Thread: RS II: Post your pictures here!

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: RS II: Post your pictures here!

Very nice job. What was it like to put together?

Armenia's troops are very badass. The Nakharars, heck, even the mountaineers look deadly.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by stackero View Post
    Part 1

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands. Prince Artur of Armenia is intercepting the enemy army before it can reach any cities

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Led by General Anaximenes

Led by Artur, a Prince of Armenia.

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands. Prince Artur of Armenia is intercepting the enemy army before it can reach any cities

Pergamon Set up

Armenian setup

The battle begins. There's some laughter among the Pergamons Generals staff. Its pointed out to the General that the four squadrons of Nakhararas Cataphracts they had dreaded facing, three was afoot.

"Our spy says true.A sickness struct their horses and they had to be put down.Such horses are not easily or quickly replaced. And look, the poor fools marching like common soldiers. No doubt they'll be fatigued by the now from the unaccustomed marching.

Armenians mercs attack Pergamon's left flank, engaging Pergamon's mercenary Celtic heavy swordsmen. Armenian heavy spearmen engage both the Pergamon elite phalanx and heavy infantry, pinniniig two units with one, A risky tactic but the Armenian general believes his men can hold them long enough for his plan to take shape.

Pergamon mercenary Celtic heavy inf vs Armenian mercs on Pergamon's left flank

Pergamon phalanx holds Armenian spearmen at bay

The Pergamon General now makes his move. Commanding both his left and right cavalry flanks with 1 cohort of spearman each in support to advance and envelope the Armenian flanks. This causes some confusion in the ranks of the Armenians on Pergamon's left and right flanks. Some Armenian reserve troops go to support the attack on the left and right flank of Pergamons and some break off and pursue the flanking cavalry.

The Armenian General is ragefull, 'Why do they not follow orders, send more runners to tell the center levy to continue on toward enemy lines, not to seek engagement with flanking forces. A gap is opening in our center. I must think of something to hold the enemy center awhile longer"

Armenian on the left still hold.

The fighting intensifies on the Pergamon's left.

Armenian infantry engage the right flank of Pergamon, attacking heavy swordsmen and immediately begin to get the upper hand.

Both General's plans are fast falling apart. Both Pergamon's Flanking forces are pinned down because some of the center force of the Armenians's center turned to attack the closes enemy near them reinforcing the Armenian forces already holding the flanking forces instead of marching as the Armenia General wanted at Pergamon's main center line.

Pergamon's right flanking force of Cavalry and spearmen locked in combat and unable to overcome or retreat from the Armenians.

Pergamon's right flank heavy infantry is attacked ferociously by the Nakharars wirh Cavalry guarding their flank.

The Armenians pressed hard on Pergamon's right flanking force. as the Armenian general looks over the battle field, realizing the battle was out of control and deadlocked he rode hard to his reserve force of two cohorts of unmounted Nakharars and ordered them forward.

As the Armenian general looks over the battle field, realizing the battle was out of control and deadlocked he rode hard to his reserve force of two cohorts of unmounted Nakharars and ordered them forward.

Awesome battle, epic my friend, Great account of the blood fest, very entertaining. I got to say I do love those Armenian troops and cav, intimidating, vicious and lethal!

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

great battle m8, rep you l8tr for making little story about Armenia and pergamon.nice find about the sick horses
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

some images with new colors[
    IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    Very nice job. What was it like to put together?

Armenia's troops are very badass. The Nakharars, heck, even the mountaineers look deadly.
    I'll give a full account in part 2 the last posting. I might give something away. I will repeat what I said in an earlier post: Huge battles are hard to do justice, with the right pictures and commentary. Already spotted a commentary repeat. Need better proofing.

Thanks for the reply.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Icon1 Re: RS II: Post your pictures here!

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    some images with new colors[
    IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Oh yeah, much, much better. what setting did you change? 200% better.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Legio XII Fulminata View Post
    How can I get these minimap?Sorry for offtopic.
    You need to remove fog of war.

Changed from games to intens setting on my Philips ambi light led tv.

It's gorgeous. I'm so jealous right now. What are your specs Tungri?
    Last edited by High Fist; December 03, 2013 at 01:35 PM.

do you realy want to know HF??case coolermaster hpi...,win8,i5-4670k,radion hd7970,mobo Z87...,ram 16gb,h80i watercooling,ssd120gb,hdd4tb,asus xonar phoebus 7.1 had a new pc build for rome2 and that game is a bunch of crap.Lucky i play my shooters on pc now instead of on ps3

Damnyou tungri, damn you. I'm using a bloody Toshiba laptop.It's about 3 years old now.

To be fair though, I can't really afford a desktop, plus I'm always moving around houses.
    Last edited by High Fist; December 03, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

some pictures of my campaign in iberia,just had an heroic victory against a gallacian horde of +4000,luckely it was a bridgebattle and they wear them selves out against 3 units placed at the bridgehead,when i retreat the 3 units it was an easy win against the tyerd enemy,
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Part 2 continue from post #2121

Pergamon vs Armenia

A Day In the Sun

The Amenian General rides up to his two cohorts of dismounted Nakharar infantry and his young nephew arrives with the mounted Nakharar cataphracts.

To far away to aid the the farther side of the field the General orders one cohort to attack the left flank of Pergamon. Our men tire there, aid them in in pressuring that position.

Second Cohort, force march around the Pergamon's left and strike from behind. Go. Pointing at the center of the Pergamon's line, the General tells his young nephew, captain of the cataphract squadron, to stop that unhindered Phalanx from taking advantage of the gap in our line. I need more time.

The young Captain smiles. Draws his sword, it sings as it flew from it scabbard. "Worry not my uncle, the dogs will advance no farther." kicking his horse and riding out in front of his troops he shouts, for King and our beloved country and families. Follow me men to glory and victory"

The men shout and the young captain leads them at first into a slow trot toward the phalanx.

Sitting Next to the General an old veteran officer of the staff remarks. 'You know General, your nephew is probably going to get himself killed."

The General replied,' He's a nephew on my wife's side of the family. And I'd be rid of his constant chest beating; "'when do we fight, "'why do we wait, all invaders must me crushed,'" 'Truly, it gets tiresome.'

'Ah', said the General, 'the foot Nakharar have entered the fray on Pergamon's left flank, good.'

A staff officer alerts the Armenian General to the status of his nephew. 'By all the gods what is he doing cried the General?'

The young captain signals his squadron from trot to full charge at the phalanx. Puzzling even the phalanges.

'Does the boy have no brains.''Shouted the General. 'He only needed to threaten the phalanx, intimidating them from moving.

The sound of the clash was horrific. Sounds of screeching horses and the screams of dying men could be heard over the den of the rest of the ongoing battlefield carnage, all the way back to the General.

The charge on the Phalanx had little effect except to decimate the cavalry.

The Armenian General, gritting his teeth in rage said, 'The boy better have died or I swear I'll kill him myself. A whole Squadron of my best cavalry butchered.'

Soon men arrive carrying the young captain on a stretcher. The General bent on one knee over the wounded
    youth. His wounds were extensive, his shredded legs was evident through his shattered armor and entrails were protruding from his abdomen. His head soaked in blood and sweat. The surgeons looked at the General and shook their head.

With pain in each word the youth spoke. 'Was it... not glorious uncle...father and mother will be ...proud of me. I have... done ..my duty. Did I... do well uncle.

The General said, 'Not to worry boy, your not going to die. My best surgeons are patching you up good. This battle is won and you'll ride by my side in a glorious triumph through the Capital city streets as a hero of the Empire and people'.

The boy smiled coughing blood and convulsing with pain. The General bent over and gave a light kiss to young captain's bloody forehead. 'Your uncle is proud of you son' The youth smiled again, tears in his eyes as he fought back the pain. Hand on the youths forehead, in one swift motion the General drove his dagger into his nephews throat. His body shivered a few seconds and he was gone.

Remounting his horse the Armenian General looked over the situation.'The Nakharar foot making their presence felt. The other cohort still on its way to flank.'

His staff officer adds. "As confused as this battle is it appears all our positions are holding and in some areas getting the better of the enemy.'

'Still, to close to call.' The General said. 'Got to break the enemy soon somewhere.'

The Nakharar foot are flanking, but are hit by missiles preventing them from turning their backs to flank attack The Pergamon units from behind.

The Pergamon General spots this threat and immediately orders his center phalanx to double time to the rear of the left flank to prevent a disaster. The elite phalanx facing the main onslaught on the left are like a rock and the militia phalanxes take courage from them as do the remaining Celtic mercenaries.

Pergamon General helping out on the right flank.

The fighting is fierce as the weight of the Nakharar foot is brought to bear on the Pergamon left flank.

But the Armenian heavy troops make little headway near the center and the Armenian General decides to add his presence and weight to the fight there.

The Permaon General seeing this and the effect it may have, leds a charge at the Armenian General. The fighting is confusing but brutal.

But as the two Generals fight it out the Pergamon forces on the right flank have no leadership or inspiration to continue this hard pressing bloody battle and began to flee. The smell of defeat is in the air now and most of the Pergamon troops begin to flee.

Realizing the battle lost, the Pergamon General flees the battle wondering how badly his King may take this defeat. Maybe another failed general's head on the city gate?

Sadly the elite Pergamon phalanx fights on even as their flanked by cavalry. But the Armenian King intervenes before the butchery begins and offers them clemency; keep their weapons, fight for Armenia against the Seleucids and a new life as subjects to the King of Armenia and the benefits that will bring.

Didn't take long for the phalanges to decide seeing all their comrades and General had fled the field.

ii
    Last edited by stackero; May 09, 2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Nice story mate,i know from watching the army composition you gonna get beaten or get a pyrric victory.ill rep you later when i can.

And I'll rep you now.

'A Day In The Sun' Pergamon and Armenian battle. Commentary report on posts #2121 and #2134

Unused picture in battle.

As in all battles such as these, to get a good fight and hopefully good commentary opportunities you fight the enemy not as a player trying to beat the AI using your full experience.

You play as you believe the commander of that force would have fought the battle.
    The Pergamon General likely would have been an average maybe a little above average General. Brave ,but not overly imaginative.

Same for the Armenian General but I suspect may have had a higher level of cunning with the constant fighting against superior forces usually within his on country.

The Pergamon General's plan of sending flanking forces around the Armenian flanks may have seemed wise to him. The two heavy cavalry squadrons backed up by spearmen to aid in any cavalry or infantry opposition. But it proved lacking. To make the flankers situation worse the AI as we know, can sometimes do weird things .

While I might of expected the second or third line of the Armenian troops to go to the aid of the flanked forces, it was the first line that broke formation and chased after the Pergamon flanking units leaving a gap in the Armenian center. But the center of the Pergamon forces hesitated to take advantage of this because of the pressure on their left and right.

This is where I suspected the battle was lost, Even with all those extra troops drawn from the main battle to attack the flanking forces, the Armenia foot soldiers that were in the main battle were slowly gaining the upper hand and with all his reserves committed already there was little the Pergamon General could do, but ride from fight to fight to encourage and hope to make a difference somewhere.

When the full weight of the Nakhararas troops bearing down on the left and right and the Armenian General throwing himself into the melee the battle was all but over. The Peramon General sensed this and attacked the Enemy general hoping to slay him and turn the battle.

Note on AI. Been along time since I've seen the AI go so wacky. I was looking to bring the two battle lines into conflict all across the front and then see what transpired. Instead the Armenian first line broke formation and went after other targets.

But I suppose we could say, such as in real battle, things rarely go as planned.

As for commentary turning into story telling, I try not to do much of that in a huge battle. I cut a bit of story telling from The Pegamon side. I felt when leaving commentary and going into story telling you're to far into AAR territory. Some may argue this is an AAR just shorter and lighter. I guess what definition you chose you can make of it what you want.

If you asked how I would have played the game if playing to win a normal contest vs the AI. I would have played defense. Hoarding my reserves best I could. The Armenian troops, particularly the
    Nakhararas were monsters.I did have excellent troops that could face them, but I would have hoped my phalanxes could have faced them to give me more time to find a weakness to exploit in the Armenian attack. Even the militia phalanx did a good job holding Nakhararas troops at bay, but they were also inspired by the elite phalanx nearby.

I suspect I'd had to fight off at least one maybe two powerful flank attacks of Armenian cavalry, if successful there, I believe that would have been the turning point for me to take the initiative in the battle, if my main battle line was still holding, and that's a big if.

I've been thinking. I didn't save that game for replay, but I still have the roster, I may give it a try soon to see what the difference would have been if I'd played hard to win. Might be interesting. Armenia may be a hard nut to crack especially playing on Hard BAI. But the above battle was played on Medium BAI
    Last edited by stackero; May 09, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

I like battles that are basically small engagements and skirmishes around the entirety of the battlefield. Thinking about it, it's how I would like to fight a battle, not every engagement is fully committal and so you'd not be puyying all of your cards into one battle line.
    Just a thought, throwing it out there.

Here's an idea; let's challenge each other with battles and different troop rosters. I'll start by using yours and play as Pergamon. :
    It's the weekend so I may as well.

EDIT: I'll have quite a few less pics than you though.
    Last edited by High Fist; December 06, 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Attempt at Battle

Yeah, this was hard.

I played on hard difficulty too - wasn't pretty.

I played without using the terrain. Just marched straight towards him. I don't think it's possible to win without the benefit of a hill though.

Here's the army comps. Should be the same as above.
    Pergamon

Armenia

So here are our armies moving towards each other.

They send a unit of cataphracts to my left flank. I have two phyrgians cavalry units there, so I feel confident that they could match them. For good measure, I sent a spare unit of infantry.

I half encircle the catas and have a look around the other side of the battlefield. Looks fine...

Wait a second. Goddammit, the rest of their damn cavalry is at my right flank.
    And they're punding my cataphracts. I send in all available cavalry and some infantry. Meanwhile on the left flank, the Armenians sent a few infantry to help their cata's. They do a good job of holding my infantry down and I have to commit more troops there to stem the tide.

It got messy here and I took few pictures.

On the right the enemy cavalry was annihilated, at a great cost. All of my skirmisher cavalry, which admittedly had no right being there, was lost. My general and cataphract units were greatly diminished. A unit or two of infantry were bogged down finishing some enemy Volcae axemen. Once they were finished they began to trek around the main infantry line.

Back on the left the Phyrgians had taken a beating too, the Armenian cataphacts were still kicking about too. I decided to go for the enemy skirmishers and archers in the back. Got them, was satisfying.

Their general started flanking my phalanx line and it began to disintegrate.

The last Pergamene cataphracht.

The results:

Had I used the terrain more to my advantage, and had I not wasted all of my skirmish cavalry, the battle would have gone much smoother. Had I another unit or two of heavy cavalry instead of light, that may have helped me squeeze out a win. Overall, their infantry far outmatches Pergamon's.

Gonna try again later and see do can I get a win.

I re-fought the battle. Was a nail bitter. Will put some picture together soon and give a play by play, not extensive but enough to get a good idea how it went down.

Edit; Hard Battle High fist The Armenians are a hard nut to crack. Will update soon.
    Last edited by stackero; December 07, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

legio alaudae was on its way to relief legio augusta that whas under siege in bagacum but caut by 2 armys of the cimbri[IMG][/IMG]the first army whas taken out real quickly to not become surrounded by the 2 army that whas rushing to help their comrades,but came to late, my legion quickly regrouped and formed a new defencive line[[IMG][/IMG]now ready to take the force of the larger army and getting incircled by the cimbri[IMG][/IMG]but what they did not know that the roman cavalry laid ambushes on both sides since they had no cavalry in support of the many heavy marcomanni swordsmen[IMG][/IMG]the roman general busy to support the flankes noticed that the center of its army whas on the brink of collapsing and ordered the hiden cavalry to attack the flanks[IMG][/IMG]nowthat the cav is there to support the auxillian infantry they quickly win and rushed to the center[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]my general and the cavalry killed all fleeing germans and prepared to hit the gaps of the central battle that whit the help of the freed infantry finnaly is going the roman way [IMG][/IMG]most of the barbarics fill be killed and the fields are full of dead body's[IMG][/IMG]they did win another heroic victory and going to massilia for replenishing the lost troops before going to bagacum and try to help legio augusta[IMG][/IMG]