Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RS2 Bloom effects

Default RS2 Bloom effects

I'm starting a new thread here as I'm sure some people may be interested in tweaking this post release so here are some guidelines and screenshots of where we are now with the effect. In my opinion it's well worth using as it gives more character, better lighting and overall enhances the experience in most battles.

Firstly, some screenshots:

One of the improvements gained from using the darker bloom settings is better looking night battles:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Overall the settings are looking pretty good now:

Secondly, the code.
    As things stand, there is a tick box in the launcher to activate the effect. What this does is to copy three files from a folder called /data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF/HDR into your game...
    These files are:
    1) d3d8.dll (this is the effect) - gets copied into your RTW root directory
    2) enbseries.ini - this is the configuration file that can be edited - gets copied into your RTW root directory
    3) a customised descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt file

Furthermore, within /data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF/HDR are two folders - light and dark. These contain two different copies of the enbseries.ini file which allow different settings - a darker effect and a lighter one. If you don't like the darker effect, try copying the settings over from the light folder.

This is the code for the bloom configuration files.

[PROXY]
    EnableProxyLibrary=0
    InitProxyFunctions=1
    ProxyLibrary=
    [GLOBAL]
    UseEffect=1
    AlternativeDepth=1
    AllowAntialias=1
    BugFixMode=1
    SkipShaderOptimization=1
    QuadVertexBuffer=1
    [EFFECT]
    EnableBloom=1
    EnableAmbientOcclusion=0
    EnableSkyLighting=0
    EnableReflection=0
    EnableMotionBlur=0
    EnableWater=1
    EnableShadow=1
    DepthBias=1
    EnableOcclusion=1
    [INPUT]
    KeyUseEffect=123
    KeyBloom=120
    KeyOcclusion=121
    KeyReflection=122
    KeyCombination=16
    KeyShadow=119
    KeyWater=118
    [REFLECTION]
    ReflectionPower=24
    ChromePower=20
    UseCurrentFrameReflection=1
    ReflectionQuality=0
    ReflectionSourceSpecular=100
    ReflectionSourceTFactor=100
    UseAdditiveReflection=1
    ReflectionDepthBias=1
    UseLowResReflection=0
    ReflectionSinglePass=0
    [BLOOM]
    BloomPowerDay=12
    BloomFadeTime=200
    BloomConstantDay=5
    BloomQuality=0
    BloomScreenLevelDay=30
    BloomCurveDay=4
    BloomPowerNight=12
    BloomConstantNight=6
    BloomCurveNight=3
    BloomScreenLevelNight=20
    BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=40
    BloomAdaptationMultiplier=20
    BloomAllowOversaturation=1
    [SSAO]
    UseFilter=1
    OcclusionQuality=1
    FilterQuality=1
    DarkeningLevel=50
    BrighteningLevel=50
    IlluminationLevel=10
    AdditiveIlluminationLevel=5
    UseAmbientOcclusion=1
    UseIndirectLightning=1
    [COLORCORRECTION]
    DarkeningAmountDay=8
    ScreenLevelDay=55
    ScreenLevelNight=0
    DarkeningAmountNight=80
    GammaCurveDay=2
    GammaCurveNight=5
    ColorSaturationDay=50
    ColorSaturationNight=50
    UsePaletteTexture=1
    [PLUGIN]
    WeatherMod=0
    [WATER]
    UseWaterDeep=1
    WaterDeepness=20
    WaterQuality=1
    [SHADOW]
    ShadowFadeStart=160
    ShadowFadeEnd=320
    ShadowAmountDay=120
    ShadowAmountNight=60
    ShadowScreenLevelDay=120
    ShadowScreenLevelNight=40
    ShadowQuality=0
    UseShadowFilter=1
    FilterQuality=1
    [ENGINE]
    ForceAnisotropicFiltering=0
    MaxAnisotropy=0
    ForceDisplayRefreshRate=0
    DisplayRefreshRateHz=60
    [MOTIONBLUR]
    MotionBlurQuality=0
    MotionBlurVelocity=100
    MotionBlurRotation=100

As far as I can tell only those parts in red either work or have some helpful purpose. Reflection does work, but it causes unwanted reflections with certain elements on the battlemap like big rocks and cliffs, presumably due to their underlay layers. Sadly, ambient occlusion and so on don't appear to work in RTW. So basically what we're left with are the bloom effect and colour correction. The curve parameters affect contrast of both the effect and the background. You can toggle the whole effect on and off using Shift+F12 and the bloom alone (leaving the colour correction still working) using Shift+F9.

I have to admit I've not played around much with parameters like colour saturation, and the bloom adaptation values, but I'm sure some of you will want to experiment. I'm also not sure whether the colorpalette parameter works or not - basically this allows you to shift the whole spectrum of colour into a different hue, I think.....could be interesting....for those that have watched the Lord of the Rings films and particularly the appendices about post production editing, you may get the idea of what we could possibly do if this works.

Do please feel free to experiment and see whether you can improve on what rsslcs and I have done, and share your findings here.

UPDATE - 24/8/10

I've updated the darker bloom settings as the whole game had become too dark.

Settings are now:

[BLOOM]
    BloomPowerDay=7
    BloomFadeTime=2000
    BloomConstantDay=6
    BloomQuality=0
    BloomScreenLevelDay=35
    BloomCurveDay=2
    BloomPowerNight=7
    BloomConstantNight=6
    BloomCurveNight=3
    BloomScreenLevelNight=25
    BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=70
    BloomAdaptationMultiplier=30
    BloomAllowOversaturation=1
    BloomMaxLimit=70

[COLORCORRECTION]
    DarkeningAmountDay=25
    ScreenLevelDay=35
    ScreenLevelNight=20
    DarkeningAmountNight=35
    GammaCurveDay=3
    GammaCurveNight=4
    ColorSaturationDay=5
    ColorSaturationNight=-5
    UsePaletteTexture=0

As I understand things now, these are the only parts of the enbseries.ini code that work in RTW, other than reflection, which unfortunately picks up some of the layers around big rock objects and so on.

So, what do the settings do?

BloomScreenLevel
    It's important to understand how the bloom differentiates between day and night as it doesn't understand that from the game. The way it does that is to use screen brightness to determine whether it's day or night. So these parameters determine at what level the cut off comes for day and night....

BloomScreenLevelDay=35
    BloomScreenLevelNight=25

i.e. below 25% of maximum brightness (white), the bloom effect will choose "night" settings rather than day settings. Max = 100%

BloomPower
    Determines, I think, the strength of the effect, i.e. how much smearing of the bright areas happens - higher levels cause more smearing and spread of brightness (bloom). Max = 100

BloomPowerDay=7
    BloomPowerNight=7

BloomConstant
    Determines the amount of this smeared signal that gets added in to the image, I think. Range 0-100

BloomConstantDay=6
    BloomConstantNight=6

BloomCurve
    Affects the contrast of the bloom effect - negative values more foggy, positive values more contrasty. Range -10 to 10

BloomCurveDay=2
    BloomCurveNight=3

BloomAdaptationScreenLevel
    Affects the screen brightness threshold at which the bloom effect is reduced....for example on snow scenes, and the multiplier is the % of maximum bloom brightness that it will be reduced to:

BloomAdaptationScreenLevel=70 (0-100)
    BloomAdaptationMultiplier=30 (0-100)

BloomAllowOversaturation
    Switches oversaturation on and off (0 or 1)

BloomFadeTime
    Is the time in milliseconds that it takes for transitions in bloom effects, so you don't end up seeing flickering between "day" and "night" settings or when the bloom adapation threshold is exceeded.

BloomQuality
    Affects the effect quality - 0 is maximum, 2 is minimum. You may find that performance is improved a little by changing from 0 to 1 or 2

Colour correction
    Colour correction settings work in much the same way.....with ScreenLevelDay and ScreenLevelNight determining the threshold for whether day or night settings are used. GammaCurveDay and GammaCurveNight affect the contrast (values -10 to 10), and DarkeningAmountDay and DarkeningAmountNight affecting the brightness of dark parts of the spectrum. Negative values makes brighter, positive darker. Day and night is computed from overall screen brightness. When this value is negative, dark pixels of screen became brighter and bright screen pixels almost do not change. When this parameter is positive, dark pixels became even more dark and bright pixels stay the same.
    Last edited by tone; August 24, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Default Re: RS2 Bloom effects

Will the darker effect detract from performance anymore then the usual bloom will?

No. Bloom really has only very minor effects.....although if you have a really low grade video card, you may struggle a little more as from what I understand, bloom effects are handled only by the graphics card.

I suspect the lack of performance hit is because we can't actually use some of the more interesting things like Ambient Occlusion which probably use a little more GPU power.

Also, just to say that you could probably use the night settings from the darker version instead of the ones in the light version....anyway it'll soon be yours to play with.

One more thing....GTA ViceCity v0.005 is the latest version that we got to work, but again do feel free to play around and see whether you can get any more recent versions/configurations to work...http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm
    Last edited by tone; August 18, 2010 at 06:43 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

So bloom effects are not included in game?

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian121 View Post
    So bloom effects are not included in game?
    Not in vanilla RTW, no.

But from my post above....

As things stand, there is a tick box in the launcher to activate the effect. What this does is to copy three files from a folder called /data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF/HDR into your game...
    These files are:
    1) d3d8.dll (this is the effect) - gets copied into your RTW root directory
    2) enbseries.ini - this is the configuration file that can be edited - gets copied into your RTW root directory
    3) a customised descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt file

SO when i install mod, i need activate bloom effects?

Is this will make game slower? For weak PC's?

I, myself have learnt myself that ENBSeries actually slows your PC, how have you improved it?

SO when i install mod, i need activate bloom effects?
    In the launcher you can activate it or deactivate it.

Bloom will probably have a small impact, but I've found it to have very little, if any, effect on performance.

I, myself have learnt myself that ENBSeries actually slows your PC, how have you improved it?
    Read above for my thoughts about why this is... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...14#post7904214
    Ultimately though, different people have different hardware configurations and some may find that bloom causes a bigger performance hit.
    Last edited by tone; August 18, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Just to clarify, the screenshot above is the launcher which is used to launch the game each time you play, not an installer program.

Looks really good! Just 1 thing - I'm not a regular here, so don't really know what's happening - where can I get this 'launcher' or how can I get this effect otherwise - since the code you posted up there... I don't know what to do with it 8/

The launcher will be included in the RS2 download....the shortcut created when you install will point to that.

Looks amazing

Am a bit puzzled by the Praetorians; surely they are the Cohors of the Praetorium, thus Cohors Praetoria / Cohortes Praetoria/ae?

Faxas's Avatar Libertus

Excellent launcher ! It's a real +

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

You guys are just totally teasing now aren't you.....

But the bloom looks awesome..and the launcher....and the units.....and the terrain...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

WHERE IS IT....!!!!!!!!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Thanks a lot Tone;this will be very usefull ! +rep

And now you guys can unleash it for us ! hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Bloom will probably have a small impact, but I've found it to have very little, if any, effect on performance.
    Ok thnx, but what this mean Post-Marian Roman General?

Ok thnx, but what this mean Post-Marian Roman General?
    You select that after the Marian Reforms have hit to get the new model for the Roman general.

This thread actualy is abaut bloom effect, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

Read above for my thoughts about why this is... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...14#post7904214
    Ultimately though, different people have different hardware configurations and some may find that bloom causes a bigger performance hit.
    Will the launcher work if we have the steam version of RTW?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast