Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

recruitment is sorta retarded in here. I Can regularly find celtic heavy spearmen in Egypt and recruit thrakian Psioli In greece. lol

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    recruitment is sorta retarded in here. I Can regularly find celtic heavy spearmen in Egypt and recruit thrakian Psioli In greece. lol
    I think celts are mentioned in the ptolemaic army at Raphia, and Greeks most probably employed mercenaries from Thrace....
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    There is, but it will involve a great deal of work that you may not be happy to do....

You will have to change every incidence of every name you change in every file it appears - and there are 100's of occurrences.
    Ah, that. Oh well, thanks for your reply

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by General Sultan V View Post
    Read the unit descriptions

Well you cant find celtic heavy spearmen mercs every few turns avilable for recruitment in places like Egypt...

Also why are there levy clubman mercs South of modern day libya?

What do I put into the Steam Set Launch Options to be able to play custom battles? The download and steam instructions only give all the commands for each faction. For example, while I was playing as Rome, the line was "-mod:play_Rome -show_err".

Now I hoped the launcher itself would just do the trick. But maybe it's steam or Rome not being updated, or being updated, but I can't play unless I check all boxes in the launcher but start Rome from steam itself. Otherwise I get the error "failed to find steam." I also get the error if I don't put the line -mod line in, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

Do you think Rome should be able to train some basic units to garrison front-line settlements a bit earlier? Roman settlements outside area 6 currently have to be at least cities to be able to train units.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

I think it's fine really. Generally if u can't get troops in time to an era it means u have expanded to quickly, i.e. didn't build up an millitary orientated settlement along the way.

But should every settlement be able to recruit at least a basic unit, like Levy pikemen of Greek factions, in time of need?

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by GondorCaptain View Post
    What do I put into the Steam Set Launch Options to be able to play custom battles? The download and steam instructions only give all the commands for each faction. For example, while I was playing as Rome, the line was "-mod:play_Rome -show_err".
    Just remove it, when there's no campaign set it takes you to Custom Battles only

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Speirs View Post
    Thanks, and do you recommend doing so?? In other words; will they "spawn" again when a character dies for instance? For example: do the legion ancillaries appear at the city the legion is recruited from? Or by the blessing of jupiter optimus maximus on the general nearest to the legion waaaaaay over in syria or something.
    I do, but mainly for flavour - it's nice to 'click' on the General and see which legion he's in charge of. And yes, they will re-appear when 'lost'.

Currently (v2.5) they only appear in the specific settlements listed per legion as in the Release Thread graphic (1 per settlement) and will only appear when you have a character (General) in addition to the Governor there and only when the Roman Fortress/Curia Hostilia has been built.

When v2.6 appears they can be obtained, by the same method, but anywhere the legion can be recruited.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Senator

Well this weird AI naval spam is getting weirder, in the river in Greece north of Corinth, I had to defeat no less than SIXTY roman fleets, all of one ship of varying sizes. They weren't even blockading my ports, just hanging around there. Every turn, five or six more pop out. I'm fairly certain the AI is just building one a turn and rallying them there.

Interestingly, when I left a settlement on automanage recruitment, it produced a Bireme a turn until I turned it off. I wonder why the AI loves ships so much...

The Rebel diplomacy thing is still annoying me. I want to ally with the Arverni so badly, yet I can't because I'm at war with the Rebels. Stupid.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    Well this weird AI naval spam is getting weirder, in the river in Greece north of Corinth, I had to defeat no less than SIXTY roman fleets, all of one ship of varying sizes. They weren't even blockading my ports, just hanging around there. Every turn, five or six more pop out. I'm fairly certain the AI is just building one a turn and rallying them there.

Interestingly, when I left a settlement on automanage recruitment, it produced a Bireme a turn until I turned it off. I wonder why the AI loves ships so much...

The Rebel diplomacy thing is still annoying me. I want to ally with the Arverni so badly, yet I can't because I'm at war with the Rebels. Stupid.
    Like us AI is unnable to merge fleets so that ship spam happens.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    Like us AI is unnable to merge fleets so that ship spam happens.
    I understand why they don't merge, but it doesn't explain why they don't DO anything. They just sit there.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I understand why they don't merge, but it doesn't explain why they don't DO anything. They just sit there.
    The AI in R:TW is hardly intelligent!

Quite often you can see a huge spam of units in the Red Sea as well.

Personally, I'd never let a settlement be automanaged in any way or form.

I know some mods had an automerge units by default - I think RTR VII TIC was one of them. Personally I'd prefer to not have that as the default but it's there to help the AI.

I presume a fleet needs to be in harbour to merge. Also, if for some reason the fleets have an admiral then they can't merge - I believe that may be linked to the barracks you've built (or maybe the harbour). As soon as you've built a fleet get it out of harbour that turn.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

What does the Arcade-style battles do?

I know that theres a lot of hate for Rome out there, but hear me out:

Ive been playing this mod since 2.0 and ive noticed a few things. First of all, Im very happy that theres finally a challenge in the game and not a rampage through the enemy like vanilla.

Then again, playing as rome on hard/hard, V2.5, ive noticed some inaccuracies on historical matter. For example (and this really pisses me off) How in the name of Jupiters tight leather sandals can levy pikemen with 3 silver experience beat a roman legion with 2 silver experience. (and no im not a noob, i know how to win a battle -> missiles from behind, cavalry charges etc etc) Heck, ive even killed their 4 star general and they still kill my precious legionaries like they're insects beneath caligae. not only the elephants are overpowered it seems...

What im onto is this. Shouldnt the experience bonii for LEVY units be this high?? I mean comon, a challenge is nice but with this going on, id say the historical fun is out of the game..... and im not even talking yet about the redicule found in the emergency garrison stacks, my goodness what an elite citizenry they have sometimes

Then again, playing as rome on hard/hard, V2.5, ive noticed some inaccuracies on historical matter. For example (and this really pisses me off) How in the name of Jupiters tight leather sandals can levy pikemen with 3 silver experience beat a roman legion with 2 silver experience. (and no im not a noob, i know how to win a battle -> missiles from behind, cavalry charges etc etc) Heck, ive even killed their 4 star general and they still kill my precious legionaries like they're insects beneath caligae. not only the elephants are overpowered it seems...

What im onto is this. Shouldnt the experience bonii for LEVY units be this high?? I mean comon, a challenge is nice but with this going on, id say the historical fun is out of the game..... and im not even talking yet about the redicule found in the emergency garrison stacks, my goodness what an elite citizenry they have sometimes
    What type of terrain were you fighting these levies in? What were their armor/weapons rating? Were their armor/weapons better than yours?

The reason I ask, a unit with a higher level of chevrons with weaker armor/weapons will get roughed-up by a unit with lower level chevrons with better armor/weapons before one of them eventually breaks.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    What does the Arcade-style battles do?
    Removes Fatigue and ammunition for missile units so they can shoot forever. I think it also gets rid of some special abilities, but I'm not sure.

Then again, playing as rome on hard/hard, V2.5, ...........
    An interesting point for 2 reasons:

- Firstly, do you not expect to lose sometimes playing on Hard Battles - because that should be the expectation? The units are balanced on Medium - therefore playing on hard they get bonuses.

- Secondly I'm glad at least one other person has at least some troubles on the harder settings - I get somewhat disillusioned at all the comments of how easy VH is!

Lastly - pike phalanxes were de rigeur for over 200yrs in the ancient world - what is it that you find non-historic? Just that a legion can lose sometimes? It happened. Even against the one real Phalanx army that Rome faced, that of Pyhrrus, the Romans may have 'won', but they got badly hurt in the process.

One of the best things you can do with Levies/Militia is pack them in tight and give them long pointy sticks to keep the enemy away with; let alone that game-element where the AI raises quite a lot of them, so they need to be useful enough.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.