Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Pedro el Cruel's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Thank you for the quick reply. And waiting with patience!!!

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Basiliscus View Post
    If we manage to fix this, it will be available in the next patch, which will be released in a couple of months...
    By those words I understand that you are continuing with this mod to make it even better. I have just begun playing it and like it so far.

I know it's a very early question to ask. But do you think you'll mod "Rome 2" aswell, or is the work with this mod enough for you? I'm pretty sure there will be things with Rome 2 that modders, and those who play mods, think could be different.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

I don't think the current team will continue working on RSII (RSIII) for Rome 2, for a couple of reasons: first, we aren't even sure if the game will be completely moddable from the start, second, we'd probably have to learn doing things in new programs, which would take time, third, I'm pretty sure dvk and tone have been pretty tired working on RSII and wouldn't be willing to put the same amount of work into the sequel.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

I'm fairly convinced RSII will still be more engaging, immersive, and all around better even when Rome II is released.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Civis

Hello to ya'll,

I have two questions about the gameplay in Roma Surrectum 2.5. I know some of you have the answers to them and I hope you'll share them with me.

The first question is about playing RS 2.5 with RTW-BI installed. I remember that in BI, when you had besieged and captured a settlement you could deside whether keeping it as you own or sack and loot it to boost up your economy. I think you also could use old school racketing and demand money from the city council to walk away. Am I right when I assume it works the same way in RS 2.5 with BI? Or was that maybe something you could do only if you played as one of the factions of the Germanic or steppe peoples? If you played as one of the roman factions, Franks, Sassanids or any other larger faction you couldn't maybe do that?

The other question is about playing battles without enabling Pause for getting an overview of what is happening on the battlefield and being able to plan how to move your units without risking being a nervous wreck when the battle is over, and hopefully won. I know that some people play battles without enabling pause. They move their units on the battlefield as good as they can while trying to keep track on what is happening with units they might have outside of the screen. My question about this way of playing battles is the following. When you play online or on lan against another individual both of you are hopefully just as quick and sharp about keeping track on your enemies movements and what counter movement you should do. But when you play against the AI isn't that like playing against a whole team of individuals? Isn't the AI able to "see" your one movement, do a calculation of 0 and 1 and then make several movements on different areas of the battlefield in different directions at the same time? If the AI has that advantage over us don't those of you who play without enabling Pause give the AI the chance to decimate your units in a higher degree than an individual would have been able to?

I know it's only a game and shouldn't be taken too seriously. But when you do whatever you can to keep the enemy away from obliterating your units, capturing your settlements and interfering with your trade routes while you at the same time do whatever is in your power to keep the inhabitants happy and the economy strong enough should you really let the AI decimate your units which cost a lot of money to retrain?

I maybe take this game much too serious and should visit a shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Pethom View Post
    Hello to ya'll,

I have two questions about the gameplay in Roma Surrectum 2.5. I know some of you have the answers to them and I hope you'll share them with me.

The first question is about playing RS 2.5 with RTW-BI installed. I remember that in BI, when you had besieged and captured a settlement you could deside whether keeping it as you own or sack and loot it to boost up your economy. I think you also could use old school racketing and demand money from the city council to walk away. Am I right when I assume it works the same way in RS 2.5 with BI? Or was that maybe something you could do only if you played as one of the factions of the Germanic or steppe peoples? If you played as one of the roman factions, Franks, Sassanids or any other larger faction you couldn't maybe do that?
    I think you're referring to the 'sack' option which the hordes in BI had. There are no hordes in RSII, so you can't 'sack a city and leave'. Once conquering the city you have three options: occupy, enslave or depopulate (exterminate).

The other question is about playing battles without enabling Pause for getting an overview of what is happening on the battlefield and being able to plan how to move your units without risking being a nervous wreck when the battle is over, and hopefully won. I know that some people play battles without enabling pause. They move their units on the battlefield as good as they can while trying to keep track on what is happening with units they might have outside of the screen. My question about this way of playing battles is the following. When you play online or on lan against another individual both of you are hopefully just as quick and sharp about keeping track on your enemies movements and what counter movement you should do. But when you play against the AI isn't that like playing against a whole team of individuals? Isn't the AI able to "see" your one movement, do a calculation of 0 and 1 and then make several movements on different areas of the battlefield in different directions at the same time? If the AI has that advantage over us don't those of you who play without enabling Pause give the AI the chance to decimate your units in a higher degree than an individual would have been able to?
    You're giving to much credit to AI ... especially the battle AI isn't as good as you 'fear'.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I maybe take this game much too serious and should visit a shrink.

Playing without pause is the best and not really difficult. I never played with pause these 6 years I play TW, I don't consider myself particularly good at battles, I really care about the money loss from the soldiers I lose by playing without pause, but I do consider it a key element of realism and it makes the game somewhat more challenging

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Audacia View Post
    I'm fairly convinced RSII will still be more engaging, immersive, and all around better even when Rome II is released.
    That's a really nice thing to say. Thank you.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Civis

... you can't 'sack a city and leave'...
    Darn it! It would have been great to send an army to the area north of The Pyrenees to sack and loot the independent tribes (free people) there and then leave it to them or to the Arverni to build it up.

I'm new to Roma Surrectum 2, so I have questions to ask. But I think you're used to answering questions as popular as your mod is. My next question concerns Forced Diplomacy. I understand that the best, and maybe only, way to use forced diplomacy is when I want a ceasefire and although my enemy is better off accepting, he replies "We haven't yet stopped wanting your blood". So I should offer something and ask for ceasefire.

I wonder if forced diplomacy also can be used in the means of encouraging a faction to keep fighting a war he's already in, but now has went to a stall (<- I guess it's the right expression). I'm playing as Gallaeci and have had good relations to Carthage ever since the first time my diplomat met a representative of them. We aren't allies but also don't bother each other, except from me sending spies into their settlements Gadir and Sagunton which they killed. I want them to keep fighting their war with Rome because it's good for me. The thing is that Rome have the city Emporiae by the Iberian east coast and have now attacked me with three armies. I managed to crush one and am waiting on a bridge for the other two to attack me (holding a bridge is always an easy win with spearmen, units throwing javelins and one or two units of cavalry ).

What I would like to do is to use my diplomat to offer Carthage money to attack Emporiae which hopefully will keep Rome away from me for another couple of turns. I'm not being too cunning and luring Carthage to do something they wouldn't want to. They're already at war with Rome anyway. If I offer Carthage money to attack Emporiae they maybe accept but don't do anything. Can I in this situation use forced diplomacy to make this proposition with the effect that they actually do something?

.. you can't 'sack a city and leave'...
    Applies only to some certain factions, the Romans, greeks, civilized nations had different objectives, targets and views on conquered lands, cities, socities, a gaulish invasion is much different, and in turn has different objectives, it did'n involve the culture-changing/building up process a more 'sophisticated' state would take, the gaulish and senone invasion of italy, and greece, the gauls went inside several italian cities including rome and did'n "take or build them up", they sacked them and left, another example is the gallic invasion of greece, thrace, and anatolia

just clarifying a point that being a faction from the late antiquity does'n automatically mean you can freely sack and leave and being a classic antiquity-faction means you don't.

I think you're referring to the 'sack' option which the hordes in BI had. There are no hordes in RSII, so you can't 'sack a city and leave'. Once conquering the city you have three options: occupy, enslave or depopulate (exterminate).'.
    Why is there no such option in RS II? BI engine makes it possible not? I'm guessing a coding issue.
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Not everyone uses the BI exe.

But as an option for those who did? I'm not a modder I don't know whether this entails a lot of work
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    Applies only to some certain factions, the Romans, greeks, civilized nations had different objectives, targets and views on conquered lands, cities, socities, a gaulish invasion is much different, and in turn has different objectives, it did'n involve the culture-changing/building up process a more 'sophisticated' state would take, the gaulish and senone invasion of italy, and greece, the gauls went inside several italian cities including rome and did'n "take or build them up", they sacked them and left, another example is the gallic invasion of greece, thrace, and anatolia

just clarifying a point that being a faction from the late antiquity does'n automatically mean you can freely sack and leave and being a classic antiquity-faction means you don't.
    I'm not talking from the historical point of view, but the mod's.

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    Why is there no such option in RS II? BI engine makes it possible not? I'm guessing a coding issue.
    From the very start of RS, the team has decided not to include that feature. I don't know about the difficulties of implementing this option, but I guess there would be a lot of work needed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    THATS MY OPINION TO,its gonna be a great game ROME II but not gonna have they depth of RSII no mather what they say

iff ROME II is moddable you and the team are gonna make RS III for us????
    or is that to mutch asked
    happy newyear

Civis

What I would like to do is to use my diplomat to offer Carthage money to attack Emporiae which hopefully will keep Rome away from me for another couple of turns.
    I have to quote myself. I competely forgot that my diplomat can't ask any faction to attack a certain settlement. He can only ask them to attack a certain faction.

But if I can use forced diplomacy in the way I mentioned above, they'd maybe besiege Emporiae anyway because it's on the way to Italy from Spain where they have two cities.

Averroes19's Avatar Miles

So, I am wondering, whether I should do a Ptolemy or Seleucid campaign. Need a second campaign next to the current EB Romani one I am running. Any suggestions?

But if I can use forced diplomacy in the way I mentioned above, they'd maybe besiege Emporiae anyway because it's on the way to Italy from Spain where they have two cities.
    From my experience that seldom works. Had an alliance with Cimbri for a long time, used to give them 1000 denarii every turn just so they don't get crazy ideas, then the Arverni attacked me so i payed the Cimbri 50000 denarii to attack them. About 5 turns later 7 stacks of cimbrian army invaded me -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes19 View Post
    So, I am wondering, whether I should do a Ptolemy or Seleucid campaign. Need a second campaign next to the current EB Romani one I am running. Any suggestions?
    Seleucids are by far the most challenging to play economic wise, so if you want to sell your kidneys to maintain your empire then play with them, else go with the Ptolemy.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    You're welcome, but it is simply true! You and the team have provided thousands of fans with hours upon hours of enjoyment. Roma Surrectum simply cannot be matched.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Cresilia's Avatar Tiro

Hello there!

I have been playing Roma Surrectum for a few weeks and I must say it is a blast! Vanilla R:TW has nothing on the epic scale of RS. Its amazing and I want to thank all the devs.

I started a Rome M/M 1-turn campaign and I got a fairly good idea of how to start etc. I made it past Hannibal, crushed Carthage, and ground the Gallaeci (?) down in an epic 30 year long war. It is about 620 ish AUC and I triggered the Marian Reforms. I have most of Italy upgraded to the point where I can recruit the new named and numbered legionaries as well as the generic legions. However I seem to have a problem with my neighbor.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Greek City States are on an absolute warpath, and they are about to steamroll the Averni which are my allies but severely weakened. I attempted to put a halt on the GCS by invading Greece proper, I took the Peloponesse, Thebes and Athens before I was pushed out. That campaign ended in disaster with the loss of 4 characters and 2 of the pre-Marian legions I had committed. I regrouped and tried again, pushing 4 pre-Marian legions down the Segestica/Salonae corridor, but this was also was beaten back, with me losing another 2 of the 4 committed legions.

My question is is it even worth it to continue, or will it be a futile gesture? The Greeks economy and military outclass mine immensely and they seem to be spamming elite Dacian Falxmen at a very high rate. Every stack has them, which absolutely destroys my legions. Any tips?