Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

U could try to save your current campaign and start a new test campaign, hitting end turn a few times. The Persian Satrap should trigger. I've experienced what u described before playing as the Seleucid but it fixed itself when the next generation of FM's started spawning. U could also try to remove the governors from the settlements, hitting end turn and then placing them back in.
    Last edited by Drowsy; March 05, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartas Julius View Post
    So that means it is when Akragas reaches as a large city then..
    ...that is... bleep*. Is there any way to "demote" a city building that you cant destroy... As in demoting large city to normal city? no.?
    You may find it of interest and perhaps would add to the discussion - that I am currently recommending to the Team that they disable the Cimbri Invasion in v2.6 - as it simply 'doesn't work' at present.

Unless the Roman player has anticipated it and/or blocked the routes back North, all the invasion currently accomplishes is a serious boost to the Cimbri war-fighting ability and the likely demise of the Belgae, Averni, Boii or Dacians thereafter.

A 'new' invasion could be designed and tested for a hopeful v2.7. Any thoughts?

PS - I must also note that by simply not having run the script, even just once, your campaign may possibly be corrupted any way and a CTD will occur eventually.
    Last edited by ur-Lord Tedric; March 06, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: PS
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Why have one, there's no reason it has to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    You may find it of interest and perhaps would add to the discussion - that I am currently recommending to the Team that they disable the Cimbri Invasion in v2.6 - as it simply 'doesn't work' at present.

Unless the Roman player has anticipated it and/or blocked the routes back North, all the invasion currently accomplishes is a serious boost to the Cimbri war-fighting ability and the likely demise of the Belgae, Averni, Boii or Dacians thereafter.

A 'new' invasion could be designed and tested for a hopeful v2.7. Any thoughts?

PS - I must also note that by simply not having run the script, even just once, your campaign may possibly be corrupted any way and a CTD will occur eventually.
    I ...some what agree/disagree. The invasion works. I already tested it with old saves. I got a crapload of saves. 2 per turn. Rome.year.season.Number

And I have two per turn, so I load it an old one. And it worked everytime. I made a new game increased akragas to large city and sure enough 2 turns later the cimbri showed up. 3 tests all within 2 turns of Akragas becoming large city.

My issue was that I didn't press the Advisor to start script... I rarely do I just press end turn and I guess the script doesn't run then?.

But to be honest I do agree with the latter point. If the player doesn't have the northern passes protected, all we do is make the Cimbri basically have an unfair advantage up in the north. So my idea is instead of ditching the idea, make the triggers known. I understand it would be a surprise and is all good. But instead of the cimbri spawning in the only northern route, have them be spread out. 2 armies in the northern route, 2 in the north western, 1 near patavium. So you can't exactly ... "contain them".

I dont know if to make the triggers known... but that takes the surprise away. Although it would be a bigger surprise if they were more spread out. I know they come form the north, but having them appear all across northern italy, rather than in just one big clump might make it harder for peace or for them to flee back north. Not sure.

Maybe I did press the advisor and the script was running and it didn't run so my three tests might be inaccurate but thus far 3 times I've done it and the cimbri show...

NOTE:

Any way to make a change in the campaign map? like adding the pharaohs cannal (ancient suez canal linking red sea to nile, nile to Mediterranean?

Anyways, it might be the scripts, but it has worked every other time I was aiming for it... I dont know for sure I'm not a moder so.

NOTE2:

When you mean I might not have ran the script... I must run the script before doing anything else when I start the game right? that is what I am doing now. Just want to make sure.
    Last edited by Spartas Julius; March 06, 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: adding details

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

I've had scenario's where i.e. i was besieging a town with 1 turn left until they had to sally out, while in Akragas the Proconsular's Palace was being completed with 1 turn left to go. I press end turn, battle screen pops up, save the game, complete the battle and the game crashed while exterminating the town. Re-loading from that point on will mean the script won't be running for that turn, instead it will resume when the 'end turn' is finished and u select a random town. No Cimbri will spawn in a scenario like that.

During one campaign the Cimbri had conquered all the way up to Veldideno without my knowledge, as i was busy enslaving the African natives, script spawned the Cimbri armies and i smiled. Tears soon followed.

Another feedback thing:
    Oversight most likely. The Deep Vein mining up to this point you can build without having to make a region economic or fortified. However the deep tunnel mining and the hydraulic mining "requires" economic region from the description. This is however untrue. As I fortified Tarentum and I found I could build after deep vein, I could also build hydraulic and deep tunnel mining. I tested this out in Gadir, I tested it in Pollentia and both led to the same thing. I added population , used process_cq to sped that part of the palace upgrade and fortified the region. Sure enough deep tunnel mining and hydraulic were available for construction even though it was fortified.

So even though the building says "requires economic region" all it requires is either or.. whether I fortify the region or make it an economic power it yields to the same two buildings.

Cheers

----Questions time now

Now that I am on this topic I wanted to ask

Hydraulic mining is always cheaper than deep tunnel mining. But when is it better, which is better depending on what?

Great Example is Carthago nova. Which has Copper, Iron and Silver

precious_metals requires factions
    capability
    {
    mine_resource 12 requires resource gold
    mine_resource 10 requires resource silver
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 16 requires resource copper
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 26 requires resource tin
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 12 requires resource iron
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 12 requires resource lead
    population_health_bonus bonus -2
    }
    construction 4
    cost 3000
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades

}
    weapons_metals requires factions
    capability
    {
    population_health_bonus bonus -2
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 20 requires resource copper
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 20 requires resource tin
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 15 requires resource iron
    taxable_income_bonus bonus 15 requires resource lead
    trade_base_income_bonus 1

thinking the "more expensive is always better" bad idea most of the time. but Carthago nova really confused me...

Somewhere like Apollonia is easy, it has Silver and Tin which off the bat was going for deep tunel mining.

But with Carthago Nova I dont know

Deep tunnel gives 16% for copper and 12% for Iron, which 28%. But it also adds +450 in Silver.

Rather Hydraulic which concentrates in Copper and Iron leads to a 35% tax income bonus

Now to avoid me headaches I made rules for myself.
    If a region has Mines... always go Deep tunnel for silver gold or tin. If it has Copper, Iron or lead then go hydraulic no problem. Arretium is fine because it only has iron and 1 gold and silver mine but not enough to justify it.

Carthago Nova really confuses me. 28% tax trade +450 gold is better than 35% tax income bonus???
    How much does +450 Gold translate in %?
    Last edited by Spartas Julius; March 07, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: correcting

I ...some what agree/disagree. The invasion works. I already tested it with old saves. ...............
    My apologies - you misunderstand. The Cimbri Invasion Script works just fine - multiple tests - never failed (7 armies on 0turn and, now thank goodness, 4 armies on 1turn). The problem is that it accomplishes 'nothing' that the designers would actually like. In the main the Cimbri (unlike Drowsy's singular example) have not normally got anywhere near; and thus those armies simply try to go back North.

I have even blocked all the passes/routes and they still only mill around the Alps looking for a way - and never attacking. Thus all that gets accomplished is either a bit of a nuisance and some training for the Romans, or, more likely a serious boost to the Cimbri!

What has been talked about is trying a 'proper' invasion and making sure the Cimbri actually get a settlement, or perhaps 2 or even 3 (Mediolanon for starters, and perhaps even Genoa and possibly even Arretium (to make sure they get to the Romans).

My issue was that I didn't press the Advisor to start script... I rarely do I just press end turn and I guess the script doesn't run then?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    I've had scenario's where i.e. i was besieging a town with 1 turn left until they had to sally out, while in Akragas the Proconsular's Palace was being completed with 1 turn left to go. I press end turn, battle screen pops up, save the game, complete the battle and the game crashed while exterminating the town. Re-loading from that point on will mean the script won't be running for that turn, instead it will resume when the 'end turn' is finished and u select a random town. No Cimbri will spawn in a scenario like that. .......
    This, Gents, is a probable cause of many problems - as the old messages about the Script say quite clearly....

No ifs or buts - the Script must be activated as soon as the game is loaded. Do not press 'End Turn' before that has happened. I wouldn't even fight a battle or do anything at all. The Script must run before End Turn.

If you have done anything and then suddenly the Advisor pops up when you select a Settlement - then stop, go back and start again - from the Launcher!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

I wouldn't even fight a battle or do anything at all. The Script must run before End Turn.

If you have done anything and then suddenly the Advisor pops up when you select a Settlement - then stop, go back and start again - from the Launcher!
    I'm confused... When you load a game in which you had saved when a battle is imminent (screen where you can see the different armies, etc...), you can't select a settlement, so you must fight the battle before activating the script, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Archesel View Post
    I'm confused... When you load a game in which you had saved when a battle is imminent (screen where you can see the different armies, etc...), you can't select a settlement, so you must fight the battle before activating the script, right?
    Well! After all these years of playing - I've just learned something new - thank you. I have never known you could 'save' at that point. More importantly I've never tried and, having discovered the world of mod's and Background Scripts I never actually would try now. The reason being that, immediately following a battle, the files are modified (the main reason IMHO that CTDs occur). I'm aware the Scripts do many things and not doing them will cause problems. I therefore make sure that I do run the Script(s) immediately on starting/re-starting.

Now, TBH, I do not know whether what you are doing is going to cause a problem - but I avoid the issue by saving before every battle I fight and before the End Turn. 75 years into my latest test and I have not had a single CTD at all - not even finding any bugged squares!

What I don't do is save 'in/at the start of a battle' - because it's a possible source of problems given that files are modified at the end. Personally I would recommend not doing this.

In fact, it is entirely possible that what you have identified that what you, and I'm sure many others who aren't 'innocent' like me, are doing is one of the major possible sources of CTDs - because they aren't running the script 'first'. But that's simply my caution speaking and trying to eliminate every problem.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I've been saving before battle for years and I've never had any problems.

okay if feel like i'm behind in what year did most of you acquire the amount of land to trigger the "Roman Civil War"?

Yes, i have to add that i NEVER experienced a CTD with RS II, though i've played more hours on this mod than other in which i got some CTDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseengenie View Post
    okay if feel like i'm behind in what year did most of you acquire the amount of land to trigger the "Roman Civil War"?
    Do not worry - after 4 separate test campaigns I still never got to the '2nd Rebellion' (the last got close), before I had to restart to test more urgent changes. Having been looking at the issues with the Team around the 2nd Rebellion, however, I'm going to trigger it early as part of looking at the fixes that have been made and need testing in my 5th Test.

As a comparator for your question, however, I'm approaching 40 settlements after ~80 years.

Currently the '2nd Rebellion' has a 1:20 chance of occurring each turn after you have reached 85 settlements. There is therefore a chance that you could complete the the campaign without having the rebellion at all, but it's statistically a small one.
    Last edited by ur-Lord Tedric; March 09, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: sp

You may find it of interest and perhaps would add to the discussion - that I am currently recommending to the Team that they disable the Cimbri Invasion in v2.6 - as it simply 'doesn't work' at present. Unless the Roman player has anticipated it and/or blocked the routes back North, all the invasion currently accomplishes is a serious boost to the Cimbri war-fighting ability and the likely demise of the Belgae, Averni, Boii or Dacians thereafter. A 'new' invasion could be designed and tested for a hopeful v2.7. Any thoughts? PS - I must also note that by simply not having run the script, even just once, your campaign may possibly be corrupted any way and a CTD will occur eventually.
    You're completely spot on. I've played 2.5 as Rome to the Cimbri invasion around 4 times. 3 out of the 4 times they showed up, signed a peace agreement and buggered off to conquer everything. One of the times they stuck around and attacked me but it was managable. I agree - altering it dramatically or removing it would be the best course.

Souka's Avatar Semisalis

Anyone knows the trigger for corrupt judge ancilliary? I seem to be getting them on every governer.

Quote Originally Posted by Souka View Post
    Anyone knows the trigger for corrupt judge ancilliary? I seem to be getting them on every governer.
    There is a trigger(s) and it's multi-faceted. You are either just a little 'unlucky' in that particular campaign and/or might want to review how your Governors are managing their settlements. Doing nothing but taxing them will result in more opportunities for corruption.

I advise making sure that all your Governors get an 'Honest Advisor' (who then reduces the chances of Corrupt Judges, Sloppy Scribes and Questors, et al) and also look to getting 8 more useful Ancillaries on them.

But the trigger(s) is just fine - promise. It's one of the things that works as intended (in fact the Ancillary section is just about right). It's Traits that don't, due to the vagaries of statistics that need a good review.

Souka's Avatar Semisalis

So higher taxes will give governors corrupted traits/ancilliaries? Thought there were no downside to taxes except unrest.

Honest advisor's come from library/academy buildings?
    Last edited by Souka; March 09, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Make sure every governor gets a Honest Adviser, Magistrate and Scribe, the latter two will prevent u from obtaining a corrupt judge, sloppy scribe and sly advisor. I usually 'dump' those bad ancillaries on the 55+ who's often positive traits cancel the bad out.

Hello, people.
    I must thank all of you for this mod, I am playing and loving it. Basically, returned to Rome: Total War for it.
    But, since I am kinda of a noob in it yet, I am having kind of a problem... you see, I play for like 5 to 10 year in a game, trying to get the trade structures (roads, shipyards, and structures that gives trade bonus), getting trade agreements with everyone and still... is hard to reduce my dependence on my capital's taxes. I was never able to get past four figures with my trade income. Hell, even farming income, don't matter how much I invest.

So, would you guys kindly tell me if there is any economic guide for this game (general, preferentially... but I can learn even with a well explained AAR) and lend me the link?

In 2.7 can you change the second rebellion from a Counter on how many settlement the player owns to a projected year instead, so every one can feel the effects of such a event.
    Last edited by Unseengenie; March 09, 2013 at 06:51 PM.