces around Urgench.

I believe he is attempting to end the Crusade before the Catholics have even reached the Mongols!

Battle of Urgench - August, 1547 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Urgench

From Battle Report Filed by Genessios Aprinos Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1547 AD.

I have decided not to await the Catholic reinforcements who have been rallied to our cause. As Lord Vitos has already pointed out, we have no need of their assistance and I intended to demonstrate that.

The forces around Urgench were very substantial and outnumbered us by a wide margin. However, we had faced much longer odds and always came out victorious. I was confident that this would be the same.

The main Mongol army was camped just outside the city.

They had seven companies of Mongol infantry who could fight with either sword or bow. The rest of the infantry consisted of but two companies of Mongol spearmen. The Mongol cavalry were, as ever, also strong with two companies of the Khan's Guard, two of Light Lancers, and three of Heavy Horse Archers.

The garrison of the city was under the command of none other than the Khan himself.

They had two more companies of Mongol archers as well as one company of heavy spearmen and one of heavy horse archers.

Our old foe, Khan Kaiblis "the Horseman" led them.

He had a mighty reputation as a battle leader - which, of course, is the reason they had made him Khan in the first place. I was here to put that reputation to the test.

My army had been augmented by some of Lord Vitos's forces and we were prepared for battle.

We were cavalry heavy - as suited to this open plains warfare. I had six companies of Stratiotae, two of Cavalarii horse archers, five of Turkish horse archers, and one half-strength company of Armenian heavy cavalry. I also had three companies of Scutarii spearmen and, most welcome, a full company of mercenary war elephants.

The Mongols took up our challenge and formed up in a very long line - infantry in the center and cavalry on the wings.

I formed my men in a similar fashion.

The main difference is that instead of having the horse archers on the far flanks, I put the Stratiotae on the edges with the horse archers in close support of my infantry. My plan was to fix the Mongols on the infantry and horse archers and then bring my light cavalry crashing down on either flank and so squeeze the Mongols together where they could not flee and we could fight them in close order.

While my light cavalry were ranging forward on the far flanks, the battle began with the standard exchange of fire between our respective horse archers.

The Mongols are renowned for their skill with the bow but my men were experts, too. It was a well-matched duel but we took the upper hand as the Mongol foot archers were slow to deploy.

As soon as my light cavalry were in place, I sent the signal and we charged forward. I led the three companies of Stratitotae with me while the elephants took lead with three companies in tow behind them. We were soon rewarded for this tactic when our lead elements came smashing down on the confused Mongol infantry.

The elephants were able to catch some of the Mongol horse archers and soon were trampling them under hoof.

My infantry now sprang forward in their own attack and their spears joined the lances of the cavalry in slaying the Mongols.

The dust kicked up by the hundreds of footfalls made the combat confused and breathing difficult. In short, what had once been the center of the Mongol formation was now nothing but chaos and death.

The Mongols tried to disengage and get some distance for their bows but everywhere they turned, they met the charge of my cavalry.

We slew with abandon all we could find. Some of the Mongols simply did not know which way to turn and we were able to skewer more than a few in the back.

The Mongol captain was one of the first victims of this combined attack and fell under the hooves of my horsemen.

Spoiler for Death Card
    Kaiblis saw what was happening to the field army and spurred his horse forward to try and assist them. My mercenary war elephants saw his approach and, turning their backs on the infantry slaughter, charged against him.

The Mongols were tough soldiers but they could not resist the attack of the elephants. It was simple physics - even a half-ton horse in armor is no match for a multi-ton elephant.

Khan Kaiblis was not known to be a coward but he could see this fight was lost. He gave the order for a general retreat and was soon speeding away from the battlefield!

I led the pursuit personally with some of my horse archers close behind.

The Mongols were fast but not quite fast enough. Kaiblis's mount was slowed by a couple of arrows stuck in its rump and he was overtaken by my men. He died there on the plains with an arrow in the back and a lance through his chest.

Spoiler for Death Card
    It was unfortunate that Kaiblis gave the order to retreat so soon. It allowed several of his companies to flee before we could catch them.

My men pursued closely but more than two hundred made good their escape. The rest didn't.

We took over 400 prisoners in addition to the head of the Khan.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    Given that the next stage of this campaign is an assault on Urgench, I could not allow a ransom. They were all executed in sight of the city walls. I had hoped this display of terror would compel the city's leadership to open the gates and forgo an attack.

Unfortunately, it did not. The 200+ survivors of this battle have locked the city gates and are rallying more men to their cause.

Although my men are bloodied and tired from this battle, I have set them to starting siege works around the city. What few are left in the garrison will have to wait for another day.

I hope this latest victory demonstrates, yet again, that we need no help from the Catholics. The city will soon be ours.

Please call off this Catholic insanity before something unfortunate happens.

- Lord Genessios.
    Genessios has won a great victory and killed the leader of the Mongols!

Despite this success, Emperor Vasileios has refused to issue an order to the Pope to cancel the Crusade. He seems even more determined than ever to force the Catholics to the East and so upstage Vitos and Genessios.

Vasileios seems to want to force the issue and put the matter to a test of wills. Will Genessios and Vitos defy him and take the city or will they step aside for the Catholics? Time will tell but the subsequent reports show that Genessios has gone ahead and thrown up siege lines around Urgench.

If the Catholics still wish to take the city themselves, they will have to fight through Roman soldiers to do it.

Vasileios is following these events closely and has a whole host of agents employed to both update him on the progress of the Catholic armies as well as the progress of his own soldiers. Is the Guildmaster of Assassins Ktenas not far off?

This has been another great year for Roman arms. We have destroyed an old enemy, the Persians/Khwarezm Empire.

We have also killed the leader of the last remaining Muslim power.

However great these successes are, I am as worried about the war in the East as I have been in years. Will this be the start of a rebellion or will Vitos and Genessios bend to the Emperor's will?

I am not sure what will happen at Urgench but I fear it will not end well.

- Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis.

The world as we know it - 1547 AD.

The world as it really is - 1547 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; October 04, 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/22)

Nice!
    Now you must take Oman.
    Miss me yet?

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/22)

Excellent update! And you have quite a few amazing battle pictures!
    You never fail to deliver.

not sure it it's intentional, but the dusty sort of effect makes it look quite film like
    Last edited by LukeMurgatroyd; September 22, 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Desley's Avatar Praefectus

Great update as always! But what I don't like is that you win your battles so easy.. Every time i click on a spoiler for a battle I know it will be another major or heroic victory..

I still think your AAR is great though
    Will and act until victory

Quote Originally Posted by LukeMurgatroyd View Post

not sure it it's intentional, but the dusty sort of effect makes it look quite film like
    Actually this was my favorite picture.