Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a quick view (completed)

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Just a quick view (completed)

Ok, this will not be a fully blown AAR, just a view on the phenomenal mod so far.

I started as HE (VH/VH) and managed to defend Imladris. I was kinda slow to realize that Imladris is the capital and that I'm missing out on heaps of money. Anyway, while defending Imladris I also attacked Isengard and defeated it with Rohan's help. The bastards (Rohan) managed to snatch the citadel though.

Anyway, things started rolling in the right direction fast, the goodies allied all over, OotMM and those other Orc faction were destroyed by me and Dwarves. Even Arnor got reforged. Silvans and Dale were beating the crap out of Rhun and started gnawing on Mordor. Only Gondor has bitten the dust but Rohan seemed to have taken its place quite well. It seemed almost boring, we'd triumph soon. The ring was found by my general and he and others were sent with two full stacks to destroy it.

Than things got messy.

Dwarves decided they were trapped (or something) and declared war on the Silvans. Soon Dale did the same! Naturally I kept my alliance with fellow elves.

I got to the Black Gate and... screwed up. My forces were going to take the damn castle but I had no ladders, just catapults. As I was manoeuvring them to destroy the inner ring, the balista towers destroyed all of them! With all the army inside the castle... I didn't know that you will loose everybody inside the castle! So... my great army vanished and the ring is waiting to be found again (I guess, otherwise Mordor has it).

Goodies are fighting all over and it seems as though I am the only one who notices that formerly formidable Rohan is on the loosing side with Harad and Mordor. I retook Isengard but I might have a hard time keeping it because colonies around Moria are all threatened.

Mordor is sending stacks and stacks against us and the goodies just don't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation. My expeditionary two-stacks force up the Anduin proved insufficient and got slowly ground and I lost both Osgiliaths. And I barely saved one of my best generals, lost two.

This is where I'm at. Unsure whether Mordor has the ring and what that would mean, goodies fighting each other and me being the only one concentrating on saving Rohan and fighting Mordor.
    Last edited by Space Voyager; October 21, 2010 at 03:07 AM.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Just a quick view

quite the opposite in an Eriador campaign of mine. Finally got Arnor rebuilt around turn 120, but at a cost, most of my towns were very small still and Rohan had been beaten with Gondor hanging by a fingernail. I've pushed down the the estuary of the river Isen, the border with Mordor as it stands. But haven't yet declared war, since I'm terrified still of the endless stacks they could send my way.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Quote Originally Posted by sirfiggin View Post
    quite the opposite in an Eriador campaign of mine.
    That is the beauty of it, it can happen any way now, I think the balancing is very good!

An update;

Actually, it turned out that the ring was already found again by one of my generals. I have no idea when that happened and it didn't happen in Moria. So I'm gathering forces for another push, while trying to beat the incoming stacks.

The army with the ring-bearer was given a really good general so that the ring-bearer is not its leader. I just don't like it...

An army was also forged in the "motherland" and sent via ships to help Rohan. I hope it arrives on time as Rohan is really on the edge. Another army was sent up Anduin but now I am unsure what to do with it. It will probably try to make it towards the army holding Isengard (and vice versa), though something will have to be done in the South. Harad is just HUGE and I really want to keep Rohan alive, fighting all the battles becomes tedious.

Perhaps I should give them Isengard, it still has a large Northmen influence. But it is an almost completely built up citadel (the only one I have) and I'm greedy...

At least Silvans and Dwarves seem to have noticed the Mordor stacks, but the majority of those changed course towards Moria! Currently I'm fighting them one by one and those trolls are a pain in the behind! It doesn't matter how good a unit you send, one blow one kill. So I started training basic units and I'm showering them with arrows.

, boss came. Need to go.

EDIT; Anyway, even basic units are very limited with Elven factions. So no swordsmen spamming etc. And I absolutely hate archer-heavy armies so it gets pretty expensive.

I have hired my first Ent unit. Sadly it got intercepted while en-route to the main army and destroyed! Man, was I angry... Now I'm wondering the forests and searching for a new one... I think there are two spawn places and can't remember where the other one could be (the one I hired them in was around Fangorn, below Moria). Please do tell if you do.
    Last edited by Space Voyager; August 19, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

So... my relief army was too slow. Rohan is no more. Rhun sadly still lives, but Mordor and Harad have become real war machines. Stacks and stacks of their troops are flowing constantly and I'm really having a hard time fighting both... Not to mention how time consuming that is!

I'm still searching for damn walking trees. I'll have to look it up here in the forum.

The only weapon that seems to work against Mumakils are ballistae (and fire arrows). And even than - if they chose to run over them, not even three ballista units wouldn't do crap against them... Once they charged my general and his unit went from 50 to 9 in one single charge. It was pure luck that he lived another day. Than their single unit stomped all over my army and decimated it in a matter of seconds. I'm all vh/vh but that oversized elephant is a bit much... On trolls at least continuous cavalry charges work, here they are simply stomped and that's that.

So my turns are spent training archers nowadays. What I hate the most, but it is not like I have a real chance otherwise.

Also my desperate attempts to bring Arnor into the blue were in vain due to cultural differences as I learned later. Crap.

Good luck!
    I think Ents only appear as mercenaries in every 25 or so turns, so you'll need to wait.
    Try to get an alliance with the dwarves, that way they won't fight the silvans any more and lure them into fighting mordor with giving them some settlement. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Good luck!
    I think Ents only appear as mercenaries in every 25 or so turns, so you'll need to wait.
    Try to get an alliance with the dwarves, that way they won't fight the silvans any more and lure them into fighting mordor with giving them some settlement. Just my 2 cents.
    DAMN it, why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?! Sometimes things so close to your nose that you don't see them I guess.

Vacation is over and the war continues. I'm having huge problems with Harad and the only reason are Mumakil. Without siege equipment you're toast against those and that I do now have A LOT. But the hordes are unending... I did advance some more into former Rohan, I am nearing what used to be Gondor in multiple directions.
    I don't know how the finances work but to me it seems as though it would come in waves. Sometimes I have loads of though and in other times I am broke. It may have to do with me adjusting the tax rates of some settlements for growth when I'm rich AND training units like mad at the same time; than you are left with lower income and a much higher cost for upkeep at the same time - and this leads to the financial downtime. Soon I readjust the taxes, some units are lsot and voila, the good times are back. Rinse and repeat...

Dwarves are slowly beating the Silvans and I definitely WILL try to ally with them, thanks to Radzeer's advice. Dale, too. I hope they will both agree and we can start to fight the bad guys again. If it was not for my advance, Mordor would probably have already erased them all, stupid fools. Dale for instance has stopped its Rhun campaign, otherwise they should be eradicated already IMO. Why fight Rhun, when you can fight SILVAN ELVES, right?! Argh!

On the good side I did finally get a new unit of Ents. FINALLY. Seemed like waiting forever, but it could be 25 turns... As you can see, my campaign is a slow one. Lately I have an in-game slowdown (Harad), but I also don't have a lot of time to play, having two small children does this to you. I play games more than I should anyway.

See ya!

Great, good luck! I was hoping that you did not give it up!

Ehm, there is no "alliance" option?! Probably exactly because they are at war with SE...

My bad! I think I did not remember right, sorry.
    Apparently you cannot directly ally with the enemy of your ally. What happened in my case was that I had two allies, one declaring war on the other thus I had to break alliance with one of them, but a turn later I re-allied and they made peace.
    I wonder if there is a way to work on relations (although it is really hard in VH/VH) so when you have better relations with both there may be a greater chance that they stop fighting (and then you have to quickly ally with both).

Apologies for my memory breakdown.

No problem whatsoever. I don't remember when this was possible, perhaps RTW. I remember it as well.

So. Lands of Rohan have become the fiercest battlefield of this game... That is where my High Elves, Mordor and Harad got entangled into a swirl of death. Three of my generals have fallen, two of those VERY good generals. One of them trampled under the feet of DAMN Mumakil. The other was a victim of my overstretched forces, he was left with insufficient guard in a castle on the battlefront, sieged by a stack of Mordor and died like a hero.

I have surrounded a Harad army in a castle in the middle of Rohan, but they have a full stack and FIVE Mumakil units. So I need some serious siege firepower or I'm doomed. I was wondering how my Ents would fare against them but judging from unit types they would simply be trampled like grass. Errr... Elven infantry.

What I need to do is get more elves. More and more elves. I'm training an army in homeland and building ships to get them where I need them. That will take like 9-10 turns. And I'm training in all settlements worth using and not building buildings that would have no immediate effect.

I'll also have to drag some new generals into the fight or I'll be left with no army leaders. And that MUST NOT happen.

EDIT; Oh, forgot: I was looking for a way to get Arnor into the play. Finally there was a Bree crusade called, he he he! This time I didn't bring my forces there. Bree was taken by Harad and now Arnor is at least trying to regain that single settlement, making Harad to spend some dough on a new front! Phenomenal. I'll only intervene if the culture % in Bree starts to fall.
    Oh, even more stuff I forgot; I decided to help the Silvans. This may eventually lead to war with the Dwarves but you know, it's a game! Let's have some fun! I think Silvans are very weakened now and I'm looking over two of their settlements at Fangorn (which I took from Mordor). If these get atacked, we take a stand together, dammit!
    Last edited by Space Voyager; September 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Arnor

Meh, Arnor is unable to destroy a single Harad city in the middle of their territory?!?!?! I guess decades of peace made them really soft... I'm not helping them until Harad starts training Mumaks behind my back!

I lost a legendary general due to my own stupidity. He survived a helluwa lot before I was able to get him to a brand new army just for him. Than I torched him with my own catapult in the next turn, ARGH!!!

The past few turns could be described as "The Empire Strikes Back". I got too stretched out and was unable to hold to what I conquered. So I lost three settlements, none of them strategically important though. Two Mordor, one Harad. But our armies are being trained and I think we'll hold what is left. The cities with no armourer are training units and those are fitted with armour when the cities with armourers are unable to train any more. Not that this armour matters when a Mumakil stomps them...

Even that five Mumak army is being melted slowly in a city. My besieging army has three catapults and a balista and I'm waiting for a sally for three turns now. Oh, I'm not going in, no way...

The only thing that is not good ATM is sea supremacy. I wanted to go for a mass port blockade when Harad produces its huge navy and... well, the admirals barely survived. As long as the army the ships are carrying makes it to the shore and I'm fine with it.

Looks like a fascinating campaign!

I lost a legendary general due to my own stupidity. He survived a helluwa lot before I was able to get him to a brand new army just for him. Than I torched him with my own catapult in the next turn, ARGH!!!
    That has happened to me too once. It was not a great guy, but I was still pissed...

This quick view is getting out of hand... I thought it would be a fast campaign and like five posts, now it drags... Sorry for that.

As far as I know, SE are reduced to two settlements. I'll start both funding them and defending their two settlements more actively. I have two young four stars generals en route to the battlefield, thankfully our daughters married well, he he he!

Also I managed to keep the finances a bit steadier, I don't like the ups and downs. As far as Harad goes I'm keeping it in check at river crossings and bridges, right now I can't make any huge advances. But Mordor is slowly yielding, its stacks are destroyed on turn basis. Our naval forces are growing, too, and I have my first 3 star admiral! Soon we'll start the push for Harad docks if I have anything to say about it. I'm actually thinking about adding a screen or two if this continues to drag.

EDIT: What is somewhat stalling me as well is my lack of spies. Every good general's army MUST be equipped with at least two as I can't kill off the enemy assassins. So constant guarding is necessary. This also means the frontline settlements. So very few spies can be sent to actual spying and our field of vision is pretty narrow.
    Last edited by Space Voyager; September 14, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

Well... ... ... DAMN!

Remember the city with 5 Mumakil units I was besieging? Its army sallied the last turn as normal. The thing I found fascinating was that the number of people did go down, BUT THE NUMBER OF THE DAMN BEASTS DID NOT!!! So those units remained full, except the archers on them. Like I care much about those...

But ok, I have three catapults and a balista. THAT CHOSE NOT TO FIRE!!! Seriously, enemy units were well within range when I manually targeted the Mumakil units but my siege equipment did NOTHING. I have no bloody idea what was the cause of it but NOTHING. I have a feeling siege eq. may have a problem with targeting stretched units, which is what you get when units start getting out of a city en mass.

So I stand there, like 2000 army, and the enemy, like 350, bursts out. The catapults enjoy the view and Mumakil charge instantly. My whole army was almost instantly trampled under 20?, 25? goddamn oversized elephants!!! If I did not have a backup army trickling in, I would have lost, seriously. My army attacked the Mumakil in one huge charge and was promptly minced. Luckily I managed to man the two catapult units again and those managed to get Mumakil running amok while I made some remaining reinforcements pick up ladders and go for the city... CRAP, did I swear...
    EDIT: I lost 1500+, the enemy 350 and change. As far as I remember, the worst ratio in my whole TW history...
    Last edited by Space Voyager; September 15, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

Catapults and ballistas can be really slow picking up enemy targets. Did you let them fire on their own, or told them to shot at the mumakils? Sometimes I found that it takes forever for them to execute my orders, especially if the enemy army is constantly moving.
    It's strange that mumakil don't lose the dumbos. Trolls can go down during siege.
    Good stuff!

At first I let them on fire at will, after all kind of crap started flying out that gate, in range, and they were not firing, I went for manual targeting. Didn't help.

Trolls are heavy infantry and they behave differently from units that have the mount detached from the riders (elephants only originally). So trolls would diminish as everybody else, these damn Mumakil obviously don't. They would probably go down if the number of riders was smaller than the number of mounts, which is next to not possible because there are so many archers on them.

I did take my frustration out on some Mordor stacks...

Ah, I see your point!

I got my revenge, I GOT MY REVENGE!!! Three-Mumakil-units army with a multi-star Harad general attacks my two catapult and a ballista (and all the rest, naturally) army on the bridge at Adorn... MUUUAAAAHAHAHHA!!! All Mumakil units are hit by my catapult barrage, turn BACK amok and stomp all over their army.

A second army, delivered by ships from Mithlond and Forlond, has started from Lond Angren. Former Gondor lands are full of rivers, so I might need to go for a river-to-river approach. One army guards the rear pass, the other advances to the second bridge. Or something. Mumakil are just too much, if they charge instantly NOTHING Elves field can stop them.

I finally dlled the detailed map so I can name cities we fight for at work, too.

I think I'm getting the upper hand of things. Arnor got rid of Harad at Bree and Dwarves will be occupied by a new invasion to Thranduil's Halls for a while. I paid both Dwarves and Dale to attack Rhun, just to give SE a rest. Cause if the don't, I'll be at war with them too and that would cost me more than any payment I give them.

I stated fielding even more siege weaponry against Harad 3-4 units) and I'm fielding it far apart. So that if one is run over the other still shoots at Mumakil. This way I rescued the first crew a couple of times already and got them back to the siege weaponry. Sieging Derwath and advancing towards Pinnath Gelin.

The other front is turning from Mordor only to Mordor and Harad. Edoras is held by Mordor, but Dunharrow and below is Harad! I'm thinking about that quick strike into Mordor and destroying the ring again, I think we could make it. At least it is worth a try as it would be much more fun than the slow advance I'm experiencing. If only those imbeciles Dwarves and Dale remembered that their real enemy is the BAD guys, not Silvan Elves... We'd wrap this game up LONG ago if they didn't start to mess it all up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast