Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire **COMPLETE** (With Compilation)

Default [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire **COMPLETE** (With Compilation)

"The Legacy of Skantarios"

A Secret History of the Third Roman Empire

This AAR is the sequel to my previous one: I am Skantarios! - Rebirth of the Eastern Roman Empire. It will pick up in the immediate aftermath of the death of main character from the first AAR, Emperor Skantarios Laskaris.
    Spoiler for Note on Names
    Note: To avoid any confusion for new readers, I used "Skantarios" as my user name back when I began the first AAR. Please do not mistake me, the author, for my now-dead character of the same name. If I could do the names over, I would, but things are too far gone now. Just be aware that there is no correlation outside of the name between the two of us.

For those of you who have read the first AAR, you are fully caught up and there is no time jump between the two.

For those of you who may be just now joining the story, I would encourage you to revisit the original AAR. However, I realize that it is very long and may be beyond the interest level of some. Therefore, see the third post in this thread which addresses the prior history. I have written three separate posts in history format which tell how the Roman Empire rose from only two small and impoverished provinces to the colossus of the day. If that is still too much, then this AAR might not be for you. Even so, you can still get the extremely abbreviated version by simply scrolling through the "Illustrated Timeline" linked below in the second post.

That said, this story should still stand on its own without reading anything of the first. I will provide enough detail in this AAR so that you should not need to explore the back story at all and will, hopefully, still get a great deal of enjoyment out of this story.

The strategic goals of this AAR will be the restoration of the Roman Empire to the borders the old Imperial Era circa Trajan and Hadrian of the 100's AD. This will include the restoration of the Rhine and Danube frontiers as well as the more recent gains in the Far East and north of the Black Sea. As a sub-plot, the old enmity between the Romans and the Muslims will continue and the Roman armies are tasked with the extermination of all remaining Muslim factions.

This AAR will end when the old borders have been achieved through conquest and/or diplomacy and will not be tied to any one character.

Thank you for taking the time to read this AAR. Please feel free to post your own thoughts and/or any suggestions on how I can make it more readable and enjoyable for you, the reader. I'm happy to have you along as we explore the next chapter in the Restored Roman Empire!
    Spoiler for Rules and Format

Rules and Format
    Game: Medieval II: Total War

Mod: Stainless Steel 6.2

Sub-mods: Real Recruitment/Real Combat (RR/RC) and the 1450 Campaign

Unit Size: Large

Campaign Difficulty: Very Hard

Battle Difficulty: Very Hard
    Spoiler for Note on Aging
    Note on aging: Characters age one year for every two of game time. Therefore, some characters may seem to be extremely long-lived if you follow a strict chronology. I will address character ages from time to time but just be aware of this fact as it explains how certain individuals, such as Emperor Vasileios, have been with us since the 1450s.

Last edited by Skantarios; February 24, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Read the review of I am Skantarios! in the Critic's Quill here.

Default Chapter 1: Aftermath and New Beginnings

The Secret History of the Third Roman Empire
    by Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis
    Spoiler for Author's Note

Author's Note:
    My name is Likenia Laskaris Vasilidis. I am the eldest daughter of the late Emperor Skantarios Laskaris. For most of my youth, I was sent on one diplomatic mission after another to expand trade and broker peace. My duties took me on many travels through Palestine, Anatolia, Eastern Europe and to the frozen north of Russia. It was not until my 32nd year that father gave permission for me to wed one of his most successful and famous generals, Lord Vitos Vasilidis. I followed my husband for several years during his battles with the armies of Novogord. When I became heavy with child, I was sent back to Constantinople to raise our infant daughter. I have stayed here ever since even while my husband pursues conquests in the far east.

Our new Emperor, my uncle Vasileios, has appointed me the official historian of the Empire. I think he has done this for two reasons. First, to to keep me busy and out of his way. Second, to demonstrate his power over my husband by having me do the Emperor's bidding. However, I for one appreciate the posting. It gives me unfettered access to the records and reports coming in from across the nation. I can dutifully record what is happening and so preserve the history of my father; to preserve the Legacy of Skantarios.

I shall strive to be as dispassionate as I can and use the example of my forbearer, Anna Comnena, and her history of her father, The Alexiad. I have a great challenge to put some distance between myself and the polarizing figure of my father but I will attempt to be as accurate and as detached as possible.

The version I write here is for my own use and that of posterity. The one I show Emperor Vasileios is for his consumption and the reading of that pack of sycophants known as the Council of Nobles. In that version, I am full of glowing praise for our ruler's wisdom and the measured direction that he lends to our Empire.

That is the official version. That is the version that ensures my head stays firmly on my shoulders.

This is the true version.

This is what really happened.

Chapter 1: The Aftermath and New Beginnings
    There is a pall of silence over the entire country. The death of Skantarios hangs heavily not just in the Imperial Palace but in every household, army camp, and state office of the country. This is not just simple sentimentality (real or pretended), but something altogether different. The markets are deserted, the harbors stand silent, and the roads are empty. People have huddled together in fear and uncertainty.

For there is a single question in the minds of all the citizens of the restored Roman Empire:

What do we do now?

This is not just a rhetorical question. For decades, the official policy of the Roman Empire was: whatever Skantarios said it was. This was accepted by all the people for two important reasons. First, his orders were always logical and achieved spectacular results. Second, we had no choice.

Skantarios’s word was law. For many, his orders were the same as a commandment from the almighty God. We trusted him and knew his path was correct. Now that he has gone, there is simply no one who can take his place.

The challenge for the new Emperor Vasileios is truly daunting. How do you follow a man who could justly be described as a legend in his own time? Even now, the shadow of Emperor Skantarios is vast and ever present. There is not one who does not know the name and the power it embodied.

There is even talk by a few overzealous fools in the Senate of having Skantarios deified. Deified! Elevating him to same status as our God and Savior. That such talk would even be tolerated in the modern Christian world is nothing short of astonishing. Even the Patriarch of Constantinople has not had the courage to speak openly against it. Publicly, he has taken no official position on the matter but privately has decided to simply plow ahead with having Skantarios officially sainted.

“Saint Skantarios”…what a concept. I hardly know what to say. After everything he did, the hundreds of thousands killed, the cities burned, the looting, the depredations, etc., he is now going to be a holy saint! I wonder what he would think of this had he survived to see it. Would he laugh or would he weep?

But all this is idle talk. The practical matters of the Empire must be addressed and those fall to our new Emperor.

Spoiler for Basileus Vasileios

Vasileios is a fine and intelligent man but he does not command anything approaching the respect, admiration, or fear that Skantarios did. He is at heart an administrator and is so entrenched in the palace at Constantinople that nothing can dislodge him. No one expects him to take the field and lead the Imperial Army like Skantarios. In some ways, this is fitting. The Empire is so vast now that to be caught up in the daily grind of a foreign campaign while still managing the crushing administrative workload would stretch the abilities of even the most capable man. Indeed, Vasileios has been obliged to spend the better part of a year just shoring up his power after the odd death of Skantarios and has had no time to contemplate our various foreign “entanglements.”

In some ways, the uncertainty surrounding the death of Skantarios has very much worked in favor of Vasileios. It gave him time to consolidate his position and ensure the loyalty of the Army. By the time we all were sure (are we?) that Skantarios was dead, Vasileios had secured his position. Not that there was ever much doubt, Skantarios ordered it in his will and so it was done; just like everything else in the Empire.

Vasileios is certainly a strong administrator and his hold on power is now absolute. But not even his strongest supporters would credit him as a capable general. He is caught up in the many pleasures of the palace and trapped by his paranoia. The situation today is very much like the start of the Imperium with Skantarios having played the role of Julius Caesar to Vasileios’s current role as Octavian/Augustus. No less effective, just...different.

Vasileios must find his own voice as the leader of our people. If life in the palace and ruling from the capitol is more to his taste and abilities, then he must direct us from afar by picking able generals and establishing a deliberate and clear foreign and domestic policy.

Perhaps one troubling aspect of this past year is that Vasileios has consolidated all power unto himself. He has completely cut out the sons of Skantarios from the succession in favor of his own line. His male children are Laskaris by birth and not adoption (as were Skantarios’s). Skantarios saw adoption and marriage as the proper way to choose his heirs by selecting amongst the bravest and most intelligent; men who made their own fortunes by their skill and daring rather than having it bestowed upon them from pampered birth and soft upbringing. Men such as General Genessios and General Vitos who earned their rank fighting the enemies of the Empire all across Asia and Europe. Either of these men were seen as the true heirs of Skantarios.

But, Vasileios did not see it that way. He would not (or could not) forsake his own blood in the inheritance. Therefore, he has chosen his eldest son, Efthymios, as the new Diadohos and Heir. A man who has barely come of age and has fought no battles nor earned any honor outside of the palace. The only thing he has going for him is his name…and a powerful one it is. A natural born son of the Laskaris line has an innate prestige amongst the people that cannot be denied.
    Spoiler for Diadohos Efthymios

So, it seems we have begun another hereditary Imperial dynasty. One where succession is determined by birth and not ability. But, I must ask, will Vasileios be another Augustus or will he be a Tiberius? Will his son be a Germanicus or a Caligula? Time will tell and the fate of our Empire hangs in the balance.

Since Vasileios has long overseen the domestic administration and charged with oversight of our various building projects and collection of duties and taxes, no change in our economic progress should be forthcoming. Where we go militarily is another question entirely.

Despite the so-called “Peace of Skantarios,” we are still embroiled in wars on almost every front. In the east, the war against the Persians seems to be winding down as we hunt them to extinction. However, the new war with the formidable Mongols has only just begun. In the north, we have our strong alliance with Hungary and an uneasy one with Novgorod. In the west, our pet Pope has arranged for ceasefires with both France and Spain but no one believes they will last. We know this because one important detail is now missing from the equation that allowed it to happen in the first place – Emperor Skantarios.

Our enemies were cowed by Skantarios. Where he went, victory followed. He was like a juggernaut that could not be stopped. No matter how bad the odds or how overmatched our forces, we were absolutely sure he would bring victory…and he did.

Now that he is gone, the courage of our enemies has been renewed and they feel they again have a chance for victory. Hoping to take advantage of the transition in power, the French and Spanish have gathered their armies in a bid to take back their lost territories.

Our Army is as strong as it has ever been but who will lead it? The old generation of generals has passed away. Nikodimos was killed, and then so was Benedek, and finally Skantarios. There is no one who holds the same mystique or commands the absolute loyalty of the men. We still have Vitos and Genessios but they are far away and locked in combat with the Mongols. Even so, they are both over 50. How many more campaigns can they have ahead of them? How will they take being passed over in the line of succession?

The new generation is embodied by men such as Isidoros and Ioannis. They are young, brash, and reckless. They lack restraint or anything approaching humility. They will bring us victories but they can also lead us to disaster. To rein them in risks taking away that which makes them effective; to fail to rein them in invites catastrophe.

As we step into the new era after the passing of Emperor Skantarios, we have nothing but questions and uncertainty. Unfortunately, our enemies may not give us the time to find the answers.

War is coming in the west. We all know it.

The only question is when.
    Last edited by Skantarios; August 22, 2010 at 04:06 AM.

Last edited by Skantarios; August 22, 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Default Chapter 2 - The State of the Roman Empire (1540 AD)

Chapter 2 – The State of the Roman Empire (1540 AD)

Strategic Relations
    Emperor Skantarios bequeathed us a legacy of relative peace but we still have many enemies arrayed against us and jealous rivals just waiting for a chance to strike.
    Spoiler for Relations in 1540

Allied with: France, Novgorod, Hungary

At War with: Mongols, Persia/Khwarezm, Rebels

Vassals: Papal States

In the east, the Muslims are our eternal enemies and we will not rest until they are destroyed. The only significant powers remaining are the Persians/Khwarezm Empire and the Mongols. The once-mighty empire of the Persians now lies scattered and broken. We have rebuked their pleas for mercy and now they fight on with stubborn resolve to safeguard their last provinces. The Mongols are very strong and are now fighting for their home provinces in the Steppes. Their abilities in open field warfare are legendary and our generals will have great difficulty turning back their hordes of horsemen.

To the north, we are at peace. Our long-time allies and kinsman the Hungarians still stand as a bulwark against the wild warriors of Scandinavia and the Germans. This alliance has been key to our defenses and we are obliged to keep it strong and well tended. We are also at peace with the Kievan Rus and the Grand Principality of Novgorod. The peace with the Rus was a codicil of our alliance with the French but our rivalry goes back decades and they have shown a stubborn resolve to test us at every turn. Novgorod is now our ally through marriage with Theodosia and their young heir, Lord Derzhislav. They may have finally have had their fill of warfare with the Romans after being humbled by both Benedek and Vitos in previous years.

In the west, we have many challenges. The old powers of Genoa, Venice, and Sicily have been eliminated. The Papacy has been humbled and brought into vassalage in one of Emperor Skantarios's last acts. However, the greatest powers in the west, France and Spain, are strong allies of each other and command the greatest field armies in Western Europe and Africa. Both were bound to peace with the Empire by Papal edicts but it is an open question whether they will be true to these orders from their religious leader. France is now our ally through marriage between Vasileios's daughter Efsevia and Prince Evrart but it remains to be seen if they will be loyal to us or to the Spanish should conflict break out again in Africa.

Of the remaining powers in the west, only the Germans and the English pose any significant threat. The English are too far removed at the moment to pose a challenge but how long will they stand on the sidelines should be continue to expand north and west? The Germans are locked in battle with the French and remember well the defeats they suffered at our hands that opened them up to invasion in the first place. Further, they still stubbornly cling to the title of "Holy Roman Empire" even though it is now quite clear who are the true Romans. I believe they await only the opportunity for our northwestern borders to be weakened before launching another invasion.

We are very strong now but we must also be vigilant. There are many who are eager to take back what we have claimed in the past decades.

Changes to Imperial Administration
    It would be instructive at this point to go into some depth about the many changes that have taken place since the death of my father. I spoke earlier about how Vasileios has gathered all power unto himself. That was only part of the story. More precisely, he has gathered almost all power unto his immediate family.

In Constantinople, Vasileios reigns supreme and unchallenged. Just as when Skantarios was still alive, all of the mechanisms of civil administration are responsive to him and him alone. The legions of bureaucrats and freedmen that run the day to day business of the Empire follow a direct chain with Vasileios at the top. Most importantly, Vasileios has control of the treasury.

Now that he is Emperor, Vasileios has exerted his control of the military and the provincial administration. To consolidate his control, he has redistributed the provinces to his family and trusted men of his faction.

Given the immense size of the Empire, Vasileios has divided it up into several sectors under his sons for administration and the conduct of the war. For the core provinces of Greece, Thrace, the Balkans, and Anatolia, Vasileios maintains these under his personal control. In the west, he has given his eldest son, Efthymios command of the old Imperial Army and the provinces of Italy and Sicily. In the south, he has given control of Egypt and Africa to his third son, Zinonas. In the North, his second son Markianos rules the former provinces of Kiev and Novgorod and all the coast of the northern Black Sea. In the farther east (and furthest from Constantinople), Vitos and Genessios are in command of Armenia and Persia, respectively.
    Spoiler for Family Tree 1541

I find it somewhat illuminating that Vasileios has felt the need to rely on his immediate family so much in order to exert his control and prevent rebellion. In the days of Skantarios, no one would have even considered rebellion. If they had, they knew that he would have descended on them in an instant and from an unexpected direction with the Imperial Army (or whatever force was at hand), scattered the rebels, annihilated the usurpers to the third generation, and then killed their thousand closest friends.

For Vasileios, however, he must rely on more subtle methods.

Italy and the Northwest
    As stated before, the important province of Italy (including Rome and control of the Pope in Pisa) falls to our new Heir and Diadohos, Efthymios. His first and greatest task will be securing the loyalty of the Imperial Army. They are still in mourning over the loss of Skantarios and are reportedly somewhat reluctant to follow this new and untested general; no matter how great his birth name. The Imperial Army is a wild card in Vasileios’s plans. They are the only force that have a legitimate shot at testing the defenses of the capitol should they be so inclined. They are hardy veterans personally trained by Skantarios and have an unbroken string of victories that attest to their skill and bravery. Should Efthymios fail in gaining command, there could be real trouble for the Empire.

Efthymios is young and brash and full of new ideas. Emperor Vasileios intended him to follow in his footsteps as an administrator and sent him to the finest schools to practice reading, writing, and mathematics. However, Efthymios had his own ideas for his future. Whether it was a boy’s rebellion against his father or just his own natural inclination, Efthymios has always been enamored of the army and war.
    Spoiler for Efthymios

I can still remember him as a young boy running through the palace with sword in hand fighting mock battles with servants and slaves. Every time there was a report from father, Efthymios would pore over the details again and again. When he was old enough, he had the letters copied and their well worn pages were ever present on the surface of his bedside. When one of Skantarios’s captains visited on some errand for the Emperor, Efthymios would follow him around like a puppy and pester him with question after question until the man was driven to distraction. I know Vasileios always hated this aspect of the boy’s character and did his best to change him. However, the specter of Skantarios and his fame called to the boy like a siren to a lost sailor. Vasileios’s battle for the boy’s soul was over before it ever started.

Under Diadohos Efthymios is our old general Kalamodios – the destroyer of the pagan Lithuanians. Kalamodios has displayed a great deal of talent in command of mercenary forces in the past and has gathered a similarly motley band in the newly-christened Skantarium. He is steady, solid, and loyal to the crown. He will be an able lieutenant for Efthymios.
    Spoiler for Kalamodios

The Kingdom of France and the Germans are the rivals arrayed against Efthymios. My cousin Efsevia (daughter of Vasileios) is now married to Prince Evrart of France and we are now technically allies. However, France has refused to renounce their alliance with the Spanish and they are still smarting over the loss of their field armies and their former king during Skantarios’s last campaigns. The Germans are locked in war with the French and also bear us no love. Although there is peace for the moment, no one believes it will last.

Africa
    In the southwest, he has entrusted his son Zinonas with the provinces of Africa and Egypt. Zinonas is a fine man and one born to command. He, too, studied the campaigns of Skantarios and seeks to make a name for himself in combat. Perhaps he also seeks a reputation to rival his older brother when the time comes to name a new heir?
    Spoiler for Zinonas

Fortunately for Zinonas, he has Isidoros as his second in command. Isidoros has shown real flair in combat but his reckless disregard for the capabilities of our enemies is troubling. It was Isidoros who destroyed the Sicilian Normans and has now added to that prestige fighting the Spanish. He took Sicily with barely more than a couple companies and then swept through the old Africa province in a single summer.
    Spoiler for Isidoros

To counterbalance Isidoros, our old general Aleksios is also seconded to the Africa front. Aleksios is a capable general and administrator and has brought order to the chaos of the conquests.
    Spoiler for Aleksios

Our great military rivals, the Spanish, oppose us in Africa. They are reportedly the greatest military power in Western Europe and vanquished the Moors from both Iberia and northern Africa. Until they met us in the field, they were working on an unbroken string of conquests in both Europe and Africa. We are technically at peace thanks to a “Papal Bull” coerced from our pet Pontiff. However, will the directives of their religious leader counterbalance the wounded pride of their own Emperor? Their armies are massive and their temper is up. If there is to be a new war in the west, Africa is where the first blow will be struck.

The North
    In the cold and barren north, his son Markianos is in charge. Markianos (known as “the Bastard” for his dubious lineage) was given “command” here in order to keep him out of the way and far from the Imperial Palace. I think Vasileios’s preference is for Markianos to wallow away in a far away solitude where the Empress Judit is not reminded of her husband’s former dalliances with the court ladies.

Markianos has been in something of exile his entire life even when he resided in Constantinople. Vasileios did not acknowledge him as his son for many years and did not even allow him to reside in the palace. It took the intervention of Skantarios himself (after the two met when Skantarios was in self-imposed retirement) to force Vasileios to accept the boy at all; and even then only grudgingly. I believe the phrase used by father was: “For one who has been blessed by God with a son of his loins, you should not overly care from whose womb he was birthed.”

Perhaps as a consequence of his father’s apathy, Markianos has been known since his youth as an introvert and one more comfortable in the library than on the drill fields. He has shown some skill as an administrator but as a commander of other men, he is completely untested.
    Spoiler for Markianos

Markianos has a coterie of undistinguished men to support him but mostly these are either the drinking companions of Vasileios or others who have fallen out of favor in the court. An uninspiring lot by all accounts but at least so far away that they won’t get into too much trouble.

The Far East and the Muslim Front
    The two greatest generals of the realm, Lord Vitos (my husband) and Lord Genessios (my brother) command the front against the last two great Muslim nations of Persia and the Mongols. Emperor Vasileios fell all over himself confirming them in their previous positions as commanders of the armies arrayed against the Muslims. His stated position was that it made the most sense keeping them in charge where they have shown such ability in the past. I think his real reason would be that it keeps them far away from the capitol (and the Imperial Army) and removes them as a threat to his rule.

If there are any left who could openly oppose Vasileios, it is Vitos and Genessios. They both command nearly the same slavish loyalty of the army as did Skantarios and both have strong ties to the throne. There are a great many that would have rather seen them as the new Emperor than Vasileios – and he knows it. Still, Vasileios could not strip them of command given their status and past victories. If he had, the Empire be in an uproar and Vitos and Genessios would be forced to pursue their claims immediately; perhaps with violence. I am sure Vasileios wishes nothing more than to see them spend their remaining years battling it out far away from him and either dying of old age or in combat. Either would do.
    Spoiler for Genessios

Spoiler for Vitos

Vitos and Genessios accepted their positions in the east without complaint. They have unfinished business with the Muslims and are carrying out the last wishes of Skantarios by vanquishing them from the earth once and for all. When those wars are over (and I pray they will be soon), then the question of the throne can be revisited.

The relationship between the two men is somewhat complicated. Genessios is the adopted (and only) son of Skantarios. It was he who first adopted Vitos into the Imperial Family even though there is only four years separating the two men. When Skantarios bid me marry Vitos, the dynamic changed somewhat as now Vitos is not only the “son” of Genessios but also his brother-in-law. Despite their complicated relationship, their rivalry has always been friendly and they have worked well together. Vitos destroyed the military power of the Novgorodians and turned back their invasions while expanding the northern frontier. Genessios fought alongside Emperor Skantarios for years against the Muslims and was second in command for the final destruction of the Ottoman/Seljuk Turks. Following those victories, he pressed on against the Persians and has driven them to the brink of annihilation. They now concentrate their efforts in the far east against the Mongols and the last vestiges of the Persians.

Their able lieutenant is the young Ioannis. This man embodies what is best – and worst – in the character of the Army today. Fearless, daring, and contemptuous of the enemy, he has won spectacular victories but has also suffered defeat when he has overreached. He will either win great victory or win “glorious” death (taking his army with him).

Ioannis is still smarting over his second class treatment during the funeral of Skantarios. He was made to sit in the second row of pews while the older generals sat in front. But what did he expect? He had never even met my father. The ego on this man is something to behold. Just thirty-six years old and he wishes to be hailed as the greatest general in the realm. He has accomplished much and more is expected of him but he has a ways to go before he takes his place as one of the greatest generals of the Empire.
    Spoiler for Ioannis
    With these three men arrayed against the Muslims, I expect the war to be brought to a conclusion very soon.

Last edited by Skantarios; September 02, 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Default Chapter 3 - War with Muslims Renewed

Chapter 3 – War with the Muslims Renewed (1541 AD)

“Stamp out the last vestiges of the pagans and those who cling to Islam. If they will not submit, then you must destroy them. Do not leave them festering at our doorstep waiting only for the time and strength to fight us again. For they will. If you leave them 'in peace', then war will follow. Maybe not tomorrow or the next but someday. It is inevitable.”

The war against the Persians had been dragging on for years with the tide eventually turning inexorably in the favor of the Romans. However, it was in the first year after Skantarios’s death that the first great battles with the Mongols took place.

With the seizure of great swathes of Persian territory, the Roman armies had finally pushed into the border lands of the Mongols. These areas had already seen great death and devastation as the Mongols and Persians battled over several decades for supremacy. It was only four years ago that Lord Vitos invaded the territory of the Mongols by taking the city of Gorgan and cutting off the Mongol armies in the south from their homeland in the steppes. Genessios followed up that victory by taking Damghan; the only Mongol fortress south of the Elburz Mountains.

These were but brief skirmishes against second-tier Mongol forces. We had yet to meet the main Mongol armies in open combat. That all changed just after Lords Vitos and Genessios returned from the funeral of my father and rejoined their forces at Gorgan and Damghan.

The great Mongol hordes previously occupied in war against the Persians were now faced with being stranded in hostile territory and cut off from reinforcement. They now turned their might away from the Persians and against the Romans in a determined assault to reestablish their lines of communication and drive out our invading armies. The first place they struck was on the bridge to Gorgan over the River Etrek against the forces of Lord Vitos.

Battle of Gorgan Bridge – February 1541 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of Gorgan Bridge

From Battle Report Filed by Lord Vitos Vasilidis to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives.

Shortly upon my return to the land of the Mongols I established a blocking position across the Etrek in order to await the arrival of my reinforcements from Baku and the forces of my brother Genessios. The Mongols came upon me whilst I was on the south bank of the river. They did not attack at once as I had expected. Instead, they merely set up their own position on the north bank as though blocking entrance to our army.

They were led by the capable and loyal general, Abayan of Rum.

I found it very interesting that he used the title "of Rum" (or "of Rome"). It seems everyone has pretensions for a heritage of the Romans. For a Mongol to use it, however, is outrageous. Abayan also was known as being someone of significant cunning. I was soon to find out why.

By noon, I was about to order the attack when my scouts brought news that another powerful Mongol force was attacking from the rear. We had been trapped!

The first Mongol army had a mix of spearmen, archers, horsemen, and artillery.

They were to be the anvil to the hammer of the larger force.

The second force consisted mostly of horsemen with a significant force of infantry following in their wake.

My own army was a balanced force of horse archers, light cavalry, archers, and a few companies of infantry. I also had a few cannons and Mangonels.

The enemy across the bridge were formed to stop us while the second army was pouring out of the hills behind us!

At once, I knew that to maintain my position on the south bank and fight a battle on two fronts would only lead us to our slaughter. I ordered all the forces under my command to charge north across the river against the blocking force.

It was a mad dash with the infantry leading the way with my horse archers firing over their heads and the light cavalry in support. Our men made the best time they could and advanced into a hail of fire arrows and flaming balls of pitch hurled by the enemy trebuchets.

We lost many to the arrows but advanced heedless of our losses. The entire army was committed to the bridge; even the artillery slowly followed screened only by a single company of rear guard cavalry.

Our spearmen crashed into the enemy infantry even as arrows fired at point blank range assailed us on the flanks.

It was now a pushing match as our infantry strained against theirs in order to break up the logjam at the exit of the bridge. Men grunted and heaved against each other – we attempting to push them back while the Mongols fought to keep us in place. We were desperate to break through knowing that the second force of Mongols was advancing rapidly to close the trap.

Our superior numbers began to tell and we were on the verge of a breakthrough when the Abayan flung himself and his personal guard against us to buy just a few more moments for his comrades to close.

I sensed that this was a key moment in the battle and spurred my own horsemen forward to close on Abayan and bring him down.

Our spearmen found purchase against his armor and felled the Mongol from his horse.
    Spoiler for Death of Abayan
    Still, the Mongols fought on. Their bravery was stunning. Only the charge of my light horse who had pushed through the flanks and now came upon the enemy’s rear decided the fight on this bank and cleared the remaining defenders.

It was just in time. The second Mongol army’s horsemen now came charging across the bridge into the same killing field we had just vacated.

My exhausted spearmen reformed on top of the dead on the north bank and closed ranks just as the first Mongol horsemen came crashing into them.

The positions were now reversed as it was our spearmen straining to hold back the enemy and keep them bottled up on the bridge.

My Mangonels now turned and fired at the packed horse archers on the bridge and brought liquid fire down on their heads.

The casualties were stunning as scores of horsemen were incinerated or fell under a fusillade of arrows fired by my foot and horse archers.

The enemy infantry now added their own volleys of pitch-soaked arrows to the conflagration on the bridge.

My archers answered in kind. The sky was lit up in the glow of thousands of arrows streaking across the sky seeking to end an enemy’s life.

Soon, nothing was left alive on the bridge and the archers traded volley after volley. I decided that the time was now right to lead the remainder of my horsemen back across the bridge and charge into the enemy archers. Crossing the bridge many of my men lost their footing on the slick and grime of the enemy bodies. Many fell to the enemy arrows or simply pitched over the side into the fast rushing river.

Those that survived followed me into the mass of enemy archers in a crushing charge.

This final charge proved to be too much for the remaining Mongols. We scattered them like a herd of goats and chased down all those that fled.

The bridge and the north bank were like a scene from Hades itself. Bodies stacked up three and four high covered every inch of the ground. Men and horses horribly burned and trampled were scattered everywhere.

The sight and smell of so many dead sickened all present.

But we were victorious.

We lost over a third of our men but the Mongols lost all.

This “victory” has cost me many of my finest soldiers. Those that survive are almost all wounded and utterly exhausted. Still, I will not delay my advance on Konjikala. The sacrifice of so many must not be in vain.

- Vitos.
    Lord Genessios, too, saw action in this year. He had taken up a blocking position in the mountains south of Gorgan. The Mongol armies that now hurried back to their heartlands found him standing fast against them and blocking any movement north.

Genessios did not wait for them to combine their forces and attack him. After receiving some reinforcements from Gorgan, he took the fight to them!

First Battle of the Heights - April, 1541 AD.

Spoiler for Battle of the Heights

From Battle Report Filed by Lord Genessios Ksiros Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives.

The Mongol armies from the south were getting ready to make an assault and dislodge my forces from the mountains. I had the advantage of better terrain and a slight advantage in numbers - but only if I took the offensive. Therefore, I ordered my army to descend from the mountain pass and attack the more numerous of the two Mongol armies.

The first force I faced was a classical Mongol army packed with horse foot and foot archers.

They also had a great deal of artillery which would give them an advantage in any ranged fight.

My army was composed entirely of cavalry.

My horse archers were very experienced although I am still forced to rely on a great deal of Turks instead of my more preferred Cavalarii. My light horse, the Stratiotae, and my heavy Pronarii were almost entirely composed of new levies. I was concerned about their valor when confronted with the legendary and fearsome Mongols. I would need to take personal control of them and lead from the front lest I see my green recruits panic at the first charge.

The Mongol army formed ranks at our approach. The day was cold and clear with a light dusting of snow on the field.

I had no hope of surprising them given the open terrain and, therefore, formed my own ranks on our slightly elevated position.

It was a waiting game to see who would make the first move. We stared at each other for many minutes in solid ranks with the cold wind whistling through the hills. The Mongols would not give up their advantage of better ranged bows and I would not give up my dominant field position. It was a waiting game.

Fortunately for me, the Mongols blinked first.

The Mongol captain sent out his artillery in the hopes of blasting us off our hill. What he forgot to do was send sufficient troops to support and defend them.

I ordered my light cavalry to charge down the hill and take on the artillery before they could get off the first volley. Hundreds of horsemen leaped forward with my own bodyguard taking the lead.

We crashed into the artillery with very satisfying results. To my surprise, however, the Mongols did not pull back and attempt to pepper us with arrows. Instead, they charged forward at us with all their infantry and cavalry!

The fighting was brutal around the artillery as lance and spear met bows and swords.

In a line that stretched nearly a mile, all of our forces collided in a disorganized scrum. There were no subtle maneuverings like we had been led to expect from these warriors of the Steppes. Instead, what we got was a stand up fight with no quarter asked or given.

The Mongol commander was leading from the front just as I was. However, his bodyguard was not as good or as well armored as mine. My light cavalry brought him down in flurry of blows and then trampled him and his mount under their hooves.

With their commander killed, the rest of the Mongols attempted to flee; but there was simply no place for them to go. We captured many but the majority died there on the field.

Hundreds of horses and men lay slain around the Mongol artillery. The blood of the dead mixed with the snow to form a red slush that coated and clung to everything. The bodies were so numerous you could walk from one end of the mile-long front to the other and not touch the ground. It was a brutal fight and one that I shall not forget.

Still, it was a victory.

Since the Mongols were cut off from their provinces, there was no one to ransom them to. Therefore, the prisoners were dispatched and their bodies added to the mounds of dead we left behind.

- Genessios.

Lord Genessios had no time to waste as he was now confronted with another Mongol army only a few miles from his previous battle. Moving back into the mountains was now out of the question given that the Mongols would simply overrun his rear if he turned away. So, he swung west and launched into the second army of Mongols.

Second Battle of the Heights - March, 1541 AD.

Spoiler for Second Battle of the Heights

From Battle Report Filed by Lord Genessios Ksiros Laskaris to Emperor Vasileios and the Imperial Archives.

The second Mongol army I faced this spring was somewhat smaller than the one I faced earlier. They were still packed with horse and foot archers but also had some strong spearmen.

My army had been severely depleted in my previous battle. I had suffered some grievous losses amongst the Stratiotae as well as in the horse archers. I was therefore obliged to send many of my light cavalry away for reinforcement as well as some of my experienced Turkish horse archers.

The day dawned clear and bright. Spring had finally taken hold and at this lower elevation there was no more snow. I still had the advantage of the elevated position and this time, since the Mongols had no artillery to dislodge me, I intended to take full advantage.

The Mongols repeated the same tactic as their brothers earlier this year. They waited in their massed ranks for me to send my men forward and into a hail of arrows.

We simply looked on impassively. When the Mongols did not appear to be moving against me, I ordered some of my Turks down the hill to entice them forward by either their mere presence or with more subtle tactics like calling out curses on their manhood - or lack thereof.

The Mongols took the bait and charged forward shooting on the move and letting out their fierce war cry. I had instructed my men to hold their ground. Far better it is to stand fast and fire your bow with a steady hand then bolt backward and spoil your aim. These Mongol horse archers are skirmishers at heart and I judged, correctly as it turned out, that they would try to fire at least a few volleys before coming at us with sword and lance.

My Turks and Cavalarii had the advantage of firing from a higher and more stable platform. Their arrows descended the hill in true and deadly lines and brought down the Mongol horse archers by the score.

The Mongol infantry now surged forward in support but met the same fate as hundreds of arrows were fired down on them every few seconds. The light armor of the infantry were no match for our powerful bows.

When I had judged the enemy were softened up enough, I ordered my light and heavy horse to charge down the hill. At the first impact, the Mongol infantry broke ranks and ran.

Though, by this time, there were precious few left to run. Most were already dead with multiple arrows sticking out of their bodies like a pin cushion.

We took a few score casualties from the arrow exchange but still killed eleven of theirs for every one we lost.

The pathetic few prisoners we took were only captives for a short time. The Turks who had suffered the greatest casualties had the "honor" of dispatching them.

Now that the southern areas have been cleared of the Mongols, I will now move east to the latest capitol of the Persians, Mashad. I do not want to leave them at my back when I move north to support Vitos.

I have taken many casualties this year and will have to rely on more levies of Turks to make good my losses. They have shown great aptitude fighting the Persians and I hope they will do so again.

- Genessios.
    Although no territory was captured in the east this year, the Mongols have been removed as a threat to our Persian invasion. Vitos is moving against the Mongol fortress of Konjikala and Genessios is moving against the Persian city of Mashad. Both the Turks and the Persians seem to be on the run but we are now moving into their heartlands. They have easy resupply and many ready men to take their places in the army. On the other hand, our generals are moving into areas never seen by Roman arms and are at the end of a very long supply chain. Where the enemy can make good their losses in mere months, it takes us years to do the same. Further, we face a hostile populace and warriors who now fight to save their homes and families. The fight will be dangerous and difficult and the utmost care needs to be taken.

The dictate of my father to stamp out the Muslims continues but the war is far from over.

Coming Soon: Chapter 4 - The War in the West Begins Anew: Victory, Defeat, and Betrayal.
    Last edited by Skantarios; August 23, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: [SS AAR] The Legacy of Skantarios - Restoration of the Roman Empire

Awesome. +rep.

Edit: Have to spread.. >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Very good nice to see its started
    Et Tu Brute?

Desley's Avatar Praefectus

Very nice! I really liked the first part so im happy that you have decided to make a sequel!
    Will and act until victory

I haven't posted much here, but I just couldn't resist commenting on this, especially after avidly reading "I am Skantarios". You've done a great job with Legacy and I know that you'll be able to keep it up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose waited months to finally start reading this. It definitely doesn't disappoint! Outstanding work as usual! I'll be looking forward to more.

Awesome. Very good start to this one aswell! Picking up where "I am Skantarios!" left off in all senses.

I do declare it's like it never left

YESSSSSSSSSSS =)

Excellent stuff Skantarios. Cannot wait to see what the heirs get up to.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

Allejuah! haha

I've missed my weekly/semi-weekly dose of this fine story. Please tell me someone has contacted you to publish this in a full-length novel...or to turn it into a miniseries haha

Looking forward to the next installment

TQ

Yes!

The gold standard is back! So much depth and detail to every aspect of the story. Cant read it all tonight but with an initial look, so much there.

I agree with Taron and as Ive said before, print this sucker.

+rep

cisse's Avatar Civis

Awesome to see this AAR start again!

Good to see a nice bloody start
    that first fight was as epic as any opening battle could be
    very nice indeed

Excellent intro, worthy of the original AAR - which by the way was the reason why I registered after a long time lurking!
    Last edited by Radzeer; August 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

Ah yes, Skantarios is back, great work +Rep

Awesome as always kinda sad to see Vasileios treating Vitos and Genessios that way.
    Read my AAR here [SS AAR] Emergence of Sicily
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=381517

Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast