Thread: RS II: Post your pictures here!

Icon1 Re: RS II: Post your pictures here!

Speaking of Armenians; I just finished a huge battle between the Pergamons and Armenians. Going to take a while to sort out all the pictures and commentary before displaying it. Likely it'll take two maybe three postings, but I think I need to cut a bit to keep it at two, to get it covered.

Did some quick research on the Pergamon and Armenians troops. I said quick research not in depth. Seems neither used heavy phalanxes but I suspect it would still be possible. So I added some.

Pergamon preferred good solid hoplites or hypatists style infantry and some good cavalry and would fill the ranks with whatever was available at the time of the campaign, mercs, conscripts and such.

Armenians were more difficult. Strong cavalry, heavy and light and a basic levy of good foot troops with other allied or subject tribes troops.

Anyone who wishes to add to or correct my short readings on these two factions, don't hesitate.

Army rosters.
    What outcome has the Fates weaved for this battle.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Led by Artur, a Prince of Armenia.

Led by General Anaximenes
    Last edited by stackero; December 01, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Default Re: RS II: Post your pictures here!

Yeah I've found the Armenian Cavalry to be superb very exciting and interesting faction, I look forward to playing a campaign as them soon

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

If I was to point out anything, it would be that there are too many dismounted Nakharars. Cause they're noble and tanks and all they should be few.

@onmy6 Damn. What a way for the Armenians to go out.

Nice empire too. Must have pumped a lot of hours into that campaign.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Another reason I love Roma Surrectum? The damn maps.

Oh yes. I like 'em.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Defense of Segestica

The fearsome Celts from north of the Alps have come south into Illyria again, raiding and pillaging the land. A huge force of Boii tribesmen, along with Illyrian mercenaries, surround Segestica and prepare to storm the city.

The garrison in Segestica is sizable, but not large enough to defend the walls effectively - the barbarians have brought so many rams that the Romans would be stretched too thin. With that in mind, its governor and commander in this battle, Gnaeus Herennius Siculus, has decided to fall back to the town center.

The Boii broke down the wall unopposed and flooded the city. Down the streets the charged, through the buildings they crept. But all of the citizens had been brought in to the governor's palace, along with all of their rich possessions. The Celts would have to take the palace to get their due.

Fighting erupted at the town center. The main horde came down one main street while smaller ones dispersed around the city to try and circle around the defenders. These smaller groups were easily mopped up by a select few cohorts along with some local (and loyal) archers. The main horde took a lot longer to wear down.

Fire blazed in the city. The main horde fought on. A few valiant soldiers were separated from their unit and fought for dear life. They fought fiercely and desperately but were eventually brought down.

Rome shall mourn for these soldiers. (Why is the tree on fire? Why are those men airborne?)

That unit was fighting in extreme circumstances. The enemy pressed up against them and the heat from the blazing tree was unbearable in a fight. But the Boii had it worse. Far worse. For the Romans had a solid wall to their backs, not an open space where archers could shoot and velites could throw and...

... a mother lucking ballista could shoot at them.

This is what it looked like in a matter of seconds.

Only one out of about 5 units remained, the rest cut down as they fled.

This battle was great fun. The Romans in front of the burning tree were safe from the ballista fire because of the tree to their right. I suffered surprisingly little casualties
    Defense of Segestica
    to friendly fire, apart from a handful of Germanic cavalry.

And, of course, the carnage was beautiful.

Last edited by High Fist; November 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Keeps making two content boxes! ****you content boxes

Excellent. love this stuff. action, a fight, short and to the point, good story. Are we not entertained? rep ya

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    Defense of Segestica

The fearsome Celts from north of the Alps have come south into Illyria again, raiding and pillaging the land. A huge force of Boii tribesmen, along with Illyrian mercenaries, surround Segestica and prepare to storm the city.

The garrison in Segestica is sizable, but not large enough to defend the walls effectively - the barbarians have brought so many rams that the Romans would be stretched too thin. With that in mind, its governor and commander in this battle, Gnaeus Herennius Siculus, has decided to fall back to the town center.

The Boii broke down the wall unopposed and flooded the city. Down the streets the charged, through the buildings they crept. But all of the citizens had been brought in to the governor's palace, along with all of their rich possessions. The Celts would have to take the palace to get their due.

Fighting erupted at the town center. The main horde came down one main street while smaller ones dispersed around the city to try and circle around the defenders. These smaller groups were easily mopped up by a select few cohorts along with some local (and loyal) archers. The main horde took a lot longer to wear down.

Fire blazed in the city. The main horde fought on. A few valiant soldiers were separated from their unit and fought for dear life. They fought fiercely and desperately but were eventually brought down.

Rome shall mourn for these soldiers. (Why is the tree on fire? Why are those men airborne?)

That unit was fighting in extreme circumstances. The enemy pressed up against them and the heat from the blazing tree was unbearable in a fight. But the Boii had it worse. Far worse. For the Romans had a solid wall to their backs, not an open space where archers could shoot and velites could throw and...

... a mother lucking ballista could shoot at them.

This is what it looked like in a matter of seconds.

Only one out of about 5 units remained, the rest cut down as they fled.

This battle was great fun. The Romans in front of the burning tree were safe from the ballista fire because of the tree to their right. I suffered surprisingly little casualties
    Defense of Segestica
    to friendly fire, apart from a handful of Germanic cavalry.

And, of course, the carnage was beautiful.

Ah the slaughter the slaughter, love it, very nice work High Fist great story telling and pictures and to quote Stackero "Are we not entertained?": Yes We Are

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

the heroic city defence of bratuspantion
    [IMG][/IMG]my already batterd legio augusta led by the great general manuis messalla got besieged and is ready to defend the city square against an onslaught of an elite cimbri army[IMG][/IMG]manius ordered his cav to sally forth and hunt down the cimbri general and his light cav, killing them and return to the city for flanking dutys.[IMG][/IMG]on the way back the cav cauth ofgaurd by a unit of spearmen and where of no use anymore so manius had to support the losing infantry,first job was to relief 2 cohorts in their fight against a unit of volcae axemen he did great after the second attck they routed and cut down to the last men[IMG][/IMG]now he had to turn his sights on the main line of defence where my units have sufferd from the constant push of the cimbri olmost breaking throw my lines,the first unit manius hit routed instantly,second time he hit them caused a massive rout from al the cimbri units,they all where cut down by manius and the horse archers that saw a chance to kill some barbaric idiots in the end manius killed over 700 men and had a big impact in the outcome of the battle[IMG][/IMG]
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Yes let's keep this thread alive!

Unfortunately I never plan what battles will be interesting, so I rarely take pictures at the start of the battles.

Oh and thanks for the rep guys.

Now that's what I'm talking about. You guys making short and sweet action fights. Got to rep hungri cenrurio. English in not his native language and still it took nothing from his story,

I would ask hungri cenrurio, do you use bloom on your settings, or is the battle late evening. I ask because its hard at times to make out the features of your soldiers and formations. If not using bloom, maybe experiment with turning up contrast and brightness.
    When possible,we don't want to miss out on those ferocious individuals or the clearness of their formations in battle.

Hey, wait a minute, I remember you telling me you were no story teller. Now look at you. Sure its a small start but it gets easier the more you do. And not only do these stories bring satisfaction and fun to ourselves but entertainment to others.

Outstanding hungri cenrurio, onmy6 and High Fist. I hope to see more of this from you all. I admit , I'm being selfish, I want more. I like it, I know yall like doing them, and I know others like seeing them. This thread always gets a decent amount of views when people post here and I bet money you'll see alot more views go up with more postings.

Sharing your work and fun with others is always rewarding.Try doing one every week or two if time permits. Don't get stressed about it by creating deadlines for yourselves.

I know, I sound a little sappy at times, but no BS, you guys can do good stuff without having to do some long AAR and you can be more entertaining. An analogy I'd like to make. You sit down to read, say an adventure of ancient soldiers in Caesar's army in Gaul in a book. The book may be a good, but you know 80%, if not more, is going to be action-less. You get my point.

Okay, rant over. Good stuff guys and good gaming.

PS. got to get this huge Pergamon/Armenia battle posted soon, so I can get back to doing shorter duration stuff, although nothing wrong with huge battles, it just take longer to do them justice with pics and commentary.

Talking about defending cities reminded me about this little tough close battle:

What.

Quote Originally Posted by Agapios View Post
    Talking about defending cities reminded me about this little tough close battle:

Got more some pictures to show us , if not, give a few details on defending the city. May interest some of us, if not, nothing lost and you gain some experience telling it.

Suicide

Roman soldiers find a popular spot to end their lives in previously Gallaecian Iberia!

Death

One of the last elite Macedonian Phalanxes.

The First had to be reinforced from Greek soldiers after this battle which turned out to exhaust manpower from 2 previously largely populated cities, Apollonia and Athens. The years of warfare, plague and enslavement had emptied the whole area of any notable population.

A green Legion of the new type is heavily bloodied in their first battle on Macedonian soil. Macedonian reinforcements ironicly poured in from the hole made by Roman siege engines which resulted in a drawn out battle in a narrow street.
    Last edited by Searry; December 01, 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Unfortunately I don't' have any other pics, I just took that one in the end. Well, I didn't play that campaign for at least one month, but as far as I remember, it was a long battle, it took me at least 1 hour to finish, slow bloody battle. It's the defending of Sinope, I choked with 2 units of phalanx each point access to the town square (2 streets). The enemy came in waves at first, some cavalry dying fast at the tip of the spears, after that there was some hard battle between the infantry and in the end I brought my troops and retake the gates (the groups of 2 falanx fought in turns, to rest). At the gates there was a bug, the enemy had 1 unit of chariots, which would have been devastating for my troops I believe, but they got stuck at the gate, no advancing, and got kill by the gate's arrows in the end (no more that 4 chariots died by our spears). A lot of remaining enemy troops died in the end by the gates arrows, we fought them immediately inside the city, near the gate. A couple of times my units routed, got to town square and came back to fight. The general took the lives of the last enemies, as you see in the picture: 1 phalanx is manning the gate, 3 phalanx are returning from town square, 13 phalanx are routing and the general in hammering. The enemy also had one elite infantry I think, that was the hardest one to fight and decimated quite a bit our ranks.
    That's kind of all that I remember, I was lucky that those chariots got stuck at the gate, to face them I believe it would have been a game changer

Looked like a hell a of a siege Searry. The city looks cool. Thanks for posting. Feel free to post more if and when you got them.

Good gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Agapios View Post
    Unfortunately I don't' have any other pics, I just took that one in the end. Well, I didn't play that campaign for at least one month, but as far as I remember, it was a long battle, it took me at least 1 hour to finish, slow bloody battle. It's the defending of Sinope, I choked with 2 units of phalanx each point access to the town square (2 streets). The enemy came in waves at first, some cavalry dying fast at the tip of the spears, after that there was some hard battle between the infantry and in the end I brought my troops and retake the gates (the groups of 2 falanx fought in turns, to rest). At the gates there was a bug, the enemy had 1 unit of chariots, which would have been devastating for my troops I believe, but they got stuck at the gate, no advancing, and got kill by the gate's arrows in the end (no more that 4 chariots died by our spears). A lot of remaining enemy troops died in the end by the gates arrows, we fought them immediately inside the city, near the gate. A couple of times my units routed, got to town square and came back to fight. The general took the lives of the last enemies, as you see in the picture: 1 phalanx is manning the gate, 3 phalanx are returning from town square, 13 phalanx are routing and the general in hammering. The enemy also had one elite infantry I think, that was the hardest one to fight and decimated quite a bit our ranks.
    That's kind of all that I remember, I was lucky that those chariots got stuck at the gate, to face them I believe it would have been a game changer
    To bad no pictures ,but sounds like you did get lucky if the chariots became entangled at the gate, but you still had to fight off the rest. Next campaigns you fight take a few picture of certain situations and post them, people will likely find them interesting and or entertaining.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by stackero View Post
    Looked like a hell a of a siege Searry. The city looks cool. Thanks for posting. Feel free to post more if and when you got them.

Good gaming
    Yeah, and it lasted for like two hours or more! A good tactic I found about in that battle was to put my cohorts in guard mode and make them run down the street. The huge weight of all of my cohorts could keep them in the narrow so I had more frontage to kill them off. I don't know if this has any benefits in RTW engine as soldiers tend to engage in single combat.

Part 1

A Day In The Sun

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands. Prince Artur of Armenia is intercepting the enemy army before it can reach any cities

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands.

Led by General Anaximenes

Led by Artur, a Prince of Armenia.

Pergamon General Anaximenes is invading Armenian lands. Prince Artur of Armenia is intercepting the enemy army before it can reach any cities

Pergamon Set up

Armenian setup

The battle begins. There's some laughter among the Pergamons Generals staff. Its pointed out to the General that the four squadrons of Nakhararas Cataphracts they had dreaded facing, three was afoot.

"Our spy says true.A sickness struct their horses and they had to be put down.Such horses are not easily or quickly replaced. And look, the poor fools marching like common soldiers. No doubt they'll be fatigued by the now from the unaccustomed marching.

Armenians mercs attack Pergamon's left flank, engaging Pergamon's mercenary Celtic heavy swordsmen. Armenian heavy spearmen engage both the Pergamon elite phalanx and heavy infantry, pinniniig two units with one, A risky tactic but the Armenian general believes his men can hold them long enough for his plan to take shape.

Pergamon mercenary Celtic heavy inf vs Armenian mercs on Pergamon's left flank

Pergamon phalanx holds Armenian spearmen at bay

The Pergamon General now makes his move. Commanding both his left and right cavalry flanks with 1 cohort of spearman each in support to advance and envelope the Armenian flanks. This causes some confusion in the ranks of the Armenians on Pergamon's left and right flanks. Some Armenian reserve troops go to support the attack on the left and right flank of Pergamons and some break off and pursue the flanking cavalry.

The Armenian General is ragefull, 'Why do they not follow orders, send more runners to tell the center levy to continue on toward enemy lines, not to seek engagement with flanking forces. A gap is opening in our center. I must think of something to hold the enemy center awhile longer"

Armenian on the left still hold.

The fighting intensifies on the Pergamon's left.

Armenian infantry engage the right flank of Pergamon, attacking heavy swordsmen and immediately begin to get the upper hand.

Both General's plans are fast falling apart. Both Pergamon's Flanking forces are pinned down because some of the center force of the Armenians's center turned to attack the closes enemy near them reinforcing the Armenian forces already holding the flanking forces instead of marching as the Armenia General wanted at Pergamon's main center line.

Pergamon's right flanking force of Cavalry and spearmen locked in combat and unable to overcome or retreat from the Armenians.

Pergamon's right flank heavy infantry is attacked ferociously by the Nakharars wirh Cavalry guarding their flank.

The Armenians pressed hard on Pergamon's right flanking force.

As the Armenian general looks over the battle field, realizing the battle was out of control and deadlocked he rode hard to his reserve force of two cohorts of unmounted Nakharars and ordered them forward.

Last edited by stackero; December 07, 2013 at 11:02 PM.