Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Re: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi Apple and entire RS team,

You guys made me think like E.B. and RTR did, that I was playing a completely different game and IT IS!

Wow, reskinned units and completely new graphics were the first thing that shifted my perception of this mod and Rome Total War and gameplay was of course the most important thing, Wow x2!!!

This is a complete success!

Perhaps Roma Surrectum and RTR and E.B. should communicate more often.

Who knows, maybe you folks can start up your own game company! Seriously.

Congradulations,
    hella1
    We work closely with the RTR team. In fact many of use (the developers) are members of other mods and that includes both EB and RTR. I myself is a member of RS, RTR and AOD2 (age of darkness 2).

The Engaged show is live now. Make sure to tune in to the live stream.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/t...tim-wu-tat-an/
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

can anyone point my in the right direction on a good book to read about Roman history, focusing on the military aspect. I read a book on the 10th Legion, which was very good. So let me know!!

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXGemina View Post
    can anyone point my in the right direction on a good book to read about Roman history, focusing on the military aspect. I read a book on the 10th Legion, which was very good. So let me know!!
    that explains your name
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

I'm the last one around here who have a complete knowledge of the subject but here's a few picks I found.

Makers of Ancient Strategy: From the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome Victor Davis Hanson
    Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual Philip Matyszak
    The Complete Roman Army Adrian Goldsworthy
    Roman Warfare (Phoenix Press) Adrian Goldsworthy

You cam send a PM to rory o'kane and ask his help. I think he is one of the best experts here in the Roman history.
    Impossible is not a fact It's an opinion. Impossible is nothing.

'The Fall of Carthage' - Adrian Goldsworthy
    "I should like to see...the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest"

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

Conn Iggluden has also written some great historical novels based on the life of Caesar. They're almost entirely historically accurate, with a few allowances for narrative I think.

The first one is called The Gates of Rome, and the series is called Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sweeper View Post
    Conn Iggluden has also written some great historical novels based on the life of Caesar. They're almost entirely historically accurate, with a few allowances for narrative I think.

I wouldn't call them almost entirely historically accurate at all, they are more novells written using event in Caesars life as support to the story.
    They are however really well written and a pleasure to read.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

If you want fairly accurate books on Caesar i would reccomend Colleen Mcullough over Conn Iggulden, the series starts with sulla and marius in the first few books, but eventually centers around Caesar/Octavian/Anthony- the author based the book titled "Caesar" on ceasars commentaries as well and although they dont all still exist she used what was left for the book- overall in the historical notes at the end she does seem to say that she did her best to portray the events as they happened with the limited material available (apparently there wasnt much info for sulla/marius).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Man-Ro...5362819&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    I wouldn't call them almost entirely historically accurate at all, they are more novells written using event in Caesars life as support to the story.
    They are however really well written and a pleasure to read.
    I would agree with you apple- still good to read thouygh as are his genghis khan ones.

Anyone who has listen to Matt Costa's new album "Mobile Chateau" ?
    It's my favorite right now alongside his two previous ones.
    http://open.spotify.com/artist/0EghvcisxKybq4CVO7rB5t
    Son of Legio

Icon13 Re: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Guys. Los Angles reached a record temperature of 113 Fahrenheit. Today, while walking from school, I felt my eyebrows burning off. And my skin was literally burning( that feeling when you touch fire). Also, apparently they say that there is a 80% chance of Earthquakes today. FML.

redhammer's Avatar Civis

113 Farenheit. That's, what, 45 Celsius? Eh, we get those every year, you'll live.

Nah, I feel for you. Here in Australia its 11 degrees (52 for you Americans) and raining. In the middle of Spring! I am unhappy.

damn 45 celsius,even thats much for me
    world IS crazy

Quote Originally Posted by redhammer View Post
    113 Farenheit. That's, what, 45 Celsius? Eh, we get those every year, you'll live.

Nah, I feel for you. Here in Australia its 11 degrees (52 for you Americans) and raining. In the middle of Spring! I am unhappy.
    Well its more or less winter in the uk now even though its technically autumn, but they are both cold/rainy/snowy seasons, so we win in the competition of who has the worst weather.

pff. we got -30 sometimes.
    It was -40 last year when I was skiing at the northern parts. And that wasn't even that much up north.
    Son of Legio

redhammer's Avatar Civis

You're Swedish, right Apple? I'm going there at the end of this/start of next year to enjoy some of your Nordic frost. Mmmm, looking forward to those short wintry days.

And Brittanicus, you live in Britain. Of course the weather's . Here in Australia we're usually enjoying lovely twenty-something degree days at this time of year.

Yep I live in Sweden, just 7 (aka 70 km, not the US miles) miles from Stockholm.
    Son of Legio

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    Well its more or less winter in the uk now even though its technically autumn, but they are both cold/rainy/snowy seasons, so we win in the competition of who has the worst weather.
    It's depressing isn't it! I'm having to get up earlier and earlier for work and now it's dark when I get up. I hate it, I feel like I should still be in bed!

It's depressing isn't it! I'm having to get up earlier and earlier for work and now it's dark when I get up. I hate it, I feel like I should still be in bed!
    I'm glad i only have to work over the summer, but i had to get up at 5 am so it was dark anyway, but now im back at uni- i still have to get up early, because whoever organises timetables fails at life- seriously i only have 26 hours of lectures/labs a week when im at uni- why do they insist on starting all the days at 9 am.

O yeah I agree. I hate when I have to get up for school when it's dark and come home when it's even darker.
    Son of Legio

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    O yeah I agree. I hate when I have to get up for school when it's dark and come home when it's even darker.
    I don't have it quite so bad, but I definitely hate the impending darkness

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed