Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

you should have to add Numudia Kingdom to 2.6 it will be uber cool and historically correct

I was wondering why cavalry upkeeps are so low, in comparison to infantry upkeep?

men in a cavalry unit are generally less then foot units.

also so cavalry units are actually very expensive, however infantry remain at top

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    the one real Phalanx army that Rome faced, that of Pyhrrus
    Did the Macedonians not field phalanxes?

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by MrCrapsley View Post
    Did the Macedonians not field phalanxes?
    They did.I think Tedric is refering to the best lead army phalanx. In the macedonian battles the old habits of Alexander seemed to fall into oblivion, so there was no cavalry involvement and the phalanx was left to fight alone.
    Last edited by Sertorio; August 01, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

The Pyrrhic Phalanx was not real. Pyrrhus realized how Vulnerable It was through Heraclea and Asculum. And Added Lots of non-phalanx Mercs alongside it

the Real phalanx the Romans faced was the Macedonian one, followed by selucid

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    They did.I think Tedric is refering to the best lead army phalanx. In the macedonian battles the old habits of Alexander seemed to fall into oblivion, so there was no cavalry involvement and the phalanx was left to fight alone.
    Ah, I thought so

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Hey aren't there any Lorica Squamata legions? Thats what the Eastern legions wore right?

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    men in a cavalry unit are generally less then foot units.

also so cavalry units are actually very expensive, however infantry remain at top
    That doesn't really answer the question though.

So I can get for instance 2 units of Companion cavalry, for one unit of low tiered Theuropoi (sp), that will cause loads more damage in battles, and a million times more effective.

This cannot be right surely?

Think it's a matter of "flexibility", yes of course cavalry has its glorious uses on the open battlefield... But when you come to assulting a city, they suddenly are at a disadvantage.
    Furthermore, cavalry are in general vulnerable to missile fire.
    Another thing is that they get spooked by elephants.
    They are a high tier unit, which means that retraining them at the front, takes some preparation, compared to simply going out and more or less staying on the march.

Just for summing up a few drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalos View Post
    I was wondering why cavalry upkeeps are so low, in comparison to infantry upkeep?
    Think that was made so in order to get the AI raising cavalry units. I know thats the reason for the low recruiting costs. Maybe the upkeep has the same reason.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    Think that was made so in order to get the AI raising cavalry units. I know thats the reason for the low recruiting costs. Maybe the upkeep has the same reason.
    Ok, that might make sense. I guess it's not possible to have higher upkeep costs on just the player then?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalos View Post
    Ok, that might make sense. I guess it's not possible to have higher upkeep costs on just the player then?
    No, sadly not. This is one of the things I've been pursuing with the Team over the last few months and it's tricky. Cavalry, as well as Archers, should be much more limited to the Player than they actually are (due to things like: cost; availability; training time; etc). However, both costs (and time to build perhaps) also affect what the AI chooses to build, therefore the EDUs are balanced (and being balanced again at the moment by tone) to help the AI produce better, more realistic and 'balanced' armies for the player to fight. The Player has to just limit himself a bit to match that.

What is being done, however, is to ensure that units are more balanced, by type, vis a vis each other, to hopefully reduce anomalies to a minimum; by a re-calculation of the costs and removal of any 'funny' factors. I hope to get my hands on the new Roma-1turn EDU soon.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Anyone know what I have to do in order to get multiple stacks fight it out on the battlefield? Getting the "reinforcements delayed" message a lot...
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Anyone know what I have to do in order to get multiple stacks fight it out on the battlefield? Getting the "reinforcements delayed" message a lot...
    Reinforcements delayed is just a random event - it will just happen.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza93 View Post
    Hey aren't there any Lorica Squamata legions? Thats what the Eastern legions wore right?
    There's no real evidence to suggest which legions wore what - as far as our best goes, every legion was a bit of a mix & match of squamata, hamata and segmentata...
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Edit preferences for unlimited men on the battlefield.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Senator

Any way to increase the amount the AI builds roads? Maybe by increasing the trade bonus or decreasing the tax penalty, or just decreasing the cost? It's kinda stupid when I have awesome highways and the Romans don't even have the basic dirt roads in some of their provinces. That, and my trade caravans just roll into the hills and disappear

Edit - Also, I can't open "edit RSII preferences" on the launcher. It just tells me it's unable to open the .txt file. Any suggestions? Or can I just open the .txt file manually and change trues to false and vice versa?
    Last edited by Larkin; August 03, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

very well...emh...when came out 2.6?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    Any way to increase the amount the AI builds roads? Maybe by increasing the trade bonus or decreasing the tax penalty, or just decreasing the cost? It's kinda stupid when I have awesome highways and the Romans don't even have the basic dirt roads in some of their provinces. That, and my trade caravans just roll into the hills and disappear

Edit - Also, I can't open "edit RSII preferences" on the launcher. It just tells me it's unable to open the .txt file. Any suggestions? Or can I just open the .txt file manually and change trues to false and vice versa?
    I believe you can do just that, just make shure you are changing the right one, there is probably one preferences file for each.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE