Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea - Even more realistic shelling?

Default Idea - Even more realistic shelling?

Hello,

Just had a thought on how we can make the shell fire look more realistic. I know some very good work was done to make the explosion look more dirty, but I think I just thought of a way to get rid of the "brown gas" effect that happens, rather than dirt rising then falling. No idea if it can be done, but I have a feeling it might be able to be done, so here it goes.

I was playing a battle earlier on vanilla, and a cannonball hit into a river. There was a splash of water. I had seen this before, but this time it triggered a thought. What if this effect can be associated with shells hitting the ground? Then, we would end up with a very nice effect of the ground rising up in the explosion, then falling. The smoke effect could be kept to obviously create that nice ambience that we currently have. Of course, I hear you ask that the water would look odd now, but that's because I forgot to mention that the water splash effect should be able to be recoloured to a brown dirt colour.

If this works I think we could end up with a nice WW1 style shell explosion.

Thoughts?

Edit - Here's an image of some splashes I just took to help you visualise it without going into the game:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edit2 - Here's an actual image of a shell exploding (trench mortar in particular here), to see the similarity apart from colour:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by a tw player; August 19, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

Default Re: Idea - Even more realistic shelling?

We have to find were the damn water splash is, I never saw it when I was fiddling around with the explosions but maybe someone else knows were it might be found (maybe there is a secret "effects" table other than the one for blood land explosions and stuff)
    Good idea btw +rep !
    Patronized by Hader.

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Hello,

Just had a thought on how we can make the shell fire look more realistic. I know some very good work was done to make the explosion look more dirty, but I think I just thought of a way to get rid of the "brown gas" effect that happens, rather than dirt rising then falling. No idea if it can be done, but I have a feeling it might be able to be done, so here it goes.

I was playing a battle earlier on vanilla, and a cannonball hit into a river. There was a splash of water. I had seen this before, but this time it triggered a thought. What if this effect can be associated with shells hitting the ground? Then, we would end up with a very nice effect of the ground rising up in the explosion, then falling. The smoke effect could be kept to obviously create that nice ambience that we currently have. Of course, I hear you ask that the water would look odd now, but that's because I forgot to mention that the water splash effect should be able to be recoloured to a brown dirt colour.

If this works I think we could end up with a nice WW1 style shell explosion.

Thoughts?
    Indeed, a great thought mate. +rep

Also, would it be able to make the gas from the explosions stay around longer? If you look at the WW1 videos, you see a smoke cloud rising from the explosion and drifting away.
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Loving it.

The idea that is, not McDonalds.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Pretty simply to do, need to recolour the splash though.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Great idea man! +rep of course, included in the next release perhaps?

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

good thinking, have some rep on me

Thanks guys, it's good to hear that it's possible too

Oooh, got myself 2 thingies now
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Artifex

So do you still want the old explosion with this as well or do you just want this?

Hmmmm, just had a quick look in the PFM and found these files:

emp_watersplash_diffuse.dds
    emp_watersplash_diffuse.tga

They were in data-->effects-->textures

Not sure if they're the right files, or if you even already know where to look, but they at least sound right anyway
    My specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Josst View Post
    So do you still want the old explosion with this as well or do you just want this?
    Well I was thinking just this, but with the smoke still lingering around the battle from them as they do now
    My specs:

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

I think that splashes are tied to projectiles in some DB table known as the 'impacts table'. I am not certain, but I recall working on this in my naval projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Artifex

No, they are in landbattle.xml i just need to add somthing similar to the effects group

Sounds good
    My specs:

AWSOME IDEA UR A GENIUS SEE PPL START THINKING OUT SIDE THE BOX TO GET AROUND OUR PROBLEMS

scoobiedoo's Avatar Foederatus

great idea! as soon as i reach 25 posts i'll give you some rep

Are there any news on this topic? By the way, great idea tw player. +rep

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

In fact, I am pretty certain that this is going to be a part of update 4.5, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Aanker; September 26, 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

Great! +rep for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    In fact, I am pretty certain that this is going to be a part of update 4.5, if I remember correctly.
    Great, does it already have the new texture or is it still simillar to water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast