Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Default Re: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Hello guys!

My name is Rollins, I've been playing Roma Surrectum for almost a year, and been reading this subforum from time to time whenever I needed some answers or directions how to play better. I have nothing but words of praise for both Roma Surrectum mod makers and TWC forum members, as mod has provided me with hundreds of enjoyable gameplay hours, and your forum replies gave me all the answers I needed to make myself a better player. You have all left me overwhelmed with the quality of your work! Thank you all, and please keep it up!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I see 2.5 is already having a beneficial effect.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    Just wanted to say this mod is truly amazing. The team that is responsible for it are truly awesome. it only saddens me that there will not be any more future releases of RS...

What will I do?
    Where will I go?
    How will I live?

I need my RS community
    Well, don't be so quick to write us off. It may well be that some of the team will call it quits, but I've kinda decided that I need the dang thing to keep me busy. It's my hobby, so why not just go with it? As a result, I have already started laying the foundation for a campaign that will be quite interesting to Roman players, I think...the Conquest of Britain. I intend (with permission, of course) to use the map from VI2 of Britain, and convert it to work with RS2. Then, from there create a campaign set in the 1st century AD when the Romans decided to conquer Britain for real. It could be very entertaining. The player would have only the 3-4 Legions that were actually used, with historical characters, a difficult recruitment situation where retrained units can only be brought from the mainland, and a big island to conquer with a crapload of regions and angry Barbarians.

There are also more things that could be done with the Seleucids and the Ptolemies that I never had time for, and another idea that keeps rolling around in my head that would just be a 'for fun' alternate history campaign based on 'what if Hannibal had helped Capua', and the Romans were defeated? What if, from then on for many years, the Romans conceded southern Italy to Capua, and remained in an uneasy peace with them as the Capuan's, with their Carthaginian allies, slowly started to gobble up Italy and leave Rome isolated in Latium?
    What if, in the absence of the Roman presence in Greece, Gaul and Anatolia....the Macedonians built an Empire in Greece and swallowed up much of Anatolia, while the Boii and Arverni pushed south into northern Italy and trapped the Romans in between themselves and the Capuans to the south.

My story line would be that the weak and fearful Senate has just conceded Ariminum to the Capuans behind their most famous General's back, who had been fighting there to keep it.
    His anger at being betrayed leads him to declare himself 'Dictator', and take over the government. His name...Julius Caesar.....only in this case, he lives and tries to restore Rome's former glory. Anyway, that's the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollins View Post
    Hello guys!

My name is Rollins, I've been playing Roma Surrectum for almost a year, and been reading this subforum from time to time whenever I needed some answers or directions how to play better. I have nothing but words of praise for both Roma Surrectum mod makers and TWC forum members, as mod has provided me with hundreds of enjoyable gameplay hours, and your forum replies gave me all the answers I needed to make myself a better player. You have all left me overwhelmed with the quality of your work! Thank you all, and please keep it up!
    Thank you sir. We much appreciate your kind words.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Well, don't be so quick to write us off. It may well be that some of the team will call it quits, but I've kinda decided that I need the dang thing to keep me busy. It's my hobby, so why not just go with it? As a result, I have already started laying the foundation for a campaign that will be quite interesting to Roman players, I think...the Conquest of Britain. I intend (with permission, of course) to use the map from VI2 of Britain, and convert it to work with RS2. Then, from there create a campaign set in the 1st century AD when the Romans decided to conquer Britain for real. It could be very entertaining. The player would have only the 3-4 Legions that were actually used, with historical characters, a difficult recruitment situation where retrained units can only be brought from the mainland, and a big island to conquer with a crapload of regions and angry Barbarians.

There are also more things that could be done with the Seleucids and the Ptolemies that I never had time for, and another idea that keeps rolling around in my head that would just be a 'for fun' alternate history campaign based on 'what if Hannibal had helped Capua', and the Romans were defeated? What if, from then on for many years, the Romans conceded southern Italy to Capua, and remained in an uneasy peace with them as the Capuan's, with their Carthaginian allies, slowly started to gobble up Italy and leave Rome isolated in Latium?
    What if, in the absence of the Roman presence in Greece, Gaul and Anatolia....the Macedonians built an Empire in Greece and swallowed up much of Anatolia, while the Boii and Arverni pushed south into northern Italy and trapped the Romans in between themselves and the Capuans to the south.

My story line would be that the weak and fearful Senate has just conceded Ariminum to the Capuans behind their most famous General's back, who had been fighting there to keep it.
    His anger at being betrayed leads him to declare himself 'Dictator', and take over the government. His name...Julius Caesar.....only in this case, he lives and tries to restore Rome's former glory. Anyway, that's the general idea.
    Oh god, its like 2012's Christmas just came early.
    Last edited by apple; March 19, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: :P

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Oh god, its like Christmas just came early.
    Oh see what you've gone and done there? In a few months, some noob will necro this and claim it was promised for Christmas. And it will all be your fault! I hope you're happy with yourself!

Patrician

LOL.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I didn't mention which Christmas

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Oh you surly did. I clearly see 2012 stated there.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Aboooze!ABOOZE!

Well Mr. Dvk I would never write you guys off. I'm happy to hear that you have ideas on future things. Your idea about the conquest of Britain is very interesting. If I may add since the Britain province was always considered a military occupation and nothing more. After the conquest in your campaign you can simulate a few rebellions. Of course the most famous rebellion which occurred well after the conquest was Queen Buddoica uprising (I think I spelled her name wrong).

Also the Capuans campaign is very interesting. An alternate history approach is always fun. But like you had said earlier if someone is to take their campaign for the long haul the problem will arise is what to do with the legions. Since the legions are Roman and the Capuans are not technically Roman thought anyone outside the city of Rome is not Roman just allies.(Technically)

And who knows. Maybe RTW 2 will come out with a whole new engine and a whole new set of problems to go with.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Wow...

I finally started playing RS 2.5, and the experience is really intensive. So far I've done only one battle, initial Battle of Lake Trasimene...which I narrowly won (on M/M). Mostly by luck, but it did changed my view of the game. From vanilla and RTR PE I got a feeling of Roman legions, even pre-Marian, being almost invincible, falling only to overwhelming numbers. Seeing Hannibal's veterans being superior to my, apparently fresh out of boot camp, legions was quite scary.

Still, I won, thanks to reinforcements from Rome, small Hannibal's mistake and loads of luck. I hope the rest of campaign will be as fun...

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    Well Mr. Dvk I would never write you guys off. I'm happy to hear that you have ideas on future things. Your idea about the conquest of Britain is very interesting. If I may add since the Britain province was always considered a military occupation and nothing more. After the conquest in your campaign you can simulate a few rebellions. Of course the most famous rebellion which occurred well after the conquest was Queen Buddoica uprising (I think I spelled her name wrong).

Also the Capuans campaign is very interesting. An alternate history approach is always fun. But like you had said earlier if someone is to take their campaign for the long haul the problem will arise is what to do with the legions. Since the legions are Roman and the Capuans are not technically Roman thought anyone outside the city of Rome is not Roman just allies.(Technically)

And who knows. Maybe RTW 2 will come out with a whole new engine and a whole new set of problems to go with.
    In the interest of having a differnt playstyle I'd say No legions for the Capua campaign. It will be nice for once to not be the most dominant faction with uber units.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

I liked the later campaign idea perhaps starting will Sulla, or Augustus.. at least then the LS legions will appear in their historical time period, and there are still loads of peoples to fight! various tribes of Germans, Parthians, Jewish revolts and civil wars....what more could you want- plus as already mentioned the conquest of Britannia
    Last edited by Constantius; March 23, 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: predictive text on my phone -spelling atrocious

Signature made by Joar

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

His anger at being betrayed leads him to declare himself 'Dictator', and take over the government. His name...Julius Caesar.....only in this case, he lives and tries to restore Rome's former glory. Anyway, that's the general idea...
    A.M.A.Z.I.N.G
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

A good one there dvk. i can help with gathering historical info if you want for the British Campaign. My vacation after a month. )
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

Patrician

This is in the very early stages, but so far I've managed to do some converting of the map I want to use:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ap_regions.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to have the Cimbri and at least 5 barbarian factions involved...but we'll see. Having a heck of a time just figuring out what to name regions.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Whats with the tiny region in southern Cork?

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

It's a rabbit hutch

God no! I'm a proud Limerickman not a dirty Corker.
    I live roughly below Concani on the other side of the Shannon.

Patrician

No idea, really. I just left that one alone. I got rid of a number of small island regions (islands are a waste, and the AI doesn't know how to handle them). But this map is from VI2....very nice mod, by the way, for BI. So the time period was in the 8-900's AD.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father