Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion About Ports

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Suggestion About Ports

I was playing the mod the other day and i noticed that Germany only has one port, and its a trade port, so that means no navy for Germany

This gave me an idea, we should combine the ports, trade and dry dock, this will not only open up more trade for all it will also allow all nations to build a decent navy not just the big guys.

As for the techs for the dry dock, those techs could simply allow you to build larger ships, by passing the need for upgrading the dry dock itself.

What do you guys think?

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

Default Re: Suggestion About Ports

I like all these ideas, smaller nations should also be able to buy big navys !

Very good idea, I was wondering about the same thing. But I think we shoud still keep the dock upgrades, even if for nothing else than greater recruitment capacity.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Would mean more money floating around which could only be good.

Great idea!

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Sounds good! I'm all for this idea if it's possible (making drydocks able to trade is the only thing that I don't know if it's possible), since Germany is currently slightly at disadvantage in terms of naval power, which it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Well Trading docks are able to trade, add the other Naval units to that, and just change the name and picture of the dock = no problemo.

Great idea I like it.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Doesnt germany have another harbour at kolberg?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Yes it has two, but this idea is better anyway I think.

Yeah think it would be a good idea, as the AI never changes the port type by itself meaning some countries won't get navies even if histrorically they would have had one
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Yeah think it would be a good idea, as the AI never changes the port type by itself meaning some countries won't get navies even if histrorically they would have had one
    Wrong.

In my experience, Germany quite rapidly transforms her trading ports into military drydocks, which means that in a period of perhaps 12 turns, they have an impressive navy. This is on VH/VH.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Wrong.

In my experience, Germany quite rapidly transforms her trading ports into military drydocks, which means that in a period of perhaps 12 turns, they have an impressive navy. This is on VH/VH.
    Hmmm really? I haven't really looked too much with TGW, but in vanilla it's certainly the case that the AI retains it's commercial ports. Perhaps Thor did something a while back
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

It depends how realistic you want the mod to be...Smaller nations...and i'll take my own home country as example, Belgium...should hardly have a navy. We ddin't have a big navy back hten and we don't have a big navy now. Imo small countries with huge navies is completly silly.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenji View Post
    It depends how realistic you want the mod to be...Smaller nations...and i'll take my own home country as example, Belgium...should hardly have a navy. We ddin't have a big navy back hten and we don't have a big navy now. Imo small countries with huge navies is completly silly.
    But how are small countries going to fund these large navies ?

The limitation will always be money aswell, this will stop Belgium from having a large navy.

Yeah, navies take ALOT of investment
    My specs:

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post

The limitation will always be money aswell, this will stop Belgium from having a large navy.
    hmm i dunno...i noticed money came fairly easy.

But perhaps you are right..adding to that that it takes a lot of turns to create a decent ship it might not get out of control.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Well Trading docks are able to trade, add the other Naval units to that, and just change the name and picture of the dock = no problemo.

Great idea I like it.
    Yeah this is what i was thinking, then the techs will just allow you to build bigger ships at the trade port

Glad you guys liked the idea

EDIT: What no rep for my great idea?
    Last edited by B-DizL; August 18, 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

I'll give you some rep BDIZZLE

I know I'm such a suck-up

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great idea, indeed!
    [Col] RO Citizen

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

unless you conquer europe with belgium belgium is the new superpower people lets face it

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

I like it, have some rep, On me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast