Page 9 of 209 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: RS II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Roma Surrectum II: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Currently working on the following submod for 1-turn, pm me if interested as its still a WIP, the EDU part is mostly done, main work is now doing the AOR change and making some missing road connection (persepolis-susa, karakthiokerta-mazaka, others i dont remember the name of).

When i'm finished i'll post it in the submod section.

UNITS /EDU
    - All units except strong boats take 1 turn to recruit
    - Defense skill halved for all foot units
    - Units upkeep +50%
    - cavalry cost/upkeep increased comparatively to infantry
    - Chariots nerfed
    - Elephants morale lowered
    - Siege engine upkeep/cost upped
    - Boats upkeep/cost upped

BUILDINGS

- many buildings construction and cost severely upped
    - AOR completely revisited:
    1) the further you go from your homeland, the less you can recruit native units and regional units will gradually become available, cuminating in the enemy capitals;
    2) steppe factions can recruit their horse units on the whole map
    4) elite units from other cultures can never be recruited
    5) the AOR reflects the historical area of interest from each faction (inspired from EB)

- The max level of barracks can only be build in large cities
    - some tweaks to the campaign map including roads fix

MISCELLANEOUS:

minimap colors changed for many factions
    Last edited by Siegfriedfr; September 07, 2010 at 04:42 AM.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Possibly stupid question here, but why is it that some buildings that affect tax income for a particular settlement say that they give both a bonus and penalty to tax? No particular example springs to mind, but they list in the building description something along the lines of:

Tax income [bonus or penalty] 40%

Gets a bit confusing when trying to develop the ol' economy.

On a lighter note, thanks to the developers for releasing a fantastic mod. I've been lurking around the forum ever since I discovered RS 1.6 earlier this summer and finally decided to pull the metaphorical finger out.
    Bump.

HerzoG's Avatar Semisalis

is it possible to mod descr_strat somehow to include the Scipii into the maximus family tree?

Third Age TW - Roma Surrectum II - All under Heaven

Ive noticed from the custom battles ive played morale is almost non existant, no matter how much you surround the enemy and put them under artillery/archer fire. Im finding this leads to long drawn out battles with no chance to make decisive moves to break the enemy. It kind of reduces to the game to straight forward rock paper scissors tactics. Maybe this isnt what the mod is going for and if so i wouldnt suggest a change to the morale system and ruin it for those players who enjoy it as it is, but personally i think it would make the battles play out much better.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

There is some submods that are being created for those who think so.
    I guess that the first ones should be this week.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    Ive noticed from the custom battles ive played morale is almost non existant, no matter how much you surround the enemy and put them under artillery/archer fire. Im finding this leads to long drawn out battles with no chance to make decisive moves to break the enemy. It kind of reduces to the game to straight forward rock paper scissors tactics. Maybe this isnt what the mod is going for and if so i wouldnt suggest a change to the morale system and ruin it for those players who enjoy it as it is, but personally i think it would make the battles play out much better.
    I agree completely, I was just about to make a similar comment in this thread.

Today in my Spartan campaign I came across a Greek army near the city of Athens. We had similar style troops but they had more cavalry (as well as horsearchers). Our infantry lines clash and we fight. I manage to flank from the left, into their side and back. I was doing well, caving in the flank in with my Promachoi. They were pushing my right but it held.

After quite some time, the left I was attacking was still holding. I literally had several enemy units completey surrounded, after seeing that they weren't going to flee. 'Defeat seemed certain' to them. I push and push. By this time my right was taking heavy casualties (cavalry somehow able to push back Spartan hoplites from the front). Still I've got the majority of my troops pushing the left, who are under continous fire from the horsearchers.

And then they get reinforcements.

Nothing major, one unit of Royal peltasts and I think two units of medium cavalry.

Only one unit remains on my right. Still, I fight the stubborn remainders on my left. Then the royal peltasts come and attack the back of my left. Fresh vs Exhausted. My right is destroyed and those troops also fall upon my left; surrounding the surrounders. After a loooong while, my army and Successor are killed.

It's not even the morale, the casualty rate on the enemy's surrounded units was terrible; you have spears coming in from every side and only one man dies every minute?

Don't mean to moan, I was just quite annoyed after spending 30 mins on a battle that I should've won easily to losing my greatest general and his experienced army. Bah, you can't win them all I suppose. I'll just get my revenge when I burn Athens to the ground.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I agree completely, I was just about to make a similar comment in this thread.

Today in my Spartan campaign I came across a Greek army near the city of Athens. We had similar style troops but they had more cavalry (as well as horsearchers). Our infantry lines clash and we fight. I manage to flank from the left, into their side and back. I was doing well, caving in the flank in with my Promachoi. They were pushing my right but it held.

After quite some time, the left I was attacking was still holding. I literally had several enemy units completey surrounded, after seeing that they weren't going to flee. 'Defeat seemed certain' to them. I push and push. By this time my right was taking heavy casualties (cavalry somehow able to push back Spartan hoplites from the front). Still I've got the majority of my troops pushing the left, who are under continous fire from the horsearchers.

And then they get reinforcements.

Nothing major, one unit of Royal peltasts and I think two units of medium cavalry.

Only one unit remains on my right. Still, I fight the stubborn remainders on my left. Then the royal peltasts come and attack the back of my left. Fresh vs Exhausted. My right is destroyed and those troops also fall upon my left; surrounding the surrounders. After a loooong while, my army and Successor are killed.

It's not even the morale, the casualty rate on the enemy's surrounded units was terrible; you have spears coming in from every side and only one man dies every minute?

Don't mean to moan, I was just quite annoyed after spending 30 mins on a battle that I should've won easily to losing my greatest general and his experienced army. Bah, you can't win them all I suppose. I'll just get my revenge when I burn Athens to the ground.
    You shouldn't completely surround them because they will only fight to there deaths then.
    Show him there is a road to safety, and so create in his mind the idea that there is an alternative to death. Then strike. - Sun Tzu
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Alkimachos's Avatar EoR Modeller

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    You shouldn't completely surround them because they will only fight to there deaths then.
    Show him there is a road to safety, and so create in his mind the idea that there is an alternative to death. Then strike. - Sun Tzu
    I like it , where did you find it crazy man??

East of Rome Co - Leader / Modeller of Asia ton Barbaron / Ex beta tester of Roma Surrectum

i read dvks question thread and he said that its possible to create as many sub-families as u want.how can i create such a subfamily?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkimachos View Post
    I like it , where did you find it crazy man??
    It's from the Art of War by Sun Tzu, and I'm not crazy.
    Son of Legio

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Look at the structure of the Roman families in the Roman modfolder 'descr_strat.txt' and you'll see how it's done.

If your questions were not answered, please feel free to ask again. We're trying to keep up with things, but I'm out of town and having a hard time keeping up with all the posts.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

so do i only have to edit descr strat in the Rome campain folder to create a new character?

Okay, I have a suggestion. I think disloyalty should be a problam for AI, and that if AI sends a leaderless army into a province that is not its own it should desert within a turn or two.

Default What does it take to get a command star?

I have a few family members who have fought 4-5 battles and won, and are still zero command, you'd think they'd get a little recognition of their talent as their careers get off to a promising start.

totalwar-zone's Avatar Senator

First im sorry if it sounds like Negative, but my Suggestions are:
    I find that units flee late, that battles take a long time, the archers are fortified very good. Only you´re slightly overshot the mark in my opinion. But really a little bit, not much.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I said that? --> First im sorry if it sounds like Negative, but my Suggestions are. but I cannot describe it otherwise

Flank plays almost no role, not even with cavalry or with infantry since the Defensiv are so very high that almost circling helps, so that a unit Archers!!! flees with more than 15 men. They fight almost to death.

- In my opinion, you would have many units to reduce the morale. But the values you can keep it as is.
    - special units can keep higher morale, but for triple the already expensive maintenance cost. So as not too many of them with the player and the AI.
    - Give Arches more offensive and less defensive values. Because of the high defense of all units they don´t effective at the moment. They are also almost strong as cavalry and that is really unrealistic.They remember a little of the Elite Farmers from Rome Vanilla....

Last but not least, the Mod ist great, really, makes it much differently than known, especially in battle.
    If it stays as it is, it´s also ok.

Nice great

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What does it take to get a command star?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I have a few family members who have fought 4-5 battles and won, and are still zero command, you'd think they'd get a little recognition of their talent as their careers get off to a promising start.
    Rome, right? They're hopeless

Same here with a family member, Free Greek camp, that has won his 4th battle (i mean his 4th "great" victory, he has 3-4 averages, no loses). Maybe it's implemented in the trait system, as many of his traits give command bonuses only applicable to battlefields.

Cheers from Madrid.

(Btw Medkirtys, I'm no ultra nationalist whatsoever .)
    Beware of the Moon...

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

I fell in love with this mod after an hour of gameplay . But there are still some very big issues.

Such as pathfinding. You guys, WTF? At the beginning of a defending sally battle I put my line infantry in one group and make the front line with them, then I go to organize my other troops. But for some reason the line infantry ignore the forming order and just walk (not charge, mind you) right into the enemy lines. I immediatly rush to the troops to try to get them back in formation with multiple right clicks. Some troops do, but most suddenly stop without doing anything at all, not even fighting back. Then I just keep on pressing RMB until they finally do run away.
    By then I lose about half of every unit . I know pathfinding is always a big issue with TW games but this is just rediculous.

Then the tax reduction bonuses. Some buildings just don't make sense, -60% for a type of river in the Belgae campaign? I can understand that it will take some funds to build the thing but why does it keep reducing the tax once its finished? Remove the tax reduction bonus and make it more expensive if you have to. This is just one example of wierd bonusses in buildings.

I am also having some problems with pictures missing in building descriptions, the installation was 100% succesfull though.

Apart from this, I am totally digging this mod.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

I have three guys in my Seleucid Campaign who're leading my main armies in Anatolia who can't seem to earn a star despite the countless beatings inflicted on the Ptolemys in the area. I
    Last edited by NightEye; September 11, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

same problem here i fought each big battle ca 12 with publius cornelius scipio ,but he still has no star