Page 94 of 112 FirstFirst ... 446984858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2235

Thread: RS II: Post your empires here!

Default Re: RS II: Post your empires here!

Bit late on the party, but great job Dibbles and Delysid. I'm a fan of both your Empires.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Celitinerians are actually one of my fav troops, theyre strong and they look cool.
    Yeah, mine too. I'm not a fan of the caetrati or the scutarii. I find them to weak to hold the line. As flanking troops they could have a purpose, but I use cavalry for that so I usually don't recruit them.

@Chris Death No everything works fine, its just my screenshot taking was a bit erratic at times!

@Ferdiad yes it took me a long time but i was bored anyway. Its only a third of the way done... might be a little while before i get around to it. And, yes Carthage is almost entirely reliant on AORs though Late Libyan Spearmen are very reliable troops and can be recruited anywhere.

Yeah Late Libyian spearmen are reliable troops but one cannot deny that the AOR troops are sometimes better.

Bcman's Avatar Senator

Usually i just make a lot of elephants and go of and have massive stampedes if i am bored as carthage.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

@total war lover: What's your favourite AOR troop? The Nervii swordsmen have become one of my most loved... Defending me against those marauding Germans! Its strange the lack of recruitable troops in the Middle East, especially trying to deal with Parthia

@bcman3 I have to transport my elephants all the way from Carthage to the Middle East... time consuming but worth it! They've saved my skin many times already. Nothing like seeing four units of charging elephants entering the battlefield just as your men are about to lose their nerve

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by bcman3 View Post
    Usually i just make a lot of elephants and go of and have massive stampedes if i am bored as carthage.
    what a luck that the AI isnt smart enough to sent a peltast/javeliner/velites army after your elephants army...converting them to dead meat before even reaching the enemys first battleline....

Bcman's Avatar Senator

ya and it seems every time i think to bring plesents that dont have elephants and when dont they do.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I find elephants too much of a hasale to bother with, theyre useful no doubt but the logistics of tansporting and retraining them are a pain.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
    @Chris Death No everything works fine, its just my screenshot taking was a bit erratic at times!

@Ferdiad yes it took me a long time but i was bored anyway. Its only a third of the way done... might be a little while before i get around to it. And, yes Carthage is almost entirely reliant on AORs though Late Libyan Spearmen are very reliable troops and can be recruited anywhere.
    You should post this in the AAR section, definitely belongs there.

I'm not sure if this is the place, but did anyone else find the first battle with the Seleucids in the Ptolemic campaign really hard? You're supposed to fight Antiochous or whatever his name is, and basically has a superior army and a better general. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the location where you fight basically has a giant hill that the guy camps on the whole battle.

He has more elephants, more cavalry, and more archers, leaving you with only an advantage in infantry. I tried screening my advance up that hill with my slingers and archers, but his archers took out half of my skirmishers before they even fired a single shot. Then I had to position my numerous phalanx infantry in such a way as to counter his cavalry, but he basically just ran around my infantry before they could even maneuver themselves into place. It took four units of heavy infantry, which was basically half of my infantry reserves, and both my unit of heavy cavalry and elephants to stop his own elephant and cavalry charge on my right flank. Then, when he tried shifting the line to my left by rushing his light infantry and a few of his hopilites, I had to expend the rest of my reserves to protect the phalanxes on my center. Only when I had disabled his cavalry and tied up his infantry could I really start trying to use my extra infantry forces, or whatever was left of them, to outflank and overcome his own hopilites. He killed 1400 of my men while I killed 1200 of his, though I had more soldiers so my army was actually still standing after the fight.

After taking care of the wounded, I had around 900 of my own soldiers, less than half my original force. The Seleucid army had dissolved though, so at least I could advance.

Still, based on my previous, short lived games with Carthage and Greece, I can pretty much tell he hasn't even gotten started. Those full stacks of Seleucid troops are coming in force, I bet.

What do I do?

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by PrayForRain View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the place, but did anyone else find the first battle with the Seleucids in the Ptolemic campaign really hard? You're supposed to fight Antiochous or whatever his name is, and basically has a superior army and a better general. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the location where you fight basically has a giant hill that the guy camps on the whole battle.

He has more elephants, more cavalry, and more archers, leaving you with only an advantage in infantry. I tried screening my advance up that hill with my slingers and archers, but his archers took out half of my skirmishers before they even fired a single shot. Then I had to position my numerous phalanx infantry in such a way as to counter his cavalry, but he basically just ran around my infantry before they could even maneuver themselves into place. It took four units of heavy infantry, which was basically half of my infantry reserves, and both my unit of heavy cavalry and elephants to stop his own elephant and cavalry charge on my right flank. Then, when he tried shifting the line to my left by rushing his light infantry and a few of his hopilites, I had to expend the rest of my reserves to protect the phalanxes on my center. Only when I had disabled his cavalry and tied up his infantry could I really start trying to use my extra infantry forces, or whatever was left of them, to outflank and overcome his own hopilites. He killed 1400 of my men while I killed 1200 of his, though I had more soldiers so my army was actually still standing after the fight.

After taking care of the wounded, I had around 900 of my own soldiers, less than half my original force. The Seleucid army had dissolved though, so at least I could advance.

Still, based on my previous, short lived games with Carthage and Greece, I can pretty much tell he hasn't even gotten started. Those full stacks of Seleucid troops are coming in force, I bet.

What do I do?
    Im not an experienced Ptolemaic player, but, what i've done so far is not to fight that battle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
    @total war lover: What's your favourite AOR troop? The Nervii swordsmen have become one of my most loved... Defending me against those marauding Germans! Its strange the lack of recruitable troops in the Middle East, especially trying to deal with Parthia

@bcman3 I have to transport my elephants all the way from Carthage to the Middle East... time consuming but worth it! They've saved my skin many times already. Nothing like seeing four units of charging elephants entering the battlefield just as your men are about to lose their nerve
    I do like the nervii swordsmen; as well as the celtic light swordsmen. Easily retrainable troops, who can pack a puch by their throwing spears. They do tend to suffer a lot of casualties, and that's why they always form my first battle line. If the enemy finds a way through my more experienced troops will stop them. I usually don't bother training elephants, why pay so much money on recruitment and upkeep? I find them usefull at crisis situations but I never bother recruiting them

Elephants are a life saver when fighting Parthia! I don't use them anywhere else tho. I've only lost one unit out of the four i brought over from Carthage and they've been crucial in about 5 battles.

@ybbon66 Yeah i was thinking this alright. I'll put the next update in the AAR section and post a link to it here.
    Last edited by dibbles; January 01, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

A little update. Carthage has been destroyed...FINALLY
    My last battle was in the desert of Numidia where their King had two units of elephants. Sadly I did not take a picture of the battle at all. Carthage was a real challenge due to they were sending stack after stack from North Africa into Iberia. But finally I took over the points where the two continents meet(Gibraltar). And I shut iberia out from them. I now have to go to war with Arvenii as they want to piss me off and attack me...It is 594 AUC

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    My last battle was in the desert of Numidia where their King had two units of elephants. Sadly I did not take a picture of the battle at all. Carthage was a real challenge due to they were sending stack after stack from North Africa into Iberia. But finally I took over the points where the two continents meet(Gibraltar). And I shut iberia out from them. I now have to go to war with Arvenii as they want to piss me off and attack me...It is 594 AUC
    Well you'd get rep but no screenshots of the battle! -20 rep!!!

OK, maybe a little +rep instead

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Woow dude nice. You really seem to expand just the way I did And the Belgae really expanded into Britain. In my campaign they didnt do that at all

You might also want to give tributes to the seleucid empire to repel the parthians (worked out for me as seleucids nearly destroyed parthia)

Anyway, very nice so far.. how many regions till 85th?

Rep well earned

Thanks for the rep guys. Let me tell you the history of the middle east in my campaign. If you look closely there is a Egyptian settlement all by its self in the middle of Iraq I believe. Well the Egyptians expanded that far out but were pushed back by the Pontiac's. Armenia expanded a lot as well but were destroyed by the Seleucid. Now Armenia has only one city left.

Parthia expanded bigger that that. They got cut back into half by Seleucid but it looks like the Parthians will win that war. So overall the middle east has been a continuous war zone since the start.

I don't know who will be the major power when it comes time for me to invade

I hope Parthia

Also I ' am in the 67th region. So I' am 18 regions away
    Last edited by century x; January 03, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Hahaha "by the pontiacs"

Can't help but think about the car brand... (especially the firebird... that car is awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Speirs View Post
    Hahaha "by the pontiacs"

Can't help but think about the car brand... (especially the firebird... that car is awesome)
    Hahahah my bad. I just realized what I wrote