Thread: RS2 Multiplayer

Default RS2 Multiplayer

I am wondering if it is possible to play with other RS2 players. I use RS2 2.6 along with faster battle mod, so I'm not sure how the compatibility works. If it works, is there anyone out there who wants to play with me? I am looking for couple of partners to play RS2 online. I live North America if that helps with the available hours and all.

Default Re: RS2 Multiplayer

RTW has no multi-player mode except for Battles.......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

I don't know if it's balanced for the unit roster. EB online has a modified export_descr_unit for use in multiplayer
    Aside from that, i think MP battles with RSII could be fun. The mod has beautiful units and environment and the battles are very long.

€:Ok i just read that the EDU of 2.6 is quite balanced and the sole problem is that there aren't many players to find, and when you customized it (fast_battle_mod) everyone has to have the same modification
    Last edited by Mayer; April 22, 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Hmm so is it possible if at all to play MP with other RS2 players? Like Mayer said, I like RS2's unit design and beautiful maps. It would be awesome to enjoy that experience to the fullest versus a real opponent that poses challenge unlike the stupid AI.

I gave it a try when 2.6 first came out, but I kept getting desync errors so I gave up. I'd love to see another push for a regular group of players online. There are lots of resources in the multiplayer forum about setting things up.

Maybe we should brainstorm about what might get the player base going. Maybe a schedule of times that are good for everybody to log on, that kind of thing.

Dust off that multiplayer forum and start some threads! If we could get people together, 4v4's with voicechat would be a thing of beauty.

I still have "Evolve" installed, wow, what a long time it has been.

I never did get Evolve working, my work/kids caught up with me and curb stomped me last summer. But I would be up for playing semi-regularly again.

FWIW, I would also like to experiment with trying a mini-campaign style of play I've been thinking about for a few years. Something beyond merely a tournament. More of a risk style map with territories, and turns where money is collected, units are bought, repaired. Perhaps territory/city upgrades occur. Basically something to give teams a continuity arc from one battle to another.

How would that work out though? If it's like Risk, battles will be autsolved and there won't be as much of strategy aside from troop placement in it. Also, I am not sure how you can modify the current game to function like that either.

The strategy aspect would be played outside of the TW game. Think literally board game, but it could be maintained on paper, via spreadsheet, etc. Instead of dice rolled the battles are fought out in TW.
    Basically rather than fighting random challenge or ladder battles, think persistent units, troop movement between your territories and having to pay to maintain your units from turn to turn.
    I would like to try a small mini campaign of perhaps 20 territories, perhaps four players to start. I believe also an agreed upon number of turns would be prudent.

Any number of game rules could be adapted; Risk is the obvious one, but Vinci comes to mind also.

I actually think it can be very challenging and satisfying experience if they ever created a feature in the game where two players can play the campaign vs each other. They could take Rome and Carthage for example and give them to two players who will fight with each other. The remaining map battles with the AI can simply be forced to autoresolve to avoid one player waiting for the other issue you know. Imagine two players fighting over their cities and managing logisitics and everything. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Interesting idea.
    I think it could be done.Have a website in which you just enter some post battle numbers and continue from there.
    This MP campaign would have a map that changes based on battle data.
    For example:
    1. Rome attacks region x which is defended by Carthage.(you will pick a map that makes sense for that battle/region)
    2. Rome has x amount of units and Carthage has x amount of units.(you will use those numbers to set up the battle)
    3. Rome or Carthage wins. (remaining units will be counted for both sides and surviving units will remain in the game at full strength - because its more fun and simple that way)

This idea could support multiple players and all factions, it would still be turn based.
    The economy would be simple, maybe 2 armies for every 5 regions.
    Other rules would definitely work, as would specific scenarios.

You could definitely automate a lot of this.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Interesting idea.
    I think it could be done.Have a website in which you just enter some post battle numbers and continue from there.
    For example:
    1. Rome attacks region x which is defended by Carthage.(you will pick a map that makes sense for that battle/region)
    2. Rome has x amount of units and Carthage has x amount of units.(you will use those numbers to set up the battle)
    3. Rome or Carthage wins. (remaining units will be counted for both sides and surviving units will remain in the game at full strength - because its more fun and simple that way)

This idea could support multiple players and all factions, it would still be turn based.

Yeah, you understand what I've been thinking about doing for a couple of years now. I've started laying out the rules three times over and scrapped every one of them because they get too complicated. This is nothing new, by the way. Here is an example that's been done before with a different game: http://ron.heavengames.com/CTW/
    however with the TW series, it lends itself to supporting more persistent armies from one battle to the next. Especially as persistent armies could gain in veteran status and be upgraded as time and money permits.

So, regarding No. 3; I do believe losses of men within a unit should be tallied against it post battle, then a certain fine has to be paid in "repair" cost to bring that unit back to full strength, or be disbanded/merged with another unit.

Obviously there is a play of economy in this mess. I imagined territories bring in x amount of gold per turn which would be spent on new unit purchases or upgrade/repair of units. I do not envision growing the economy beyond the military aspect, but it could be done if the players were dedicated enough to it.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Um, if you guys sort something out I'll be willing to play (in a few months, got exams coming up).
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Interesting idea.
    For example:

Well I thought about simply autoresolving every battle to support multiple players but then a large portion of the strategy aspect lies in field battles. If you take that away, it will simply be a matter of numbers like in Risk. TW game without the field battle strategy aspect would not be as fun.
    Also, if we try to enable field battle for multiple players, it will take forever waiting for one another. Instead, what I suggested is if they forced only 2 players to play vs each other. PvP battle can either be fought in the field or autoresolved if both players agree to it. Battles vs AI on the other hand has to be autoresolved to avoid the long wait issue for the other player.

I am most interested in playing head-to-head battles to see what gameplay emerges.

However, I am totally into doing some sort of "pen-and-paper" system outside of battles.

Another idea I'm throwing into the ring: some sort of relatively freeform role-playing system that might facilitate a more "organic" operational context.

Example:

http://www.wargamedevelopments.org/matrix.htm

Shouldn't we start something in the appropriate subforum?

I'm interested in RS2 mp battles.

Just make sure to download the edu from here, first post in attachments:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...0-Now-Released!

I'll set up evolve later but perhaps we can use hamachi for now.
    炸鸡