Page 94 of 209 FirstFirst ... 446984858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104119144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 4178

Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by I3enjaIvIin View Post
    Although I think the mod together with Chris 10's submod already provides a superb playing experience, I was wondering: is there any progress to be reported on revampng the character traits? I haven't checked in for a while and haven't seen anything about it in this topic, so I was just wondering.
    Yes, we are making a LOT of progress. At present, we are working on the Romans and the Parthians....fixing a lot of issues in the former, and adding a lot of stuff in the latter case.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Domesticus

Hopefully the "Coward" bug is getting fixed with that.

Yes im aware of the thread about it, i've tried it and it didnt work.

Have a question.

Will there be a marian reform if the Al is Rome.

EDIT: @ Apple thanks
    Last edited by hannibal344; May 13, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal344 View Post
    Have a question.

Will there be a marian reform if the Al is Rome.
    uhhhh

Lolwut??

There already is.

"By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

Just wanted to congratulate the RS team for making THE most AWSOME mod EVER! I have been playing Rome since it's release and tried countless mods but this one beats them all. You guys are great!
    End of an era

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Just wanted to congratulate the RS team for making THE most AWSOME mod EVER! I have been playing Rome since it's release and tried countless mods but this one beats them all. You guys are great!

I agree!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Thanks guys.

@hannibal344 Yes.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Domesticus

I asked a couple of questions on the "Post your empires" thread, but i figure they have a higher chance of being answered here.

When i first started playing RSII, i was told that factions of the same culture do not share barracks. At a time, i was playing as Sparta and was surprised to see i couldnt retrain/recruit my units on cities of helenic cultures. And since then i've been thinking that this would be the case for every culture.

Now on my Gallaeci campaign, i've been moving further into the balkans and i was surprised to see i could retrain my armies in this region, which was controlled by the Dacians who had been later subjugated by the romans. Infact, one of these settlements (Aquincum i believe) had the last level of barracks, so i could retrain my entire army, since it had elite units(as in those only recruitable from this lvl). I was even more surprised to see that i could do this on Scythia settlements ( think those west and south of Olbia).

Finally the question is: do the factions refered above share the same barracks? If that is the case, then it brings up more question like why do the Gallaeci share barracks with Dacia/Scythia, but dont with the Averni, Belgae, Boii confederation? And if barbarian factions can do this, why not hellenistic factions?

Another question i have is something regardind the treasury, which i've mentioned in a couple of other threads.
    As tone might know, my treasury is over the suposed limit of 250.000. He said that this could be to me not playing with the script activated. This isnt true because everytime i load a campaign the advisor portrait comes up asking me to click it in order to activate said script. Obviously that is what i do.
    For quite some time my treasury was always around the amount mentioned and once in a while reaching 300.000. As i moved north (see the regions mentioned on the previous question) the economy boomed. It went from 250k to 800.000 and is now stable between 400-600 tops( it would be more, but im constantly building aswell).

As you may guess, the question is: how am generating this much money if,according to you guys, there's a limit imposed by the script?
    Last edited by Grimbold; May 13, 2011 at 09:18 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Because of limited amount of 'slots' for buildings in EDB.txt, and plans for a LOT of buildings during development, we had to be careful we didn't use them all and find ourselves backtracking to remove something that got put in. So a few factions share a barracks, though many have their own. Carthage, Rome, Sparta. the Ptolemies, Parthia and Pergamon all have their own individual barracks. The Belgae, Arverni and Boii share a barracks. Pontus and Armenia share one. The Cimbri, Dacia and Gallaeci share one (mainly, because they are distant from each other). Scythia and the Sarmatians share one, and Seleucid and Macedon share a barracks.

So in your case, playing as the Gallaeci...yeah, you'll find that as you get way north or way east into Dacian territory, you'll be able to use their barracks. But, we ended up with one slot left open in EDB, and it was\is needed for individual campaigns. So there just wasn't a way to split every faction into a unique barracks.....though it would've been nice.

I can't really address the script thing, because I have had little to no time to actually play RS2....I'm too busy working on it. But, my understanding is that if you run it faithfully, you shouldn't be able to accumulate cash over 200000 denarii.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Because of limited amount of 'slots' for buildings in EDB.txt, and plans for a LOT of buildings during development, we had to be careful we didn't use them all and find ourselves backtracking to remove something that got put in. So a few factions share a barracks, though many have their own. Carthage, Rome, Sparta. the Ptolemies, Parthia and Pergamon all have their own individual barracks. The Belgae, Arverni and Boii share a barracks. Pontus and Armenia share one. The Cimbri, Dacia and Gallaeci share one (mainly, because they are distant from each other). Scythia and the Sarmatians share one, and Seleucid and Macedon share a barracks.

So in your case, playing as the Gallaeci...yeah, you'll find that as you get way north or way east into Dacian territory, you'll be able to use their barracks. But, we ended up with one slot left open in EDB, and it was\is needed for individual campaigns. So there just wasn't a way to split every faction into a unique barracks.....though it would've been nice.

I can't really address the script thing, because I have had little to no time to actually play RS2....I'm too busy working on it. But, my understanding is that if you run it faithfully, you shouldn't be able to accumulate cash over 200000 denarii.
    If by running carefully you mean activating the script every single time, then that is what im doing.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I do think at one point that income gets so huge that you CAN pass the mark, I did it once with Scythia as a test, disbanding every unit of infantry.(They were all garrisons)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Is there a version of SR2 that has quicker battles? It's quite too long it seems atm.

Sergeant Matt's Avatar Civis

Pfft, the longer the battles the better.

"Veni vidi vici." ~Gaius Julius Caesar

so, after spending some quality time with EB for quite a bit, i decided to give this baby a try. so far it's good enough. the visuals are gorgeous (for a rtw mod ), the music is solid enough (i don't know if it was fixed after the 2.1a+ in a hotfix or something, but there's a typo in the descr_sound_music.txt that, at least for me, greatly reduced the frequency of music in the stratmap. somewhere at the beginning there's an "endy" instead of an "end") and the added detail of the smaller scale stratmap appeals to me (despite the tragic loss of one of my favorite factions, i.e. Baktria ) and i'm greatly enjoying the more "advanced" starting date (love the initial battle vs Hannibal ), but after trying a couple of other factions (other than Rome), namely the sarmatians and parthians, and skimming through the EDU i've noticed something that i find really annoying and immersion-breaking: all (horse) archers have the same range (iirc only the chorasmian cata archer has a greater range than his HA brethren and is equal to other). may i ask what was the reason behind the decision to make the puny toxotai with their shortbows have the same range of the mighty composite bows from the steppe? is it because you were focusing more on polishing up the visuals and traits and stuff and you focused more on rome than the other nations or was it a conscious design decision? because it really makes no bloody sense to me and completely ruins my experience when playing nations that rely heavily on archery

while i'm at it, is there a submod that tries to add some variety to the EDU stats to make for more interesting battles (especially when it comes to archery )?
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Matt View Post
    Pfft, the longer the battles the better.
    All due respect, it's just too long. Flanking, attacking from the rear doesn't make a substantial difference. Maybe half the current time to destroy a unit surrounded by 4 other units would make things a little bit interesting?

Anyway, if it doesn't exist, or engine limits comes in between progress, it's not a problem. But it would be a good addition to this mod.

Say, a version that has kill rates close to RTW vanilla would be nice. I'm just one man, but I could be speaking in behalf of a few people for all we know.

Anyway, mod is much appreciated. RTW would be dead without this mod.

ezopus2's Avatar Civis

HI, guys, I have a small problem - again I dont want to start a new thread for it couse there are already too many, so I hope to get a fix here. Its not really technical problem, but a minor nuisance.

This mod relies on touching your emotions by visuals and music. Playing romans on the battlefield is like beeing there or at least like watching an epic battle in Lord of the Rings or Troy (they really knew how to drag you into the feeling) because of the very nicely selected battlefield music.. So everything is perfect, you get carried away and enjoying your battle.. until the end. And there stops, the music STOPS. There is no music playing while you look at your battle-statistics. But I only noticed this at the romani. Is that wise? Is this happening only to me or...? Can it be fixed?
    Last edited by ezopus2; May 14, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ezopus2 View Post
    HI, guys, I have a small problem - again I dont want to start a new thread for it couse there are already too many, so I hope to get a fix here. Its not really technical problem, but a minor nuisance.

This mod relies on touching your emotions by visuals and music. Playing romans on the battlefield is like beeing there or at least like watching an epic battle in Lord of the Rings or Troy (they really knew how to drag you into the feeling) because of the very nicely selected battlefield music.. So everything is perfect, you get carried away and enjoying your battle.. until the end. And there stops, the music STOPS. There is no music playing while you look at your battle-statistics. But I only noticed this at the romani. Is that wise? Is this happening only to me or...? Can it be fixed?
    Because they're roman dogs and deserve it!

ezopus2's Avatar Civis

Bah, Grimbold, :sparta:, I mean "This is ROMA Surrectum!", so roman dogs deserve to have their own music too...

Thnx for the reply dvk, and I have another question: what is the purpose of the roman naval base building? It seems like it doesn't provide anything new (no increased amount of trade lines, new warships) so maybe this building is redundant or the tech tree not properly linked to what units should become avaibable (since all warships are already available before this building).

Quote Originally Posted by raest View Post
    so, after spending some quality time with EB for quite a bit, i decided to give this baby a try. so far it's good enough. the visuals are gorgeous (for a rtw mod ), the music is solid enough (i don't know if it was fixed after the 2.1a+ in a hotfix or something, but there's a typo in the descr_sound_music.txt that, at least for me, greatly reduced the frequency of music in the stratmap. somewhere at the beginning there's an "endy" instead of an "end") and the added detail of the smaller scale stratmap appeals to me (despite the tragic loss of one of my favorite factions, i.e. Baktria ) and i'm greatly enjoying the more "advanced" starting date (love the initial battle vs Hannibal ), but after trying a couple of other factions (other than Rome), namely the sarmatians and parthians, and skimming through the EDU i've noticed something that i find really annoying and immersion-breaking: all (horse) archers have the same range (iirc only the chorasmian cata archer has a greater range than his HA brethren and is equal to other). may i ask what was the reason behind the decision to make the puny toxotai with their shortbows have the same range of the mighty composite bows from the steppe? is it because you were focusing more on polishing up the visuals and traits and stuff and you focused more on rome than the other nations or was it a conscious design decision? because it really makes no bloody sense to me and completely ruins my experience when playing nations that rely heavily on archery

while i'm at it, is there a submod that tries to add some variety to the EDU stats to make for more interesting battles (especially when it comes to archery )?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Ultimately there are a number of issues:
    1) The RS2 team was only ever very small, so yours truly did much of the stats work as well as much of the graphics
    2) We decided to minimise the massive advantage that Horse Archers get in the game by limiting their range (on the basis that firing from horseback is a little more difficult than firing from standing)
    3) You raise a good point about having different ranges.....if you could make some sensible suggestions, I'm sure that these could potentially be considered
    and possibly incorporated.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.