Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire **COMPLETE** (With Compilation)

Default Chapter 8 - Decision and Destiny

Chapter 8 – Decision and Destiny (1545 AD)

The defeat of the twin invasions of France and Spain has given the Empire the time to consider what will be the next step in our western provinces. Though the allied powers have been thrown back, they are far from broken.

The Spanish are secure in their Iberian base with their Portuguese vassals. Despite their recent losses, they still have vast numbers of troops in Africa and more coming every day. The French are more vulnerable but are still a formidable threat and will be fighting for their ancestral lands and with interior lines of communication and supply.

Emperor Vasileios has been in consultations with the Council for the past several days. I am told there is tension in the Council over whether we should continue the wars at all. The "War Party" is by far the strongest. They have seen the material benefits of our conquests and are accruing untold wealth unto themselves through land grants (or, more aptly, land seizures), trading rights, and new taxes.

However, there is now a significant “Peace Party” in the Council. They hold that the pace of our conquests cannot continue. What the original Roman Empire did in many centuries, the newly Restored Roman Empire has done in only a few decades. How stable are these conquests? How secure is our hold over the new subjects?

Many of the peoples recently conquered have not been a part of the Roman Empire for centuries. In the east, they have never been. So many ethnic groups, religions, and interests have been put under Roman rule that they country is threatening to be torn asunder from within. Without Skantarios, there is no one of sufficient prestige to bind them all together. They also note that the core of the Army, the Greeks and the Balkan companies, are making up a smaller and smaller percentage of the troops. The loyalty of some of these new men recruited from the east and west is questionable at best.

Beyond that, the country is simply tired of war. So many sons lost, so much treasure expended. Perhaps it would be better to trade some land for peace and give the country time to assimilate the conquests and usher in some stability?

These are important questions but we must also consider the momentum of conquest. Should we stop now; will we be able to regain it? Will our enemies use the respite to marshal their own forces, forge alliances, and push us back?

The decision by Vasileios is a weighty one and has been eagerly anticipated for some weeks. All the forces in the West are holding for orders and it is fair to say that the entire country is holding their collective breath as to what will happen.

I recount now the speech given by Emperor Vasileios to the Council and the Imperial Administration. I was in attendance at the speech as the official Imperial Historian and have recorded it for posterity.

Spoiler for Speech of Emperor Vasileios

From Speech delivered by Emperor Vasileios Laskaris in the Imperial Palace of Constantinople, March 20th, 1545 AD.

"Fellow Romans, I come to you today with a decision that has weighed upon me greatly these past few weeks. You have all followed the news from the West and East and have pondered greatly over what it means. In the West, I am proud to say that the invasions of the Spanish and the French have been crushed and the territory lost in their initial assaults has been reclaimed and more. In the East, the Muslims are on the run and our generals pursue them to the ends of the earth to destroy that heresy once and for all. Our armies fight valiantly for the Empire and have been successful despite terrible odds and being far from home. I am honored that my own sons lead these forces and share the burdens of war with your own sons, brothers, and fathers. We have much to be thankful for but also much to be worried over.

"There is not much debate as to how to proceed against the Muslims in the East. The campaigns that claimed the lives of my father and brother are nearly over and it would not be prudent to stop now when we are so close to ultimate victory. Lords Vitos and Genessios, as well as General Ioannis, have won great victories against the heathens and assure me that they will continue the offensive until none remain.

"However, I do not intend to have them continue this fight unaided. They have done much for the Empire and deserve whatever assistance we can provide. To that end, I have asked that the new Supreme Latin Pontiff join us today from Pisa.

"Pope Eugenius IV has come far to be here and he has not come empty handed. In consultations with me and Partiarch Spartnos, he has agreed to rally the Latins in the West to our cause in a long overdue unity of arms against the common foe. As the Mongol Empire is our most dire threat, he will call for a Crusade against their capital of Urgench and has assure me that his call will be well received. This combined offensive will speed the pace of conquest and shorten the time when the scourge of Islam is nothing but a memory. We welcome our Latin brothers to this fight and I have sent dispatches to both Lord Vitos and Lord Genessios to welcome them appropriately and coordinate our attacks with their commanders.

"The much larger question is what we will do about the war in the West. Many wise and noble men have counseled me to consider an offer of peace to the Spanish and French kings. They wish for peace in the West and to bring our armies home. These men are not cowards and have all given faithful service to the Empire and so I must consider their words carefully. The hope of peace is alluring to be sure. We have gained so much and there is so much to do to remake the Empire into what it once was. The expenditures of the Army are crushing and the lives lost are high.

"So, what are we to do?

"As always, I look to the example of my brother to show us the way. In his early campaigns, Skantarios cut a bloody swathe through Greece and Anatolia – sacking cities, burning mosques, and killing tens of thousands. However, barely a generation removed from those conquests and these same lands are blossoming. Decades of peace and reinvestment have caused the populations of our major cities to boom. Unrestricted trade flows and fills our coffers. Major construction is undertaken in all of our lands bringing more wealth, health, learning, and culture to the masses. The tax burden is light and the people are happy. Was not the death and devastation that brought the lands to this happy place worth it?

"Beyond all the material benefits, our honor demands that we make war on those who fight against us. Emperor Skantarios offered them an honorable peace and they spat it back in our faces. They were not content to allow us ownership of lands that by all rights should be ours. For what claim do the Spanish have upon Africa? By what rights do the French invade Italy – our ancestral home!

"These Catholics are no better than the Muslims. They have no honor. They want our lives and nothing less. There can be no peace as long as they are allowed the power to make war. So, we shall have to take it from them.

"I always scoffed at the quip that the Roman Empire conquered the world in self-defense. Now, I know the truth of it. When you have wealth, there are multitudes lining up to take it. If we leave them with even a little, they will want the whole thing. So, we must take from them everything and leave them with nothing. Such a brutal equation but this is the way of the world. No sense in fighting it, best just to embrace it.

"Therefore, we will continue the wars in the West as well as the holy campaign against the Muslims in the East. We will continue until the Roman Empire is restored in all of its glory and none are left to oppose us. These were the wishes of Skantarios and these are my orders today.

"Roma Victor!"

I believe it is unnecessary to say that the reaction in the court was overwhelmingly positive. The cheers lasted for many minutes and there were even a few tears of joy (real or pretend). I must also say that they were joined by more than a few tears of sadness (all genuine).

Vasileios clearly can make a fine speech but, upon reflection, the decision was never really in doubt. He really had no choice. The wars would continue with his blessing or without it.

Our new generals now have a genuine taste for battle. If Vasileios tried to stop them, I am sure they would conspire to find some loophole to continue fighting. If he tried to trade territory for peace, then our enemies would see this as weakness and only be emboldened to try and take back more territory (just as the Rus tried to do - and failed). If we take more land, then they will only have a greater grudge against us and fight all the harder. The stubborn intransigence of our enemies has conspired with the ambition of our generals to continue the wars.

Beyond these things, the legacy of Skantarios virtually ensured the continuance of war. We all still live in the shadow of Skantarios. His image is everywhere and his influence is pervasive. Skantarios said in his will that if the other nations would not accept his peace (and clearly the powers of Western Europe do not), then we must break them. These words are widely known and have become nearly holy writ. Vasileios would not dare go against them unless there was absolutely no choice - and the recent success in the West gives him that choice.

It is a great paradox when you consider the words of Skantarios and his final actions. Whereas his will was clear and uncontestable, it seemed at the end of his life, Skantarios was trying to bring the great wars to an end. Why else did he have the Pope issue cease fire declarations on the French and Spanish?

What he did not anticipate is that his wars are now self-perpetuating. We know we have the power and his generals and the people insist we use it. We take territory from the Latins and the Muslims, they fight back, so we take more territory – sack more cities, exterminate more armies, subjugate more thousands. This war has taken on a life of its own and we can only hold on and wait for whatever bloody end it brings. Only the force of Skantarios could stop it and he is gone. Vasileios does not have the influence and everyone knows it.

Still, the question remains. When will it stop? We know it must stop but where and when and how many will be lost before the final chapter is written? We have no answers, just more questions.

What is certain for now is that the attack against the French and Spanish will continue. More destruction, more death, more sacrifice.

More war.
    Last edited by Skantarios; September 08, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Default Chapter 9 - The Reconquest of the West Begins (1545)

Chapter 9 – The Reconquest of the West Begins (1545)

"If our rivals in the West and North won’t accept peace, then break them. If they won’t become our vassals then destroy them. Do not let pity cloud your judgment. Do not let their pleas silence your sword. We live in terrible times and so we must be terrible ourselves."
    - Last Will and Testament of Emperor Skantarios Laskaris, 1540 AD.

The reaction from the West has been swift. Within days of receiving the orders from Emperor Vasileios, our armies were on the march. Diadohos Efthymios has struck out from Staufen and is now on the march to his next conquest. General Kalamodios has moved north and taken over the citadel in Efthymios's absence and is readying his own invasion force to compliment Efthymios.

The reaction in Africa was somewhat different due to the power of the Spanish. Over the winter, they moved against Zinonas and now have him locked up in the small city of Beleb el Anab.

General Isidoros is said to be on the march to his relief and I expect to hear about the conclusion of that siege within days.

I must now talk about the truly unexpected piece of news from Vasileios's speech. Seemingly lost in the text was the incredible news that the new pontiff, Pope Eugenius IV, is calling a Crusade in our favor! It seemed impossible to believe at first but all the reports coming from our spies, diplomats, and merchants confirm it. After a flurry of sermons in several of the Western capitols by Eugenius and his Cardinals, the major Catholic powers have not only accepted the call but have done so with vigor. Amid much pageantry and flowery speeches, a multitude of Catholic powers have set off for the far away East.
    Spoiler for Crusade

At the lead of these nations are our long-time allies, the Hungarians. Rather more surprising is the zeal with which it has been taken up by our enemies, the French and the Spanish. In fact, it seems the entire Western world is now at war with the Mongols.
    Spoiler for Diplomatic Report
    I am truly astounded that Vasileios would take such a risky chance with the Catholic nations. If the Crusades in the time of Emperor Aleksios taught us anything it is that these Catholics have a mind of their own and do not care a whit about the sanctity of Orthodox lands. Even worse is the example of the accursed Fourth Crusade that nearly destroyed our nation entirely. To revisit this form of religious war in our own time borders on the reckless at best and insanity at worst.

That said, I must objectively say that the benefits of this action would seem to outweigh the negatives. On the one hand, this Crusade will bring a huge number of soldiers to the Far East which will serve to bolster our own assault on the Muslims. More importantly, it will also greatly reduce the forces of our enemies as we embark on a conquest of their lands. More cynically, I must also point out the added prestige Vasileios (and his pet Pope) will gain by calling these nations to arms. By having a Crusade called in our favor, Vasileios is showing his power over the Pope and, by extension, his power over the Catholic nations as a whole.

On the other hand, this is a truly dangerous game our Emperor is playing. These same armies that are leaving the West must march through our own territory in order to reach the lands of the Mongols. I doubt they will do so peacefully but will most likely loot their way from township to township until they reach their destination. Vasileios seems to have done his best to minimize this danger by closing all the crossings from Europe to Anatolia which will force them to take the long route through the territories north of the Black Sea. With luck, the most devastation will come in the territory of Novgorod and spare our own peaceful villages.

Still, this seems an unnecessary move at a time when our own forces are strong and our enemies are weak.

I do not know what the reaction will be from our forces in the East when they hear of this. I have received no word from either my husband, Lord Vitos, or my brother, Lord Genessios. Will they be pleased with the reinforcements or will they take this as a slap in the face of their abilities? I hope to hear word back from them soon as the Eastern Theater has been quiet for some time. I trust they are just gathering their strength for the last push against the Mongols.

Where there has been plenty of action, though, is in the West. The forces of Diadohos Efthymios have departed Staufen for Metz but have had to clear away some French forces in their way.

Second Battle of Staufen - October, 1545 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Staufen

From Battle Report Filed by Diadohos Efthymios Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1545 AD.

The delay in receiving our orders from Constantinople has caused us to dither away the summer. An early winter has descended in France and now we must move through the snows. This has slowed our movement and increased our suffering but all realize that we now have the initiative and we must not relinquish it.

We had moved no more than a few miles when we stumbled upon a small French army. It seems the French are desperately throwing whatever forces at hand in our path in order to blunt the impetus of our assault. Although we consider these nothing more than delaying tactics, we must still deal with them or have our communications and supply lines cut.

The French "army" consisted of nothing more than some hastily formed militia.

They are well armed and armored but their ragged ranks and choice of terrain show that they are more suited to working the fields than fighting a battle.

The army I have brought with me still has some of the core of the old Imperial Army but I have been forced to send some of the veteran companies away to replenish their ranks after the push through the Alps.

The veterans I have with me are comprised of one company of the mighty Scholarii heavy cavalry, one of the Stratiotae light cavalry, three companies of Cavalarii horse archers, and the mercenary elephants. We have received a new levy of Magyar horse archers which brings our total up to five full companies but only one veteran unit which has taken on the role of mentor for these fierce, but undisciplined, warriors. We also have a large contingent of mercenaries represented by the two Swiss infantry companies, one of German heavy cavalry, and one of Serbian light cavalry. I have three units of bombards and one of Mangonels in order to blast my way into Metz.

This was not much of a battle. I guess the more apt description would be an execution. The French were formed up on bad terrain and had nowhere to run when my cavalry came upon them. My horse archers, especially the new Magyars, were in need of some target practice so I unleashed them upon the hapless French infantry.

Our horsemen soon had the French surrounded. Their armor was very fine but even the expensive plate they wore could not withstand the constant bombardment descending on them from all sides.

From my vantage point, I could see the French captain get impaled on a dozen arrows.

The poor man stood absolutely no chance.
    Spoiler for Captain Killed
    The French did not lack courage. Despite their losses, they continued grimly on. I reluctantly gave the order for my bombards to unlimber and load grape shot. As soon as the French were in range, they opened fire.

What few were alive after the first blast threw down their arms and ran.

The French were completely wiped out and we took only a few prisoners.

My only losses came from the errant fire of my Magyars. When I attempted to reprimand them for their wild firing, they seemed to merely shrug it off as the cost of battle. Their disdain for death, even their own, is striking.

With this small engagement over, I have continued on my course to the mighty fortress of Metz.

- Efthymios.

The ease of Efthymios's victory against this small French force seems almost too good to be true. If this is all that the French king can throw in our way, then they must be tottering on the edge of collapse. Still, the sacrifice of those men has bought some time for the French to muster more powerful forces. Perhaps they are just trading territory and men for time and hoping for us to overextend?

The next report from Efthymios shows that the sacrifice of these 400 Frenchmen has only bought precious little of that time, he has already arrived and moved directly to the assault.

Assault on Metz - November, 1545 AD.

Spoiler for Assault on Metz

From Battle Report Filed by Diadohos Efthymios Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1545 AD.

We encountered no more resistance during our march to Staufen. Our greatest hindrance was all the artillery we brought with us. Moving these cannon through the snows was difficult and now the trouble we had was about to pay off. With all this artillery, I had no need to assemble siege equipment and so moved directly to the attack as soon as the guns were ready.

The French garrison was quite small for so important a fortress. It seems the garrison was sent south during the initial invasion and the French king has been remiss in replenishing it.

The garrison was nothing more than two companies of Voulgier militia and a few horsemen.

The governor of the fortress was one Eustache de Gael.

He was but a minor noble who was known for the twin virtues of loyalty and military acumen.

Our army was unchanged from the previous battle.

The only difference was that we had a few less Magyars.

The guns rolled up to the walls and started a powerful bombardment.

The walls were no match for the combined fire of my artillery and we soon had a breach I could send my men through.

The French were taken by surprise and were scrambling to mount something like a real defense. The two companies of Voulgiers seem to have lost their way back to the inner defenses and we formed up to meet them.

My cannons were now inside the walls and switched to grape shot. We were only able to get off a few rounds before the militia decided that this was a fight they had no hope of winning.

Their hesitation, however, was to our advantage. My Magyars sprang forward and surrounded them and then commenced their own brand of bombardment.

These horsemen may be wild and undisciplined but they are decidedly deadly. The militia went down by the score until only a precious few remained.

That numbered dwindled to nothing as even those who had thrown down their arms in retreat were cut down without mercy.

My cannons now switched back to normal stone balls and soon had blasted a path for us into the inner defenses. Eustache had made no move to come out to fight us so we decided to come in and force the issue.

My men formed up as in the assault of Staufen. We surrounded the square and brought all of our pikemen and artillery to bear.

I gave Eustache the option of surrendering but he stayed true to his reputation and refused. I did not bother to repeat my offer but merely gave the cannons the order to fire.

Hundreds of small steel balls ripped through the ranks of the French retainers and turned their fine armor and horses (as well as their bodies) into small chunks of flesh and metal.

It took only one round of fire from each of our cannon and all but three of the French (or what was left of them) lay dead in the square.

The three men who remained dismounted and threw themselves down at our feet. We accepted their surrender. Seeing so many men shredded by the cannons had fully sated our appetite for killing for one day.

It was another easy victory. Not that I am complaining. I hope they will all be this way.

Despite the ease of this conquest, I have allowed our men a full day of pillage and plunder. I want the French to feel the full fury of our assault so that there will be no question of rebellion when I depart.

And depart I shall as soon as the weather improves and I have received the scouting reports from further north.

- Efthymios.

Although Efythmios seems to be having an easy time of it against the French, our forces in Africa do not seem to be so lucky. Zinonas has been locked up in Beleb el Anab now for some months while the Spanish are constructing siege equipment. Fortunately for him, General Isidoros has made a quick march back from Al-Mahdiya and has attacked to lift the siege.

Relief of Beleb el Anab - September, 1545 AD.

Spoiler for Relief of Beleb el Anab

From Battle Report Filed by General Isidoros Petraliphas to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives - 1545 AD.

The powerful Spanish army encamped outside the city was fairly balanced but was overweighted in heavy infantry.

They had four companies of sword militia, two of Sword and Buckler men, one of pikes, and one of spears. For cavalry, they had one fully company of Feudal Knights, one of Men-at-Arms, and one of light Jinetes. They also had a small contingent of missiles with two reduced companies of archers.

They were led by a young Spanish dandy who went by just one name, Fernando.

I guess we were all supposed to know who this "Fernando" was despite his name being most common amongst the Iberians. He had made something of a name for himself during the campaign against the Moors. I understand it was because of equal parts skill with the army and his skill with the unattached ladies of Northern Africa.

My forces consisted of what I could bring with me from Al-Mahdiya and some troops I picked up in Tunis.

We were a mixed lot with Scutarii spears, Scutarii swords, Prussian spearmen, German pikemen, Swiss pikemen, and mercenary spears. For cavalry, I had one of the Scholarii companies of Skantarios's old army, one of newly raised Stratiotae light horse, and one of mounted crossbowmen. I also had one company of Roman archers.

My Lord Zinonas would lead his forces out in support as soon as my attack was launched.

His forces consisted of two companies of Scutarii spears, two of Scutarii swordsmen, one of Castropholikae heavy infantry, and one of the Varangian Guard. In support was one company of crossbows and one of the Siphonatores.

My men formed up on high ground overlooking the rear of Fernando's army.

We had the better terrain but did not have sufficient missiles just to bombard them from above.

Fortunately, Lord Zinonas deployed his men on cue and we now had the Spanish caught between our two forces.

The opening skirmish saw my mounted crossbowmen fighting a brief battle with the Spanish Jinetes. We had the better range although the Spanish horsemen were astonishingly fast and were able to close into javelin range.

Fernando did not wait for Lord Zinonas to hit him from the rear but charged straight at us with all his companies in tow. The going was hard in the hot sun and the uphill terrain but his men came on in good order as befitted their veteran status.

We took the initial impact but the Spanish had local superiority in numbers and our men were hard pressed to hold them back.

The Spanish Knights attempted to swing around our lines and strike us in the rear. I dealt with this threat personally.

My men fought on with vigor and determination and would not allow the Spanish to push us off the hill. We fought for time in order to allow Lord Zinonas to bring up his forces but he was still far away.

It was a stalemate. The Spanish could not push us off and we did not have the strength to drive them back. Unfortunately, this stalemate had a body count that was rising by the minute.

I decided to break this deadlock by charging against Fernando personally. I wanted to see if his skill in personal combat was the equal of his prowess in bed.

Our bodyguards fought fiercely against each other in a well-matched clash. I searched frantically for Fernando and finally found him amongst the scrum of dueling horsemen. He had already taken several blows from other men of my bodyguard so I cannot claim full credit. What I can claim was the final blow that sent him to Hell.
    Spoiler for Fernando Killed
    I wonder if the Devil will know him by just his first name?

With their general slain and the Spanish cavalry defeated, I ordered what few horsemen I had available to sweep around the flanks and charge into the rear of the Spanish lines.

I led the charge but was soon joined by dozens of my chargers.

The impetus of the charge into their rear combined with the loss of their general finally caused the Spanish to break. They were veterans but even they knew when the fight was lost.

The rout started in the center but soon spread to the flanks. In short order the entire force was running for their lives.

My light horsemen had a merry time running down the fleeing infantry.

It was a tough fight as attested by the 276 men I lost. Since Lord Zinonas was never able to get his men into the fight, these losses came exclusively from my army and amounted to roughly one quarter of my men.

We did take a substantial number of prisoners.
    Spoiler for Prisoners
    I did not begrudge these men the hard fight they had put up and so offered to Ransom them back to the Spanish.

Unfortunately for them, the Spanish governor of the area was not as impressed with them as I was and refused out of hand.

It's too bad to see some many veterans but down without honor.

I shall take what men I have left and continue on to Algiers. If I can take that fortress, I will have my base of operations for the future campaign into Western Africa. I have no idea what the remaining strength of the Spanish in the area is but I believe I shall find out soon.

- Isidoros.

The Spanish seem to have greater reserves of men than do the French. Even now, our naval officers report that the Spanish have mustered a powerful new army to retake the city of Oran that rebelled just last year.

The campaign in Africa is rapidly taking on the characteristics of the campaign of Skantarios in Eastern Anatolia when he fought the full might of the Egyptian field armies coming fresh off their victories over the Turks. Now, we are fighting the full might of the Spanish field armies as they are coming fresh off their victories over the Moors. Father described that campaign as a "meat grinder." I hope Isidoros and Efthymios meet with quicker success and at less cost.

While the military campaigns in Europe and Africa are going at fever pitch, the battles of diplomacy are also being "fought" with equal vigor.

The most momentous news deals with the alliances we have with Hungary and Novgorod. Late in this year, we received word that Novgorod has attempted to take advantage of Hungary's participation in the Crusade (and the loss of manpower it entailed) by launching an offensive against them!
    Spoiler for War Amongst Allies
    That Novgorod would callously take advantage of the situation to gain back some of their lost territories is not all that surprising. What is very surprising is that they would presume to do so against our chief ally.

Their actions left Vasileios no choice but to renounce our treaty of friendship with them in favor of Hungary.
    Spoiler for Alliance Ended
    I am told by some friends in the court that Vasileios actually considered for a time declaring in favor of Novgorod in order to use that as a pretext to make a land grab in Eastern Europe and expand the security zone around Constantinople. However, the long-standing treaty of friendship between our two peoples and the Hungarians irreproachable conduct dissuaded him from it. Also, I am sure a large part in the decision was the influence of his wife, the Hungarian Empress Judit. She is a quiet woman for the most part but I know that her calm demeanor hides an iron will underneath. I have no doubt that the safety of his own person in his bedchamber would have been forfeit had he sided against them.

Vasileios moved quickly, though, to shore up our treaties by establishing another alliance, this time with the Cumans.
    Spoiler for Cuman Alliance

For the price of some gold, he not only bought their friendship but also permission for us to move troops across their lands should the need arise (like in a war against Novgorod). This also has the added benefit of staying the hands of Novgorod against us. The Cumans are also their allies so they would have to break a treaty with them in order to make war on us; an unlikely (but still possible) proposition.

Vasileios is showing himself to be a daring politician. His acumen on the battlefield may be in question but his abilities in the audience chamber certainly are not.
    Spoiler for Alliance with Cumans

The person that I feel most sorry for in this whole messy situation is my sister, Theodosia. She is newly married to the Novgorodian heir, Lord Derzhislav, and has been wasting away in the frozen north in their capitol of Novgorod. Her sacrifice seemed worthy when it assured us of a stable northern frontier. Now that we have renounced the alliance, it seems practically pointless. I can only hope that she has more influence in the court of Novgorod than my cousin Efsevia had in the court of France in order to stave off war between our two peoples.

Finally, this last piece of diplomatic news has undone one more part of the "Peace of Skantarios." The only thing remaining is the vassalage of the Pope - and that is only a mixed blessing.

Thus ends the remarkable year of 1545. This year has brought victory in the field, the end of an old alliance, the beginning of a new one, and a Crusade in our favor. How strange is the world and how twisted is the machinations of those who wield power in it...

- Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis.

The world as we know it - 1545 AD.

The world as it really is - 1545 AD.
    Last edited by Skantarios; October 04, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/8)

A double post tonight. I've been away for a bit on some other business but have faithfully returned to see through the eventful year of 1545. The first post was to explain the state of the Empire and the decision to launch the conquest of the West which will make up the bulk of the story going forward. I've neglected the East for a time but will hopefully return to it shortly now that there is a Crusade to deal with and finishing off the Persians and started the conquest of the Mongols.

The Spanish are still very strong and there will be, I am sure, many more fights with them to come.

I've also neglected some of the reader feedback over the past few days and I intend to remedy that now. Belive me when I say that there is nothing I value more than the comments I receive but sometimes I am so busy when I am posting that I don't get to it in a timely manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Turkey Lord View Post
    I almost feel sorry for the Persians. As for what I expect, it has certainly delivered it so far.
    I'm afraid it isn't on par with the first one however.
    Why? Because of Skantarios' passing.
    I've probably mentioned it before, but you did an extraordinary job with him, fleshing him out to be such a legendary charcter, he really captured my heart.
    Thank you for your (too kind) words. I must confess that I, too, really miss the character of Skantarios...but it had to end eventually. Writing him and giving him true depth was very rewarding and I fear that I won't find another character like him again. I should also confess that it was really a toss-up for a long time whether I would continue with this campaign at all. The Romans are now in such a strong position that there seems to be a finality to it all. Still, the intrigue of a strong power and all the enemies nipping at their heels is another story that has value so I shall continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highi View Post
    Liked the reason you gave why the Pope couldn't excommunicate the Spanish. It's hard to explain that he is your lapdog but you can't let him do stuff.
    I hope this last post answers that to some extent. Having him declare a Crusade on the Spanish would have been great but this works, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Patriot View Post
    great update, usually I prefer reading about the Western conquests fighting the Spanish, Italians and French but that was most epic too. purely out of interest how big is your treasury?
    I believe at the end of this last update, the treasury stood at about 150,000. I could get it higher but I am maintaining a huge number of troops and the tax rate is set at "Low" throughout the Empire in order to keep the peace. It's enough for what I need to do and I expect it to go up very nicely in the near future.

@Valandur - Thank you so much. Having another author appreciate my work is very rewarding. I hope my future posts live up to your high praise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdytavern View Post
    By all means, please continue with the court intrique and it ads layers and even more depth to an already awesome story. Great update by the way. I like hearing about Vitos and Genessiose. Maybe when they are done with the east they can come to the west and rip it up.
    I have some ideas for what I want to do with them going forward. The only problem with moving them now is it takes so long to get from one side of the map to the other. Even with ships moving them and all kinds of bonuses, it takes years. It's a "game-ism" and a frustrating one. Don't worry, you will hear more about them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thokran View Post
    Good luck in the west though, the Franco-Spanish Alliance is looking tougher than ever with Skantarios out of the picture. Here's hoping that young Efthymios has what it takes to be the next Genessios or Vitos! P.S. I know it's three hundred years apart, but I couldn't help but pay homage to your AAR when I came across a certain Roman General named Skantarios Iagaris in my campaign. Though the Romans are my allies in game, I hope to expand upon him to give a broader spectrum of the international state of politics in the Middle East.
    Efthymios is off to a good start. Of course, it helps that he has more troops (and veteran ones at that) than Skantarios could ever dream of. I hadn't caught the reference in your AAR to Skantarios (my other reading has dropped off of late) but I just did. Awesome. I really appreciate it. Keep up your own fantastic work on the Makurian AAR. I meant what I said in the review, it is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkocento Prinos View Post
    i just got back on my computer after almost 3 weeks of inactivity.... first thing i looked for was this kickass bro! but everntually you will have nothing left to conquer wont you?
    Welcome back! Yes, we are soon to be bordering on the same problem of Alexander - no more worlds to conquer. I think I said this before but I intend on finishing this AAR when we have achieved the borders of the old Imperial Rome (circa Trajan).

@Radzeer - The late game dynamics can be a pain. Fortunately, the Spanish and French consolidated some very nice blocks of territory and some strong armies so there are still great battles to be fought.

@Karnage - Very happy to have you back with this AAR as well as posting to your own. I thought about a retrencment in Africa but I had enough forces available to turn things around fairly quickly. The Spanish are very strong there, though, and there are a great deal of battles to be fought. The Imperial Army are really great but the recruitment/retraining dynamics of the game keep conspiring against me to keep them together (e.g. - Scholarii have to go all the way back to Constantinople for reinforcement). I hope the passages written about Efthymios answered the questions about their loyalty, though. Those guys would have killed themselves for Skantarios and no one will have their loyalty like he did. However, Efthymios is off to a good start and at least he is both the future Emperor as well as a Laskaris.

@Maltacus - I can't speak for the Crusader states on the 1450 Campaign but the Byzantine one was very difficult in the beginning. The Turks were something like 10X stronger than the Romans and they were regularly replenished by the AI. Also, there were very few easy targets to strike at in the beginning but opportunities did present themselves. Oh yeah, there was a Jihad...As for the Egyptians, if you let them go for a while, they get very strong in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by barcamartin View Post
    Awesome update man! Some of the pictures from those battles are just, well, epic would be the right word I guess! Congratulations on crushing those vast and superior French armies! Good thing the AI walked right into your jaws. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by barcamartin View Post
    As always, you manage to put a believable and intriguing backstory into the game, and combined with your near professional writing skills and good hand with screenshots this AAR is living up to its predecessor, as is Efthymios!
    Keep up the extremely good work, and I'll keep up my extremely interested reading.
    I got a little lucky with the French but I had a feeling something like that would happen if I was close enough to entice them to attack. Fortunately, the terrain prevented more than two stacks attacking at any one time.
    my compliments to whoever created that signature.
    The credit for my new signature goes to
    Giovi. He's awesome. He did my signature from last time as well as the great final picture at the end of I am Skantarios! I really appreciate his help as his image skills far outshine my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    Oh and please conquer the rest of Arabia. It looks ugly on the map and you can disban troops in the region as a result.
    We're getting there. Movement dynamics are preventing easy conquest. Also, I have to ask this, what is the deal with the little crowns in your name? I see these sometimes but I have never thought to ask before.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySmurf View Post
    P.S. Did you photo-edit the night battle pictures? They seemed a bit off, but I haven't played Medieval II in a long time, so it might just be me.
    Yes, the night photos were edited. They really looked bad when I was putting it together so I tried my hand at a little improvement. The "auto-correct" did wonders and then I just added a little bit. I am no graphics artist by any stretch of the imagination and I don't usually mess with the screen shots outside of cropping them (too much work and not enough real skill or experience on my part) but I thought it necessary there.

Quote Originally Posted by melkor1861 View Post
    just..... Amazing. Easily the best AAR I have read so far. I've been keeping up with you since the middle of tghe first one, and I must say, you have never failed to disappoint!
    Thank you very much! Glad to have you following this one and I hope you will stay on to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeMurgatroyd View Post
    Just a suggestion, and i'm nowhere near as good a player as you are, but could a raid on spain could slow them down a little?
    I am seriously considering a raid against Spain in the same vein as the one I did to Egypt much earlier in this campaign. At the moment, I am somewhat constrained by the generals available (I won't spam with Captains for realism sake). It would be an effective tactic and they are definitely vulnerable for a sea raid given their poor navy and multiple port cities. When I can manage it, I will most likely go with a raid or with multiple invasions by sea. We'll see when I get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medkirtys View Post
    You're the best source of M2TW tactics, I've learned so much from you, i'm better twice than before reading your AAR's
    Thank you for the compliment! I like to try new things both for my own interest level and that of my readers. I have some definite stand-by tactics that I go back to (see the end of I am Skantarios for one of the standard tactics using horse archers and cavalry). One of the things I really love about this game is the endless variety of battles due to the terrain, force composition, and situations that you encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1988 View Post
    A great start to this AAR Skantarios, as we have all come to expect of you by now. Your screenshots also seem to me to be much improved, especially when compared to some of the earlier ones from "I am Skantarios". The ones from "The first Battle of Skantarium" seem particularly impressive to me. Keep it up. +rep
    Thanks! I am trying to do some graphics editing when I have the time to spruce up the screen shots. For that battle, I was almost forced to due to it being a night battle and the base images being so poor. I took the "autoadjust" function in my photo editor software and played around a little. I don't know how much I will continue to do that but the initial results seem to be quite well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Paternus Britannicus View Post
    well i just finished reading all of this and all i can say is you are awesome! this has got to be the best aar that i have read and i had to to sign up just to say how awesome it is!
    Thank you very much! I have said this before but it bears repeating. Having someone sign up just to comment on my AAR is probably the best compliment I could receive. I hope your experience in the forums is as positive as mine has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrider View Post
    How about try to make an alliance with the Portuguese? They can be helpful when it comes the time to invade Iberia and god knows that the Romans have so few friends.
    Unfortunately, the Portuguese are the vassals of Spain. Now that I am at war with their "lords", I am prevented from entering (or offering for that matter) an alliance with Portugal. It's one of those elements that I wish they didn't have as it would allow a lot more secret politics and backroom deals. So, I am out of luck with Portugal for the moment. Too bad as they have a lot of forces gathered in southern Spain that will surely come into play at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post
    I'd advise an alliance with Portugal if possible. I'd say deal with the Spanish first as they appear to be the stronger of the two now (considering how Efthymios just wiped out around 5000 French troops).
    However, how long do you think it'll take you to end the war on the Eastern Front? You have Gennessios (spelling), Ioannis (spelling) and Vitos with three armies fighting the pitiful remains of the Mongols and the Persians.
    How long will it take you to redeploy those three stacks to the western front? With them you could surely go on the offensive.
    See my comment above about Portugal. I would like to redeploy at least one of the Triumvirate of generals (Genessios/Vitos/Ioannis) and will do so with at least one of them. However, it takes *so* long to get them from one side of the map to the other (without cheating) that it doesn't make sense until they have finished their mission. They will come "home" at some point and then go on to the West assuming things go well with the Mongols. I think that is some ways off, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sternkrieg72 View Post
    I know you probably get this a lot Skantarios, but I truly love your AAR. This has helped inspire me to not only join TWCenter, but I'm contemplating starting my own AAR as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sternkrieg72 View Post
    The only thing I do dislike about your AAR is how good you are at the game. Even on Very Hard, you rarely lose a battle. That said, I understand that Skantarios was one of the best generals that ever lived. But are Genessios and Vitos that good as well? I understand you don't want to lose a battle, but for realism's sake, I can picture them losing at least one battle.

But of course, that's personal opinion. I understand if I'm completely undermining Genessios and Vitos's ability. But again, wonderful AAR Skantarios.
    Thank you. As said above, getting someone to join the forums just to comment on my AAR is probably my favorite type of compliment. The issue with losing the battles is a tricky one. I have gone throughout the game to this point by playing to the best of my abilities. Now, it is certainly a fair point that not all of them will be as good as the character Skantarios (who could be?) so it would be realistic for them to lose (or at least do badly) in a battle. I have lost a few and will most likely lose a few more before all is said and done. For the sake of reality in the AAR, I have tried to show that the reforms of Skantarios on the Roman arms and tactics have put them a step ahead of their rivals (just as the old Roman Empire was with the Legion) and they should win the majority of their fights. We'll see how things go and whether I will lose some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    there is certainly tension over here as well; i've been poring over your maps, skantarios, and may i make a deliciously byzantine machiavellian suggestion?
    gift the pope lands you'll eventually take from the french-i'm thinking marseilles or so, that'll compel the french to attack the papacy to reclaim their lands back, thus increasing the chances for the french getting excommunicated and having a crusade declared against them. cue catholic civil war, whilst Emperor Skanatarios the First of His Name looks on with grim approval in Valhalla

or if u dont want to do marseilles, i suggest Valencia, take it from the spanish in a lightning raid, and gift it to the pope; when or if the spanish attack you(you could place a unit next to the papal settlement of Valencia) or the pope, you get your catholic civil war
    LOVE IT! You are right, that is truly Machiavellian and something that I think our new Emperor is certainly capable of. Unfortunately, the AI superceded your suggestion with the Crusade against the Mongols. Maybe once that has played out, I can look to make the Pope work for me again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkocento Prinos View Post
    this is probably gonna be the the best Byzantine playthrough in history Starting off on VH/VH 1450 and now Walking in the Steps of Justinian! if only you had 1 province in spain there could be a huge connection to Justinians Conquest.......plus no Plague! the west is screwed! I love being a Greek!
    Thank you. I have been fortunate with plague for now. The scripted Black Death is in the past so I am only getting it here and there and not enough to effect the overall campaign. In reference to your most recent comment, I think we will see something of Vasileios quoting on his place in history as it stacks up against Justinian (or Trajan or even Caesar).

Goodness, the HRE sure is in a sorry state.
    Yes, the HRE is getting beaten up by a lot of rivals. They were so strong early and then they lost a little to me and then lost a lot to the French. They can't even conquer the rebel province at the heart of their reduced kingdom. Not sure what the problem is with them exactly except the power of the French. Now that the French are losing to me, maybe we will see a German resurgence.

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    Great updates as always and great progress. Seems that Efthymios is on the way to conquering France, though they have a lot more troops coming. Still, I can't help but think that Vasilios(sp?) is closer to Tiberius than Augustus. I wonder if his interference will lead to a disaster at some point. +rep Just a few corrections:
    Yes, Vasileios may be a Tiberius but perhaps not as depraved or reclusive. You will see the effects of his interference in some later updates (I have something in mind). Also, thanks for the corrections. I usually make the suggested corrections almost immediately even if I don't comment on them as quickly. I truly do appreciate the proofread as I hate it when I go back myself and find things. I think I need to hire an editor...

Thanks also to @NotYetRegistered, @Vaz, and anyone else I may have missed for your support and comments.

I am just like any other AAR writer in that the comments I receive (and rep but mostly the comments) really motivate me to continue on with the story and keep up with the quality. In fact, just knowing so many are reading it is the best reward I could get.

I hope my future efforts continue to be worthy of your time and support.

As always, thanks for reading!

[Note: apologies for the double-quotes above. The system does that to me all the time when I respond to comments and I don't know why. I put it in one way and then when I "Preview" it comes out as two (or more) quotes. It happens sometimes in my posts but not as often. Frustrating! If anyone knows how I can prevent this, I would *love* to hear it.]
    Last edited by Skantarios; September 09, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/8)

The pics this time around look so vivid and crisp! Get a new rig or did oyu change the settings or...?

As always, keep doin what you're doin!

Keeping up the high standard! Although I must admit I have stopped reading all through the battle reports, the campaign stories and the politics behind your actions still keep my interest! I mean, your battle reports are all very well made, the pics are awesome and I can tell you put a lot of effort into them, and I read the major ones. It's just that I'm personally more interested in the campaign map, both when reading and playing.

When playing, I always try to imagine the reasons and causes for my actions, aswell as the AI's. You are doing this in pretty much the same way in this AAR, and it's great. The fact that you got the Pope to "rally even your enemies to your aid" was awesome. ;D

Anyways, still doing a truly magnificent job, and I think I sent you an unsigned +rep.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

@Skantarios

Nice!
    And the crowns are somethin used by members of the http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=704.
    Miss me yet?

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Always good to be back my friend, how could I miss this next masterpiece in the making Great update my friend, it would seems you are up for another generation of warfare, the only difference now is the power of the Romans, at first, you had many enemies and barely enough strenght to fight them, now its the opposite and I see no reasons why the French or the Spaniards would be any different then the Turks or the Egyptians. But still, to be careful is to be wise, an upset may occur and an enemy force may surprise you as it once did in the past.

Although I doubt the French can pose any threat at this time, be weary in French land, they can attack from everywhere, as for Africa/Iberia, Africa I doubt you will have any problem, you still need to face hordes of enemy troops but it is pretty straight forward. As for Iberia. I strongly suggest a naval invasion of the eastern coasts.

Last but not least, the fact that both France and Spain entered the crusade, this also means some of their good forces will be away on this crusade, an advantage you should take advantage of. Take your time in the east, let those Latins come to you, beyond the reach of their beloved land and use your experienced generals in the east to keep an eye on them. But I confess, it will take time for those latin dogs to arrive.

In the end, the final decision is of course yours

On a personal note, now that I play the French in my AAR, I have mixed feelings about you butchering the French, But then again, my France is not yours and is not led by a King such as mine" King Michel is my own version of Skantarios in his own rights "

Keep up the good work my friend.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Very nice! "The shadow of Skantarios..." I like it a lot - you have a great talent creating the atmosphere.

Artifex

It was a stalemate. The French could not push us off and we did not have the strength to drive them back. Unfortunately, this stalemate had a body count that was rising by the minute.
    I think you accidently wrote "French" instead of "Spanish", unless the enemy turned out to be French wearing wrong uniforms?

@Maltacus - I can't speak for the Crusader states on the 1450 Campaign but the Byzantine one was very difficult in the beginning. The Turks were something like 10X stronger than the Romans and they were regularly replenished by the AI. Also, there were very few easy targets to strike at in the beginning but opportunities did present themselves. Oh yeah, there was a Jihad...As for the Egyptians, if you let them go for a while, they get very strong in a hurry.
    I know, I read your first AAR. Egypt get in trouble easily since they lack the scripted reinforcements of the Turks, which by all means are historically motivated. The Egyptians could really use stronger garrisons from the start though. The biggest difference in my opinion between the two campaigns is that crusaders start on islands, somewhat safe from turkish invasions. Would be interesting if one invaded Turkish Anatolia from the start instead of Judea...

Speaking of that, I have started an early crusader campaign where the Roman Empire for some rounds actually vassaled the pope! EPIC ai behaviour! They must have read your AAR .
    Last edited by Maltacus; September 08, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

ArkocentoArisen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

well i have to say something bad is gonna happen it might just be my paranoia but.....it seems to me that the empire is well surrounded France,Spain,Novgorod, even the dying Mongols[im surprised that makes any since where was Tamer lanes hordes huh?] some main character is gonna die at some battle because of an unexpected occurrence or Vasielos suddenly dies and the empire nears another civil war!.....just had to get that out of my system at this point with your expertise at this game plus your writing ability you wont.....no you Cant lose! but i have to admit im really waiting for that "Justinian i have surpassed Thee" quote by Vasielios it would really be the best Moment for Vasi [if it happens of course still no spain landings ]
    Last edited by ArkocentoArisen; September 10, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Look, Some words

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skantarios View Post

LOVE IT! You are right, that is truly Machiavellian and something that I think our new Emperor is certainly capable of. Unfortunately, the AI superceded your suggestion with the Crusade against the Mongols. Maybe once that has played out, I can look to make the Pope work for me again.
    .]
    we exist but to serve, my liege

aye, i can tell from enjoying your AAR that you have more than a superficial grasp of byzantine/roman history-the epic feel of it all, aaah, i can practically smell the dust in the East when the Empire brings battle to the mongols. the sheer size of your empire staggers the mind, and you do a great job portraying the grit and nerve and exhaustion of the Romans

Glad to hear you liked the reference, and of course thank you for your kind words.

I'm liking how Efthymios is slowly gaining the trust of the Imperial Army. France is a welcome theater of war after the arduous trek through the Alps. Best of luck in there!

As for the Spanish, it'll be interesting to see how much of their armies remain in Iberia. It seems most of them are focused in North Africa. Perhaps a naval jaunt across the Mediterranean might catch them off-guard after all. Should be a good turnout for the Romans either way, with Isidoros and Zinonas leading the charge there.

As always, great stuff. Keep up the stupendous work!

Just wondering, why are the Teutonic Crusaders, England and Scotland not doing anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

what could they do at this point?
    Look, Some words

Default Chapter 10: Return to the Offensive Against the Mongols

Chapter 10 – Return to the Offensive Against the Mongols (1546)

The call to Crusade has gained a fever pitch in the Catholic lands. We are receiving reports all through the Empire of armies on the march. It would seem that the influence of the new Pope (and the weakness of the Mongols, no doubt) has encouraged dozens of generals and thousands of soldiers to take up the call.

The Hungarians seem to have a head start over the rest and King Deszos has already marched as far as Sarkel on our northeast frontier.

Trailing not far behind is an army from Denmark under their own ruler.

They have made it all the way to Kiev.

Even the Portuguese have crossed through the Pillars of Hercules into Africa and are on the march.

Most worrisome is that a Spanish army has slipped around our forces in North Africa and made an epic march across the desert to arrive in Egypt!

The garrisons are weak there and completely unprepared to turn back an assault should the Spanish be so inclined. I don't think it is too great a leap to worry that they may turn away from the path to the Mongols and attack some of our rich cities. Perhaps even an attack on Jerusalem? What a coup that would be for the Spanish and what a disaster for the Empire. These are dangerous times for the Empire as we no longer know who are friends are or where they will strike.

After much delay and worry, I have finally received a letter from my husband, Lord Vitos. I must say that it was not what I expected.
    Spoiler for Letter from Vitos

I read with much interest the latest speech from our Emperor and I can only say: Has he gone completely insane?! Conspiring with the Pope to call a Crusade against the Mongols! Has the man never looked into a history book? Does he not know what happened the last time a Roman emperor called upon the Catholics for aid. It nearly destroyed us! Now, he wants to do it again?

For what purpose can this serve? We have the situation well in hand and need no "help" in achieving victory. The Mongols are tough and hardy soldiers. Their legendary prowess is well-earned and they are mighty warriors. But, they are also just men. We have slain them by the thousands and will continue to do so.

The Catholic hordes moving to the East will do nothing to aid us. They will loot our lands in their passing and try to carve out kingdoms for themselves in lands that are ours by right of conquest. This is not assistance that Vasileios is providing. It is a hindrance at best and sabotage at worst. Granting them access to our lands is tantamount to treason!

I believe, and Lord Genessios agrees, that there can be only one true purpose in his plan. He wishes to discredit us and thereby make himself more powerful at our expense. By calling a Crusade, he has now turned this war into ours to lose and his to win.

If we fail, it will not be because we are at the end of a thousands mile long supply chain and covering hundreds of miles between battles in hostile territory. It will be because we are incompetent and squandered the "help" Vasileios provided.

If we succeed, it will be because Vasileios has rallied those Catholics to our cause. They will be the ones given credit for the victory, not the long-suffering Roman and allied soldiers under our command.

Tell your Emperor that we utterly reject his "aid." Tell him that we will complete the conquest without the help of the heretics.

Finally, tell him one more thing. If any Catholic army gets in our way, we will destroy them.

If that makes me a rebel, then so be it. I serve the memory of my former master not the man who currently sits on his throne.

I only regret what hazard this may cause for you. If possible, look for a way to leave the city without notice. Come east to be with me or go north to the estate of your mother. I do not think Constantinople will be safe for you much longer.

Your loving husband,
    - Vitos

I believe it goes without saying that I have decided to pass on none of these thoughts to Emperor Vasileios. I include the text here for my own use and that of those who will read this after my death. Should Vasileios hear of this, then we may very well have the civil war that none of us want.

I can understand my husband’s thoughts. The actions of Vasileios strike at his pride in himself and his soldiers. They have achieved so much and suffered so greatly that to now have their victories cheapened by a call for Catholic assistance must be anathema to our generals in the East.

I only hope that I can contain this indiscretion by my husband from the agents of Vasileios. His men are everywhere and I do not know whom to trust.

Speaking of which, I have reports that Vasileios has sent some of his trusted henchmen to the East along with the latest dispatches. At first, I thought nothing of this until one of my friends on the Council (whose name I shall not repeat for his own safety) said that one of the couriers was a shadowy man named Ktenas. He has been often spotted at court in private discussions with Vasileios. His position was never talked about and his unprecedented access to Vasileios was always something of a mystery.

Now, I understand. My friend tells me that this Ktenas is none other than the Guildmaster of the Assassins Guild!
    Spoiler for Ktenas

Why Vasileios would send this man to the East can mean only one thing. He is hedging his bets with Vasileios and Genessios. Should they turn to rebellion (or, perhaps even if they do not), they will be met by a blade in the darkness of their tent or poison in their food.

I have sent one of my own personal servants, a matron of long service to myself and Empress Maria before me, with a warning for my husband. He must take great care from now on. He must guard his life and his words as never before. Their correspondence is most likely being monitored and they assuredly have spies within their ranks.

Lords Vitos and Genessios now face not only the enemy before them but also the one behind.

Vitos has wasted no time in providing another type of reply to Emperor Vasileios. He has launched his army out of Konjikala and attacked the Mongols blocking his path to Khiva.

2nd Battle of Konjikala – April, 1546 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of Konjikala

From Battle Report Filed by Lord Vitos Vasilidis to the Imperial Archives - 1546.

The Mongol army was quite strong but seemed to be made up of almost entirely new recruits with a few mercenaries thrown in for good measure.

They had nine companies of horse archers and five companies of light cavalry. For infantry, they had but one company of dismounted spearmen and one of archers. They also had one unit of catapults and two units of the damnable rocket launchers.

They were led by an experienced general named Jagatai Khan.

He was not part of the current ruling family but used the "Khan" surname in recognition of being related to past rulers. He was also known for his fanatical loyalty and had secured a respectable reputation as a general and administrator (a balance not often found in Mongol nobles).

Our forces were heavily weighted in light cavalry and horse archers with only a few companies of infantry.

The light cavalry consisted of seven full companies of Stratiotae and the remains of a company of mercenary Alans. My horse archers were not as strong as in previous battles but I still had four companies including one of the deadly Cavalarii. I had but three companies of spearmen backed up by two companies of archers and one of swordsmen. Finally, I had one unit of Mangonels but the crew had suffered greatly in my past battle and could only man one machine.

As I looked over the dispositions of the two armies, I was struck by how similar we had become to the Mongols. We both had only a few companies of infantry but were packed with horse archers and light cavalry and units of artillery.

The battles in the East have taught us much and we have adopted those tactics that are effective in this terrain. In doing so, it seems we have come full circle to be nearly the same as our foes. I am left to wonder, are we teaching the Mongols about warfare or are they teaching us?

The road to Khiva is naught but desert broken by the presence of some scrub and the occasional palm tree. The Mongols had taken up position on the slope of a low rising hill in order to maximize their advantage in ranged combat.

My forces lined up in a very similar fashion. We had some good terrain to our left but the majority of the battlefield was flat and open.

Again, I am struck by the similarities. We are nearly mirror images of each other.

As my men advanced on the enemy formation, the Mongols began dancing about with their companies crisscrossing in front of us. They were either confused themselves or were trying to make us so.

We had faced such feints before and stood our ground. Our accuracy is better served with a stationary platform and not bumping around on the back of a horse.

Since we were outnumbered in horse archers, I concentrated my best companies on the good terrain to the left where we could get parity of range with the Mongols.

The allied Turks suffered the greatest casualties while the longer ranged Cavalarii fired over their heads to a devastating effect on the Mongols. The foot archers soon joined this fight and thousands of arrows flew threw the air every minute.

While the horse and foot archers were firing away at each other, the artillery set up and began to exchange volleys. My Mangonel was the first to find the range.

I watched with no small amount of satisfaction as dozens of the Mongols were consumed in flame. Their screams could be heard clearly even over the din of battle.

In their haste to respond, the Mongols fired their rocket launchers without clearing a proper path.

Some of their rounds hit our lines but many others simply obliterated their own spearmen who stood too close. The Mongols clearly do not give a damn for their own soldiers.

Some of the Mongol light cavalry tried to force their way through our line of infantry to get at our archers and artillery.

But our spearmen stood firm and slaughtered the Mongol horsemen where they stood.

While the artillery and archers were hurling missiles at each other, I sent out the light cavalry in a wide sweep around both flanks of the swirling Mongols. At my command, both wings then converged on the center with the Mongol general Jagatai as their target. As the two wings converged, Jagatai was trapped.

Swamped by our light cavalry, not only was Jagatai's bodyguard overwhelmed but also the Mongol infantry and artillery. Pressed from all sides, the battle changed from a dance of horse archers to one of a close combat slogging match.

Jagatai's bodyguard fought valiantly in defense of their general and bought his escape from the trap at the cost of their own lives. While his men died, Jagatai ran.

He was followed by what was left of his horsemen.

For all their supposed courage, the Mongols ran in the face of our onslaught.

All they left behind were mounds of dead men and horses.

The close fight cost us many of our light cavalry but we were victorious. I regret that we were not able to chase down Jagatai but I trust that we will see him soon enough.

The few prisoners we took were ransomed to the Mongol governor of Khiva.
    Spoiler for Prisoners

I must say I was surprised when he sent the gold.

It would seem he needs these men more than he needs the gold.

The main thing I wish to point out in the retelling of this battle is that the mighty Mongols ran from a Roman attack. We destroyed their main army without the help of any Catholics, Popes, or heretic Crusaders. This alone shows that we need no "assistance" in this war.

Let our Emperor ponder that the next time he sits in the council chamber and questions our resolve or courage.

- Vitos.

The tone of my husband's report troubles me. This was a great victory but also a costly one.

It is clear he is angry but I trust he will not let that effect his judgment at the cost of his soldiers' lives. He has fought for too long to make such mistakes. At the very end of our supply line, he cannot afford to fight a war of attrition.

The next report we receive comes only a month after the first. Lord Vitos has continued to the city of Khiva and has assaulted it!

Assault on Khiva - May, 1546 AD.

Spoiler for Assault on Khiva

From Battle Report Filed by Lord Vitos Vasilidis to the Imperial Archives - 1546.

Just like the Emperor, I too have agents under my command who will do my bidding. When I ransomed the prisoners of my last battle to the Mongols, I made sure to add a few of my own men to their number. With all the mercenaries the Mongols are employing these days, it was too easy to add a few of my soldiers to the mix pretending to be Alans.

They have done their work well and were in charge of the gates on the third watch when I attacked.

They also helpfully provided me with a full listing of the garrison of the city.

The "brave" Jagatai was in charge of the city's defenses.

I knew it would not be long before I saw this man again. I also knew he would display the same courage as he had in our previous engagement.

The losses from my previous battle were sorely missed but I still possessed ample strength to take this city.

We attacked at night under the cover of a terrible thunderstorm. The sound of the rain and thunder masked our advance and my "Alans" sounded no warning. All seemed to be in place for a quick and relatively bloodless assault when another company of the Mongols raised the alarm when the gates were swung open.

The Mongols reacted quickly despite the late hour and the dreadful weather. They rushed to the gate to stem our advance.

My light horse were met with company after company of horse archers and Mongol light lancers. It was a vicious battle as we fought to break through the bottleneck at the gate.

I poured company after company into the pocket. Bows were useless in this weather. This was combat fought with sword, lance, and spear. The blood and gore of the dead soon mixed with the water and mud covering the streets.

My cavalry were quickly joined by our spearmen and heavy infantry and our combined efforts pushed a way through; the infantry dealing with their Mongol counterparts and our light cavalry hacking through the Mongol horse archers.

A few men carried torches that cast strange shadows and illuminated the faces of the wild Mongols. The combat took on a surreal nature. It seemed as though this was a fight of demons battling it out to the death.

Our superior numbers and courage broke the stalemate at the gate and our cavalry pushed on to the city center while the infantry mopped up at the gate.

Like a cornered animal, Jagatai summoned his courage and rode out to meet me in the narrow streets.

Just as in our previous battle, he was again surrounded. This time, though, there was no escape for the heir of the Khans.
    Spoiler for Death Card

At the death of Jagatai, all resistance collapsed. The few remaining men of the garrison surrendered.

I lost more men than I should have. The fight at the gate was brutal and lacked any semblance of strategy or finesse. Even so, we killed two of theirs for each one we lost.

I have given the men leave to sack this city to their heart's content. This will serve not only to revive their spirits after two hard battles but will also put the Mongols on notice about what will happen if they continue to resist.

It is a lesson I hope to repeat very soon in Urgench - Crusade be damned.

- Vitos.

Although Lord Vitos is not as loose with his tongue in his reports as he is in his letters to me, he doesn't seem to be disguising his feelings, either. I have written him, again, to counsel him to temper his words and his conduct. The time is not right for a move against Vasileios. The time may never be right.

In the same letter, I had to inform him that I cannot leave Constantinople at present as Vasileios has imposed an order for all the Imperial Staff to remain in the city except by special dispensation directly from him. I could resign my post on the Staff or simply leave without his consent but, to do that, would be nearly the same as declaring us to be rebels. That I will not do. I for one will not be the first to start a civil war.

Still, I cannot help but feel a hostage here in the city. My daughter and I ensuring the good conduct of my husband and my brother. At least Genessios's wife, Chrysi, has had the good sense to take up residence with the dowager Empress Maria near Sofia. She is as safe there as she is anywhere in the Empire; even Vasileios is not so rash as to move against the wife of Skantarios.

Though the offensive against the Mongols has gone well this year, our losses have been high. The Mongols are still very strong and they have the ability to generate new troops at an incredible rate.

It is now a question of who will reach Urgench first, Vitos/Genessios or the Crusaders.

- Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis.
    Last edited by Skantarios; October 04, 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/14)

Finally!
    Miss me yet?

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire (Updated as of 9/14)

It's interesting to see the growing tension between the Emperor and the Generals of the East. I agree that though the Mongols are a worthy opponent, to send masses of Catholic troops on Crusade through Roman lands sounds downright asking for trouble. Let's hope the Empire can keep it together to finish off the Mongols before the Crusaders are allowed to repeat 1204 again.

As always, stellar update. I especially liked the intense night battle at Khiva. Demons against demons!

Indefinitely Banned

awesome
    love Vitos' responses, definitely sounds like the grizzled veteran of decades of war and is direct even to the politicians back home
    love it

i think this is most certainly beyond the Old EMpires boundaries....which i do recall only reaching Babylon....which didnt exsist at that point anymore
    Look, Some words

Very nice update, excellent as usual!
    [evil] I wonder if you want to let the crusaders bleed some before your troops intervene. Urgench could eat up some troops unless the Mongols run out of soldiers by the time the crusaders arrive. [/evil]