Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Is there a map of resources? That is, a map that tells which province has what resource (silver, gold, iron, copper, wine, fish, etc.)? I'm asking because you can build mines in Corsica, but nowhere on the map of Corsica does a mine appear, so I can't mouse over the (non-existant) mine, and thus cannot tell what resource it has.

GurneyMan's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    I absolutely assure you it's not the mod and therefore nothing to do with Traits. No such CTDs here - even once in 8 months - ~5000 battles.

Post Battle CTDs are, I am 99% convinced, down to file modifications - modifications that this old engine does that Windows and Anti-Virus programs no longer think acceptable; mostly the latter.
    Hi Guys

Just started RSII this week. RSII Looks great.

No probs with download or install bar that I can't play the Roman campaign - end of battle crash with Hannibal all the time - reduced grahics setting, stopped Norton AV but just can't get passed this first battle.

Seems to play with Egypt (I know this is not correct name) campaign on the highest settings with anti-virus on. Will do a new install once I find a new copy of RTW (current disk is a bit scratched) and see if this fixes the prob. Until then I'll have fun with the other factions.

Quote Originally Posted by GurneyMan View Post
    "...Norton AV..."
    That's your problem right there. Uninstall that crap and get yourself something good, like, oh, say, anything else. I recommend Avast or AVG. Norton is notorious for being a bloated piece of system-resource-hogging crap.

That's your problem right there. Uninstall that crap and get yourself something good, like, oh, say, anything else. I recommend Avast or AVG. Norton is notorious for being a bloated piece of system-resource-hogging crap.

when you have norton installed. everything in your computer is a virus

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    when you have norton installed. everything in your computer is a virus
    Whilst almost entirely correct - there is a caveat.....

The Norton suite of AV/Internet Safety programs is actually brilliant at it's job. It will protect you. However, it is a robust and brute force approach and is therefore intolerant of programs that try to be clever - like many games, that really stretch the parameters.

If you do a bit of light office work, run around on the internet and/or let children use the PC - then Norton is just fine.

It, however, does not like RTW!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

GurneyMan's Avatar Civis

Thanks. I note all that is said about Norton, but in all my years of playing TW games, it does not seem to have affected any (well ... maybe not until now). It seems odd that I can play my current Egypt campaign with little problem but the Rome campaign (specifically the Hannibal battle) is a problem. It is not crashing during the Hannibal battle but when it is completed (and battle stats provided) and I click the box to return to the campaign map. I see in the threads others have had this prob as well but the solution is unclear - hence I will find a new RTW disk and re-install and we shall see.

I spent some time for investigations and found out how to fix curiahostilia in ephesos and some other cities:

open export_descr_buildings.txt
    replace building_present_min_level hinterland_historic historic_3
    with hidden_resource rome
    save

Rebellion bug fixed too - fixed problems with triggers in export_descr_ancillaries. So rebellion works how it should now

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22360...2_5_hotfix.zip

I hope this post will not be lost. Sorry if this is already known...

GurneyMan's Avatar Civis

Fresh install with RTW-Gold and I got past the first battle with Hannibal - now off to work out how to play RSII!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good luck...did you beat Hannibal ?

GurneyMan's Avatar Civis

Yes ... but I'm playing on M/M to work out the game and I had three armies attacking him. Not doing so well in this proper campaign I've started - rebellions and Carthage invasions - man this is more difficult than the original!

I know not to play on VH campaign due to it being broken, but are VH battles broken? Would a H/VH campaign work fine?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I wouldn't recommend VH battles, the AI gets bonuses -which is fair enough- but peasants get gold chevrons and can easily beat your elites

lol

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Ah yes the lol family...very influential in Carthage
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

delmat's Avatar Tiro

what happened to the corinthian hoplites and naupaktos hoplites? I don't see them in the custom battle army panel anymore nor can I get them by randomizing army..I have installed RS with the latest installer..thanks for answer

nevermind..I figured they are only available when I change EDU to fewer stacks, shorter battles..you can delete my post
    Last edited by delmat; October 04, 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Does anyone know what the 'legion recruitment range' of the various cities are when you've built a Roman Fortress or a Curia Hostilla? A Roman Fortress in Messana for example allows recruitment of the Lilybaeum legion (XI), the messana legion (III) and the Capua legion (VII). Similarly, a fortress at Arretium allows recruitement of its legion and neighbouring Arminium. On the other hand, fortresses in Capua and Cannae only allow recruitment of those cities' legions alone.

I remember seeing a table showing the legion locations a while back, but it seemed to have lots of non-Italian settlements and appeared to conflict with the information given in the game itself (possibly relating to an earlier version of the mod).

What I would like to know, really, is where to build the roman fortress and hostilla buildings to get the most benefit out of them - given that you can't always have every settlement as a fortified or combined region.
    Currently following these promising mods - Imperia Antiquitatis by Splenyi
    Traits, Talents, and Toadies
    by Hellbent
    Real Roman Reforms
    by Aodh Mor
    Unit Icons project
    by Bullgod
    Also recommended:
    City Sack, Liberation and Diplomatic Options
    by Dresden

Greetings.
    I have downloaded RS II again after my computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows!The old files were saved, but the original RS II data was somehow corrupted. What I have is the following install files: 6 files altogether. The first is a windows installer file (2373 KB), then 4 cabinet files (each 512,000 KB), then an RS II setup file (245 KB). I am deeply confused about how exactly to install these files, and in which order. My original install was done using an 'all-in-one' file that did the process in one action, rather than having a group of smaller files! Can someone please give me the 'Idiots Guide to Installing RS II' using these files I have mentioned? Thanks and sorry but I'm not as technical as others with these things!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Macleod View Post
    Greetings.
    I have downloaded RS II again after my computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows!The old files were saved, but the original RS II data was somehow corrupted. What I have is the following install files: 6 files altogether. The first is a windows installer file (2373 KB), then 4 cabinet files (each 512,000 KB), then an RS II setup file (245 KB). I am deeply confused about how exactly to install these files, and in which order. My original install was done using an 'all-in-one' file that did the process in one action, rather than having a group of smaller files! Can someone please give me the 'Idiots Guide to Installing RS II' using these files I have mentioned? Thanks and sorry but I'm not as technical as others with these things!
    Frankly, if you have files that are corrupted, I would start over with a complete reinstall. Just keep your saves.

In a nutshell:
    1) Install RTW.
    2) Install BI (optional)
    3) Patch RTW to 1.5 (and BI to 1.6 if you installed BI)
    4) Install ALX (optional)
    6) Make a new folder somewhere that IS NOT in the "program files" or "program files (x86)" folder. Something like C:\Games\RS2.
    5) From the directory you installed RTW to, copy all the files & folders from there to the new folder you created in step 6.
    6) Download RS2.5 from http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=561599
    7) Install RS2.5 to the folder you created in step 6.

The page I linked to above gives you detailed installation instructions.

I have edited a text file twice now to help add units to the game, this has worked, twice and ive played with two new units i added from europa barborum.

However, twice, the game has "reset itself" so to speak and the saved changes to the text files I made have vanished and its extremely frustrating.

Is this even possible or have I don goofed somewhere?

Does it have something to do with selecting or unselecting the "high resolution battle models?" In which case should i leave that option alone.

BTW this is RS 2.5

Im pretty sure now its something to do with the files replacing themselves.

If i want to edit the battle units do i change the master copy of the DMB in the "important text" file.

I also edit things like export_descr_unit

has this now also reset?

sigh.... so many hours wasted...

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Singleton View Post
    I have edited a text file twice now to help add units to the game, this has worked, twice and ive played with two new units i added from europa barborum.

However, twice, the game has "reset itself" so to speak and the saved changes to the text files I made have vanished and its extremely frustrating.

Is this even possible or have I don goofed somewhere?

Does it have something to do with selecting or unselecting the "high resolution battle models?" In which case should i leave that option alone.

BTW this is RS 2.5

Im pretty sure now its something to do with the files replacing themselves.

If i want to edit the battle units do i change the master copy of the DMB in the "important text" file.

I also edit things like export_descr_unit

has this now also reset?

sigh.... so many hours wasted...
    Is this happening in 1-turn or 0-turn ? they have different folders for data. Maybe high res. changes the dmb fille you have to check that also.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE