Page 18 of 209 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627284368118 ... LastLast

Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: What does it take to get a command star?

I wouldn't mind so much, but playing as Rome Carthage seems to be crapping out 3-star generals all over the place. Young 'uns too! Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a bunch of politicians and merchants for my young generals (except one monster who's a 2-star general who gets a whopping +5 stars when attacking at night! ). Are there particular buildings that produce more martial-minded generals if recruited in the same city?

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

The AI always starts with more stars than the player as a compensation for it's stupidity.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

in BAIs defence I noticed 1st turn battle vs Hannibal it wouldn't let me separate the general from the rest of the army as much as i tried to goad him into chasing my cavalry he stayed with 2 units of infantry and 2 units of cavalry wherever he went and only did the suicide charge when all was almost lost for his troops

Based on my own experience playing Rome, you really have to babysit your generals in order for them to get command stars.

First off, you need to find a young general with potential, ie. having no bad traits at all, and then you need to make him the leading general of your republic. This is what I do with my leading general, and he usually ends up having lots of command star (Scipio now has 9 command stars when attacking):

1) Give him the doctor / herbalist retinue and all the command / attack retinues as well.
    2) Fight all your battles with him in command, preferably against several stacks at the same time. The Leading General should be the one to spearhead new conquests, all other generals are back-up.
    3) Only take settlements with him in command of a legion. IE, you can lay siege to several cities at the same time, but when you are about to assualt swap out the other general and put your Leading General in command.
    4) Never leave him in a city, except to upgrade his weapons / armour.
    5) Auto-resolve! This works magic.

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Centaurion View Post
    Based on my own experience playing Rome, you really have to babysit your generals in order for them to get command stars.

First off, you need to find a young general with potential, ie. having no bad traits at all, and then you need to make him the leading general of your republic. This is what I do with my leading general, and he usually ends up having lots of command star (Scipio now has 9 command stars when attacking):

1) Give him the doctor / herbalist retinue and all the command / attack retinues as well.
    2) Fight all your battles with him in command, preferably against several stacks at the same time. The Leading General should be the one to spearhead new conquests, all other generals are back-up.
    3) Only take settlements with him in command of a legion. IE, you can lay siege to several cities at the same time, but when you are about to assualt swap out the other general and put your Leading General in command.
    4) Never leave him in a city, except to upgrade his weapons / armour.
    5) Auto-resolve! This works magic.
    Yeah, like losing thousands of troops in "cleaning" or "finisher" battles

Quote Originally Posted by Medkirtys View Post
    Yeah, like losing thousands of troops in "cleaning" or "finisher" battles
    I agree that you have to manually fight battles at the start when your General has 1-3 command stars, but when he has 4+ you gain experience and command stars a lot faster if you auto-resolve. You don't lose much troops either.

I auto-resolved this battle:

By centaurion at 2010-09-11

Chicken's Avatar Senator

I agree that you have to manually fight battles at the start when your General has 1-3 command stars, but when he has 4+ you gain experience and command stars a lot faster if you auto-resolve. You don't lose much troops either.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

tbh I don't believe that you auto resolved this without cheats
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

Heh, I didn't believe my eyes either when I saw that heroic victory screen popping up. But I did not cheat. I don't know how to cheat and get a heroic victory.

To make matters worse, he was also ambushed.

BTW: I can upload the save-file to that campaign if you want.

mastaace's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

when do i get access to hypaspists, hetairoi, royal peltasts etc as macedon. didn't seem to find a building which allows me to recruite them. or are they 'late' units?

and i had an issue with river battles (without bridge). the AI army wasn't willing to cross the river, even though it attacked me. i didn't want to commit suicide by making the move myself as i was outnumbered and had to defence that strategic position at all costs - so i hit fast forward and waited. pretty annoying. did anybody have the same problem?
    still, this was the one and only issue i encountered so far.
    Last edited by mastaace; September 11, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Any elite units are recruited from an elite barracks. For this you need a fortified or merged fortified/economic city and weapons metals import.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

srsly, are you

mastaace's Avatar Ordinarius

thanks for the quick answer mate! obviously i still need to figure out the economic system...

Ave!

I use RSII on RTW-BI.- 1.6 and work perfectly. but I have some questions:
    1. I try to install Alex 1.9 -was is missing for mee yet.
    How better Alex AI as BI Ai ?? Better campaign AI like BI ?Or better battle AI too ?
    2. If i try installing Alex 1.9 , may i deinstall RSII ? Or i can simply over it?( and yes sorry my bad english)

Foederatus

How do i introduce 1 turn recruitment on RS2 and can i continue playing my 0 turn recruitment campaign when i add one turn recruitment or do i have to start a different campaign?

Any plans to make submod replacing Sparta with another Free people faction? I liked the free people and rebel factions in RS1. I know 1-turn campaigns have free people and rebels but I prefer 0-turn campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What was the enemy army made up of? Because if it was stuff like skirmishers and light infantry, that's well within the possibilities of auto-resolve.

Valiant The Brave's Avatar Decanus

I once had a auto-resolve Heroic victory of 3700 kills and only 400 lost(5 star general, 3 silver chevron polybian cohorts) so it's possible against low quality if you have a good general and good exp on your units.

'They thought i was stupid but i proved them' Phillip J. Fry
    Futurama, mine favorite show!

Correction, It is now My Little Pony.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Weren't there many more regions in RS1? Where'd they all go?

Why does the governors name change to "The Cruel" when an Awsome Temple of Minerva is built?

Is Forced diplomacy activiated in the 1-turn campaign? or is it only available in 0-turn?